Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Wuxia-type of love exist in real life?

Default Does Wuxia-type of love exist in real life?

In wuxia, we often see couples fall in love (usually for the first time) and their love never seems to ceases and only grows deeper as their relationship progresses. Unlike real life, people usually go through many failed relationships before they meet that special someone who they would eventually marry and we know 50% of marriages end in divorce. So I ask does Wuxia-type of love exist in real life? Or should I say does true love really exist or is it very much only a fantasy?

No. And a person can go nuts wishing that it does.

Maybe people are smarter than I give them credit for, but I've always felt that wuxia novels should come with a disclaimer: "Don't try this in real life." I don't mean just the dangerous martial arts stunts. I also mean in the way people handle their relationships.

I'm a believer of true love do exist of course. You can love your family dearly, so why can't you hold true love for your other half. Though the protagonists of most of JY's novels does seem to have a higher rate of finding true love then in real life it seems. But of anyone, why would you even have any doubt of the existence of real love Yeung Gor?
    Last edited by superboy; 08-14-05 at 03:21 AM.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Quote Originally Posted by superboy
    I'm a believer of true love do exist of course. You can love your family dearly, so why can't you hold true love for your other half. Though the protagonists of most of JY's novels does seem to have a higher rate of finding true love then in real life it seems. But of anyone, why would you even have any doubt of the existence of real love Yeung Gor?
    When I was young, I believe in true love, partly because of watching alot of wuxia films. But as I grow older and gone through many failed relationships and witness the same with my friends. It only makes me doubt it even exist. Even people who stays married tells me that they only remain with their spouses because it's a formality. One of my friend who is married for 10 years told me he feels sad because he doesn't love his wife anymore. He still like her but no longer in love with her. But he will remain with her because they have a family. That's just one example of many others. I look around and I see and hear people breaking up and finding new lovers. It never seems to stop. People can't seem to fall in love and stay in love with the same person forever. So it makes me doubt that true love exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    When I was young, I believe in true love, partly because of watching alot of wuxia films. But as I grow older and gone through many failed relationships and witness the same with my friends. It only makes me doubt it even exist. Even people who stays married tells me that they only remain with their spouses because it's a formality. One of my friend who is married for 10 years told me he feels sad because he doesn't love his wife anymore. He still like her but no longer in love with her. But he will remain with her because they have a family. That's just one example of many others. I look around and I see and hear people breaking up and finding new lovers. It never seems to stop. People can't seem to fall in love and stay in love with the same person forever. So it makes me doubt that true love exist.
    It's quite disillusioning, isn't it? Real life can really forcefully imbibe masculine gonads sometimes.

People can't seem to fall in love and stay in love with the same person forever.
    That's infatuation, not love. People do crazy things when they think they are in love (i.e. infatuated).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    It's quite disillusioning, isn't it? Real life can really forcefully imbibe masculine gonads sometimes.

Yes it is. Perhaps that's one reason I'm such a big wuxia fan, not just for their martial arts but for their display of true love, both are elements of pure fantasy.

Yang gor , we humans are basically animals and animals normally have more than one sex partner. Go figure

this is out of all the couples in JY, I like LHC and RYY the best, it is more realistic at least compare to the others.

True love is an illusion. Remember all these stories are only fictions. They might resemble real life but not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepiraph
    True love is an illusion. Remember all these stories are only fictions. They might resemble real life but not the other way around.
    Sometimes I wonder if it is at all possible to free ourselves from this illusion. In my case, it is an impossibility because the passion for love runs so deep that it's essentially part of my being.

Well, we do have high separation rates today due to increased temptations and greater acceptance of divorce for no real reason (e.g. boredom, heat of the moment), compared to the ancient days where if you marry one, you will have to stay togather for the rest of your life. You are comparing today with a society where poeple can marry ecah other without meeting first. there are bound to be dfferences.

And about marraiges not lasting with time, love can change over time. You may marry with the type of love that is very hyped up and very obvious (e.g. YG + XLN), but you will slowly change to a more calm and subtle love which is less obvious because you have already grown used to it, but it doesn't mean you don't love that person as much (e.g. middle-aged HR + GJ)

Of course, we have to be realistic here, how many people can find true love the first or second time? And through failed relationships, aren't we shaping ourselves to be better partners in future relationships and increase the stay-together rate? (e.g. LHC kind of first with YLS, then RYY)

And it is not only today that we have couples splitting because of infedelity, emotional torture and uncompatible personalities! Ever heard of a couple called Qiu Qian Chi and Gong Sun Zhi?

Cheer up YG!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Does Wuxia-type of love exist in real life?
    Of course. I just got out of my cave today and 4 gorgeous babes were fighting over me.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by hentaixp
    Yang gor , we humans are basically animals and animals normally have more than one sex partner. Go figure
    Not all animals do. Don't forget the yuan yang (Chinese/Mandarin duck), the creature who represents true love.
    There're actually several species of animals who mate for life.

The love in wu-xia novels isn't a unique kind of love in literature. You can find this kind of relationship in all kinds of books and stories. I personally believe in true love; it's just most likely most people won't get a chance to experience it, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoYu
    Not all animals do. Don't forget the yuan yang (Chinese/Mandarin duck), the creature who represents true love.
    There're actually several species of animals who mate for life.
    When it comes to birds, however, it's more a matter of automatic instinct/biological programming. Birds have very simple nervous systems that cannot comprehend such abstractions as love. In fact, to date, human beings are the only creatures that we know for certain to be capable of that.

When it comes to birds, however, it's more a matter of automatic instinct/biological programming. Birds have very simple nervous systems that cannot comprehend such abstractions as love.
    Certainly. I wasn't comparing humans to birds biologically, merely stating that there do exist animals who pair off for life. Whether or not they feel any "love" for each other like humans do wasn't in my statement. I just said they represent true love, and are a classic symbol of everlasting devotion and finding one's soulmate in Chinese culture.

In fact, to date, human beings are the only creatures that we know for certain to be capable of that.
    I don't know if humans are the only creatures who experience "love" vs "lust" or pure biological attraction. I think some creatures of higher intelligence also know love. Maybe it's not at our level, but maybe it is. We humans also experience different levels of love, so I think it's kind of hard to say what exactly counts and what doesn't.

You're only as faithful as your options.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Of course. I just got out of my cave today and 4 gorgeous babes were fighting over me.

haha.. friend, you have quite a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    haha.. friend, you have quite a life.
    Yeah. Friends told me I should "get a life", so I got one, and they are now green with envy.

/end BS mode
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

i think it is very difficult to find zwj's type of love, esp from zm.
    wei xiaobao's sort may exist provided you house is stacked with US dollars.
    ah zhu's sort of love for xiao feng may also exist, like a woman waiting for a man to establish his career.

hmm, that's why i too love wuxia love instead of who vs who.