17 34.69%
  • Sweeper wins

28 57.14%
  • Both Die

4 8.16%
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweeper vs. Dugu Qiu Bai

Default Sweeper vs. Dugu Qiu Bai

I dunno if this has been mentioned before, I'm new and too lazy to check. If anyone knows of this can u please refer me to the thread.

I think Dugu might be stronger since we never heard of him fight. ONly know he was so good, his sword skill was perfected. HIs name was mentioned in many stories, from ROCH to LDJ....so he must be something...Song/Yuan Dynasty till Ching...known for martial art, even Huang Sheung wasn't mentioned that way...

Sweeper Monk is an unknown character who can fight really well, but Dugu is like almost god like since no one ever seen him fight, only know his legacy.
    Everything in the World can be solved by Violence, Diplomacy is a waste of time...Just ask George W. Bush

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealMan
    Sweeper Monk is an unknown character who can fight really well.
    i think the beauty of sweeper monk is that everyone knows that his wuxia is great though he is unknown. was it Ken who once mentioned that he is the most mysterious fighter in jin yong universe?

I would have given the most mysterious title to Dugu Qiubai. Sweeper Monk is the most enlightened. We cannot understand him or know him, but we all have the potential to be him.

This is like debating who will win in a fight.... Superman or Son Goku
    I wish people would back their assertions about facts with facts.

Just because something is your opinion, doesnt necessarily make it true.

Because Dook Goo Kau Bai is so mysterious, it's impossible to really, accurately measure him up against anyone. It's possible that he could kill the Janitor Monk as if the latter were like a fly. It's also possible that *I* could kill Dook Goo Kau Bai with my letter opener. A few artifacts and some rather bold and outrageous claims are all we know about Dook Goo Kau Bai.

Let's go with what we know. At some point late in ROCH, Jin Yong said something to the effect that Yeung Gor had more or less accomplished everything that Dook Goo Kau Bai had accomplished, and that even if Dook Goo Kau Bai were alive, he could teach Yeung Gor nothing more. Yeung Gor at the end of ROCH was one of the New Five Greats -- not definitively better or worse than any of the other four, but definitely a peer. At best then, Dook Goo Kau Bai was a bit better than the ROCH Greats.

The Janitor Monk was a known quantity. We know that he could squash Kiu Fung-level fighters (i.e. Siu Yeun San and Mo Yung Bok) as if they were insects...effortlessly. The Kiu Fung-level fighters were about the same level or maybe slightly better than the ROCH Greats.

Dook Goo Kau Bai lamented that he had never been defeated. Had he met the Janitor Monk, I'm *sure* he would've gotten his wish.

Dugu is certainly the stronger of the two. I believe JY intended Dugu to be the ultimate unbeatable fighter.

Ken, why then is Dugu's legacy so well known, yet the Sweeper remains different and unknown?

probably because no one said anything i guess...but many know of dugu through LHC and YG?

also why would Jin Yong keep on mentioning Dugu like he is some sort of god....?

Sweeper did get hurt by XF no?
    Everything in the World can be solved by Violence, Diplomacy is a waste of time...Just ask George W. Bush

Ken, why then is Dugu's legacy so well known, yet the Sweeper remains different and unknown?
    Actually, neither was well-known. In the case of the Janitor Monk, it was a matter of choice. He didn't care for fame or power. He had no interest in making his name or his skills known to the world at large.

As for Dook Goo Kau Bai, who knows what happened? A swordsman with the level of skill he allegedly had should have been famous for the ages. But in the era of L/ROCH, the Greats, who were among the most knowledgeable martial arts experts in the world at the time, had never heard of him. Goodness knows why.

probably because no one said anything i guess...but many know of dugu through LHC and YG?
    They know of Yeung Gor and of Ling Wu Chung, but not much about this mysterious Dook Goo Kau Bai whose training artifacts and theories they benefitted from.

also why would Jin Yong keep on mentioning Dugu like he is some sort of god....?
    Two of Jin Yong's heroes benefitted from Dook Goo Kau Bai's theories. He undoubtedly was an excellent martial arts theorist and *probably* even as good a swordsman as advertised. "Godly", however?

Not until he proves capable of resurrecting the dead.

Probably only because the Janitor Monk let him. Siu Yeun San and Mo Yung Bok were at the same level of martial arts as Kiu Fung and neither could lay a finger on the Janitor Monk.

I believe DQB to be above or at the same level like TSTL and her martial art sister and brother.

But no way he could beat SM, only DY might have a chance with his 6smj if he absorbed all of XZ internal energy

I'll say Sweeper Monk. He too can easily claim himself without a match under the sky too, and at least we see him in action in person. THough I would say that being without a match througout one's lifetime should be impressive, others such as DFBB and a few others are also peerless in their novel.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Dugu was mentioned alot for his legacy for defeating fighters. Sweeper Monk doesn't go around fighting, so what is there to mention about Sweeper Monk. Also Sweeper Monk is best to be remember as an enlightened monk, not as a supreme fighter. The monk symbolizes peace. And in term of martial arts, he doesn't have any martial art to pass down to evoke for more violent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    At some point late in ROCH, Jin Yong said something to the effect that Yeung Gor had more or less accomplished everything that Dook Goo Kau Bai had accomplished, and that even if Dook Goo Kau Bai were alive, he could teach Yeung Gor nothing more.
    That's not Jin Yong. That's Yang Guo thinking about himself, being arrogant as usual. When he almost got his arse handed to him fighting the GWM (OK, exaggeration, he wasn't doing too well against the monk) he realised that he should've brought the Heavy Iron Sword with him (back to the stage he thought he had long passed).
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    That's not Jin Yong. That's Yang Guo thinking about himself, being arrogant as usual. When he almost got his arse handed to him fighting the GWM (OK, exaggeration, he wasn't doing too well against the monk) he realised that he should've brought the Heavy Iron Sword with him (back to the stage he thought he had long passed).
    Where did Yeung Gor leave the Heavy Iron Sword when he wasn't using it? He didn't have a permanent home at the time, so I'm curious as to where he stored it. Did he put it back in its original hiding place in Dook Goo Kau Bai's cave?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Where did Yeung Gor leave the Heavy Iron Sword when he wasn't using it? He didn't have a permanent home at the time, so I'm curious as to where he stored it. Did he put it back in its original hiding place in Dook Goo Kau Bai's cave?
    Not sure. Perhaps he left it at Xiang Yang before the battle? Who knows. It wasn't mentioned in the 2nd ed AFAIK. The third edition readers may know something about it.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Wong Chongyang also claimed to be the most undefeatable fighter of his era.

Default Sweeper Monk

The Sweeper Monk was dead sure of his power and felt no need for acclaim. He used it only when left with no options. This modest and peaceful person gave himself the task of cleaning, while knowing it was menial and never ending. He was a great counter point to the usual egotistic martial arts practitioners.

IIRC it was mentioned by the narrator (JY) that YG had mastered all he could (i think from the heavy iron sword art not Dugu's complete skills) and even if Dugu could come back there was nothing much more that he could teach him. Something similar was also mentioned when he was up against the mongolian mercenaries as well again by the narrator.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Even if the assumption is true that Dugu can not teach YG anymore, it doesn't necessarily mean these two are of equal abilities. We are not aware of how high Dugu's inner power is. When YG was mastering the wooden sword, he understood how powerful Dugu is and was in total awe. Also, Dugu is a martial arts genius of no parrallel so there is no way YG can use Dugu's skill the way Dugu would have. It's like XF can use 18 Dragon Palm better than anyone who learns it.

Yeah, XF's Dragon Palms was so good GJ made refinements to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    Yeah, XF's Dragon Palms was so good GJ made refinements to it.
    Well, XF did master XL18Z very well, however, GJ simply made it more refined with his 9 Yin internal energy in order to conserve energy while still being able to maintain its power.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"