Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Ah Au

thanks jade_frosts. let me try to get the facts right.
    1. ah wang = lady oman
    2. the third shogun = ah wang's step-son?
    3. the fifth shogun = ah wang's step-grandson?

sorry, my other question is where one can find the episode in english.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts
    Keishoin isn't Lady Oman (who appeared in the second installment). According to historical facts, Keishoin became a lady-in-waiting of Lady Oman's (Keishoin's mother remarried the steward of a noble family, and Lady Oman was a relative of that family). Later on, Lady Oman recommended Keishoin as a concubine for the third Shogun and Keishoin consequently bore the fifth Shogun, Tsunayoshi.

As the shogun, he has no qualms doing such things but in Akuri's case you have to watch on to see his rationale. Tsunayoshi somehow comes across as a boy-child rather than a man, probably a result of his exceptionally close relationship with his mother.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    thanks jade_frosts. let me try to get the facts right.
    1. ah wang = lady oman
    2. the third shogun = ah wang's step-son?
    3. the fifth shogun = ah wang's step-grandson?

sorry, my other question is where one can find the episode in english.
    1. ah wang = lady oman
    2. the third shogun = ah wang's husband
    3. the fifth shogun = ah wang's step son

There are no details of the show in english besides the drama synopsis.

2. the third shogun = ah wang's husband
    3. the fifth shogun = ah wang's step son
    thanks again. may i ask the following:
    1. Keishoin gave birth after Ah Wang?
    2. Ah Wang's son (third in line) did not become the shogun?
    3. Who took the place of the fourth shogun?

I'm no expert in Japanese history so you might like to try googling for the information. I do know that the fourth (Ietsuna) and fifth shogun (Tsunayoshi) were step brothers.

In the Ooku series you watched, Hoshino Mari plays Otama (later Keishoin after she entered the buddhist order), the future mother of the fifth shogun and Lady Oman's lady-in-waiting. I supposed she was called Ah-Yu in Chinese.

In the Ooku series you watched, Hoshino Mari plays Otama (later Keishoin after she entered the buddhist order), the future mother of the fifth shogun and Lady Oman's lady-in-waiting. I supposed she was called Ah-Yu in Chinese.
    thks. yes, based on the series, Ah-Yu took care of Ah Wang's son. I am still wondering whether the fifth shogun is actually ah wang's son.

Nope he isn't her son. It is a historical fact that Keishoin (Otama) is the fifth shogun's natural mother.

Anyway in the next episode:

Ooku ~ Hana no Ran: Episode 2

Just as Yasuko makes an attempt on the Shogun's life, a female guard posted just beyond the bedchamber asks her if it is worth the destruction of her family. This prompts Yasuko to reconsider her desire for revenge and she refrains from assassinating the Shogun.

The Shogun seems very besotted over Yasuko but Oden-no-kata (the mother of the Shogun's two children) doesn't share his sentiments. At a banquet, Oden-no-kata offers to pour some sake for Yasuko but "accidentally" spills it on Yasuko's kimono. She then offers to replace Yasuko's kimono with one of her own and orders Yasuko to follow her back to her quarters. Once there, Oden-no-kata's ladies-in-waiting restrain Yasuko and make her disrobe to her undergarment. Oden-no-kata takes out a knife and attempts to stab Yasuko in the throat. Just at that moment, thunder claps and a terrified Shogun rushes into the palace in search of Yasuko.

The thunder storm gradually subsides. Like a child, the Shogun clings to Yasuko and she asks him why he is afraid of thunder. The Shogun tells her that Keishoin, his mother, would lock him in a shed when he neglected his studies and wouldn’t let him out, even when lightening struck. He was rescued by Yasuko's mother, Akuri, whom he loved very much because she was always kind to him.

One day, the Shogun decides to let Yasuko and her former husband, Narizumi, meet privately and the two make a suicide pact. Sometime later, Yasuko visits Kaneiji Temple to fulfill her suicide pact with Narizumi. As Narizumi prepares to stab Yasuko in the throat, Yasuko suddenly starts vomitting, and he guesses that she is with child. Try as he might, Narizumi cannot bear to kill Yasuko. The palace guards soon arrive and capture the couple. Keishoin orders Narizumi's decapitation, and the couple are incarcerated in Yanagisawa's (the Shogun's other trusted advisor) residence. When Yasuko's pregnancy is confirmed by a physician, Keishoin chuckles. Behaving as if nothing has happened, Keishoin orders Yasuko to return to the palace, but Yasuko pleads with Keishoin to let her see Narizumi one last time.

Back in the palace, news of Yasuko's pregnancy has reached Oden-no-kata and Nobuko, the Shogun's official wife ...

thanks, jade_frosts. looks like an extremely interesting series.

No problem! I'm glad I don't live in such treacherous times. Anyway time for some trivia: The fifth shogun Tokugawa Tsunayoshi was succeeded by his nephew because he was unable to father a male heir to the throne. So much for being waited on by so many women.

Default Ooku ~ Hana no Ran

Ooku ~ Hana no Ran: Episode 3

With her pregnancy, Yasuko's status within the inner palace is swiftly elevated and the Shogun becomes more partial towards her. As a result, Yasuko's anguish grows. Keishoin learns from a Buddhist priest that Yasuko's child will be a boy and is greatly pleased at the turn of events as it presents her with an opportunity to reduce Oden-no-Kata's clout.

The Shogun promotes Yasuko's father, Makino Narisada but the speed at which this has taken place hurts Yanagisawa's pride so he introduces a new woman, Someko, to sleep with the Shogun in a bid to regain ground. Someko agrees to do so only because she is in love with Kitamura.

Oden-no-Kata finds Yasuko's presence a thorn in her flesh. Already the mother of a boy, who's succession to the shogunate is almost guaranteed, she worries that her position as mother of the future Shogun would be threatened if Yasuko's child is also a boy. She then entreats Keishoin to make her son the heir to the throne but Keishoin reminds her of her humble background. As her insecurity builds up, Oden-no-Kata finally broaches the subject of an heir to the Shogun. The Shogun is furious and says its as though he were going to die young.

A banquet is held to celebrate Yasuko's pregnancy. The Shogun invites Yasuko’s father to participate in one of the stage performances but this upsets Yasuko because she hates him for the death of her mother and husband. She rises from her seat and runs out of the room. Yasuko paces around the garden, trying to avoid her worried father. Oden-no-Kata calls out to her to view the blossoming peonies. As Yasuko carefully steps down the stairs, her sandal strap breaks and she takes a tumble (this is no accident but a premediated act to make Yasuko lose her baby). Her father tries to save her but they both fall. Makino is injured and in pain but he pulls out a book with Akuri's last words to show Yasuko. After listening to her father, Yasuko realises that the death of her mother and husband cannot be in vain and she vows to herself that she will be strong.

When she next meets Oden-no-Kata, Yasuko warns the former that if a similar incident occurs, she will have the Shogun deal with Oden-no-Kata.

Some time later, the beauty Uemon no Suke from Kyoto agrees to enter the inner palace.

(More palace intrigues await...)
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 12-04-05 at 05:34 AM.

thanks, jade_frosts again. so at the current moment, the shogun has:
    1. wife = Nobuko
    2. concubine 1st = Oden-no-kata with two children [son and daughter]
    3. concubine 2nd = Yasuko [pregrant with a boy supposedly].

i am a bit confused though. is it right that in the end, the fifth shogun was succeeded by his nephew because there is no male heir?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    thanks, jade_frosts again. so at the current moment, the shogun has:
    1. wife = Nobuko
    2. concubine 1st = Oden-no-kata with two children [son and daughter]
    3. concubine 2nd = Yasuko [pregrant with a boy supposedly].

i am a bit confused though. is it right that in the end, the fifth shogun was succeeded by his nephew because there is no male heir?
    Yup what you've said is correct. Tsunayoshi the fifth shogun was succeeded by his brother's son. Although he fathered boys he may not have had a male heir in the end because they never survived to adulthood or were silently murdered by scheming courtiers/wives. Such a thing was common in those days.

The drama is now at episode 7 so I'll try to update faster once I get over with my exam this weekend.

The drama is now at episode 7 so I'll try to update faster once I get over with my exam this weekend.
    thks again. take your time. good luck to your exam.

Ooku ~ Hana no Ran: Episode 4

The arrival of Uemon no Suke, a woman of beauty and intellect, causes a great stir in the inner palace. Uemon no Suke had been summoned by Nobuko, the Shogun's official wife. Keishoin suspects Nobuko has an ulterior motive for inviting Uemon no Suke. On her way to the Myokendo Temple in Yanagishima, Keishoin meets Uemon no Suke who tries to win her favour by proclaiming words of admiration. In spite of herself, Keishoin enjoys this thoroughly but she soon grows increasingly suspicious. Once again, Oden-no-kata's inferiority complex deepens when she learns that Uemon no Suke had neglected to give her greetings to her alone.

With the intention of testing her son's reaction, Keishoin raises the topic of Uemon no Suke before the Shogun and Yasuko but he just says he only wants to see how beautiful Uemon no Suke is.

Uemon no Suke starts holding lectures on songs and Japanese classical literature in the inner palace and the ladies-in-waiting are ecstatic. This spurs an uncultured Oden-no-Kata into taking action, and she frantically starts studying poetry.

During one of her lectures, the Shogun passes by along the corridor. Enraptured by the loveliness of her voice, the Shogun peers in, and when he catches sight of the beautiful Uemon no Suke, he is immediately root to the spot. The Shogun tells Uemon no Suke that he is impressed by her recitation and asks her to continue with her lecture. He then proceeds to sit-in.

When Uemon no Suke poses a question, Oden-no-Kata smoothly answers with an explanation of Genji (The Tale of Genji), but it turns out that her explanation is incorrect. Shamed before an entire audience, Oden-no Kata's countenance changes, and her hand holding the secretly concealed explanatory book shakes in embarrassment.

When Uemon no Suke poses a question, Oden-no-Kata smoothly answers with an explanation of Genji (The Tale of Genji), but it turns out that her explanation is incorrect. Shamed before an entire audience, Oden-no Kata's countenance changes, and her hand holding the secretly concealed explanatory book shakes in embarrassment. Just at that moment, the Shogun gives the correct answer and Uemon no Suke goes all out to flatter him. As if on cue, Keishoin makes a move to instigate her son to make Uemon no Suke one of his concubines.

When Yasuko hears of this, she entreats the Shogun to reconsider as she thinks it isn't excusable to do this to Nobuko, but the Shogun angrily berates her for being impertinent.

Keishoin tells Nobuko that she intends to put forward a proposal to make Uemon no Suke one of the consorts of the Shogun. Nobuko rejects this, but Uemon no Suke declares "It is not only the will of Keishoin sama, but also the Shogun. I know that that is also your wish." A stunned Nobuko later relates her encounter to Yasuko.

One day, when the Shogun and Uemon no Suke are together, she convinces him that he should let her win his love first and talks him into putting her in charge of the inner palace. The next day, the Shogun addresses the ladies of the quarters, saying, "From this day on, Uemon no Suke will take charge of the inner palace." With this, Uemon no Suke takes one step toward fulfilling her ambitions.

When Yasuko aims a smile towards Uemon no Suke and Nobuko, Oden-no-Kata misinteprets it as a mockery. She later calls out to Yasuko, pushes her into the bathroom and accuses her for conspiring with Nobuko and Uemon no Suke, calling her a jinx. As Oden-no-Kata draws near Yasuko, the latter backs away but falls into one of the baths. Seeing this, Oden-no-Kata flees, placing the wooden bar across the door, so Yasuko cannot get out.

Yasuko manages to haul herself out of the bath, but cannot open the door. Her abdomen starts hurting and she collapses on the floor ...
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 12-08-05 at 02:41 AM.

thks, jade_frosts. it is getting more and more exciting.

Default Ooku ~ Hana no Ran Episode 5

Back after the long break! Apologies for the delay...

Ooku ~ Hana no Ran Episode 5
    Yasuko’s baby’s life is endangered. As she drifts towards unconsciousness, words of encouragement from her parents and husband before their deaths flash through her mind inspiring her to put up a fight. She takes out her mother’s hairpin that she wears as a keepsake and manages to lift the bar across the door before losing consciousness. She is discovered by Otowa, brought to the delivery room, and gives birth to a healthy baby under the Shogun’s frantic encouragement. The boy is named, Chomaru. The birth of an heir rocks the inner palace.

Uemon no Suke, who suspects that something suspicious happened in the bathing quarters, tries to trick Oden-no-Kata into telling the truth, asking the latter why she caught sight of her fleeing the bathroom.

Chomaru is growing healthily. The Shogun starts spending all his time in Yasuko and Chomaru’s room. This incurs Nobuko’s wrath.

One day, Yasuko and Oden-no-Kata happen to meet. Yasuko tells Oden-no-Kata that she won’t divulge the incident in the bathing quarters to anyone. With tears in her eyes, Oden-no-Kata cries out, “The heir should be Tokumatsu!” to Yasuko’s retreating figure.

Nobuko tries to instigate Yasuko to secure Chomaru’s succession, since Oden-no-Kata no longer has the Shogun’s favour but Yasuko thinks this will create a great deal of resentment in many quarters. Uemon no Suke agrees with Yasuko’s views. ‘Until I win Uemon no Suke over, Yasuko … she who went against me …’ And so an inconceivable thought grew in Nobuko’s jealous heart.

Keishoin meanwhile is bothered that the Shogun is neglecting his duties and spending too much time with Yasuko and Chomaru. Under instructions from Keishoin, Yanagisawa approaches Oden-no-Kata and tells her, “It’s dangerous for a boy of Chomaru’s age. If he were to eat one of fallen unripe plums in the garden, he’d be poisoned and lose his life.” Oden-no-Kata then coaxes her son, Tokumatsu, to feed Yasuko’s child with an unripe plum but when the two children play together, Chomaru gets so excited with the play that he falls off the verandah and injures himself. Oden-no-Kata’s scheme fails.

One day, not long after the fall, Oden-no-Kata brings her son Tokumatsu to Yasuko’s quarters to pay “his younger brother” Chomaru a visit. Yasuko has something to attend to, so she leaves Chomaru in the care of her maid and Oden-no-Kata. With Yasuko away, Oden-no-Kata’s starts scheming. She sends the maid on an errand and then tries to force-feed the unripe plum to Chomaru. Chomaru chokes. Overwhelmed, Oden-no-Kata orders Chomaru to spit the plum out, helps him by hitting his back and then runs away in guilt.

Yasuko meets Nobuko along the corridor as she returns to her quarters. The two of them enter Yasuko’s room, only to find Chomaru collapsed on the floor. Yasuko rushes to Chomaru’s side and shakes him but gets no response. Nobuko quietly slips away, leaving a terrified Yasuko alone.

At that moment, Oden-no-Kata’s handkerchief is discovered and Yasuko believes the former is the culprit. Unknown to Yasuko, a person was laughing loudly at her plight.

Meanwhile, Someko, the woman Yanagisawa had introduced to the Shogun, discovers she is pregnant with Yanagisawa’s child (Yanagisawa had realised he loved her and the two became lovers) ....
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 01-16-06 at 07:07 AM.

welcome back, jade_frosts. hope that you pass with flying colors for yr exam.
    the story is getting more intriguing. wonder if Chomaru die? he is the second son, so he has right to be the shogun, right?

I'm not so optimistic about my exams but thanks.

Do you think he will live? If he survives this round there will be other attempts on his life.

Finally found some pictures of the main characters of Hana no Ran.

The shogun, Tokugawa Tsunayoshi (Shosuke Tanihara)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.fujitv.co.jp/oh-oku/photo/cast_tsunayoshi.jpg')

The official wife, Nobuko also known as Midai-sama (Norika Fujiwara)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.fujitv.co.jp/oh-oku/photo/cast_nobuko.jpg')

The concubine, Oden-no-Kata (Eiko Koike)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.fujitv.co.jp/oh-oku/photo/cast_oden.jpg')

The beloved concubine, Yasuko (Rina Uchiyama)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.fujitv.co.jp/oh-oku/photo/cast_yasuko.jpg')

The next official wife(?), Uemon no Suke (Saki Takaoka)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.fujitv.co.jp/oh-oku/photo/cast_emonsuke.jpg')

The shogun's mother, Keishoin (Kyoko Enami)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.fujitv.co.jp/oh-oku/photo/cast_keishouin.jpg')
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 01-16-06 at 11:14 PM.

The cast of Ooku ~ Hana no Ran

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.fujitv.co.jp/fujitv/news/report/photo/20050921oooku_01.jpg')

Do you think he will live? If he survives this round there will be other attempts on his life.
    If my gut feeling is correct, he will survive this round but not the next. but, the first son will also die unexpectably. Only the daughter is left.
    thks for the pictures. the shogun looks so mild - can't imagine he "forcing" women to sleep with him.

Haha well that's why we chinese say 'ren bu ke mao xiang'.

Anyway because I'm getting lazy, I'll just give a brief summary of the impt developments in episode 6 or I'll never get it translated till weeks later:

Ooku ~ Hana no Ran Ep 6: Highlights
    - Chomaru dies
    - A ceremony is held to officially designate Oden-no-Kata's son, Tokumatsu, the next Shogun
    - Tokumatsu dies not long after a bout of fever
    - Yasuko and Oden-no-Kata get into a cat fight over their dead sons and Yasuko starts wondering who the actual culprit is
    - Someko bears a child that Yanagisawa tries to pass off as the Shogun's
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://wwwz.fujitv.co.jp/oh-oku/photo/sto_06_05.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://wwwz.fujitv.co.jp/oh-oku/photo/sto_06_06.jpg')
    Last edited by jade_frosts; 01-19-06 at 03:39 AM.