Thread: HL18P

Default HL18P

Just curious, inventor of the original HL18P, anyone? Is this ever mentioned in the novel? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Xi Men Chui Xue
    Just curious, inventor of the original HL18P, anyone? Is this ever mentioned in the novel? Thanks.
    I'm guessing it's XF but I could be wrong. Maybe an older generation Begger Clan leader, since its their signature skill.

It's not XF. I forgot who created it, just remmeber that XL18Z is based on parts of I Ching.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Hong Lung 18 Palms was first mentioned by Jin Yong in the first edition of LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES published during the late 1950s. In that first edition of LOCH, North Beggar Hung 7 Gung was the inventor of the Hong Lung 18 Palms. In the mid-1960s, however, Jin Yong wrote DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS, which took place 100 years before LOCH. Problem: Jin Yong wanted Kiu Fung, one of the main characters of DGSD, to have the Hong Lung 18 Palms, but how was this possible when he had already said that Hung 7 Gung invented this martial art (100 years after Kiu Fung's time)? Solution: revise LOCH. In the second and third editions of LOCH, the creator of the Hong Lung 18 Palms was one of the earliest Beggar's Union Chiefs (not sure if he was the union's founder, though) who invented the palms based on his studies of the Taoist philosophy text I-Ching (AKA The Book of Changes ).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Hong Lung 18 Palms was first mentioned by Jin Yong in the first edition of LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES published during the late 1950s. In that first edition of LOCH, North Beggar Hung 7 Gung was the inventor of the Hong Lung 18 Palms. In the mid-1960s, however, Jin Yong wrote DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS, which took place 100 years before LOCH. Problem: Jin Yong wanted Kiu Fung, one of the main characters of DGSD, to have the Hong Lung 18 Palms, but how was this possible when he had already said that Hung 7 Gung invented this martial art (100 years after Kiu Fung's time)? Solution: revise LOCH. In the second and third editions of LOCH, the creator of the Hong Lung 18 Palms was one of the earliest Beggar's Union Chiefs (not sure if he was the union's founder, though) who invented the palms based on his studies of the Taoist philosophy text I-Ching (AKA The Book of Changes ).
    Explains why I always felt Hung 7 Gung was the inventor.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    Explains why I always felt Hung 7 Gung was the inventor.
    Yea, I always felt the same way. But then it didn't make much sense cause XF used it in DGSD centuries before H7K, so I assumed XF invented it.

Is Xiao Feng's HL18P stronger than Gwok Jing's even though he never studied Nine Ying? Was it because of his Shaolin Inner Power Cultivation?

Quote Originally Posted by Radken
    Is Xiao Feng's HL18P stronger than Gwok Jing's even though he never studied Nine Ying? Was it because of his Shaolin Inner Power Cultivation?
    Xiao Feng's HL18P probably increases in aggresiveness due to his natural physical strength, but not necessarily better than Guo Jing's refined HL18P.

Isn't Gwok Jing's refined HL18P is just the same skill with a Nine Ying boost? So if Xiao Feng were to learn Nine Ying, wouldn't he truly be invincilbe?

Just a thought.

For a long while now Xiao Feng reminds me alot of Terry Bogard. Anyone who's familiar with The King of Fighters games might know what I mean. Like how both fictional characters don't have alot of skills but make the most out of what do they have and manage to overcome almost everyone else with mostly their sheer determination to win.

GJ's HL18P(9yin) > XF's HL18P(normal)

GJ's HL18P(9yin) < XF's HL18P(Drunken, Pissed off, Head full of rage)

Isn't Gwok Jing's refined HL18P is just the same skill with a Nine Ying boost? So if Xiao Feng were to learn Nine Ying, wouldn't he truly be invincilbe?
    GJ achieved his 13 after-affects of XL 18 Palms not only by extracting essential theories from the 9 Yin Manuscript but also taken principles out of Vacant Fist. (This is not explicitly stated, but it’s dead obvious he did that if you understood what Vacant Fist was all about) Never was it stemmed from his internal force base, 9 Yin or QZ. This is a misconception made from a surprisingly high number of posters, even Chinese readers for the matter.

With this 13-overlapping sequence of forces, he’s only improved it for the benefit of his own style drawn from Taoist concepts. Which enabled him with spare energy at his disposal. Simply put it, when it’s applied in combat he won’t lose that easily. However, it doesn’t mean in anyway his power has been elevated to a higher scope. E.g. we can see how he’s capable of producing invisible walls of energy, without many problems. But generating high walls of invisible energy, which are a trademark of XF’s aggressive XL 18 Palms, is hard to imagine for him.
    Last edited by Hanky Panky; 08-25-05 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanky Panky
    GJ achieved his 13 after-affects of XL 18 Palms not only by extracting essential theories from the 9 Yin Manuscript but also taken principles out of Vacant Fist. (This is not explicitly stated, but it’s dead obvious he did that if you understood what Vacant Fist was all about) Never was it stemmed from his internal force base, 9 Yin or QZ. This is a misconception made from a surprisingly high number of posters, even Chinese readers for the matter.

With this 13-overlapping sequence of forces, he’s only improved it for the benefit of his own style drawn from Taoist concepts. Which enabled him with spare energy at his disposal. Simply put it, when it’s applied in combat he won’t lose that easily. However, it doesn’t mean in anyway his power has been elevated to a higher scope. E.g. we can see how he’s capable of producing invisible walls of energy, without many problems. But generating high walls of invisible energy, which are a trademark of XF’s aggressive XL 18 Palms, is hard to imagine for him.
    mmm... interesting.

It was stated that his withdrawal of the palm (the suction) is more powerful than the actual palm force. As when he faught the QZ at begin of ROCH. This sounds like vacant fist in action.

Thanks for the clarification, guys.