Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Fan-Fiction Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Wow, PJ is on a fanfic reading spree! Feel free to hop on over to mine if/when you have time
    I will.
    ^_^
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

PJ should read Ren's stuff on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and read mine on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays...leaving Sunday open to either take a break from reading or read other people's stuff.

Hah!

Incidentally, I have a new tagline
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Lol, it really doesn't take that long to read fanfics. If I'm on a spree, I can finish 3-4whole fanfics in a day.

OK since there is actually someone who responded in my thread, and also since PJ mentioned that he will read, I will try my best to update every 5 days. Time to finish the other half of the new chapter!

I'm in such a 'posty' mood...feel like going through and responding to entire thread

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    Recently, I've been watching a spate of serials with either really unsatisfactory endings, or irritating/bad plots that could've been better with some tweaking.

My question is, can anyone tell me if there are fanfics that are sequels of shows with such problems? Are there other dissatisfied fans out there like me who wished that a particular series could've ended differently, or the plot could have been developed in another direction? Anyone know where can I find them? Input would be much appreciated.
    This idea has been hanging in my mind for ages...eerie when you encounter someone who shares exactly the same sentiments. It's not only unsatisfactory endings...there have been so many times when I would like to see different interactions between two couples in the series. My current is: Liu Liang and Princess Chai from Young Yang Warriors. I am very tempted to write a fanfic about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi
    Wuxia novels are now a rage in mainland China and the Chinese have a much higher literary standard than Hongkongers.
    That's quite strange, as HK has been most recently assessed (at the 15yo) to be 2nd most highly educated country compared to 157 other countries I believe. Does that say something about people who watch HK dramas perhaps? Or does not HK dramas inspire very literary writings?

Quote Originally Posted by aisa_etinu
    I've got a question for all you wuxia writers out there; I've been checking out the story vault and there're a lot of cool stories. I'm wondering if you guys do any research before planning out your stories, or if you're doing them based on imagination and already published wuda stories. As in, do you bother establishing a dynasty, style of speech, clothing/hairtyles, part of the country, etc, or do you just take a plot and run with it, and kind of make up a China for your plot? Also, did you decide the ending from the very beginning, or make it up as you went along? I'm curious, because I'm trying a story out and I'm hoping for some tips from people who've already finished their wuxia stories!
    I find the best stories are well researched ones. I'm very sure many people have fabulous imaginations out there, but when a plot is styled with a researched background, I believe it serves a point of 'realistic' reference for readers to orient themselves. When readers can identify with some idea/concept that is real to them, and triggers that slight suggestion the story could ride the line between fiction and fact, it becomes more profound I believe. Like when you watch a really scary horror movie, and at the end, credits note it is based on a true story...sure sends chills down my spine. e.g. Jin Yong, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Juliet Marillier.

I suppose I follow how Long researches...doing it mid-writing. I believe it is the little, subtle details that have the greatest impact, e.g. how one portrays period mannerisms and customs. Settling up a visual scene for the reader is very important for me - once in the scene, the work is to communicate the emotional content. The intellectual aspect I try and express through layering of the writing. I have toyed with the idea of creating my own cultural customs for a specific imperial China dynasty. Alas...many ideas, not enough time and sometimes motivation to write.

I'm not a 'linear' writer...I write scenes as it comes to my mind, whenever it may happen in the timeline. It's more fun and effective for me that way. I have to be in the right emotional state to write, so that a certain scene is satisfactorily 'charged' with said emotion. Then of course I spend ages re-organizing and editing. I visualise and even imagine the verbalisation of character confrontations to write...which is interesting because I've heard some authors do that to.

Quote Originally Posted by ylee_coyote
    I'd just like a consensus as to how important historical accuracy in a fanfic? Should the author put a lot of time into research or just forego that and concentrate on the entertainment factor?
    Current recorded history more often than not is inaccurate...archeological debates are a blast! Important thing is to create a convincing setting...how many readers do you think will be PhDs in Archeology or go out of their way to check the possible historical inaccuracies?

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis
    I am invisible! Anyway, nice to know that some people are reading.
    Aww...no you're not. I even remember your name! If not here in spcnet then at fanfiction.com?

Quote Originally Posted by Suet_Sueng
    Yeah, people are reading but they need to become brave and comment more for us to write faster. Or else we'll just sit around and make them wait for the next chapter to be written and posted.
    I'm a really strange author who doesn't really mind whether or not I get a comment. I'm perfectly happy and content that I have posted something at all to share. It's expecting nothing that gets you something I think...as evidenced by people who still 'favourite' my one and only fanfic at fanfiction.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar_Swiftfire
    fanfiction.net sucks.
    As in the whole site? Or the fanfics? Because I think it very good...I found some fanfics that have impressed me more than some published authors! And I am a very picky reader.

Quote Originally Posted by yearning
    I have a general question for people, why do you stop writing your fanfics? Boredom? Lack of time? It's so time-consuming, but I can't stop once I start...and now I did nothing all weekend but write two chapters. And do you think it says something about your personality if you only like writing one type of fanfic? I used to make humor into mine, but now, they're always sad...sad...sad...And I feel sad that I can't write different genres.
    I applaud your persistence in finishing your fanfics. I have close to zero such discipline. More so that I can only write the best I can at any given moment, if I don't feel that a certain scene does not match the power, subtlety, emotion, etc that I have in mind, I simply wait until it comes to me until I do. Then there are times when these moments come when you are not in front of a keyboard or have pen/paper handy. I was once driving at night in the rain on a poorly lit highway with bully trucks intimidating my little volkie and a whole series length fanfic came to mind. Talk about inappropriate times!

You write what you want to write...all authors go through emotional and plot phases I think. Jane Austen herself certainly did.

I try not to change what I've written. Everytime I go back to read, I may feel something different about, but I figure its my perspective that has changed not the writing.

I'm at the stage of my life where I believe the imperfections are what makes the perfection stand out...just sit back and appreciate the effort I believe.
    Last edited by NuDaFu; 03-31-08 at 08:28 AM.

Okay, I'm too lazy to read thru all the pages for the info. So here it goes.

Does my fanfic have to be related to wuxia?
    Can it have NC-17 scenes?
    And is it okay if it's a yaoi relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    Okay, I'm too lazy to read thru all the pages for the info. So here it goes.

Does my fanfic have to be related to wuxia?
    Can it have NC-17 scenes?
    And is it okay if it's a yaoi relationship?
    no no and no !!!
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    no no and no !!!
    so, it doesn't have to be related to wuxia... BUT it can't have NC-17 scenes, and once again you're hating on gay people?

so, it doesn't have to be related to wuxia... BUT it can't have NC-17 scenes,
    I wrote a sexually suggestive scene into my GUNDAM fanfic (two heterosexual characters having sex), but it wasn't explicit. Suet Seung seems to be OK with the concept of writing about characters' sexual activities as long as graphic descriptions of genitalia are left out of it.

Besides, it's much more sensual when you don't get too explicit; leave something to the imagination. That's how sexy works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I wrote a sexually suggestive scene into my GUNDAM fanfic (two heterosexual characters having sex), but it wasn't explicit. Suet Seung seems to be OK with the concept of writing about characters' sexual activities as long as graphic descriptions of genitalia are left out of it.

Besides, it's much more sensual when you don't get too explicit; leave something to the imagination. That's how sexy works.
    So, it's okay that 9 out of 10 couples in my story are yaoi?
    and i guess i can edit out some works during the sex scenes.
    i'll let lunar, who literally puked when he read the original, read it first before posting it to see if it's too explicit.
    lunar, i'll send you the first 10 chapters.

So, it's okay that 9 out of 10 couples in my story are yaoi?
    and i guess i can edit out some works during the sex scenes.
    i'll let lunar, who literally puked when he read the original, read it first before posting it to see if it's too explicit.
    lunar, i'll send you the first 10 chapters.
    This is how I handled it. Don't go too much further than this level, and you'll be OK.

It probably doesn't matter whether the characters are gay or not (though you might want to put a disclaimer in your subject title and also in the first post of the story thread). The homophobes can steer clear of it that way.

how bloody can a scene be? I was thinking about writing a castration scene!

I mean, how detailed am I allowed to get? Woud it distress readers to view it?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

can someone tell me where can i find all of raymond lam and tavia yeung stories please??

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    how bloody can a scene be? I was thinking about writing a castration scene!

I mean, how detailed am I allowed to get? Woud it distress readers to view it?
    Ah! Sorry, Charbydis. If you still want a reply to this question, I'd say put a disclaimer or warning before that chapter as they do with tv shows and movies. Readers can skip that part or keep reading it.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Since this is "Fan-Fiction Q&A".. I wan't to ask....
    I know about the creativity part of the creating own story. however, what about a writer that wrote FF based on the same universe of CD or ST, but with his own MC. (No relation to Current MC on each of the series).?

Will that be okay to post such story in fan-fiction?