Thread: Kunlun Sect - originators of more martial arts than we realize?

Default Kunlun Sect - originators of more martial arts than we realize?

In the continuity of Jin Yong's universe, the Kunlun Sect did not show up as a martial arts organization of any great significance until a few years after the end of RETURN OF THE CONDOR HEROES, and was not an important force in wulin until HEAVEN SWORD & DRAGON SABRE a hundred years later. It has been said, however, that the Kunlun Sect was actually quite old...probably predating the era of DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS (making it much older, therefore, than the Mo Dong Sect or Ngor Mei Sect and possibly nearly as venerable as Shaolin, the Beggar's Union, and the Ming Cult).

During HSDS, Kunlun Sect was known mainly for its swordplay. But could they have been behind more martial arts than we know? Outside of the Jin Yong universe, there are two martial arts made famous by Jin Yong that he did not attribute to Kunlun Sect, but others did.

The Marvel Comics superhero Iron Fist used a martial art that, based on its description, was identical to the Iron Palm used by Kau Cheen Yan in LEGEND/RETURN OF THE CONDOR HEROES. Even the method of training (pounding one's palms/fists into hot sand) is the same. The caveat: according to the Marvel Comics story, Danny Rand learned the Iron Fist Technique at Kunlun.

In the Stephen Chow martial arts comedy KUNG FU HUSTLE, West Poison Au Yeung Fung's famous Ha Mo Gung was also attributed to Kunlun Sect. This is at least possible, considering that White Camel Mountain is supposedly not all that far away from the Kunlun Mountains (maybe even part of the Kunlun mountain range?).

Did alot of martial arts originate with the Kunlun Sect?

I've wondered that myself....but with my limited sources ( TV serials only!) i really have noe clue! And isn't kunlun always associated with that other sect......i forget which one though....
    Full Metal Alchemist - HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI

Actually, Jiu Mou Zhi mentioned in DGSD that the Kunlun Sect had a Chaos Sword Formation which was quite powerful comparable to Shaolin's Arhat Formation and the 5 Dali monks performing 6MSJ.

yes, there were a couple of books on sects and teachings - kunlun was mentioned briefly and believed to develop some foundations/formations by ex members of shaolin and ex followers of other reputed schools. generation later, former kunlun members starting and spreading their own schools and teachings. and from these varieties, generally gave birth to many martial forms to this day.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

kunlun is situtiated between the west and the east, india and china,etc. so it's martial arts was devolped as a cross between the two, but even more differently then shaolin which had a larger chinese influence. it has a martial arts history as old as shaolin or even older. in DGSD, the dali minister who dug the tunnel to free duan yu found a manual of external martial arts from kunlun in a grave he dug up.
    see wuxiapedia.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

The manual which SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan found might have been from Kunlun too.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Also, 4th Brother Zhu from DGSD is a student of Kunlun.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    The manual which SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan found might have been from Kunlun too.
    That makes sense. For one several generations later to proclaim himself as a SAINT, doesn't it seem likely that he would have been influenced by a certain individual who had declared himself as a GOD? A SAINT is arguably less divine than a GOD, so this would also imply that Kunlun 3 Saints did not think his divine swordplay has reached the level of his divine precessor, the SWORD GOD.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Kunlun is where the 12 immortals whom are the direct student of YuanShi TianZun, the Supreme God of Taoism.
    So they must surely has a lot of cool and awesome Martial Arts.
    At least that's what I figured.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...88&ref=tn_tnmn
    This year, August 25th~26th
    1st Singapore Ancient Chinese Culture Camp, pls join if you are in Singapore. ^^