Thread: Divine Dragon Cult: an anachronism in the world of DOMD.

Default Divine Dragon Cult: an anachronism in the world of DOMD.

In any other wuxia novel set in the pre-Qing Dynasty era, the Divine Dragon Cult (DOMD) would have fit right in and been a dime-a-dozen martial arts/religious sect. The worlds of DGSD, the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY, and SPW are replete with wulin organizations such as the Divine Dragon Cult. In those eras, the DDC would not have even stood out. It would have just been one more in a wulin that hosted dozens if not hundreds of such cults.

In the world of DOMD, however, the Divine Dragon Cult comes across as an anachronism. It seemed to hark back to the wulin of earlier eras and did not fit into a world of anti-Qing rebel societies and soldiers who carried firearms. It was a relic of a time in wulin that had passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    In any other wuxia novel set in the pre-Qing Dynasty era, the Divine Dragon Cult (DOMD) would have fit right in and been a dime-a-dozen martial arts/religious sect. The worlds of DGSD, the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY, and SPW are replete with wulin organizations such as the Divine Dragon Cult. In those eras, the DDC would not have even stood out. It would have just been one more in a wulin that hosted dozens if not hundreds of such cults.

In the world of DOMD, however, the Divine Dragon Cult comes across as an anachronism. It seemed to hark back to the wulin of earlier eras and did not fit into a world of anti-Qing rebel societies and soldiers who carried firearms. It was a relic of a time in wulin that had passed.
    The rise of weird cults causing huge problems have been a feature in pretty much all societies in any era. In the Qing dynasty alone, there was the White Lotus society and the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom leading to the deaths of millions - was the Divine Dragon cult so different? Presumably, in a wuxia world, these real-life cults would be filled with martial arts masters too.

To the CPC, Islam is a Cult that needs to be controlled or extinguished (Yes, I just went political).

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    To the CPC, Islam is a Cult that needs to be controlled or extinguished (Yes, I just went political).
    I think you mean the CCP? Could you fix that please, lest people misunderstand?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I think you mean the CCP? Could you fix that please, lest people misunderstand?
    Chinese Communist Party, Communist Party of China. Same thing.

Chinese Communist Party, Communist Party of China. Same thing.
    We live in a world of nosey lawyers and other sketchy characters. Can't be too careful these days.

Yes, and ditto the Falun Gong. I remember watching the first, I think, PRC-made adaptation of SPW and the whole portrayal of the Sun Moon Divine Cult constantly reminded me of the Falun Gong, which were the "Demonic Sect" of the time.

The Divine Dragon Cult, some have thought, attempts to satirize aspects of the CPC/CCP - and must have been perceived as such as DOMD has, if I recall rightly, been a banned text in the past.