Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK...I've finally found a wuxia character even more annoying than LDG and LCY

Default OK...I've finally found a wuxia character even more annoying than LDG and LCY

Ah Ohr from DOMD.

I remember from my original viewing of DOMD '84 that she was a bit b*tchy, but damn...what the hell his wrong with this lady? Little Dragon Girl at least loved Yeung Gor and was usually halfway decent to most other people. Lam Chiu Ying at least loved Wong Chung Yeung and treated her student/follower well. Ah Ohr seems to just hate *everybody* (including herself), and can't stop yelling about it.

At least Little Dragon Girl and Lam Chiu Ying didn't yell and scream about hating people every time they showed their faces.

Seriously, what's wrong with this lady?!

Really? She was my second favorite heroine aside from Su Quan.

Perhaps she felt that she was so beautiful that men will overlook her personality flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by holyshin View Post
    Really? She was my second favorite heroine aside from Su Quan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Perhaps she felt that she was so beautiful that men will overlook her personality flaws.
    She's starting to get on my nerves. Every time she shows up, it's rant, kill, rant, kill, rant, kill...

It's like she doesn't know anything other than ranting and killing. Even Mit Jeut See Tai, Lee Mok Sau, and Kau Cheen Chek had different moods. Ah Ohr is just a ranting/killing machine.

I don't know. In DOMD98, she only hates Wai Siu Bo. I didn't see her hating everyone.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Kiki Sheung's Ah Ke doesn't really generate sympathy, unfortunately. In the 08 version, I felt really sorry for her. It's not like she hated the whole world, but it was more like the whole world had some grudge against her, and no one really cared about how she felt at all. She was a pawn to everyone involved other than WXB, who really fancied her but yet was annoying, despicable, and eventually raped her. She ended up with him purely because she had nowhere else to go. Kiki Sheung failed to portray the helplessness and unfairness of the entire situation well enough, mainly through not being particularly likeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Kiki Sheung's Ah Ke doesn't really generate sympathy, unfortunately. In the 08 version, I felt really sorry for her. It's not like she hated the whole world, but it was more like the whole world had some grudge against her, and no one really cared about how she felt at all. She was a pawn to everyone involved other than WXB, who really fancied her but yet was annoying, despicable, and eventually raped her. She ended up with him purely because she had nowhere else to go. Kiki Sheung failed to portray the helplessness and unfairness of the entire situation well enough, mainly through not being particularly likeable.
    I generally like Kiki Sheung's work as an actress, but her Ah Ohr is just utterly annoying. Her depiction of the character is like a perpetual, severe PMS episode.

I hate her as well. She is shallow and rash! I hated her in the novel and in the series. I felt sorry for her being treated like a revenge tool by her master but it was no excuse for being haughty and snobbish. I think had she been simple-looking or ugly, she would have been killed long before she met WXB. DOMD doesn't have the best female characters. Out fo all, I only ended up liking WXB's mum and So Chuen and of course Sheung Yee. I think a better representation of Ah Ohr would be Noel Leung's version where she was more gentle and sympathetic.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I generally like Kiki Sheung's work as an actress, but her Ah Ohr is just utterly annoying. Her depiction of the character is like a perpetual, severe PMS episode.
    I started to like Kiki's acting once she moved from young girl roles to middle-aged auntie roles. She could never quite nail the young girl role for me, even in her first kelefe role as Liu Jing in XAJH 85 - she was annoying even in that short cameo appearance, while Lawrence Ng as her brother impressed. These days her roles suit her looks much better, and she's really likeable.

I started to like Kiki's acting once she moved from young girl roles to middle-aged auntie roles. She could never quite nail the young girl role for me, even in her first kelefe role as Liu Jing in XAJH 85 - she was annoying even in that short cameo appearance, while Lawrence Ng as her brother impressed. These days her roles suit her looks much better, and she's really likeable.
    Was she supposed to have been a looker in those days? I've seen a few wuxia and modern series with her in it, and there were quite a few where she played people that were supposed to be attractive, but I never once thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Was she supposed to have been a looker in those days? I've seen a few wuxia and modern series with her in it, and there were quite a few where she played people that were supposed to be attractive, but I never once thought so.
    I think the people who casted her felt she had some kind of beauty which more base specimens of man like myself completely missed. Even in her youth she looked like a .. young auntie to me. Maybe they thought it would be better on screen like W.S. Gilbert wrote "she could very well pass for forty-three in the dusk with the light behind her". Like you, I never even once thought that she was attractive in any role she played. To have her casted as Ah Ke of all people kind of defied belief for me, but then DOMD 86 definitely didn't have strong females. When Su Quan tried to hypnotise WXB with her beauty I almost vomited while our beloved Sandra Ng played a thankfully small cameo as Zeng Rou. Teresa Mou and Chau Sau Lan were the only really likeable ones, although Mitra King was hilarious. I never did like Carina Lau in the 80s although she has become muhc much more attractive as she got older. Who else could TVB have casted as Ah Ke, I wonder? Kitty Lai or Sheren Teng?

I think the people who casted her felt she had some kind of beauty which more base specimens of man like myself completely missed. Even in her youth she looked like a .. young auntie to me. Maybe they thought it would be better on screen like W.S. Gilbert wrote "she could very well pass for forty-three in the dusk with the light behind her". Like you, I never even once thought that she was attractive in any role she played. To have her casted as Ah Ke of all people kind of defied belief for me, but then DOMD 86 definitely didn't have strong females. When Su Quan tried to hypnotise WXB with her beauty I almost vomited while our beloved Sandra Ng played a thankfully small cameo as Zeng Rou. Teresa Mou and Chau Sau Lan were the only really likeable ones, although Mitra King was hilarious. I never did like Carina Lau in the 80s although she has become muhc much more attractive as she got older. Who else could TVB have casted as Ah Ke, I wonder? Kitty Lai or Sheren Teng?
    Neither Kitty Lai nor Sheren Teng were working for TVB yet when DOMD '84 was produced. At best, Lai and Teng were in the actors' academy at the time.

I don't know if TVB actually had as many as seven drop-dead gorgeous actresses on its payroll at the time. There was Idy Chan, but she didn't seem to fit any of the DOMD roles (then again, she would have been a more convincing Ah Ohr than Kiki Sheung, considering that Chan had recently portrayed Wong Yu Yin and Little Dragon Girl), and in any case, she was just one. Angie Chiu wasn't with TVB at the time. Barbara Yung might have been able to work one of the roles. Dodo Cheng didn't seem to fit any of the roles either. Au Yeung Pui San was arguably a bit too old for any of the roles, as was Cecilia Wong (was she still with TVB by '84?). Maggie Cheung possibly could have fit one of the roles.

Among the wives of Wai Siu Bo in DOMD '84, most of them were (at the time) unknown/untested new actresses.

Re: Kiki Sheung - even when she was young, she looked/sounder older than her years. I think she was about twenty-two when she played Ah Ohr in DOMD '84, but she could have passed for thirty-two. That's not to say that Kiki Sheung is/was an unattractive woman, but she wasn't attractive in that girly sort of way. She always looked like somebody's reasonably attractive, but not gorgeous auntie.

I started to like Kiki's acting once she moved from young girl roles to middle-aged auntie roles. She could never quite nail the young girl role for me, even in her first kelefe role as Liu Jing in XAJH 85 -
    Kiki also had a "kelefe" role in LOCH '82 as one of Ying Goo's maids. I think this was her first-ever professional acting job, at least with TVB.

She did appear rather striking for a "mere" maid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Kiki also had a "kelefe" role in LOCH '82 as one of Ying Goo's maids. I think this was her first-ever professional acting job, at least with TVB.
    Kiki Sheung said her first major role was in 'Once Upon an Ordinary Girl' acting opposite Leslie Cheung.

Who else could TVB have casted as Ah Ke, I wonder? Kitty Lai or Sheren Teng?
    I don't know exact years for when actresses were out and what not, but of the people I know around that time period, I'd probably go with Yammie Lam. I find her as attractive as it gets for women from the 80's (especially in wuxia!) and she easily has that mean (Xitchy) look down that Ah Ke carries throughout the story.

I wish they'd throw Jamie Chic in there as well, another one of the few women in wuxia I found attractive from that rough 80's time period.

I loved Mitra King and thought she was so cute in this version! I was quite disgruntled that she was not cast as Ah Ke. I thought the character of Ah Ke was just...young and really stubborn in that annoying that dumb and arrogant young people are. As an adult looking back on this character...well, she's not especially annoying to me because I know alot of young people who are worse. Poor me.

I have never really thought of any of the Ah Ke actresses as exceptional beauties. Wasn't Yammie around in that same time? She would have been better appearance wise.
    I like me.

Ah Ke

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://1871.img.pp.sohu.com.cn/images/blog/2008/7/30/10/0/11c17c5dc0ag214.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Ah Ke

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://1871.img.pp.sohu.com.cn/images/blog/2008/7/30/10/0/11c17c5dc0ag214.jpg')
    I almost died laughing when I read Kiki's subtitles... how appropriate in the context of being compared so mercilessly!! =)

Aside from having a bad childhood and circumstances, I always felt that Ah Ke had an attitude problem. She also beat WXB up every opportunity she had.

Spoiler comment: I never understood why Ah Ke wanted to kill WXB so badly for ripping open her sleeve (even to the point of committing suicide) at the monastery scene. I just thought ancient people were supermodest, but then I found out the clothing rip happened more like around her breasts or something in the book.

TVB beauties in the '80s? Now I don't remember if they joined pre 1984:
    Jamie Chik
    Maggie Cheung
    Margie Tsang
    Idy Chan
    Dodo Cheung
    Jacqueline Law
    Yammie Lam

The character of Ah Ke needs to be about half as beautiful as her mom who brought down kingdoms and nations, stuck-up, self pitying, dash of cruelty, and grew up on the "streets" of wulin.

What about Amy Chan and Mimi Kung (she was in Chor Lau Heung 1984)? These two actresses were quite young back then.

Kiki Sheung was paired up with Liu Kai Chi in the 80s version of Legend of the Book and Sword. In this series, she played one of those young and feisty tomboy girls. I liked her in this role.

I have to agree she didn't have that feminine/girly look.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.