Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wong Chongyang or Dugu Qiubai

Default Wong Chongyang or Dugu Qiubai

Who was the most influential?

Wong Chung Yeung. He created a Taoist sect that endured for centuries (as a school of Taoist thought if not as a martial arts organization). Dook Goo Kau Bai, as far as we know, benefitted only three individuals: Yeung Gor, Fung Ching Yeung, and Ling Wu Chung.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Wong Chung Yeung. He created a Taoist sect that endured for centuries (as a school of Taoist thought if not as a martial arts organization). Dook Goo Kau Bai, as far as we know, benefitted only three individuals: Yeung Gor, Fung Ching Yeung, and Ling Wu Chung.
    ok..... but who's stronger??

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted
    ok..... but who's stronger??
    That's a whole different discussion, which I'm sure we've done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    Who was the most influential?
    Wang of course. Hardly anyone knew DGQB.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Seriously, there is absolutely nothing that says that Dugu Qiubai was all that powerful. Sure, his sword theories and arts was good, but that in no way means that he himself was all that Great. The creator of Qian kun da noi yi never reached 7th level.

Seriously, there is absolutely nothing that says that Dugu Qiubai was all that powerful. Sure, his sword theories and arts was good, but that in no way means that he himself was all that Great. The creator of Qian kun da noi yi never reached 7th level.
    There are hints that suggest he is at least at great level. It was mentioned that Yg's skill were similar to dugu's in the past(in terms of using the HIS)at least two times in ROCH. Yg could match a great for sometime even before the 16 years, due to the ingenuity of the HIS technique. Im pretty sure that Dugu was at least* as strong as Yg in terms of inner power plus im sure its safe to assume that hes techniques were at least on par with Yg was well. Also keep in mind that the condor is only an animal it couldnt make up training methods, to be able to beat back torrent and ocean waves takes a huge amount of inner power.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

I can easily believe that Dook Goo Kau Bai was on par with the ROCH Greats, or perhaps even slightly better. I need more direct evidence, however, to persuade me that he was significantly better than they were.

Quote Originally Posted by duguxiaojing
    Yg could match a great for sometime even before the 16 years, due to the ingenuity of the HIS technique.
    But only in terms of technique, however. Yeung Gor improved greatly in both inner power and technique during the 16-year interneggum, but still emerged on par with, not confirmably better than the senior Greats.

Dennis Chen: I noticed that lately, nearly every post you make has to do with Wang Chongyang's greatness. Please control your worshipping of Wang Chongyang before it gets out of hand

To everyone: in my opinion, common sense would suggest that Dugu Qiubai is better than the Greats. Probably only a proof-perfectionist-freak would sell on the notion of otherwise.
    Last edited by PJ; 01-26-06 at 05:53 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Dennis Chen: I noticed that lately, nearly every post you make has to do with Wang Chongyang's greatness. Please control your worshipping of Wang Chongyang before it gets out of hand
    4 out of 4 Greats agree that he's the Greatest!

But only in terms of technique, however. Yeung Gor improved greatly in both inner power and technique during the 16-year interneggum, but still emerged on par with, not confirmably better than the senior Greats.
    Ya that why is said Dugu is proboally at leat as good as a great. Its proboally up to reader to decide if he really is better though....personally i think he really did reach the no sword level, but thats just MO
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    To everyone: in my opinion, common sense would suggest that Dugu Qiubai is better than the Greats. Probably only a proof-perfectionist-freak would sell on the notion of otherwise.
    Well, I'm a proof-perfectionist-freak then, because without more substantial proof, I refuse to believe that Dook Goo Kau Bai was much better than the Greats.

I am willing believe that he was slightly better, however...kind of a better among equals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Well, I'm a proof-perfectionist-freak then, because without more substantial proof, I refuse to believe that Dook Goo Kau Bai was much better than the Greats.

I am willing believe that he was slightly better, however...kind of a better among equals.
    nah Ken, you're ok. How much better is Dugu Qiubai compared to the Greats is highly debatable.

Indeed. While we cannot say exactly how strong DGQB was, he still cannot be weak either.

The Greats were equally matched people. Beneath them though, even those who were close would be crushed (e.g., QQR. He could do nothing but just use his superior speed to escape ZBT. He did improve a lot by the time of ROCH though).

If only one of them existed, they could just as easily make the same claims DGQB did.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    Indeed. While we cannot say exactly how strong DGQB was, he still cannot be weak either.

The Greats were equally matched people. Beneath them though, even those who were close would be crushed (e.g., QQR. He could do nothing but just use his superior speed to escape ZBT. He did improve a lot by the time of ROCH though).

If only one of them existed, they could just as easily make the same claims DGQB did.
    I think you're ignoring the fact that Wang Chongyang after the 1st Mount Hua Tournament was the indisputable #1 martial artist in all of Jiang Hu. He could and did make the claims that Dugu Qiubai made because while he was alive, nobody could beat him.
    Last edited by Dennis Chen; 01-26-06 at 10:23 PM.

well actually i've seen an old school movie or tv series made by tvb starring Felix Wong as Dugu Chai Bai.... its called something like dugu ka ba and kim something... you can find the movie on ebay by typing in cambodian/vietnamese dvd and you'll find a list of movies.. look for the one with felix wong and Hugo(guy from Song Hai kiep, hu wu qui)... well in the series dugu chai bai had a couple of masters and was from some sect... his parents were from the demon/evil sun/moon sect and was the leader of it... dugu chai bai had another name but i forgot it but then later he changed it to duguchabai after finding out who his parents were. well in there it says that his swordplay was to be the best there is in history..... and in the end of that movie dugu chai bai actually fought wong chong yang and instead of fighting dugu chai bai said he lost... that s why on state of divinity the final technique was something called to lose without a stance... and on the new legend of condor hero starring li ya peng, ja boa tong the old man that taugh siu long nu the two hand technique thingy said that wong chong yang fought dugu and lost... hence thats why ja boa tong named that one turtle dugu chai bai because he forfit the match b/c he was too powerful and didn't care about fighting anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    I think you're ignoring the fact that Wang Chongyang after the 1st Mount Hua Tournament was the indisputable #1 martial artist in all of Jiang Hu. He could and did make the claims that Dugu Qiubai made because while he was alive, nobody could beat him.
    Wait what? I didn't say anything about WCY vs DGQB.

I just said that the Greats, after WCY's passing, if they were singular, would be able to make the same claim WCY could've and DGQB did.

the general martial arts population must have sank humongously between DGSD and LOCH, maybe to an all time low. Experts like Huang Shang, WCY, and Dugu Qiubai found no equals at their peak, and yet they all may have been matched or even surpassed by ROCH Greats (we don't know for sure, but it's possible). People like LOCH Greats are truly a rare breed that could be on par with the 3 divine masters before their time, and it's incredible to think that 7 or 9 such Greats lived in the same era. I always think that DGSD may have had the best expert, but ROCH produced more outstanding people right underneath the highest level.

WCY

Disciples: Quanzhen 7 Heroes

DGQB

Disciples: Giant Condor, Yang Guo, Feng Qingyang, Linghu Chong (all indirectly except condor)

a lot of difference...