Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revisions: Are they good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    Interesting, I never knew the stories were once in newspapers. What I meant by original is the first edition. But I really need to get a copy of them so i can make a better judgement on this. Too bad I can't read chinese
    The first editions are the compilation of the stories in the newpapers.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    The first editions are the compilation of the stories in the newpapers.
    Really? So were there big changes from first edition to the 2nd?

Yang Guo's mom is not Mu Nian Chi but a snake charmer.

Yang Guo's mom is not Mu Nian Chi but a snake charmer.
    keep it coming

keep it coming
    Sorry. Can't do that. I haven't read any additions. I only know what has been mentioned in this forums.

Can other Jin Yong fans help?

Interesting, I never knew the stories were once in newspapers.
    That's how Jin Yong's wuxia stories were first read in the 1950s and 1960s. His MING PAO newspaper was not doing very well at the time. To encourage the growth of readership, he began including small segments of his wuxia stories every day. His ploy worked: his audience was hooked and MING PAO began selling like hotcakes. Today, MING PAO is a media empire in Hong Kong, and its early growth is attributable to Jin Yong's wuxia stories.

Sorry. Can't do that. I haven't read any additions. I only know what has been mentioned in this forums.

Can other Jin Yong fans help?
    http://www.wuxiapedia.com/novels/jin_yong

Under each novel, look for articles named "Second/Third Edition changes".
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    That's how Jin Yong's wuxia stories were first read in the 1950s and 1960s. His MING PAO newspaper was not doing very well at the time. To encourage the growth of readership, he began including small segments of his wuxia stories every day. His ploy worked: his audience was hooked and MING PAO began selling like hotcakes. Today, MING PAO is a media empire in Hong Kong, and its early growth is attributable to Jin Yong's wuxia stories.
    Were those stories written long before he plan to include them in the newspaper or did he write them pretty much for the newspaper?

Were those stories written long before he plan to include them in the newspaper or did he write them pretty much for the newspaper?
    Not sure. I think he had the basic ideas already, but didn't put them into print until he decided that his newspaper needed a boost.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

The changes for some novels were huge. I haven't have the chance to read the very first editions and it is very difficult now to even find a copy of the first editions.
    However, like I said before. Some of original stories had very fantastic things, like monkeys walking in lava streams (a pet of Xie Xun). Guo Jing and Huang Rong fighting some strange gigantic frogs or snakes (or some other gigantic animal).
    Duan Yu never had Beiming Shengong (that didn't even exist). The caterpillar and toad he swallowed formed a sort of black hole in his body which drew internal power from others.
    Tons of redundant characters in the Smiling Proud Wanderer who make only one appearance and add nothing to the story except confusion.
    These are just a few examples I heard from some members who read the first editions.
    Last edited by Athena; 09-07-05 at 05:47 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    The changes for some novels were huge. I haven't have the chance to read the very first editions and it is very difficult now to even find a copy of the first editions.
    However, like I said before. Some of original stories had very fantastic things, like monkeys walking in lava streams (a pet of Xie Xun). Guo Jing and Huang Rong fighting some strange gigantic frogs or snakes (or some other gigantic animal).
    Duan Yu never had Beiming Shengong (that didn't even exist). The caterpillar and toad he swallowed formed a sort of black hole in his body which drew internal power from others.
    Tons of redundant characters in the Smiling Proud Wanderer who make only one appearance and add nothing to the story except confusion.
    These are just a few examples I heard from some members who read the first editions.
    Sounds like the first edition was a coal with a hidden diamond. 2nd edition was the daimond. Hopefully, 3rd is a very fine polish daimond.

Miss Athena You seem very objective. Which edition do you like more? 2nd or 3rd? And regarding 3rd, are there any changes u dislike?
    Last edited by Yeung Gor; 09-07-05 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Athena
    Wow, must have been that Gu Long influence!

Guo Jing and Huang Rong fighting some strange gigantic frogs or snakes...

I would love to see this in a tv adaption with all the corny lines and sfx.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Sounds like the first edition was a coal with a hidden diamond. 2nd edition was the daimond. Hopefully, 3rd is a very fine polish daimond.

Miss Athena You seem very objective. Which edition do you like more? 2nd or 3rd? And regarding 3rd, are there any changes u dislike?

Objective...objective. I try to be, but I think some members on this forum might disagree with that statement.
    Most of the revisions worked out wonderfully. But there are some minor things, I disagree with. For instance:
    The Jiuyang Zhenjing author who had a drinking contest with Wang Chongyang. Although, it was subtly implied that the monk never studied Jiuyang himself and was just an excellent theorist.
    Another thing is does Xie Xun know what Zhou Zhiruo did now? In the newest edition, we are not clear on this. He doesn't tell Zhang Wuji to look for the carvings in his underground dungeon anymore, because he didn't carve anything anymore. But he does scold Zhou Zhiruo [Little b-itch!] when Zhang Wuji tells Zhou Zhiruo to escape with Xie Xun first.
    Why does Xie Xun curse Zhou Zhiruo? At that moment Zhou Zhiruo had not revealed any ill intentions towards Xie Xun. So, the question why does he curse her? And does he know?
    But these are very small things in my opinion.

But there are plenty of good things:
    -The error of Guo Jing and Huang Rong's age has been cleared up.
    -In the past, everyone wondered why Xiao Feng/Qiao Feng was never remembered. He is now!
    -The novel The Young Flying Fox is perfect now, now little errors. Yuan Ziyi is not that annoying anymore.
    - etc. etc. etc. (For the rest I refer back to the 3rd edition thread).

Rest assured that I will post the changes of Demi Gods and Semi Devils when I have the copy of the newest edition. It will be out in second, third week of this September.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

I think Yideng really get's the shaft. Wong Chongyang is given even more respect in the 3rd editions. Hong Qigong has always been the most 'heroic', the defender of the weak. Ouyang Feng, as evil as he is, you have to respect for his tenacity and genius; at the end of his life, you almost feel sympathetic to him for having lost everything. Jin Yong has made Huang Yaoshi even more sympathetic of a character, almost noble. However, there's still very little to redeem Yideng and the crime that he committed. Sure, he became a monk for it, but since DGSD, it's been shown that becoming a monk is something that the Duan Emperors usually do anyways.