Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chut Toi Sheung Kiu (Tony Leung, Kitty Lai)

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Kent had some good roles with ATV. Yeh I remember in the Tigers, he was the only villain while the other four were good guys. It was very different and exciting to see felix in grand canal play a villain since im so used to seeing him play kwok jing and the monk where he wasn't smart and got his martial arts by luck.

feel like we are going off topic from this thread hehhee.... Growing up, this was one of my favorite series. I thought tony was very funny. I used to get so scared when wong wan choi falls into the pit with all the rats. I felt bad for his character because he really love that lady who loves Michael. The part where the princess sends that guy to kill kitty was scary too. I just remember a lot of frogs surround that dude. It's been very long time since I've seen this series. Was this eddie Kwan's first series?
    Actually, though Felix is best known for his hero roles, he actually fares well in darkish but not evil characters like in "Secret of the Heart", "The Silver Tycoon", "Gun Metal Grey", etc.. He handles the transitions from good to evil very naturally. In fully evil characters, he can act slightly awkward like in "Genghis Khan" but he does much better in "The Grand Canal". I actually miss seeing Felix on screen. Looking forward to seeing his new series on HKTV.

Anyhow, back to the topic and my villain-liking tendencies, I actually liked Wong Wan Choi's Ngai Mo Nga even though he was a crazy stalker. The novel did not say much about the Rat except that he was super crazy and obsessive nutcase and very ugly as well. TVB did a good job in expanding his character and give The Rat more depth.

We saw him as an arrogant and powerful man who reached his downfall due to his one-sided love for Princess Yiu Yuet, which also reflected of the theme of obsessive love as Princess Yiu Yuet and Cheung Ching also did.

He started off as a man of fame, wealth and power but was willing to be hen-pecked and stooped to become a servant to the woman he loved. He was initially more powerful in both brains and martial arts than this woman, but he lost because of his desire to be loved in return. But she took his heart, scrunched it and then threw it back in his face. He became bitter and vengeful and again, proved to be better than Princess Yiu Yuet in brains and martial arts. But he fell for Little Fish's trick because of his desire for Princess Yiu Yuet, he died, and ironically, he died laughing his head off because he finally managed to hug her.

The Rat is such a complicated character. You will hate him because of his ruthlessness, his disregard for human life. And gosh, he was a crazy stalker who would take no for an answer. But you will also feel sorry for him because he really loved and cared for Princess Yiu Yuet, and only went crazy as she mutilated him and rejected him. And different to the novel where he adopted her as she bore a resemblance to Princess Yiu Yuet, TVB's version showed his genuine care and protection for So Ying as well. And we also saw So Ying's loyalty and love for her adopted father whereas int he novel, she wasn't really too fussed about him dying.

Though this version was not a loyal adaptation to the novel, I felt that it brought out the essence of the characters and the themes.

That frog guy was scary. Gave me nightmares when I first watched it. He was a made-up character as well so kudos to TVB for making him so creepy. And it was not Eddie's first series. He was in LOCH 83 and "Police Cadet" way before this came out. Though I though Eddie's performance was great, I hated TVB for stereotyping him in cheap, weak villain roles.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I thought Felix was pretty good in Gun Metal Grey. He started off good and slowly transition to being bad. But I like him best in Grand Canal.

I didn't know Eddie Kwan was in LOCH 83, who did he play? Actually this series was one of the roles where he was awful but in the past I've seen him in good roles like Eastern Hero, I think that what it was call with Chow hoi mei. I like the one where he was in with hackan lee and gigi lai. I forgot what that series is call but he was a mask hero. But after that I'm not sure if he left tvb.

I thought Wong wan choi did a good job with the rat character. In the beginning he was very handsome, I didn't understand why Michael called him a slave of the princess yiu yuet until later when you see him spying on princess yiu yuet. Then you realize he always loved her but she said only someone like Michael's deserves her. I never knew he thought so ying resembles princess yiu yuet. Sometimes I felt bad for princess yiu yuet too because she is very heart broken. She also cuts herself right.
    Last edited by Nan Ling; 04-13-15 at 03:40 AM.

I didn't know tvb made up the frog guy character. But yes, very creepy, I was very scared for Hugo when he had to fight with him.

Chan mei kei sounds very familiar but I cannot put a face to the name.
    Chan Mei Kei is the actress who played Princess Yao Yue.

The frog was scary for me too - I hated how he killed Hugo's two maids so easily because I really fancied them, and they were no pushovers. They also suffered from kelefe tag-team syndrome, where when one dies, the other one usually dies in the same scene. In this case the second one lasted until nightfall, at least...

ahh that's why Chan Mei Kei sounds familiar. She played the role well.

I never heard of kelefe tag-team syndrome lolz. Yeh I thought they were cool. But Lau sau ping barely have any lines. The one in red did all of the talking and was kind of mean to little fish. I used to like Lau sau ping back then. She was cute in legendary ranger and jade fox.

I thought Felix was pretty good in Gun Metal Grey. He started off good and slowly transition to being bad. But I like him best in Grand Canal.
    My fav role of Felix is Kiu Fung in DSGD. Kiu Feng was righteous hero with a darker side. His dark role in "the Silver Tycoon" was actually good when he went from good to bad. It was so heartbreaking to see him betrayed over and over again until he gave in to his dark side. I liked Lee Mut in "The Grand Canal" too. I wished he did more villain roles.

I didn't know Eddie Kwan was in LOCH 83, who did he play? Actually this series was one of the roles where he was awful but in the past I've seen him in good roles like Eastern Hero, I think that what it was call with Chow hoi mei. I like the one where he was in with hackan lee and gigi lai. I forgot what that series is call but he was a mask hero. But after that I'm not sure if he left tvb.
    Eddie Kwan played one of Genghis Khan's sons in LOCH 83, not sure if the 2nd or 3rd. He played a "sissy" cadet in "Police Cadet 1" who turned against Tony but repented in the end. If want to see Eddie in an annoying villain role, check out "Song Bird" where he plays a jerk who cheated Nadia of both body and money.

Eddie really started to shine in the 90's after he got married but then TVB stuffed him up again and made him babysit rising stars. Eddie has some money from his businesses and he acts for leisure in Mainland China and ATV. He has since returned to TVB to film every now and TVB really does not give him good roles though the audience do appreciate him. Saw him last in "Ruse of Engagement" and "Beauty At War", but he says he will continue to act for TVB at times.

I thought Wong wan choi did a good job with the rat character. In the beginning he was very handsome, I didn't understand why Michael called him a slave of the princess yiu yuet until later when you see him spying on princess yiu yuet. Then you realize he always loved her but she said only someone like Michael's deserves her. I never knew he thought so ying resembles princess yiu yuet. Sometimes I felt bad for princess yiu yuet too because she is very heart broken. She also cuts herself right.
    I am a big WWC fan so don't get started or I will never shut up.

I have read the novel which says So Ying has Princess YY's arrogant look. But no other series has included this in their plot. The novel has a lot of detail which makes this one of Gu Long's most vivid novels but the ending is so weird and disjointed at the end, I think this version by TVB is the most coherent adaptation.

I do feel sorry for Princess YY. When I see how restricted and lonely Fa Mo Kuet was when he was growing up, I can see how Princess YY must have be brought up as well, under the pressure of being absolutely perfect and above every one else. In an ironic way, Princess Lin Sing's (her sister) exile from Yee Far Palace probably saved her from her sister's fate. It gave her the freedom to find her own happiness, even though she was forced/coerced into marriage with a man she did not love. But as she said, at least she was happy for years with a man she loved and a daughter who cared for her whereas Princess YY was a loner who no one cared about. (In reality, the Kong brothers did care for Princess YY and she was aware of it as well).

Though it seemed like Princess YY was in control of everything, she was just a victim of her own upbringing and her own stubbornness. She could have let go of her obsession for Kong Fung and accepted a man (The Rat) who loved her with his life, or even stayed happily single, but she just could not get past the fact that the man of her dreams rejected her perfect self for a lowly servant. Actually, I am not sure if she even likes Kong Fung or she has just fallen in love with his handsomeness. Princess YY's tragedy stems from her lack of empathy and though no one can get close to her to care about her as she pushes them all away.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Here's the trailer!

Cyril Connolly

ahh that's why Chan Mei Kei sounds familiar. She played the role well.

I never heard of kelefe tag-team syndrome lolz. Yeh I thought they were cool. But Lau sau ping barely have any lines. The one in red did all of the talking and was kind of mean to little fish. I used to like Lau sau ping back then. She was cute in legendary ranger and jade fox.
    Yeah, Yuet Bing was the one who did most of the talking and was the fiery one. Yuet Seong was the cool, silent one - was a nice combination. They're actually much older than they looked, as I recall they were already serving Hua Wuque when he was a little boy.

Both Lau Sau Ping and the other girl whose name escapes me were actually quite pretty and wasted as small kelefe roles. Lau went on to some decent supporting roles. I think the largest role she got was in Zu Mountain and Jade Fox, both opposite Jimmy Au, but sadly both roles ended tragically. Her happiest ending came in Land of the Condors opposite Francis Ng (for the second half after Kitty Lai dies), and she ended up getting the man at the end. She really has class and a beautiful voice, although she is a bit short.

The other girl didn't get bigger roles other than the occasional background character role (although she was absolutely gorgeous in her short appearance in Saga of the Lost Kingdom). She and Lau worked together as part of a four-girl team in "Tit Huet Dai Kei Moon" (the English name of which escapes me) and she also played a maid in Taiping Heavenly Kingdom, but beyond that I don't think she ever progressed further.

Maggie Chan Mei Kei is a very talented actress, and I could swear she does anime voice-overs as that voice is just so familiar for motherly characters. My sister once bumped into her having dinner with Tai Chi-wai in our hotel coffee shop in HK, and asked for a photo and contact. My sister then started writing fan letters to her and she would reply in perfect English. What a lady!

Yes, I think Lau sau ping biggest role would be jade fox and this other movie with roger kwok and Michael tao where she commits suicide at the end ( cant remember the name). I really like her after jade fox. I never seen the other girl in any other series.

charbydis, thanks for the link =)
    As for princess yy, I think it was love at first site, I think it mention she risked her life to save him but he only care about a servant. She neglected the rat because she said she was too perfect for him, only kong fung deserves her. I do feel bad she held on to this grudge most of her life, very tragic.

Hmm now I have to rewatch condor heros lolz, I really don't recall eddie's character. Now that you mention it, I do remember him in song bird. That movie was too sad for me and I never watched it again. I only remember liking the beginning when she was with Leon. Eddie got with Nadia after the first husband commit suicide right? I think at one point he told he only like her money. Then I don't remember what happens. She goes crazy at the end is all I remember, I think this is more said than the felix movie we were talking about. =(

Now that I think about it I used to be said when Eddie's character's father eats him and also the part where one of little fish masters get eaten. It was kind of disturbing when I watched it as a kid.

Is the actress that played siu mei mei felix wong's wife in real life?

Now that I think about it I used to be said when Eddie's character's father eats him and also the part where one of little fish masters get eaten. It was kind of disturbing when I watched it as a kid.
    It still disturbing but apparently its made up too by TVB to make Kong Bit Hok into a super villain and make Princess YY more pitiful. The novel really ended after the fight between the brothers and Princess YY went nuts. Kudos to TVB for adding in scary stuff like cannibalism and the frog.

Siu Mei Mei was played by Carrie Ng Kar Lai. Felix's wife is Leung Kit Wah. She played the general Yu Man Far Kap's wife in "The Grand Canal", the one who was forcibly raped and taken by Lawrence, but then tortured and abandoned by her husband when he took over the country.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Lau went on to some decent supporting roles. I think the largest role she got was in Zu Mountain and Jade Fox, both opposite Jimmy Au, but sadly both roles ended tragically. Her happiest ending came in Land of the Condors opposite Francis Ng (for the second half after Kitty Lai dies), and she ended up getting the man at the end. She really has class and a beautiful voice, although she is a bit short.
    Hey Ian! Have you ever watched "Fire on Ice" by TVB? It is a very well made telemovie made in the early 90's about three people that do anything to survive in the years spanning the Japanese occupation of China. Eddie Kwan and Lau Sau Ping play a couple that are separated by war. Vivian is a girl who gets raped by the Japanese. All three meet again in a tragic entanglement of love and hate where all become victims of circumstances. I personally think this is Lau Sau Ping's meatiest role. She goes from pitifully weak, to opportunistic, to bitter and jealous all in a span of 90 mins. It really showcases her acting skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Maggie Chan Mei Kei is a very talented actress, and I could swear she does anime voice-overs as that voice is just so familiar for motherly characters. My sister once bumped into her having dinner with Tai Chi-wai in our hotel coffee shop in HK, and asked for a photo and contact. My sister then started writing fan letters to her and she would reply in perfect English. What a lady!
    Maggie Chan is indeed very graceful and talented. She also wrote the lyrics for the subtheme of the old "Ling Shing Kuet". She is very learned and talented. I like her a lot.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Hey Ian! Have you ever watched "Fire on Ice" by TVB? It is a very well made telemovie made in the early 90's about three people that do anything to survive in the years spanning the Japanese occupation of China. Eddie Kwan and Lau Sau Ping play a couple that are separated by war. Vivian is a girl who gets raped by the Japanese. All three meet again in a tragic entanglement of love and hate where all become victims of circumstances. I personally think this is Lau Sau Ping's meatiest role. She goes from pitifully weak, to opportunistic, to bitter and jealous all in a span of 90 mins. It really showcases her acting skills.
    The only telemovie I recall her in was the one with Sheren Tang and Waisie Lee, in which she played a tragic kelefe peasant girl who was being sexually assaulted by Waisie's commanding officer. The officer shoots her in front of Waisie, which prompts him to attack his officer and inadvertently cause his death, forcing him to go on the run.

Maggie Chan is indeed very graceful and talented. She also wrote the lyrics for the subtheme of the old "Ling Shing Kuet". She is very learned and talented. I like her a lot.
    Is that the themesong which was used for the opening video? Lin Sheng Kuet had lovely songs, but unfortunately Sammi Cheng was really raw in those days, and her voice wasn't suited to the songs at all, made all the more obvious by being paired with Lui Fong!

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    It still disturbing but apparently its made up too by TVB to make Kong Bit Hok into a super villain and make Princess YY more pitiful. The novel really ended after the fight between the brothers and Princess YY went nuts. Kudos to TVB for adding in scary stuff like cannibalism and the frog.

Siu Mei Mei was played by Carrie Ng Kar Lai. Felix's wife is Leung Kit Wah. She played the general Yu Man Far Kap's wife in "The Grand Canal", the one who was forcibly raped and taken by Lawrence, but then tortured and abandoned by her husband when he took over the country.
    I really can't put a face to that name, its been way too long since I've watch the grand canal.

Now I really have to rewatch this series, I didn't know that was carrie ng. I never knew she was with tvb. I thought she just did films. I do recall her being in Atv's fated love.

I really can't put a face to that name, its been way too long since I've watch the grand canal.

Now I really have to rewatch this series, I didn't know that was carrie ng. I never knew she was with tvb. I thought she just did films. I do recall her being in Atv's fated love.
    Leung Kit Wah's other major roles were in Taiping Heavenly Kingdom as Northern Emperor Wei Changhui's wife (Chan Wingchun played her husband), and in Blood-stained Intrigue, where she played Wong Manming's elder sister (funnily also paired with Chan Wingchun).

Carrie Ng also had a cameo in Demi-Gods Semi-Devils 1982 as one of the two Wuliang disciples (I think her name was Guo Ganpei or something like that) being hunted by the Sacred Vulture Palace at the start. She also had the second female lead role in "The Legend of the General who never was".
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 04-18-15 at 10:24 AM.

Ian, I never seen those series you mention so I guess that would be another reason why I do not know who she is. Was she famous back then? I try searching for her online, but she does not look familiar.

Ian, I never seen those series you mention so I guess that would be another reason why I do not know who she is. Was she famous back then? I try searching for her online, but she does not look familiar.
    Leung Kit Wah was never a famous actress - more famous for being Felix's wife than anything, really, which was rather unfortunate as she was not a bad actress at all.

This is the opening theme for Blood-Stained Intrigue:-

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XOTU2Nzk0Mjg=.html

She's the one who gets stabbed at 1:22 by Chan Wingchun.

Leung Kit Wah was also in The Return of Luk Siu Fung as the wife of Autin Wai's character.