Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Xiao Feng vs. ZSF

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    That's what I originally thought too, but my good friend Hanky Panky persuaded me otherwise with this textual evidence:

众人均想:“如此喝将下去,醉也将他醉死了,还说什么动手过招?”
    殊不知乔峰却是多一分酒意,增一分精神力气

The experts thought: "If he continues drinking in this manner, he would be drunk to the point of dying, maybe we don't have to fight him after all."
    Little did they know that the more alcohol Qiao Feng takes in, the more energetic he becomes.
    Experts? 众人?? Who were the people?

This statement, from my point of view, disproves QF can be drunk rather than reinforce it.

如此喝将下去,醉也将他醉死了
    So they're thinking that if QF keeps drinking he will be drunk and die from it. (it being the state of drunkenness)

殊不知乔峰却是多一分酒意,增一分精神力气
    So it goes on to say that QF becomes more spirited the more he drinks. This means the people were wrong about QF dieing, and also wrong about him eventually becoming drunk.
    秋风清,秋风明;落叶聚还散,寒鸦栖复惊。相思相见知何日,此时此夜难为情

It's basically saying the more Qiao Feng drinks, the more advantageous it is.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I always felt that XF's drinking ability is no less bullcrap than DG9J.
    Well, it's not a main point, i.e. he doesn't depend on it, so you'll never see me rooting for him based on this point.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    And the Golden Wheel Fighter was at least a decade or two younger than the other Greats.
    JLFW should be about 75 at that time. During the first exchange between JLFW and GJ, it mentioned that JLFW was 20 years older than GJ. Since GJ was 55 at the end of ROCH, JLFW must be 75. Definitely a senior if you ask me.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚
    此时一灯大师的“一阳指”功夫实已到了登峰造极、炉火纯青的地步,指上发出的那股罡气似是温淳平和,但沛然浑厚,无可与抗

Keep in mind that the other Greats were two generations above Guo Jing, really. For example, HYS was a generation above MCF, who was a generation above HR, who was of the same generation as GJ.

JLFW being in the same 'category' as the Greats has to do with his ability in martial arts, not his age; in age, he should be a junior.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Keep in mind that the other Greats were two generations above Guo Jing, really. For example, HYS was a generation above MCF, who was a generation above HR, who was of the same generation as GJ.

JLFW being in the same 'category' as the Greats has to do with his ability in martial arts, not his age; in age, he should be a junior.
    What do you mean by 'generation'?

I have always thought that Huang Rong was in the same generation as MCF. How do you exactly define 'generation' in wuxia?

Quote Originally Posted by kwekmh View Post

I have always thought that Huang Rong was in the same generation as MCF. How do you exactly define 'generation' in wuxia?
    I guess there is a few ways to define generation. One way is the martial way of defining generation and the other is biological way.
    法王正欲回掌相击,突听嗤嗤轻响一股柔和的气流涌向面门,正是一灯大师使出“一阳指”功夫,正面拦截。法王一直没将这白眉老僧放在眼内,那料到他这一指之功,竟是如此深厚

Same as in real life: by age. MCF is the same age as Huang Rong's mum.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Same as in real life: by age. MCF is the same age as Huang Rong's mum.
    Does that apply to all authors, or only some? Because from what I've seen, different authors have different ways of sorting according to generation.
    Last edited by kwekmh; 08-05-07 at 01:21 AM.

Does that apply to all authors, or only some? Because from what I've seen, different authors have different ways of sorting according to generation.
    I think your right...MCF and her martial brothers call HR martial sister...so wouldnt they be in the same generation? Also IIRC CY was GF's martial uncle technically because she was directly taught by HYS.

In HSDS, the 7 heroes of WD were on the same or higher generation as MGST and the Kong generation monks irrc despite the age diffrences....
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Generations aren't usually mentioned in Gu Long's. Other authors tend to have the same thing as Jin Yong. Usually it's by age, but sometimes within a particular school, the rankings can override this. For example, a Xuan generation monk in Shaolin is a senior of a Kong generation monk, but the Xuan one may be the younger one. Luo what-his-name (the traitor among Yue Buqun's disciples) was several generations older than Linghu Chung (Luo was in his 50s or 60s IIRC) but he was still LHC's sidai, because chronologically he joined Huasan after LHC and he joined the same generation of disciples.

Between two schools, if the two are not close in terms of relationship, it will be age that decides it. If the two are close, then it's the two masters that will decide the "generation" thing for the rest. If the two are equals, then their disciples are equals. If Master A is Master B's sisok equivalent, then Master A's disciples are Master B's equals.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by duguxiaojing View Post
    I think your right...MCF and her martial brothers call HR martial sister...so wouldnt they be in the same generation? Also IIRC CY was GF's martial uncle technically because she was directly taught by HYS.

In HSDS, the 7 heroes of WD were on the same or higher generation as MGST and the Kong generation monks irrc despite the age diffrences....
    Also Lu's son treated GJ and HR as his elders, when he is around their age. The fact that GJ was jianghu brothers with ZBT screws a lot of things up - before he was same generation with QZ (after meeting HR), now he is same generation as greats.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Also Lu's son treated GJ and HR as his elders, when he is around their age. The fact that GJ was jianghu brothers with ZBT screws a lot of things up - before he was same generation with QZ (after meeting HR), now he is same generation as greats.
    Well, actually.... GJ could be the same generation as the Greats because of the brother ceremony, but then GJ could also be one generation smaller because Huang Yao Shi is GJ's father in law....
    Oh yeah, ZBT taking Yelu Qi as his disciple means YLQ is in the same generation as the old 7 QZ.

Z3F wins.

Even Jin Yong himself says Z3F is the greatest all-around fighter. Everything else is just fan speculation.

Also, Taijiquan is considered the ultimate pinnacle of Taoist martial arts and philosophy. HL18P is just simple raw power, nowhere near as sophisticated or advanced.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 01-14-09 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    Z3F wins.

Even Jin Yong himself says Z3F is the greatest all-around fighter. Everything else is just fan speculation.

Also, Taijiquan is considered the ultimate pinnacle of Taoist martial arts and philosophy. HL18P is just simple raw power, nowhere near as sophisticated or advanced.
    Greatest all-around fighter is not the greatest fighter.

I can probably dig out some Jin Yong comments about how Xiao Feng is the most feared fighter, the undefeated fighter, the greatest fighter etc....

What is more important, imho, is not the author's comments at interviews as they are often short replies without much evidence, but rather a feat to feat comparisons in the novels.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Greatest all-around fighter is not the greatest fighter.

I can probably dig out some Jin Yong comments about how Xiao Feng is the most feared fighter, the undefeated fighter, the greatest fighter etc....

What is more important, imho, is not the author's comments at interviews as they are often short replies without much evidence, but rather a feat to feat comparisons in the novels.

Han Solo
    I'm sorry but I don't buy it. Greatest all-around fighter means greatest all-around fighter. Feat to feat comparisons in novel is mostly fan speculation anyway. Jin Yong definitely meant Z3F to be amongst his most powerful fighters. I hate it when fans try to find "evidence" in novels to disprove claims made by Jin Yong himself. When JY said Z3F is the most powerful all-around fighter, then he really means it. Simple as that. JY intended Z3F to be uber powerful.

Sadly, Taijiquan is seriously under-rated in the forums. Taijiquan is meant to be the pinnacle of Taoist martial principles and philosophy in both real life and in JY's works.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 01-14-09 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    I hate it when fans try to find "evidence" in novels to disprove claims made by Jin Yong himself. When JY said Z3F is the most powerful all-around fighter, then he really means it. Simple as that. JY intended Z3F to be uber powerful. .
    Its hard to argue that point when you have Sweeper Monk in the cast of characters. You think JY intended Z3F to be more powerful all round than Sweeper Monk?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Its hard to argue that point when you have Sweeper Monk in the cast of characters. You think JY intended Z3F to be more powerful all round than Sweeper Monk?
    Moreover, Cheung 3 Fung has been injured by a fighter much weaker than himself. OK, that happened to the Janitor Monk too, but it's still somewhat damning information.

I think the wording was that Cheung 3 Fung was the best martial artist, which is not necessarily the same as best fighter.

I think Z3F may be the best martial artist with knowledge of martial arts and all. I can think of a fair few that can challenge him physically.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Sweeper Monk is a deus ex machina type character. So, no. Same with Bodhidharma and Dugu Qiubai. Sweeper Monk is practically a 'god' in wuxia terms. There is nobody in his league, so its not really a fair comparison especially given the fact that he only appears in very few scenes - i.e. he's not even a major character.

Although Z3F is not as powerful as Sweeper Monk (obviously), his invention of Taijiquan ranks as one of the most pinnacle moments in all of wuxia history. Perhaps even more so than the invention of Yi Jin Jing by Bodhidharma. So I'm not surprised JY made that comment.

Think of Z3F as a Ryu or a Ken and Sweeper Monk as a Super Akuma on godly steroids.

I think the wording was that Cheung 3 Fung was the best martial artist, which is not necessarily the same as best fighter
    Yeah, but put the "best martial artist" on Z3F's resume. Don't you think that adds a whole lot more to his credentials? If I put "ceo of microsoft, best programmer in the world" on my resume, that would definitely put me near the top in job fighting (job hunting). Sure, I may not land the job but my chances are higher. Same with Z3F. He may not be guaranteed to win the fight, but his chances are a lot higher especially with JY's comment. Remember that JY is the true god in wuxia, he creates the stories and characters! His intentions and comments are absolute canon, especially in regards to cross-novel comparisons and fights.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 01-15-09 at 01:58 AM.