Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Western medieval knight arrives in wuxia China...

Default A Western medieval knight arrives in wuxia China...

Let's say that during the Middle Ages, an English knight gets lost during the Crusades and ends up in China (Jin Yong universe). He's amazed by the incredible fighting arts of the Chinese...unlike anything that the knights of Europe can perform.

As a human being, this English knight has internal chi same as any other human being. With his Western upbringing, however, will he be able to learn it...even from great teachers such as Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung or Cheung 3 Fung (this doesn't even begin to touch upon the language barrier)? Usually, the advanced inner chi cultivation techniques depend on a sophisticated understanding of Buddhism or Taoism. The English knight, being a Christian...can he possibly learn these techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Let's say that during the Middle Ages, an English knight gets lost during the Crusades and ends up in China (Jin Yong universe). He's amazed by the incredible fighting arts of the Chinese...unlike anything that the knights of Europe can perform.

As a human being, this English knight has internal chi same as any other human being. With his Western upbringing, however, will he be able to learn it...even from great teachers such as Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung or Cheung 3 Fung (this doesn't even begin to touch upon the language barrier)? Usually, the advanced inner chi cultivation techniques depend on a sophisticated understanding of Buddhism or Taoism. The English knight, being a Christian...can he possibly learn these techniques?
    Since Wuxia is fantasy, I assume everywhere is fantasy, therefore the knight himself have probably dealt with wizards. He probably think the wuxia fighters are using magic.

he could have learned some stuff but i doubt he could have been any good.

In this fictional universe, this 'knight' might be a Paladin with

1. detect evil 40" (equal to wuxia fighters' sensing attacks from behind)
    2. Holy Armour + 2 (equates to HR's soft vest)
    3. Bastard Sword +3 Flames on Command (can fight heaven sword)
    4. Ring of protection (like 9 Yang Auto-Protect)
    5. Boots of speed (can match lightness kung fu)
    6. Potions of Greater Curing (to cure wuxia poisons)

Of course if you catch him without his equipment its bad for him unless he is a wizard or sorcerer instead of a fighter type.

Hmmm ... I 'm not sure I totally agree with your last statement. Apart from Wong Chung Yeung and Chow Bak Tung how many of the other Greats of the LoCH/RoCH era were influenced by Taoism and Buddhism re: inner energy cultivation. In terms of external techniques then the I-Ching and Taoism seems to spawn more examples.

I think the requirement of Buddhist enlightenment re: Shaolin inner power cultivation is a convenient limiter (a literary device) to producing Sweeper monks by the truckload.

I'm not sure a sophisticated understanding of the Tao is required to cultivate inner energy - maybe in coming up with the cultivation techniques in the first place. Arguably the best inner energy cultivation texts in LoCH/RoCh were 9Yin and 9Yang; both pretty much mastered by people who didn't demonstrate a profound understanding of the Tao.

So language barrier aside, self-awareness and understanding of the TCM model of human physiology is "all" that is required, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    In this fictional universe, this 'knight' might be a Paladin with

1. detect evil 40" (equal to wuxia fighters' sensing attacks from behind)
    2. Holy Armour + 2 (equates to HR's soft vest)
    3. Bastard Sword +3 Flames on Command (can fight heaven sword)
    4. Ring of protection (like 9 Yang Auto-Protect)
    5. Boots of speed (can match lightness kung fu)
    6. Potions of Greater Curing (to cure wuxia poisons)

Of course if you catch him without his equipment its bad for him unless he is a wizard or sorcerer instead of a fighter type.

Gee... you must play a lot of Diablo.

Ma Yuk will be able to help him.

Perhaps western sword fights can be on par with chinese DG9J. Robin hood vs Guo Jing in archery

One of Genghis Khan's generals was a Christian Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    One of Genghis Khan's generals was a Christian Knight.
    really?
    I thought all his armies are consists of only mongolians.

Quote Originally Posted by hentaixp
    Perhaps western sword fights can be on par with chinese DG9J. Robin hood vs Guo Jing in archery
    yeah right...

white people know how to fight without chinese instruction lol...

hahaha

you make me laugh. The western sword fighting you see that is interesting like in count of monte cristo is chinese chreographed.

White people don't know that stuffs. All they might have is a size and strength advantage may be....

The only white people who know how to fight are those that have been trained in Chinese origin martial arts or martial arts that are derived from chinese origin.
    Everything in the World can be solved by Violence, Diplomacy is a waste of time...Just ask George W. Bush

Roflmao!!! I can just imagine a knight, complete with armor and a horse, looking around in confusion...-slaps knee-

If I were one of the wuxia heroes, I would l.a.u.g.h.

Here's a llama
    There's a llama
    And another little llama
    Fuzzy llama
    Funny llama
    Llama llama duck

Llama llama
    Cheesecake llama
    Tablet brick potato llama...

Can GJ kill someone in a full armor with his bare hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Can GJ kill someone in a full armor with his bare hands?
    depends on who is wearing the armor,yes of course if its a ordinary person

It would be a brave knight who takes off his armour to try and learn qinggong, and forsake his entire method of fighting for a completely new method relying on dexterity to avoid being hurt.

Bah. How bout having a Space Marine from Warhammer 40k find himself stranded on "Earth" with all the martial arts people.

His Terminator armor and Storm bolter would kick all the so called greats.

if i were the knight, i will bring xf back to europe for drinking sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    if i were the knight, i will bring xf back to europe for drinking sessions.
    When he gets there, those medieval European lords will have one of these two reactions:

1. They'll see what Kiu Fung can do and salivate over the prospect of what this mighty man of the East might do against their enemies.

2. They'll see what Kiu Fung can do and begin shaking in terror and praying that this Khitan barbarian never develops a desire to conquer their lands.

precisely, ken. i will bring him back and supply him with unlimited whisky, vodka, gin, etc etc.

2. They'll see what Kiu Fung can do and begin shaking in terror and praying that this Khitan barbarian never develops a desire to conquer their lands.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealMan
    yeah right...

white people know how to fight without chinese instruction lol...

hahaha

you make me laugh. The western sword fighting you see that is interesting like in count of monte cristo is chinese chreographed.

White people don't know that stuffs. All they might have is a size and strength advantage may be....

The only white people who know how to fight are those that have been trained in Chinese origin martial arts or martial arts that are derived from chinese origin.
    If you are talking about martial arts outside of wuxia fiction then this is pretty ignorant. Western sword arts, e.g. Italian, Spanish and German schools of fencing (not the modern sport) are as practical, if not as profound, as anything in Chinese martial arts.

Over two millenia of warfare amounts to a lot of martial arts knowledge, even if there are no Western concepts of chi, qing gong, yin/yang, tai chi, etc. It is not just about size and strength - their opponents are/were likely to be similarly sized people.