Thread: Wong Yung and the flute

Default Wong Yung and the flute

We all know that Wong Yerk See's weapon and musical instrument of choice is the flute. His last pupil Ching Ying also played the flute and used it as a weapon. Was there any instance in all of LOCH and ROCH that Wong Yung actually showed that she could play the flute?

She did play the zither, and I believe Lu Chengfeng also showed some musical ability. Music probably wasn't a prerequisite for Taohuadao martial arts, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew
    She did play the zither, and I believe Lu Chengfeng also showed some musical ability. Music probably wasn't a prerequisite for Taohuadao martial arts, though.
    Gwok Jing, who learned some Peach Blossom Island skills (at least the Mighty Snap), was a pretty mean drummer (that's how he won Stage 2 of the contest to gain Wong Yung's hand in marriage). Yeung Gor, who learned the Mighty Snap and the Jade Flute Sword Technique, didn't play jack as far as we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Gwok Jing, who learned some Peach Blossom Island skills (at least the Mighty Snap), was a pretty mean drummer (that's how he won Stage 2 of the contest to gain Wong Yung's hand in marriage). Yeung Gor, who learned the Mighty Snap and the Jade Flute Sword Technique, didn't play jack as far as we know.
    He didn't really win Stage 2; because they were competing in terms of rhythm and not internal energy, Huang Yao Shi gave them a draw.

But anyhow, I think HYS did make an effort to give his disciples quite a 'well-rounded' education, given the knowledge (of poetry, antiques, history etc.) displayed by Lu and Qu. I suppose they would've been taught a bit of music as well.
    Last edited by xuelian; 09-11-05 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xuelian
    He didn't really win Stage 2; because they were competing in terms of rhythm and not internal energy, Huang Yao Shi gave them a draw.

But anyhow, I think HYS did make an effort to give his disciples quite a 'well-rounded' education, given the knowledge (of poetry, antiques, history etc.) displayed by Lu and Qu. I suppose they would've been taught a bit of music as well.
    HYS gave it to OYK, but gave praise to GJ's internal.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    HYS gave it to OYK, but gave praise to GJ's internal.
    According to my edition, it was a draw:

黄药师笑道:“你向我磕头干么啊?”郭靖道:“蓉儿叫我磕的。”黄药师暗叹:“傻小子终究是傻小子。”伸手 拉开了欧阳克耳上蒙着的丝巾,说道:“论内功是郭贤侄强些,但我刚才考的是音律,那却是欧阳贤侄高明得多了 ……这样罢,这一场两人算是平手。

But not like it matters ;p

Ummm, this rises a question I'd never thought of. HR were never really interested in martial arts. That's the reason that she slacks off with some of the techniques, but she is obviously very well educated and adept in mathematics. May she had been more interested in arts and literature?
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"