Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why did JY waste so much on these two characters?

Default Why did JY waste so much on these two characters?

XZ and DY both are the two luckiest characters in JY universe, having tons of power and skills handed to them. Yet these two have no desire in becoming great fighters. I wonder why JY gave these seemingly undeserving characters all those skills and power? What point is JY trying to make here?

Let's top it off with, assuming these two one day reach their peak, what would a fight between XZ and DY look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    XZ and DY both are the two luckiest characters in JY universe, having tons of power and skills handed to them. Yet these two have no desire in becoming great fighters. I wonder why JY gave these seemingly undeserving characters all those skills and power? What point is JY trying to make here?
    Something Biblical, such as "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the Earth."

I quote the Bible quite a bit for an irreligious person.

Let's top it off with, assuming these two one day reach their peak, what would a fight between XZ and DY look like?
    DY wouldn't be able to protect himself if XZ manage to fight him close, and same with how XZ could have a hard time getting through 6msj if DY does incorporate sword stances with them. XZ also has ssf. DY and XZ both do play an important role in the story, so i guess they are created to serve the story?
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Something Biblical, such as "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the Earth."

I quote the Bible quite a bit for an irreligious person.
    That should be blasphemy, you should be quoting Buddhist's texts. This is wuxia, have you forgotten Ken? hehe

That should be blasphemy, you should be quoting Buddhist's texts. This is wuxia, have you forgotten Ken? hehe
    After a while, you begin to realize that most religions are saying the same thing...just in different words.

If more people realized it, we'd probably have fewer wars.

Quote Originally Posted by superboy
    DY wouldn't be able to protect himself if XZ manage to fight him close, and same with how XZ could have a hard time getting through 6msj if DY does incorporate sword stances with them. XZ also has ssf. DY and XZ both do play an important role in the story, so i guess they are created to serve the story?
    No no, the questions isn't why they are created, but why did they recieved so much gifts from God (JY).

If one were to think in Buddhist perspective, XZ and DY must have been saints in their previous life to earn so much good fortune in their current life.

btw, you did not pick a winner in the fight. Who would it be if you had to choose?

After a while, you begin to realize that most religions are saying the same thing...just in different words.

If more people realized it, we'd probably have fewer wars.
    In every mountain of lies, there is a foundation of truth. The lies are what seperated the religions.

XZ and DY must have been saints in their previous life to earn so much good fortune in their current life.
    They were pretty nice guys in their then-current lives too.

Deun Yu and Hui Juk often get picked on by fans for not fitting the manly wuxia superhero archetype, but both were likeable gentlemen with good hearts and more heroic spirit than most give them credit for.

They were pretty nice guys in their then-current lives too.

Deun Yu and Hui Juk often get picked on by fans for not fitting the manly wuxia superhero archetype, but both were likeable gentlemen with good hearts and more heroic spirit than most give them credit for.
    You missed the second part of my post regarding a fight between them at their peak. How would it unfold in your perspective?

You missed the second part of my post regarding a fight between them at their peak. How would it unfold in your perspective?
    I didn't miss it; I chose not to answer it because I have no idea.

It'd probably come down to who strikes first.

Hui Juk's abilities are more reliable, however. He isn't given to sudden power shortages like Deun Yu is.

Way to completely miss the point of DGSD!
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Some were born into greatness,
    Some achieved greatness,
    and some have greatness thrust into them.

That is the story of the 3 brothers. (sort of)

Duan Yu and Xu Zhu's presences are fundamental to the core message of DGSD -- and a core underlying theme of most of Jin Yong's novels. That theme is the inevitability of fate and its bitter irony. DGSD absolutely teems with it; even the introduction, which talks about the nagas having the personality and flaws of humans despite their heavenly powers, contains evident undertones. In the novel itself, we see the Xiao Yao Sect elders, who have amazing powers (I don't care what people say about how powerful they are compared to the Greats -- literarily, the XY elders are intended to be absolutely awe-inspiring) and the grace of the gods, fight to the death over something as simple as a man's affection -- and to find that it was all in vain, that WYZ loved neither of them, that they lost out to an almost forgotten young girl who died many years ago. Meanwhile, DY and XZ, neither of whom had any intention of becoming the powerful beings they became, stumbled upon incredible powers. XF, who is the ultimate martial artist, whose actions are of the utmost righteousness, has the most tragic fate of all. That's the reason why Jin Yong included DY and XZ -- and one of the reasons why Jin Yong still has this huge following. It's not just because we like to split hairs and pretend these people actually existed, it's because Jin Yong's writing actually carries a deep meaning that has resonated and still resonates for many of us.

Okay that is all. By the way, I'm a new member, hi, I can read almost no Chinese, I rely on translations and summaries and what my dad said, so PLEASE translators -- translate!

Thanks, good bye.

dius corvus

Quote Originally Posted by dius corvus
    Duan Yu and Xu Zhu's presences are fundamental to the core message of DGSD -- and a core underlying theme of most of Jin Yong's novels. That theme is the inevitability of fate and its bitter irony. DGSD absolutely teems with it; even the introduction, which talks about the nagas having the personality and flaws of humans despite their heavenly powers, contains evident undertones. In the novel itself, we see the Xiao Yao Sect elders, who have amazing powers (I don't care what people say about how powerful they are compared to the Greats -- literarily, the XY elders are intended to be absolutely awe-inspiring) and the grace of the gods, fight to the death over something as simple as a man's affection -- and to find that it was all in vain, that WYZ loved neither of them, that they lost out to an almost forgotten young girl who died many years ago. Meanwhile, DY and XZ, neither of whom had any intention of becoming the powerful beings they became, stumbled upon incredible powers. XF, who is the ultimate martial artist, whose actions are of the utmost righteousness, has the most tragic fate of all. That's the reason why Jin Yong included DY and XZ -- and one of the reasons why Jin Yong still has this huge following. It's not just because we like to split hairs and pretend these people actually existed, it's because Jin Yong's writing actually carries a deep meaning that has resonated and still resonates for many of us.

Okay that is all. By the way, I'm a new member, hi, I can read almost no Chinese, I rely on translations and summaries and what my dad said, so PLEASE translators -- translate!

Thanks, good bye.

dius corvus
    nicely written... welcome to the forum

I personally would rather have the reliability and durability of XZ over DY. Even if DY clicks on all cylinder, I think he will have a hard time damaging XZ.

quote : 'Why did JY waste so much on these two characters?'

i must ask ' Why did you waste so much time in this forum glorifying yang guo and questioning people whether they read the novel?'

You have no right to say JY is wasting time to focus on these two lucky chaps . I think they are nice dudes and they deserve the top skills

dius corvus welcome aboard. Enjoyed your input. The three,XK,DY & XZ became 'brothers' because I think they saw in each other what they lacked as an individual. Maybe that's the point. In the end, DY & XZ were there for XF even though the end was tragic.
    Wizard

Yang Gor, dius corvus answered your question.... thats the message DGSD intended to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by hentaixp
    You have no right to say JY is wasting time to focus on these two lucky chaps . I think they are nice dudes and they deserve the top skills
    He's got the right to say what he wants; whether or not anyone will agree with him is an entirely different matter.

Default Nah...

Fine, even if the two are nice guys, but whats the point when you don't have the fighting instinct? If XF would have gotten the kung fu, he would use them to kick any bad guys butt bad. Xu Zhu is like, I don't want to fight you. Dang is like I just to be with Wang YuYan and I don't really want to go kill. My point is that the kung fu should be given to someone that has a good heart and the good fighting instinct(like XF). What the point of Xu Zhu and Dang recieving them, except for probably protecting themselves and their lady.

Xu Zhu is like, I don't want to fight you.
    Um...No. He doesn't want to fight unless its necessarily.

What the point of Xu Zhu and Dang recieving them, except for probably protecting themselves and their lady.
    Thats not good enough?

To get back to Yang Gor's question...one of the underlying theme in TL8B is that desire leads to one's downfall(a buddhist philosophy). If it's meant to be yours than it will be yours no matter what. If it's not meant to be yours than no matter what you do you can't never achieve it. Case in point, Duan Yu and Xu Zhu, both don't want to learn any kungfu, but they both ended up with superb skills. MRF and Jiu Mo Zhi, the former wanted to restore the dynasty and the former want to Liu Mai Shen Jian, but both failed to get what they want.