Thread: Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Yip Goo Sing: who became renown first?

Default Sai Mun Chui Sheut and Yip Goo Sing: who became renown first?

In the LUK SIU FUNG saga, readers encounter Sai Mun Chui Sheut first. After all, he is one of the saga's main supporting characters. Yip Goo Sing, a villain, doesn't appear until later. In terms of their renown as swordsmen, however, who came first? Who was the veteran champ and who was the hungry young challenger? I get the impression that Yip Goo Sing was a few years older than Sai Mun Chui Sheut. Did Yip emerge as a famous swordsman first, or did Sai Mun precede him?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    In the LUK SIU FUNG saga, readers encounter Sai Mun Chui Sheut first. After all, he is one of the saga's main supporting characters. Yip Goo Sing, a villain, doesn't appear until later. In terms of their renown as swordsmen, however, who came first? Who was the veteran champ and who was the hungry young challenger? I get the impression that Yip Goo Sing was a few years older than Sai Mun Chui Sheut. Did Yip emerge as a famous swordsman first, or did Sai Mun precede him?
    I think YGC was more renown and the veteran champ. If I recall right, the betting odds were more in favor of YGC winning.

Quote Originally Posted by hyoyatika View Post
    I think YGC was more renown and the veteran champ. If I recall right, the betting odds were more in favor of YGC winning.
    One reason for that is that Yip Goo Sing had very publicly challenged and defeated some formidable opponents in the month prior to the scheduled duel while Sai Mun Chui Sheut went into seclusion during that month (to prepare a sanctuary for his wife and unborn child). SMCS's last recorded victory prior to that, however, was pretty substantial: Dook Goo 1 Hok, leader of the Ngor Mei Sect. Not sure if YGS had a kill of that caliber (circumstantial of otherwise) on his resume.