Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best ROCH adaptation?

Default Best ROCH adaptation?

just wondering iyo what is the best ROCH adaptation? and How is the new one with Liu Yu Fei in it?

and wondering where can i get these in the States?

PS. If this is in the wrong place plz tell me

It's not even out yet. I have seen all other ROCH adaptations though and I must say, ROCH 84 with Andy and Idy is the best. Louis Koo in ROCH 95, along with numerous actors/actresses, were just awlful if you look at that series again. Louis Koo seemed to have a speech problem and the girl who played Gwok Seung obviously grew up overseas cause her Cantonese was awlful. Carmen was the best XNL IMO though. Christopher Lee in the Singapore ROCH is the 2nd best YG, next to Andy Lau. Richie Ren is of course the worst YG ever. Jacquelin Ng is also the worst XNL ever. Fann Wong is a pretty bad XNL too.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Of course, ROCH 1984 is the best!!!

none know where to get it in the States? and just wondering is downloading it an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Thai guy
    Of course, ROCH 1984 is the best!!!
    It shows you have taste.

The supporting cast for the 80s TVB version has not been rivalled imo.

Carmen & Idy were fine XLNs.

Andy acted well. Chris Lee was also great. Louis' acting was rather lacking.

The best eagle imo was the singapore cgi one. Stuck out like a sore thumb but at least it got rid of that damn feather suit which seemed to be very similar in the 80s & 90s TVB version.

The choregraphy in the singapore version also gave me a headache. -.-"
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Only seen the '95 and '84 version.

Yang Gor: Andy Lau was near perfect as the pre-16 year separation Yang Guo. He was so natural at flirting with girls and making fun of people (the scenes most representative of this is when he first met Lu Wu Sheng - he pretended to be mentally handicapped and played several tricks on her, even got Chow Bak Tung in on the act - the chemistry between Andy and Chow Bak Tung was great).
    Andy was also excellent with Idy. Andy was atheltic, doing a lot of the flips and jumps like a monkey (very good playful Yang Guo).

Louis Koo I agree with you guys were pretty bad pre-16 year separation (speech problem as you guys mentioned). However after 16 year period he was very good playing the heroic type - even more so than Andy Lau. He had a strong and commanding air to him. He's taller than Andy Lau, so that might be the reason why he seems more heroic, more fitting to carry the Hevy Iron Sword. (Louis Koo was typecasted as a tough guy in plenty of movies after ROCH).

The new Yang Guo , Huang Xiao Ming looks born to play the role. From the trailers I've seen he looks able to tkae the best out of Andy Lau and Louis Koo' performances and merge them into one. If you don't know what I'm talkign about go to the China Series forum and look up one of the latter pages of the ROCH thread, there are pictures and music videoes there.

XLN: Both Idy Chan and Carmen Lee were beautiful - though I think Idy edges out Carmen slightly in the looks department. Idy was better playign the naive side of XLN, while Carmen was better giving icy cold looks (both were good in both aspects though). Carmen seemed a bit more athletic, more capable of doing the action sequences. Carmen seemed a little better being a somewhat maternal figure to Yang Guo - more caring. Both actresses had great chemistry with their leading man. I am happy with both actresses performance, the ONLY thing I see somewhat not satisfactory is their age. They both looked like they were in their early 20's. XLN was suppose to look like a teenager. The new XLN in the CHina series looks the role. However, I heard that her acting leaves somethign to be deisre, but maybe just rumours.

I prefer Theresa Lee's Guo Xiang (ROCH95) to the one in ROCH84. She was more convincing as a 16 year-old compared to the actress in ROCH84 because she looked young and has a cute voice. The one in ROCH looked too old for a 16 year-old. Her adult voice also didn't help.

This link might be useful:
    http://taykis.tripod.com/roch_versions.html

I note that TVB did a version in 77, and only 6 years later did the Andy version. The Yang Guo in the 77 version... is that the same actor that plays Ren Wo Xing in the 90s TVB SOD?

-------------

I think the Guo Fu in the 80s TVB version was the best. Guo Xiang - i like all 3 from the TVB 80s & 90s as well as the Singapore one.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

No way, Huang "I'm a screaming ape" Xiao Ming turned out to be one of the worst Yang Guos in history. He would have been the worst...saved for the disastrous Richie Ren in Yang Pei Pei's ROCH.

Huang Xiao Ming might be handsome by today's standards but he completely doesn't suit the ancient look. Gimme Andy anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbywu View Post
    The new Yang Guo , Huang Xiao Ming looks born to play the role. From the trailers I've seen he looks able to tkae the best out of Andy Lau and Louis Koo' performances and merge them into one. If you don't know what I'm talkign about go to the China Series forum and look up one of the latter pages of the ROCH thread, there are pictures and music videoes there.

I'd really appreciate if someone explained to me that obsession with "ancient" looks. I mean - I didn't like Huang's YG, I downright hated how he portrayed the young YG (let's ignore for a moment I rather hate YG as such) - but how in the nine hells does Lau look more ancient...?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge Liang View Post
    This link might be useful:
    http://taykis.tripod.com/roch_versions.html

I note that TVB did a version in 77, and only 6 years later did the Andy version. The Yang Guo in the 77 version... is that the same actor that plays Ren Wo Xing in the 90s TVB SOD?
    I think the 1977 version was an RTV/ATV one...
    Not sure.

In any case, the "Unknown" guy is Law Lok Lam - who apparently did play RWX in 90s TVB SOD.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

TVB did not do a version in 1977. That version was produced by the now defunct Commercial Television. After the company closed down, TVB bought the rights to their wuxia series. But, unfortunately, the master copy of LOCH starring Michelle Yim was lost (after transfer to TVB).
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Huang Xiaoming handled the older post-16 years Yang Guo quite well, but was horrible in the pre-16 years part, which unfortunately formed the majority of the serial. Louis Koo wasn't as bad as some people say, but his old YG doesn't quite have the same feel as HXM's. I do like Andy Lau's portrayal of the younger YG, but not so much his old YG. So it's hard to say, really. I'd choose Andy's young YG and HXM's old YG if I could.

For XLN it's much easier to choose, since the character hardly changes. It's LYF for me - the dubbed voice which replaced her girly voice really did it for me. Carmen comes a close second, but her voice wasn't as cool. I've never been a fan of Idy's XLN, not even when I first watched it in 84, but that's probably due to me not liking the actress that much.

For the rest of the supporting cast, ROCH 84 wins hands down - you just don't get supporting cast like that anymore, whether in HK, China or Taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    I'd really appreciate if someone explained to me that obsession with "ancient" looks. I mean - I didn't like Huang's YG, I downright hated how he portrayed the young YG (let's ignore for a moment I rather hate YG as such) - but how in the nine hells does Lau look more ancient...?
    Hmmm...I recently caught Ip Man 2 and honestly think that HXM looks much better in short hair than long hair. Preferably in crew cut or semi-bald. He's real hot in Ip Man 2, but as YG looks-wise and acting-wise compared to Andy...nah.

I love Andy's pre-16 YG. I recently rewatched ROCH 84 and he ROCKS! He's so sooo adorable as young YG, especially his interactions with Old Mischief aka ZBT. The funniest part was when he pretended to be the ghost of Wang Chongyang and made Zhao Zhijing crawl on the floor like a cat.
    Last edited by munianci; 06-28-10 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by munianci View Post
    The funniest part was when he pretended to be the ghost of Wang Chongyang and made Zhao Zhijing crawl on the floor like a cat.
    Ooh, that was the part I hated the most when I think of accuracy to the novel, as it was just TVB filler, and served to drag the series longer than it needed to. It also made YG more antagonistically mischievous than he really was.

Quote Originally Posted by munianci View Post
    Hmmm...I recently caught Ip Man 2 and honestly think that HXM looks much better in short hair than long hair. Preferably in crew cut or semi-bald. He's real hot in Ip Man 2, but as YG looks-wise and acting-wise compared to Andy...nah.
    Me, I'm the other way around. I find wuxia hair fits Huang better. He looks more dramatic with it.

Did he overact as Yang Guo as an exercise before he did Wei Xiaobao? Just a very random thought. Since I sometimes saw his Yang Guo make Dicky Cheung-like gestures.

Quote Originally Posted by leorio View Post
    Me, I'm the other way around. I find wuxia hair fits Huang better. He looks more dramatic with it.

Did he overact as Yang Guo as an exercise before he did Wei Xiaobao? Just a very random thought. Since I sometimes saw his Yang Guo make Dicky Cheung-like gestures.
    I find Huang Xiao Ming to be VERY masculine in appearance..tan skinned, fit n tone, cleft chin, and sharp eyes, and thus very well suited for wuxia series. He was so manly and heroic in the 16 years later arc. I only watched Andy as young Yang Guo but not the elder so I can't comment in comparison. Though I can say young Andy was so handsome and adorable at the same time. Huang Xiao Ming not so much.

For XLN...hhmmm....I must say I only really watched LYF's version till the end. Idy Chan is a bit before my time. In the MoM's opinion, LYF is not of the same caliber of beauty as Idy...looks too much like a little kid face-wise. I adore Carman Lee in general...sO she's the best. Fann Wong was simply not ethereal enough to be captivating, and neither was Jacqueline Wu from Richie's version.

I like all the Guo Xiang's [adorableness] and Guo Fu's [beauty]. The latest Chen Ying looked like a cat....her cousin Lu Wushang though was so cute.

Dicky Cheung was in the poorest Lu Ding Ji adaption ever as far as accuracy...but for the actresses, I think he had the best wives. They were all distinctly beautiful n it was easy to tell them apart with just a glance. Take away accuracy to the novel though, and I can imagine it to be wonderful adaption because it had Dicky!
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I find Huang Xiao Ming to be VERY masculine in appearance..tan skinned, fit n tone, cleft chin, and sharp eyes, and thus very well suited for wuxia series. He was so manly and heroic in the 16 years later arc. I only watched Andy as young Yang Guo but not the elder so I can't comment in comparison. Though I can say young Andy was so handsome and adorable at the same time. Huang Xiao Ming not so much.
    Andy's post-16 years Yang Guo was, well, boyish.. he tried to act more mature, but at that time he really had a very boyish look about him. He was cool, but nowhere near as Huang Xiaoming was in ROCH 06. His pre 16-years Yang Guo was an absolute joy to watch, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Andy's post-16 years Yang Guo was, well, boyish.. he tried to act more mature, but at that time he really had a very boyish look about him. He was cool, but nowhere near as Huang Xiaoming was in ROCH 06. His pre 16-years Yang Guo was an absolute joy to watch, though.
    I loved Ouyang Feng in ROCH 83. I love it that he bonded with Idy's XLN and accepted her as a daughter-in-law and told YG to marry her before he died. It's like YG gained acceptance from his replacement dad for his marriage to XLN - the only person in Wulin who approved of their relationship. OYF was more of a father to him than GJ in this case.

But I think OYF's reunion with YG in ROCH 2006 was extremely touching. I just love this father-son relationship between OYF and YG in all the adaptations. Too bad the old jeezer died - he could have been a great asset to YG and beat the crap out of anybody who disapproves of YG's relationship with XLN.

I thought HXM was perfect as Yang Guo. Before the 16 years, he was witty, hilarious, likeable, and very fun to watch. And unlike previous YGs, (no one take this comment the wrong way!) he made it understandable why all the girls mentioned of his generation were in love with him. Post-16 years, it wasn't just like the actor changed costumes and manner of acting. I felt like it was a different person entirely; major character development, yet still believable, somehow.

LYF wasn't bad as XLN, not extraordinarily amazing either. I didn't like the dubber at all, though, I found the voice quite mushy and annoying.