“Chemistry of Love”

Written by PENSHOPPE
Characters:
Kenneth Yin
Nicole Jin
Ericka Huh
Warren Kim

Chapter 1 part A: "Hello there, Mr. Snob!"

“Free at last!” Nicole shouted as she came out from the train which came from her province, Incheon. She didn’t mind the people staring at her ridiculously. For this was her first time to visit Seoul alone, and this will also be the start of her college life.

Nicole just graduated from high school, and when she got the opportunity to get a scholarship in Seoul University, she immediately grabbed on to it. She always dreamed of living independently, and so, this was her chance…

“Kim Soon apartment…Hmm where could it be? Ah here it is!” Nicole ecstatically ran into the building to check her room and suddenly she bumped into a rusty looking man, he was wearing an army green colored jacket, old dirty black pants and an old baseball cap, looking like a gangster. “Oops sorry sir” Nicole apologized, “Next time, you should be careful with your moves girl!” the man snobbishly replied and left. “Girl?! I’m not a girl anymore! I’m already 20! Are people here in this apartment like this?!” Nicole annoyingly stumped to what the man said. “He’s really like that, just ignore him, by the way are you the new boarder?” The landlord patted Nicole’s shoulder. “Oh yes, good morning sir, my name is Nicole Jin, nice to meet you.” ”Oh Nicole, such a sweet name, by the way my name is Cheuy, come along now, I’ll lead you to your room.”. And as the two were walking through the hallway Cheuy was interrogating Nicole, “So, tell me about yourself Nicole”, “Um, I just arrived from my home province Incheon, and I’m here to study Food Technology in Seoul University.” “Oh I see, wow you’re so brave to take up Food Technology in that university, I heard there are a lot of terror teachers there. That’s why I didn’t enter in that university.” Cheuy proudly said, it made Nicole chuckled because of Cheuy’s funny expression. “So what university did you enter?” Nicole innocently asked, she was expecting to get a funny answer. “Ah…At…Okay, you got me, I didn’t enter college, I was forced to manage this apartment.But who will think that I didn’t enter college? I’m a fine looking man! Right Nicole? Answer me!” Nicole sweetly smiled and answered “Yes sir, you indeed look like a professional!” and both laughed.

“Ah…My own room at last!” Nicole jumped on her bed. Being the only girl in the family, Nicole was pampered by her parents, and somewhat over protected. That’s why it was a big surprise to Nicole that her parents permitted her to study in Seoul.
Suddenly, she thought of the man she bumped into. Nicole never liked dirty looking guys, but she realized that the man earlier has lovely eyes, thinking of this Nicole blushed. “Nicole! What’s happening to you?! Are you crazy? That man is too old and snobbish!” Nicole shouted and covered her face with her pillow. And then her cell phone rang, “Hello?.. Oh mom! Yes, I just arrived. Thanks for fixing everything I need for my stay here… The other tenants? Oh, I still haven’t met with them yet, except for the land lord Cheuy, he’s funny, and I hope the others are like him. May I speak to dad?...Hi daddy! Yes, I’m behaving, promise I’ll be a good girl for your sake… What?! A boyfriend? Come on dad! You know I don’t have any plans of having a boyfriend or even get married! I want to be forever your precious daughter!... Yes, I could manage everything dad, remember I’m independent now!...Well then, good bye dad, I love you both, don’t worry about me I could take care of everything, bye!” After hanging up the phone, Nicole thought of her father’s question about her plan on having a boyfriend “A boy friend ei? Well, I think I’ve changed my mind. I want to have a boyfriend!”.

With a sunny smile, Nicole went out of her room to wander around Seoul and get familiarized. When she closed her door she caught a sight of the man she bumped into earlier. His room was just beside of Nicole’s. Nicole bowed, but the man just went inside his room. “Hmp! How snobbish!” Nicole lost her smile. While taking her walk down the stairs, Nicole met Ericka. “Good afternoon, I’m a new boarder here, my name is Nicole Jin, and you are?” “Ericka Huh, just call me Ericka. Nice to meet you Nicole, I stay in room #27, you?” “Room #30” “Room #30? So you live beside Mr. Snob’s room?” “Mr. Snob’s room? Is he the rusty looking man?” Ericka whispered “Yes, we call him Mr. Snob, the reason is obvious, have you seen him?” “Oh yes, I bumped up with him when I arrived earlier, he is really snooty. Like, what’s the matter with him?” Ericka came closer to Nicole and said, “Don’t tell this to anyone, but I ‘heard’ that he is a gangster, he became one after his family was killed by some gangsters.” “Oh, I’m so sorry to hear that. Maybe that’s why” Nicole frowned in hearing the concise story of ‘Mr. Snob’. “Oh, don’t frown Nicole, you’ll lose your sweet face. Are you free this evening? I want us to take dinner together, don’t worry it’s my treat.” Ericka smiled at Nicole, retrieving Nicole’s smile. “Yes, I’m free this evening. Actually I don’t have anything important to do now. Can you tour me around, friend?” “Why not, friend!” Both happily held arms together and strolled around Seoul the whole day...^__^

Chemistry of Love:Chapter 1 part B "Hello there, Mr. Snob!"

Chapter 1: part B

That evening in a pub…

“Kenneth! Good too see you again!” Allan waved at the approaching Kenneth “Here take at seat, so how’s life, it seems that you’ve changed your image from a mister suave to a gangster, is that the new fad?” Allan asked as Kenneth sat down and lit up a cigarette and grinned, “Still the same...the same worthless life” “Come on Kenneth! There’s more to live for! And that’s why I’m here talking to you now, I want to propose you something” Kenneth was stirred with Allan’s statement “What proposal?” “The university is in need of chemistry teachers and…” Kenneth reacted just before Allan finishes his sentence “Allan, you know I don’t want to teach anymore! My life is ruined after my family was murdered by those heartless gangsters!” “Calm down Kenneth, it’s not the end of the world! After your family was murdered, you’re always like that! Think about it, I’ll be waiting for your answer.” Allan left the pub. Kenneth held a deep sigh, how he wish that everything was okay. He remembered the days when he was still a professor in Seoul University and a happy family man. This all changed when the incident happened three years ago. From that day on, Kenneth’s life became miserable: he was fired out of his job, he lost a lot of friends, and only a few were left, and Allan was one of those people.

While walking home from their leisurely walk, Ericka and Nicole again saw ‘Mr. Snob’. “Hey Nicole, there’s Mr. Snob.” Ericka pointed out to the man who entered the apartment building. Nicole noticed the sadness in his face, she could vividly see it through his lovely eyes. She felt bad for ‘Mr. Snob’.

Ericka and Nicole went to Ericka’s room to have chat. “I think I’ll like it here in Seoul” Nicole amiably said. “That’s good Nicole. May I again ask how long will you be studying here in Seoul?” “Four to five years, after that I want to have my masters abroad, probably in London. How about you? How many years left before you finish your course in Interior design?” “Um, three to four years, after that I would perhaps get married.” Nicole was shocked with Ericka’s plan “Get married? Are you sure? After finishing college, you would just get tied up? And most important of all, to whom?!” “I still don’t know, but I’ll start my search for that man. You see Nicole, people have different goals in life. As for me, I want to share my achievements with ‘someone’.” “Huh?” Nicole was bothered with Ericka’s ‘goal in life’, in her mind she was thinking “How could people be like this? Am I still young not to understand these kinds of explanations?” Ericka noticed the trouble in Nicole’s face “Nicole, have you been in love?” Nicole oddly looked at Ericka “Huh? In love? Not yet.” “Oh that’s why, you know Nicole you should also start searching for the ‘one’. You’re now in college, and you’re old enough to fall in love. You need ‘someone’ to protect you, especially because you’re here in Seoul. These days, it’s scary to walk alone at night.” “Who needs a protector? I can protect myself! About the boyfriend thing, a while ago I just decided to have a boyfriend, but not now.” “That’s good, at least you have a plan on not being an old maid! Hey, during the day have you found any guy attractive?” Nicole blushed as she thought of Mr. Snob, Ericka jokingly said “Ooh, I think you like Mr. Snob! Am I right Nicole? You like Mr. Snob!” Nicole blushed intensely, confirming Ericka’s speculation, Ericka’s eyes widened “Nicole! That’s just a joke! Tell me that’s a joke!” and Nicole shyly replied “I found his eyes lovely, that’s all” “Nicole! I didn’t know you have a bad taste on guys!” Ericka threw a pillow at Nicole and this started a pillow fight.

Returning to her room, Nicole saw that ‘Mr. Snob’s’ door was slightly open. To her curiosity, she took a peek inside. Nicole’s eyes widened to see Mr. Snob alone in his sofa, only a lamp beside him was open and, he was crying. Nicole also noticed the picture he was holding, apparently Nicole couldn’t see who were or was in the picture because of the gloominess. ”Who’s there?!” Mr. Snob noticed that someone was watching him. Nicole panicked and hurriedly ran to her room, leaving a hanker chief in front of the door. Mr. Snob picked up the hanker chief and he saw an “NJ” embroidery, thinking of who it was, he just returned to his room.

Nicole had a sleepless night, she kept thinking of why Mr. Snob was crying. She didn’t realize that her hanker chief had fallen. While Mr. Snob had decided to invigorate his old life…^__^

Chemistry of Love: Chapter 2 part A "Hmp!"

Chapter 2: part A "Hmp!"

“WELCOME FRESHMEN!!!” a banner placed at the frontage of Seoul university was the first thing that Nicole saw as she was about to start her college life.

“Good luck Nicole! You can do it! Aja! ;-)” This was the SMS message Nicole received from Ericka. “Oh how thoughtful” Nicole smiled, and suddenly a sound of a rushing car was heard from behind. Nicole looked behind, and saw a guy wearing cool sun glasses, khaki jacket over a maroon turtle neck shirt paired with khaki pants came out of a red Ferrari car. Most girls were in awe at the ‘airy’ guy, but Nicole was not impressed with the guy. She doesn’t like guys who are too confident about themselves. The guy just passed by, but when he came by Nicole, he looked at her and smiled. Nicole was shocked and at the same time puzzled. “Who’s he? Why did he smile at me?” these were the questions that run in Nicole’s head. “Ah! Whatever!” Nicole just walked to her designated class room.

As Nicole sat down on a seat, she saw the guy at the other end of the room. “He’s cute right?” Nicole’s seat mate asked her. “What do you think? He’s such a hunk!” “Uh, he looks fine to me” “Aw! Come on! He’s very popular, don’t you know? He’s the son of a big business tycoon. By the way, my name is Cielo, you are?” Cielo offered a hand to Nicole, and Nicole gave hers, “Nice to meet you Cielo, my name is Nicole Jin. You said he’s popular, right? That’s why he acts like one” “Well, you have a point there, he’s…” Cielo stopped in the middle of her statement when the guy came towards their seat. “Hi chick! Let me in introduce myself, my name is Warren Kim, son of business tycoon Han Kim, and you are?” when Nicole was about to answer Warren, the dean entered the room and everyone took their seats.

“Good morning and welcome freshmen! I am your dean, Allan Kyo, just call me Sir Allan. I expect that all of you are mature enough to prioritize you studies, you’re not in your high school days now. This is a totally different stage in your life. Now, your subject professors will introduce themselves. Good day and college years ahead.” And then a demure looking woman took Allan’s place “Good day freshmen! I will be your professor for Math. My name is Judith Young, just call me Miss Young. I’ll be meeting up with you later for your overview at our activities for this semester, I’ll also further discuss my regulations and expectations in my class. Is that clear?” “Yes Miss Young” the students answered. “Fine, see you again later, 10:00 am at the math building, room 1A. I won’t accept late comers”. “She’s strict, I bet that’s why she’s still single” Cielo whispered to Nicole, and Nicole gave a warning look at Cielo because she noticed that Judith was looking at them. “I won’t spoil gossips in my class” Judith said before she left her place, she was referring to Cielo and Nicole. Warren also noticed to whom Judith was referring to, so he looked at Nicole and smiled. Nicole became annoyed at the ‘overconfidence’ of Warren, so she pocked out her tongue to Warren. Warren became more attracted to Nicole. This was the first time that a girl didn’t flirt on him.And then the other professors introduced themselves, but one professor was not present. “Class, you’ll probably meet your chemistry professor tomorrow. We’ll not be having a get-to-know session in our class, because I want you students be the ones to interact with your fellow students. So, class dismissed, you may have your break now. Don’t forget your class with Miss Young at 10:00 am.” Allan discharged the students.

Nicole and Cielo were eating together on the school grounds, when Warren came to Nicole again. “Won’t you mind if I eat with you? What’s your name again?” and Cielo answered “Ah, my name is Cielo Yee, 20 years of age, birthday February 5, 1985, height 5’3, weight 45 kg, status single…” “Sorry, but I was not asking you, I’m asking the cute girl beside you” Warren said rakishly, Cielo was embarrassed. Nicole became more annoyed with Warren and she started yelling at him “You’re such an arrogant person! How could you be like this to girls?! Is that the kind of man girls crave for?! Don’t act like that just because you’re rich and popular! Now, speak up! Defend yourself!” Warren became speechless of Nicole’s sermon. “Hmp! Come along now Cielo, there’s no reason for talking to this jerk again!” Nicole pulled Cielo “But Nicole!” “No buts Cielo! Let’s go!” Nicole and Cielo left Warren. “Nicole ei?” Warren finally knew Nicole’s name...^__^

Chapter 2: part B "Hmp!"

In the teacher’s lounge…

“Oh where could Kenneth be?! I cannot contact him, his phone is out of coverage.” Allan was worried, because Kenneth just confirmed his answer last night. Now, he’s no where to be found. “Up to now you’re not yet used with Kenneth. Maybe he’s just taking a day long stroll to freshen up his mind. He’ll keep his word, I know” Judith calmed Allan down. Abruptly Judith’s phone rang, it was Kenneth. “Hello…Kenneth! Why didn’t you come on the first day of school? Allan is worrying dead, you should see his face right now…So when will you come?...Ok, tomorrow? Be sure to come here on time, you know I don’t like late comers…Yes…Yes…So, See you then, bye.” Judith folded her phone after speaking to Kenneth, the conversation left a smile on Judith’s face. “Tsk, tsk, tsk, so you still like him?” Allan asked Judith “Oh Allan, past is past!” “Ok fine!” and Allan left Judith alone in the room. Judith again smiled as she remembered her past with Kenneth. Kenneth was Judith’s first love. They were classmates during high school. And during those times, Judith never had the strength to profess her real feelings for Kenneth. Kenneth treated Judith as his sister, but little did he know that Judith wanted more than friends.

In Judith’s math class…

“To start my lesson, I would first like to state my rules and regulations so that you’ll know how you will act in my class. First of all, I don’t like late comers. Second, submit all your requirements on time. Third, no talking in my class unless I tell you to do so…” “Uh, this will take forever” Cielo complained to Nicole. Nicole just looked at Cielo, trying to remind her that their teacher just said no talking without her permission. “Since you didn’t had the chance to introduce yourselves a while ago, I’m giving you this time, before we proceed to our over view. So who goes first?” Judith asked, then Warren raised his arm “I’ll go first Miss Young!”. Most of the girls in the room were making “flirts” out of themselves while Nicole again was irritated at the ‘over confident’ personality of Warren. “Hello to all! I expect that majority in this room knows me all ready. But then, I will still introduce myself for the sake of a cute girl I just met this morning (he was referring to Nicole)…My name is Warren Kim, son and heir of Han Kim, owner of Kim Realties, 21 years of age. My interests, car racing, ice hockey, and girls” Warren grinned, and the girls giggled in hearing Warren’s interests. “If anyone of you wants to ask me a question, just raise your hand”, Warren started a question-and-answer session. Cielo wanted to raise her hand, but Nicole stopped her. “Mr. Kim, may I remind you that this is not a talk show, this is a class. You may now return to your seat Mr. Kim.” Judith reminded Warren, and so Warren went back to his seat which is located at the first row. Then he looked back to where Nicole was and he winked at her. “Okay, next?” No one volunteered so Judith just looked in her attendance book to select the next one. “Go in front, Ms. Nicole Jin”. And so, Nicole stood up and walked towards the front. She faced her classmates with her unique sunny smile “Good morning new classmates, I am Nicole Jin. 20 years of age, I graduated high school in my home province in Incheon. My interests, reading, cooking, hmm…and smiling. I look forward on being friends with all of you. Thank you” Nicole bowed and returned to her seat.

After the long first day of school, Nicole is ready to go home. While walking through the side walk, Warren stopped his car beside Nicole. “Hey Nicole, right? Hitch in, it’s dangerous to walk alone at this time of night.” Warren offered “No thank you Mr. Kim, I can take care of myself.” “How snobbish, I thought you want to be friends with all of your classmates?” “Hmp! Sorry, I forgot to say that I don’t want to be friends with arrogant people!” Nicole walked faster, leaving Warren. “One day, you’ll fall fro me Nicole Jin, I will assure that.”.

While walking home Nicole saw the poster of the new movie showed in the mall. She was tempted by the movie, because the main actress was her idol, Chae Rim. So, Nicole decided to watch the movie. The film ended around 10:00, and it’s really dark. Nicole pretended to be brave and started walking since the apartment building is just nearby. And as Nicole was walking through the dark alleyway, two goons blocked her way. “Hey miss, give us all your belongings if you still want to see the sunrise.” Nicole was shocked, because in their province these kinds of incidents only happen once in a blue moon, and she could only see it in the television or in the movies. Nicole became speechless, and it made the goons angry. “Hey? Aren’t you going to give us your stuffs? Hurry!” And still, Nicole didn’t speak “Bro, I think this girl needs a lecture, hey come here I’ll give you a smack!” The other goon pulled Nicole’s arms, this urgently gave Nicole the signal to fight over and defend herself. “Let me go!” Nicole pulled back her arm “Hey, little miss is now speaking! Come here to papa, I’ll give a reward” Then the two goons started harassing Nicole.

Afterward, Kenneth was walking by the same alleyway and he heard the commotion. “Hey bro, what do you think you’re doing?” Kenneth tapped one of the goons from behind, then the goon looked back and Kenneth punched the goon’s face. “And who do you think you are?!” the other goon was alarmed seeing his partner with a bleeding face. “Get lost! If I’d ever see you again roaming around, you will get more than that! GO!” then the goons ran as fast as they could. Kenneth approached Nicole “Are you okay?”, Nicole fixed herself before facing Kenneth “Hmp! Those scaredy cats! By the way, thank you…” before finishing her statement Nicole faced Kenneth and she was astounded by what she saw. What or who could it be? ^__^

Chapter 3 part A: "My obba"

“You?!” Nicole’s eyes widened, both of them were surprised with each other. “Aren’t you the new tenant beside my unit?!” Now, it’s revealed that Kenneth Yin and Mr. Snob are just one. “Yes, oh before I forget, thank you very much. How can I ever give back the favor?” Nicole bowed. “Hmmm…soju and noodles would be fine. Will you?” Kenneth suggested. “Well then, come it’s my treat.” Nicole agreed even though she only has a thousand won in her wallet..

In the noodle stand…
Nicole was quiet and she was just looking at Kenneth. And Kenneth noticed this “So, why are you here in Seoul?” Kenneth asked, so that Nicole will speak up. “I’m studying Food Technology in Seoul University” “I see, you know, you shouldn’t be walking alone at this time. Don’t you have a boyfriend to send you home?” Nicole blushed upon having an eye contact with Kenneth, she bent down her head “None yet, and I still don’t plan to have one. I must focus in my studies in able to maintain my scholarship.” “Oh so you’re a scholar, nice to hear that. Keep it on, so you would be able to attain your dreams, not like me.” Kenneth frowned in saying the last three words. “Why sir?”, Nicole became curious “Uh, nothing, just forget it” Kenneth tried to hide his emotions, but it could still be seen in his lovely eyes. “Cheer up sir! If you’ll continue to frown your wrinkles will not vanish!” Nicole tried to cheer Kenneth up, and she succeeded, Kenneth finally smiled. “Oh such a lovely smile” Nicole thought. ”You’re one cheerful girl, what’s your name? I forgot to ask” “Nicole Jin, just call me Nicole, you sir?” “Aish, Nicole don’t call me sir, I feel so old when I’m addressed like that. Just call me Kenneth, Kenneth Yin. Or better yet Obba Keneth, so that there would be significance between our age, okay?” Nicole smiled and replied “Yes Obba Kenneth”. Then their eyes met and both smiled.

Upon reaching the apartment, Kenneth and Nicole bade good bye to each other. Nicole closed the door and leaned back “He’s not snobbish after all” Nicole again smiled and blushed in remembering their eye contact. In the other room, Kenneth was in his kitchen, getting water from the refrigerator when he saw the hanker chief he picked up in front of his door. He then thought that it might be Nicole’s.

“Good morning world!” Nicole shouted as she opened her window to breathe the cool air of the morning. While in Kenneth’s room, he was fixing himself to go to the university. He was a bit nervous, because it has been three years since he last taught.

Nicole went out of her room and met Ericka “Hey, how was your first day in the university?” Ericka waved to Nicole “Fine, but I have this arrogant classmate. He thinks he’s the coolest guy.” “Really? Is he cute?” “Not at all! He looks like a jerk!” “Oh, so you think Mr. Snob is better looking than him?” Nicole instantly answered “Yes”, but then she realized that she shouldn’t have said it. ”In fairness Ericka, Obba Kenneth is not really a snob after all” “Huh? What did you call him? Obba Kenneth? And when did you start calling him ‘obba Kenneth’?” “Just last night, he saved me from two goons.” Ericka was surprised with what happened to Nicole last night. “What?! You mean you were blocked by two goons? I told you it’s dangerous walking alone at night! How are you? Were you hurt?” Ericka was starting to panic, but Nicole calmed her down “Calm down, I’m fine Ericka, it was just really a coincidence that those goons were there. Luckily, Obba Kenneth was there to rescue me. I’ll be careful now Ericka, I promise.” “Make it sure Nicole, if not…” Ericka stopped talking upon seeing a sedate looking man, wearing a white polo with a blue neck tie paired with back pants. “Good morning Nicole” the man greeted. Then Nicole turned to face the man, “Obba Kenneth is that you?!” “Yes, it’s me” Kenneth smiled. Nicole smiled too in seeing a better looking Kenneth, he’s not a gangster looking man anymore, now he’s a clean and demure looking man. “By the way, this is Ericka, I believe you all ready know her because she’s been staying here for more than a year.” Ericka bowed and Kenneth returned the bow. “Well then, I got to go now. I have a job to do. See you later girls” Kenneth left Nicole and Ericka. Ericka looked at Nicole with a big smile “Did you see that?!” “I told you!” Nicole replied, then both giggled.

In the teacher’s lounge
“Good morning Allan”, Allan heard a familiar voice from behind and when he turned back, he was delighted to see Kenneth. “Oh Kenneth! At last you made up your mind! Welcome back to Seoul University! I see you’re back to your real image my boy!” “I just thought that nothing will be the same if I would just mock around. Once again, I owe it to you Allan, thank you very much.” Kenneth and Allan hugged, as if they haven’t seen each other for years. Subsequently, Judith entered the room, and when she caught a sight of Kenneth, she smiled “Kenneth! I knew you would come! It’s been a long time! Good to have you back!” Kenneth then faced Judith “I know, I missed you! Come here and I’ll give you a hug!” And so, Judith hugged Kenneth. Kenneth was so happy to be with his real friends. “Hey, you have a class within fifteen minutes. Are you ready?” Judith asked Kenneth “Never been ready! After three years, I’ll again be a professor. I really missed teaching.” Then Allan butted in “Really? I thought you missed us, that’s why you came back.” The three of them laughed...^__^

Chapter 3 part B: "My obba"

In room A-1…
“Good morning Nicole! It’s such a very beautiful morning, right?” Warren gave a bouquet of red roses to Nicole, but she refused to take it “It’s so sweet of you to bother Mr. Kim, but I can’t accept it, sorry.” “Hey, do you know how much these roses are? It’s more expensive than your allowance!” Nicole was intimidated with Warren’s words so she started yelling again “You bastard! You jerk! Yes, your roses might be expensive, but don’t ever intimidate my allowance, for my parents work hard just to give me my allowance!” Nicole took the roses from Warren and slapped in on his face. Everybody in the room witnessed what happened, and they were all shocked and speechless, how could Warren Kim be answered like this? “Now, what’s your say Mr. Kim?!” After taking off the petals from his face, Warren looked at Nicole intensely “Ms. Jin, remember this day, for now on I will do everything to get you fall for me!” Nicole went angrier with Warren’s vow. Everybody started making ‘mushy’ sounds. “Stop it guys! Ok, I’m taking you in a challenge Mr. Kim, if you’ll be able to make me fall for you, then…” “Then we’ll be engaged immediately, deal?” Warren made the agreement, Nicole thought hard with Warren’s condition “Okay, I agree, so it’s a deal Mr. Kim?” “A deal Ms. Jin” Warren extended his hand to Nicole, and Nicole extended hers too, in agreeing to the deal. Both looked at each other’s eyes challengingly. Suddenly, Allan went inside the room, he saw that Nicole and Warren were the center of attention. “Ms. Jin, Mr. Kim, what’s the happening?” Allan asked the two “Oh nothing sir” then both resided to their seats, but they were still looking at each other.

“Now, let’s start the class. As I told you yesterday, you will meet your chemistry professor today. I now introduce to you your chemistry professor”. The door opened, and a demure, clean looking man entered the room, he then greeted the class “Good Morning freshmen, I am your chemistry professor, Kenneth Yin, call me Sir Kenneth.” Nicole couldn’t believe her eyes, it was Kenneth/ (former) Mr. Snob! He’s her chemistry professor! “Oh my gosh!” Nicole whispered to herself, Cielo noticed Nicole’s expression “Nicole, you know him?” “Yes, he’s my neighbor. I didn’t know that he’s a professor.” Kenneth looked in his attendance book to have a roll call, and when he saw Nicole’s name, he was surprised, oh how could have forgotten that he will be teaching chemistry in the Food Technology department?

Everyone left the room after Kenneth’s class, except for Nicole, she was still fixing up her things. Then Kenneth went back to the room because he forgot something. “Sir Kenneth” Nicole called to Kenneth “Oh Nicole! You’re still here, don’t you have any plans on having your break?” “I still have sir” “Aish, how many times do I have to tell you don’t call me sir?” “But you just said earlier in your class that we students must call you ‘sir’. Have you forgotten?” “Oh yeah, but still, you could call me ‘obba’ when we’re outside the university. I think this is a sign that I’m getting no younger.” Then both laughed. “Won’t you mind if we’ll take snacks together?” Kenneth asked “Why not obba, oh, sir”. Then the two left the room together, and Warren saw them…^__^

To be continued...

“Chemistry of Love”

Written by PENSHOPPE

Characters:
Kenneth Yin
Nicole Jin
Ericka Huh
Warren Kim

Chapter 4: part A "The nerve!!!"

While walking along the corridor, Warren was wondering why Nicole and Kenneth were together. “Do they now each other? Are they relatives, friends or what?”, these were the questions that were boggling in Warren’s mind.

In the cafeteria…

“Oppa, I didn’t know you’re a professor here in the university, why didn’t you tell me?” Nicole asked. “Probably, because it was just this weekend when I decided to return in the university. And, we only had the chance to talk just last night, right?” Kenneth smiled after sipping his coffee. “Oh yeah, how foolish of me, it was just last night.” The sunny smile in Nicole’s face makes Kenneth feel light and young. What’s with Nicole that makes anyone feel comfortable every time he or she is with her? “Oh Nicole, there you are! I’ve been looking around for you!” Cielo approached Nicole. “Take a seat and eat with us” Kenneth offered, “Oh thanks sir, I still haven’t taken my breakfast, that’s why my tummy is grumbling.” Cielo took a seat beside Nicole and started eating Nicole’s sandwich. “Hey! That’s mine!” Nicole protested. Kenneth was so delighted to socialize with youngsters again, after 3 years of oblivion.

Warren then entered the cafeteria, he saw Nicole, Cielo and Kenneth eating together. And so, he came towards their table. “May I eat with you guys?” Warren inquired. Before Nicole could answer no, Kenneth answered yes to Warren’s request. Warren winked at Nicole before sitting beside her, and Kenneth saw this. “It’s good to know that professors here in the university are approachable, right sir?” Warren asked, he was simply trying to find out what’s with Kenneth and Nicole by asking indirect questions. “You’re right Warren, profs here are really nice, so sir can I have piece of your cookie? I’m still hungry” Cielo took a piece of cookie from Kenneth’s plate. Nicole gave Cielo a look which indicates that she should have a little consideration for herself. “Oh sorry Nicole, but I’m hungry. It’s your fault! If we went out the room together, then I wouldn’t be so hungry. By the way, why did it take you so long to get out of the room?” “Um, I was just fixing my things, and…” “and I asked her to take her snacks with me” Kenneth finished Nicole’s sentence. “The two of you are friends sir?” Warren asked in a sterling manner. Kenneth smiled and answered “We’re neighbors Mr. Kim. Her unit is next to mine, is there any problem Mr. Kim?” “Oh nothing, I just wondered why you were together with my girlfriend.” Nicole, Cielo and Kenneth were shocked “Girlfriend?!” Nicole stood up. “Oh Ms. Jin, I thought you told me that you still don’t have a boyfriend?” Kenneth was clarifying the situation, but it went out the opposite way. “Tell me Warren Kim, when did I start to be your girlfriend?!” then Warren stood up “Just this morning honey! Don’t you remember? Ok, I’ll let you remember” Warren went nearer to Nicole, he pulled her into his arms and kissed her! Everyone in the cafeteria was stunned! And when Nicole was finally released from Warren’s arms, she took her drink from the table and spilled it on Warren’s face. This was the second time for the day that Nicole Jin splattered something on Warren Kim’s face. “Now who are you calling ‘honey’?” “Of course, only you honey” Warren cleaned his face with his hanker chief. “Ms. Jin! Mr. Kim! Stop this! Can’t you have a little respect for me? I’m your professor, and you’re quarrelling in front of me!” Kenneth stood up. “Sorry sir” Nicole apologized and ran out of the cafeteria. “Nicole, wait up!” and Cielo poked out her tongue to Warren and ran to follow Nicole.

Nicole went to the school grounds to freshen up. “Oh the nerve of that jerk!” then she suddenly thought of their kiss, she can’t believe that she just had her first kiss! “But this is not the real first kiss Nicole!” she blurted out. “Nicole! Nicole! Are you okay?! Oh I can’t believe he could do that in front of so many people! But you know Nicole, I think he really likes you, no kidding!” “Oh stop it Cielo, if he thinks that I would fall for him with just a kiss, he’s dreaming!” “Um let me ask, was that your first kiss Nicole?” Nicole blushed answering ‘yes’ to Cielo’s question. “Ms. Jin and Mr. Kim, please proceed to my office” Allan called through the university radio. “Oh shocks! What will they do? Will they take back your scholarship? Oh I hope not! I will pray hard Nicole! Promise! I’ll be right here! You can do it! Aja!” Cielo was worried and began to be exaggerate again. “Don’t be pessimistic Cielo, I’ll take care of it. But do pray for me and keep your fingers crossed” “Aye aye Nicole!” Cielo saluted and Nicole left.

Warren and Nicole met in front of the door of Allan’s office. Even if they don’t speak, their emotions could be clearly seen in their eyes, both fiery. “So explain to me what happened in the cafeteria” Allan started the session. “Uh…My girlfriend and I just have a quarrel in the cafeteria sir, sorry about that” Warren answered, he was still insisting himself being the boyfriend of Nicole. And knowing the outspoken Nicole, “I ask pardon, Sir Allan, he’s not my boyfriend! He’s just making it up. I spilled soda on him because he kissed me without my permission!” “Ok fine, I admit it, she’s not YET my girlfriend, and I kissed her without her permission, I should be the one to be blamed, I will accept all consequences.” “Good thing that you admitted your fault Mr. Kim, as for your consequence, I should first meet with your parents. When could they come?” Warren suddenly looked sad “They’re not in the country sir, it has been a month since I last saw them.” Nicole suddenly felt bad for Warren, maybe that’s why he’s been acting like that. “Okay, just let me know when they arrive. As of now, the two of you could go. Make sure that you would not make any commotion again. Do I get myself cleared?” “Yes sir” “You could go now, you’re all ready late for your next subject” the two left the room. “I now understand why…” Nicole said before she headed off. “Understand?” Warren was puzzled with Nicole’s words...^__^

Chapter 4: part B "The nerve!!!"

After the long day of school, Nicole was walking along the corridor and she met Kenneth. “I’m terribly sorry for what happened this morning sir. I didn’t mean to do it, but it’s his fault.” Nicole bowed as an apology. “That issue was already settled. Next time, you should control yourself, so you wouldn’t get into trouble. Okay?” “Okay sir” “Hey it’s not school hours anymore, you could call me obba again” Nicole smiled “Yes obba”. “Good...are you going straight home now Nicole?” “Yes obba, I have to do some advance readings, why?” “Have you forgotten my advice that you should not walk in the streets alone?” “No I still remember obba, but it’s just 5:30! When I’m still in my province, going home at 7:00 is not dangerous.” “Incheon is different from Seoul Nicole, it is more peril here. Oh well, since I’m not in the mood of doing an overtime I’ll go with you. I’ll just get my things in the teacher lounge”.

When the two reached the teacher’s lounge, they saw Judith, she was having an overtime. “Hey still here? You should lessen your workaholic attitude, how will you be able to find a man to marry you?” Kenneth joked Judith “I don’t need to find a man who will marry me Kenneth, in fact I have a lot of suitors!” Then she noticed Nicole “Oh, good afternoon Miss Young” Nicole greeted, and Judith just smiled back. “You’re with her?” Judith asked “Oh yes, she’s my neighbor, she’s also your student right?” “Isn’t she the one who made a scene in the cafeteria this morning?” Judith superciliously inquired. Kenneth and Nicole just kept quiet. “We’ll be going now, don’t over use your energy Judith, and be careful on driving back home.” Kenneth reminded “I know, good bye.” And the two left Judith in the teacher’s lounge. Judith then took a deep sigh “When will I have the courage to confess you my love?” she thought.

While walking home, Nicole was in a deep thought. “Hey, you’re so quiet. Is there something wrong? If it’s just because of what Judith said, forget it, she’s really like that.” Kenneth was trying to break the ice. “Well, I wasn’t really thinking of that, I was thinking about…Uh forget it! It’s senseless.” Nicole didn’t spill out that she was thinking of Warren’s condition. He’s very pitiful, she thought. “Oh, so you were thinking of Mr. Kim, I’m I correct?” Kenneth guessed it right “Oh okay, you got me obba. Yes, I was thinking of him, he’s pitiful.” “Pitiful? How would he be pitiful, he’s rich, popular and I must say, handsome too” “As I understand, he’s acting like a geek, so he could get the attention of his parents. That’s why he’s pitiful.” “Oh, I didn’t know you’re good in understanding one’s feelings Nicole. Maybe you could explain to me what is the reason why I returned back to the University?” “Hey I’m not a psychologist! You should know the reason, because it was your decision.” Kenneth smiled, Nicole never failed to bring a smile to his face. “Fine, maybe you should take a part time job of being a consultant.” “Consultant for what?” “For the feelings, you will earn big there” “Well, that’s a good idea, I’ll think about that”. Suddenly the wind blew hard, “Oh!” Nicole shouted. “What’s wrong Nicole?” Kenneth was worried, what might have happened to Nicole? “Something went inside my eyes!” “Oh, come” then Kenneth went near to Nicole and blew at her eyes. “Oh thank you very much obba”, Nicole thanked Kenneth, and then their eyes met, there was something different in their eyes. It has been more than a minute before they stopped looking at each other’s eyes intimately. Nicole didn’t realize that she blushed. After that, all the way back to the apartment building they were not speaking to each other. They were baffled, why suddenly they became shy to talk. In front of their doors, they finally spoke, but just to bid good bye.

In the Kim’s residence…

Warren was drinking red wine while watching television, and suddenly his phone rang. “Hello?...Oh mom! I miss you, when will you and dad be coming back?...Oh , so you still have to extend for a month…I understand…School? This was the second day, and it went out quite well…Okay mom, just call me again, take care and I love you both.” And Warren hanged up the phone. Then he saw Nicole’s picture in his cell phone. He never thought that he would suddenly become a paparazzi. He took pictures of Nicole, and made these pictures his wallpaper and screen saver. “It’s just the second day of school Nicole Jin, I still have four years to make you fall in love with me.” Warren said, while looking at Nicole’s pictures.

That night in Kenneth’s apartment unit…

Kenneth was having a dream…

”Honey, where are you going? Mae-mae, tell daddy where you’re going.” Kenneth was wondering where his wife and daughter will go. “Daddy we’re just visiting you, mommy and I miss you so much” Mae-mae, Kenneth’s daughter sweetly answered. “Honey, it’s good to know that you’re back to your real self, I’m happy for you. You know, it’s also the right time for you to find a new woman, who will love you and be there for you.” Tim-hae, Kenneth’s wife said “A new woman? But Tim-hae, you’re the only one. And why would I find a new one, if you’re here with me?” Kenneth was confused. “Bye, bye daddy!” Mae-mae waved her small hand and they sudenly vanished. “Tim-hae, Mae-mae! Where are you?!” Kenneth was worried “Don’t be sad Kenneth, I’m here”, a familiar voice was heard from behind. Kenneth looked back and saw a figure of a woman, he cannot clearly see the face of the woman. It was so blur. And Kenneth woke up. “It was just a dream” Kenneth whispered, and he took a picture of his wife and daughter from his desk. How he missed them. But who was the woman in his dreams?...^__^

To be continued...
“Chemistry of Love”

Written by PENSHOPPE
Characters:
Kenneth Yin
Nicole Jin
Ericka Huh
Warren Kim

Chapter 5 part A: "Is it destiny?!"

“Good morning obba! Have you taken your breakfast?” Nicole greeted Kenneth, she just came from a coffee shop nearby. “Good morning to you too Nicole, hmm.. the aroma of that coffee tempts me. Won’t you mind if you accompany me to the coffee shop? If it’s not a bother to you, besides it still early. Will you?” “Why not obba? My first class will still be at 10:00 am”.

In the coffee shop…

The two were bursting with laughter. “Oh that joke cracked me down! I didn’t know you’re naughty obba! It’s not obvious with you looks” “My looks? Hey are you telling me that only teenagers could joke around?” “Hehe, it’s not that obba. What I mean is, your serious look. It’s not obvious that you like to joke around.” “Oh, my serious look? If you’d just know me three to five years back, you will see a very different me.” “Oh really obba? Can you demonstrate me a look from the past?” Then suddenly Nicole saw a spark in Kenneth’s eyes and smile, “Is this the look he was saying? Oh how gorgeous” Nicole thought. Kenneth noticed that Nicole suddenly became speechless “Hey! Don’t over adore my looks! I might go to jail!” “Hey! Don’t be over confident obba! Don’t be like…” all of a sudden, Nicole stirred her hot coffee and it spilled on her. “Nicole!” Kenneth went beside Nicole, he was so worried. Then the waitress assisted Nicole to the comfort room. “Are you okay Nicole?” Kenneth was still worried when Nicole came back. “Feeling better now, oh that was so hot, good thing my clothe was thick and the coffee didn’t burn out my skin” “You should be extra careful Nicole, you’re making me dead worried” Nicole was a bit surprised “Dead worried? You don’t have to obba, actually…Ahhh!!!” Nicole tripped on the carpet and she fell on Kenneth’s arms. For the second time, they looked at each other’s eyes intimately. Nicole thought of the predicament they’re into, and she urgently stood up “Oh, I now know that I’m a big jinx. Look, for this morning, I was spilled with hot coffee and I tripped in a public place. What about this afternoon? What might happen to me next?” Kenneth smiled and looked at his watch “Oh, no one knows. Well, time’s so fast, it’ all ready 8:45, you still have to get ready for your first class.” “Oh, time really runs fast…When you’re having fun” Nicole just whispered her last phrase.

Seoul University…

Nicole was walking towards the door of her classroom, and when she opened the door, she was shocked because party pops started popping and confetti flew around the room. Her classmates were making ‘mushy’ sounds again, Nicole instantly knew it’s Warren’s idea. “What is he up to again?” She thought. Speaking of Warren, he then went to Nicole, he offered her a big cake with a dedication “I’M SORRY!!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!”. Nicole was speechless, she didn’t know how to react to Warren’s move. “So Nicole, will you forgive me?”Warren asked, and everyone made the mushy sounds louder, it was making Nicole more tensed. Good thing, the professor came in, and everyone retreated to their seats.

Why is the classroom like this? The professor asked, and everybody pointed at Warren. “Mr. Kim, it’s you again?” “Yes, sir. I hope you didn’t mind. I’ll be the one to clean up the mess, I promise.”. “Whoa! What did Warren eat that he started acting weird?” Nicole was surprised. “Oh well, after dismissal you should clean the room Mr. Kim.”.

After their class, Warren was left and he started fixing up the room. Then Nicole returned to the room because she forgot some notes. “Is this what you’re looking for?” Warren was holding Nicole’s notes. Nicole approached Warren and took her notes “Thanks are you done fixing up the room? Well, it’s your fault so you must face the consequences” “Apparently, it’s not my fault, it’s actually your fault.” “And why did it become my fault?” “I did it to surprise you, it’s for you.” “Did I tell you to surprise me?!” Nicole’s head was getting hot again “Hey, are we getting into a fight again? I all ready said sorry right?!” Warren was trying to calm Nicole down “But you’re still insisting that it’s my fault” Nicole looked like a child who was reasoning, this made Warren smile. “Hey, what are you smiling at? Are you getting nuts?” “Yes, I’m getting nuts because of you!” Warren took the confetti he has collected and threw it at Nicole. Surprisingly, Nicole didn’t react violently, in the contrary she started laughing and she also took some confetti and threw it on Warren. It looks like they’re playing and are starting to get close. Simply, Warren wrapped his arms around Nicole. “Hey! What are you doing?!” Nicole was alerted “Oops, sorry, I was just a little carried away.” “Really? Oh, I should go to my next class now. How about you? When’s your next class? You might be late now” “Oh, how sweet of you Nicole to think of me! Hmm… As I observed, you are starting to fall for me!” “Of course not! Hey, we know each other for only a month! Don’t you think that’s too short for someone to fall in love?” “For me, it’s possible, how will you explain what happened to me? I fell in love with you the very first time I saw you.” “Oh, come on!” Then Nicole left Warren...^__^
Chapter 5 part B: "Is it destiny?!"

After the long day of school, everyone was off to have some fun. It was a Friday, and so the students are able to hang around.

“Ericka, let’s meet in front of the park. I’ll be waiting!” Ericka was walking while reading Nicole’s SMS message to her, and suddenly she heard a loud horn. She didn’t realize that she was in the middle of the road. “Hey, are you getting yourself killed?” A man wearing blue Lacoste polo paired with khaki pants went out of the red Ferrari car. “Oh, I’m so sorry sir. I wasn’t looking were I was going. I’m terribly sorry sir.” Ericka bowed. “Okay, next time look where you’re going” The man went back to his car. “Oh, he’s so cute!” Ericka saw sparks in the man. “Could he be the ‘one’?” She thought.

“Sorry, I’m late” Ericka apologized to Nicole. “Yes, you’re ten minutes late, and as punishment, you should treat me dinner.” “Oh, your too much, I would not be late if not for the guy I met.” “A guy?” “Yes, a guy, a very gorgeous guy. Okay, the story is, I was reading your SMS message to me then I didn’t realize that I was standing in the middle of the road, then this car horned me and the guy came out. I saw sparks on him, and I think he’s the ‘one’!”. “Don’t be silly Ericka! How would you know, if it was the first time you met?” “Nicole, don’t you believe in ‘Love at first sight?” “Oh, here we go again! Let’s just eat, maybe you’re hungry. I told you not to skip meals.”.

In a restaurant…

“Hey, I told you to treat me dinner but, I didn’t tell you to bring me in this fancy restaurant. The food here is expensive.” Nicole was so amazed with the ambiance of the restaurant, never in her life that she had the chance to eat in a very fancy restaurant. “Oh, it’s okay Nicole. I really want to spend this night in a very unique way, for I met him at last.” Ericka was so inspired because of the guy, she was acting like she’s on cloud 9. “Oh gosh, you were really stricken by Cupid! Well, at least I get the chance to eat in this kind of restaurant because that guy, hehe.” Coincidence, Warren entered the restaurant, and he saw Nicole. “Hey Nicole! Good to see you here!” he approached her. ”Oh Warren! What a coincidence that we meet here.” Nicole greeted “That voice, sounds familiar” Ericka thought, and when she turned around to see who was Nicole talking to, her eyes got big, it was HIM!!! Warren saw Ericka, and he was also surprised. “You two know each other?” Nicole asked “She was the girl who was standing in the middle of the street. I didn’t know you know her. Oh it’s really destiny that things are linking between the both of us, am I right Nicole?” “Uh, honestly, I don’t know Warren. Oh, by the way, Ericka this is Warren and Warren, this is Ericka.” Oh no! What have they got into?! Warren was the guy Ericka was referring, she likes him, but he likes Nicole! “Won’t you mind if I eat with the two of you?” “Oh sure, our pleasure” Ericka replied. All the time they were eating, Ericka couldn’t help but adore Warren. Her eyes were glued to Warren. Good thing, Warren didn’t notice it because his eyes were glued to Nicole. “I’ll send you girls home” Warren offered “No need Warren, we—“ “Oh, thank you very much Warren!” Ericka butted in.

In front of the apartment building…

“Thank you very much for the ride Warren! Oh, can I get your cell phone number?” Ericka was so ecstatic. “You’re welcome. About my number, I’ll just send it to Nicole and just get it from her, okay?” “You know my number?” Nicole asked “Of course! I have my resources! Good night ladies!” Warren winked at Nicole and he left. “Oh he’s so gorgeous Nicole! Just give me his number when he sends a message to you. Okay, good night Nicole!” Ericka went to her unit.

In Nicole’s unit…

“Oh! Why is it like this?! Why him?! Why her?! What am I going to do?!” Nicole sighed, she was standing in her balcony. “What’s the problem Nicole?” Kenneth asked, his balcony was next to Nicole’s. “Oh obba, I didn’t know you’re there. Have you heard what I said?” “You’re so noisy, I couldn’t go to sleep, so I decided to go here and know what’s going on with you and why are you so noisy.” But in Kenneth’s mind, he really intended to go to the balcony to talk to Nicole, he feels really happy every time they talk. “Oh, I’m sorry to disturb you. It’s because of…Argghh! Why is there destiny?! I really don’t like it!” Nicole was so troubled, she almost went into tantrums “Calm down Nicole! You know, destiny is destiny, what will happen, will happen, you couldn’t stop it. So, what happened?” “Obba, what will you do if your close friend likes this person, but this person likes you?” “Hmm…that’s a hard question…Gee…I don’t know…Well it depends if you like that person.” “But if you don’t like that person?” “Well, if I’m in that case, probably I’ll make them a couple.” “Whoa! Good idea! That’s right! Oh you’re so smart obba! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Good night obba!” Then Nicole gave Kenneth a flying kiss and she went back into her room. “Why are you so cute and adorable Nicole?” Kenneth said after Nicole left him. Nicole never fails to live a smile in Kenneth’s face.

In Ericka’s unit…

“So Warren likes Nicole, hmm… Sounds interesting…I will get him from you Nicole, if it’s the last thing I do” Ericka was thinking while smoking. Her undesirable plans could be seen in her eyes. What is she up to?...^__^

To be continued...