Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: ATV or TVB

mine here is chinese.. no matter TVB or ATV... all change to chinese!!! coz here is an chinese entertainment wat.. haha
    My idol: Jay Chou, JJ Lin, Junyang, Jae Hee, Julian Cheung, Jimmy Lin, Mike He, Kingone Wang, Raymond Lam, Tank, Hyun Bin.

and i don quite like ATV either.. me personally PREFER TVB!!!!!
    My idol: Jay Chou, JJ Lin, Junyang, Jae Hee, Julian Cheung, Jimmy Lin, Mike He, Kingone Wang, Raymond Lam, Tank, Hyun Bin.

I don't hate ATV. I think they are deeper than TVB, but TVB has better dialogue (of course, they tend to reuse the same cliche in all the shows). I guess it depends on the series and actors. I think the ATV actors are more likeable than the current TVB actors. All the TVB actors I like have moved away to film chinese shows, which is sad for TVB.

In conclusion, ATV and TVB are better than Korean and Taiwanese shows. lol
    • ATV: Deep storyline but low budget.
      TVB: Good, lesson-filled dialogue and clothes and hair but shallow and predictable storyline. Annoying new actors that can't act along w/ repetitive quotes that have been recycled over and over again in all series. Many times have rushed endings
      Taiwanese: Very touching but toooo sappy, dragging and boring; many times, wuxia clothes are ugly!
      Chinese: The wuxia have weird clothes that looks more sci-fi than ancient Chinese; recent shows remind one of Japanese mangas; but shows are fluffy and fun to watch; however lack deepness and have rush endings
      Korean: Almost everyone has puffy cheeks; shows are long and draggy; very boring; need better clothes and make-up; need better-looking actors; need better stories and dialogue.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Thumbs down Why I hate ATV

Why ATV is shit:

1) Their script is so bad that they use the same stuff again and again.
    Eg : I really love Mum ...the series just shown is "Cross border Daddy"!!
    How uncreative..so what will the next series be?? My great Grandfather or Greatgrandmother!!

2) Secondly the charactors and storyline is pathetic.. there is alway a charactor that someone must feel sorry for..eg a girl who is forced to be a chicken..or somebody must get raped..Come on get real man!!!

3) There is too much obvious revenge and hate in the storyline which make it too stupid for the 20th century. Its meant to be well hidden like in the TVB series "Gum Ji Yuk Yip" and the film "Mo gan doll"

4) They use the same old combination and the same actresses in everyseries!!

5) Their wardrobe is shit..and make up is shit!!

I haven't seen enough ATV series to make a conclusion but the ones I've seen are really good (in my opinion).

Default ATV

i have some serious flaws in filming techniques/ acting techniques in ATV shows .. i am pleased that some ATV artists have defected over to TVB like stephen au, annie man, sunny chan along with many others..
    even those that left TVB for ATV will/have gone back to the "family" home..
    Plus dont forget that some stars of today like stephen chow or tony leung started off in TVB by enrolling in those acting classes.. so its TVB which kinda gave the support to make these people so famous today...

to be honest, i think some old shows like in the days of RTV were better than the pathetic ATV shows today..

a true TVB 100000000000000% supporter
    Last edited by teddybear; 02-10-05 at 06:27 PM.

I don't hate ATV or any other TV network.

Favor healthy competition instead of monopoly. I'll give fair chance to both TV stations and watch both productions. It doesn't benefit any of us to watch only one station because how would TVB improve otherwise? As I see it, TVB and ATV both come out with good and lousy productions. Why waste energy discriminating against a TV network that provides service? If they provide good entertainment, I'll support it.

Quote Originally Posted by supertvfan
    Why ATV is shit:

1) Their script is so bad that they use the same stuff again and again.
    Eg : I really love Mum ...the series just shown is "Cross border Daddy"!!
    How uncreative..so what will the next series be?? My great Grandfather or Greatgrandmother!!

2) Secondly the charactors and storyline is pathetic.. there is alway a charactor that someone must feel sorry for..eg a girl who is forced to be a chicken..or somebody must get raped..Come on get real man!!!

3) There is too much obvious revenge and hate in the storyline which make it too stupid for the 20th century. Its meant to be well hidden like in the TVB series "Gum Ji Yuk Yip" and the film "Mo gan doll"

4) They use the same old combination and the same actresses in everyseries!!

5) Their wardrobe is shit..and make up is shit!!
    Now this is plain flaming. They arent as good as the TVB network because people tend to like TVB series because;
    A)They have a REALLY good rep.
    B)As you said, they dont repeat (or atleast alot)

BUT, they do have a bad side. TVB's plots are WAY too predictable. My folks can guess what happens next fairly easily, because viewers can practically read the script!

ATV did have some memorable shows. The I love Momma (Crude translation) was really good and one of the best from ATV. My Date with a Vampire 1,2 (3 was bad IMO) and Thunder Cop.

See, ATV isnt as rich as TVB because its all linked. They dont get good ratings, they waste their budget. Waste their budget, they have no good wardrobe. They also have not much actresses, because most went ot TVB.

A last thought is, when I went to China and HK during the summer of 2004, at that time, they were airing I love Momma and the sounds were well balanced. In USA, where I rented tapes, it WAS very bad. The music was louder than the actors' speech, but in HK and China, it's quality was equal to TVB's.
    "Believe and it will happen, Do not, and it wont. Never give up on hope, because there will always be miracles for those who believe"

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    i have some serious flaws in filming techniques/ acting techniques in ATV shows .. i am pleased that some ATV artists have defected over to TVB like stephen au, annie man, sunny chan along with many others..
    even those that left TVB for ATV will/have gone back to the "family" home..
    Plus dont forget that some stars of today like stephen chow or tony leung started off in TVB by enrolling in those acting classes.. so its TVB which kinda gave the support to make these people so famous today...
    Well, the opposite can be say for actors who benefitted from jumping ship to ATV. Kenneth Chan and Gilbert Lam got they success from ATV. TVB never promoted Gilbert Lam when he was a minor actor in TVB and they never appreciate him either when the crossover to TVB after his success with ATV. Yes, TVB did offer a lead role to Kenneth Chan in 1 TVB series and let him play a few good supporting roles. But Kenneth Chan got his success from his role in MDWAV and his host duty is 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire'. Let's not forget about Annie Man who hardly get any promotion after she joined TVB (yeah, it's TVB who gave her support and make her famous today ).
    Lastly Patrick Tam. He got his big break after leaving TVB and starring in a series that use ATV actors and ATV filming facilities and technique. Ok, I have to agree that TVB gave Sunny Chan his success, but I'm not sure about Stephen Au. This guy played lead roles in ATV series. He was already quite well-known during his ATV days.
    About the acting class, Sunny Chan, Esther Kwan, Eric Wan and Joey Meng didn't join TVB acting classes but their acting is still good. I believe both stations have their acting classes.

I have to admit that TVB help an artist popularity due to it's larger viewers, thus higher exposure for the artist. But, and artist success depended mostly on luck, being in the right place at the right time and being able to catch a successful producers/directors' eyes. Chapman To hailed from ATV, he never join TVB, but he is now pretty successful in the movie circle. Been norminated 'Best Supporting Actor' a couple of time and acted in countless movies.

Just like to give some opposite view and not let TVB gets all the credit.
    Last edited by kidd; 02-13-05 at 06:15 AM.

Another view on TVB is it is too powerful. That leaves the actors under its production with minimal say and also almost no negotiation power...even with popularity, you still can't fight the big production house. ATV on the other hand, there is more human touch and because production teams work together on many projects, they grow to know each other as part of a big family. Of course, there is still some negotiation power in ATV.

ATV needs to buckle up and give good productions to win the public's negative views on ATV. ATV must also appreciate what they have in their production line up and use those talents coupled with great production/script in order to improve.
    I don't see why TVB should be the only production monopoly.

Default It depends on the actors and actresses

well, I don't know about ya, but from me personally, I like some of ATV drama. well, the one I like the best is

Swordsman
    Casts: Dicky Cheung and Tiffany Lau

I like Dicky Cheung and Tiffany Lau.
    They my favorite actor and actress

After all, it depends on the storyline and actings. Not the sound , recording, or the pictures.

Default Tiffany Lau

Talking of Tiffany Lau, anyone knows the latest new and movie of her?

thank you

Smile

To compare ATV with TVB, actually TVB quality is better. Also, TVB has more actors & actresses. But, TVB is not that bad since they had the My Date with Vampire and other shows...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoshan
    To compare ATV with TVB, actually TVB quality is better. Also, TVB has more actors & actresses. But, TVB is not that bad since they had the My Date with Vampire and other shows...
    Oooppsss typo error i mean ATV had My Date with Vampire...

ATV and TVB were once stiff competitors then the rise of TVB coupled with the decline of ATV started around the 1997 asian crisis.......... TVB advertised like mad and also made cheap local stars thus it was cheap for them to cast a series howver ATV was lacking in this point they do not have new stars rising and every time we watch something it was always the few people thus it started to get boring

now to compare both arew quite good howver sometimes i think TVB's series are just to promote new stars so that they are known these series are waste of time but an ATV production is almost always a good one thus i would have to say that ATV doe have the upper hand in terms of production whise

however in terms of cast TVB defiantely has a bigger cast thus the fershness and thus we watch more of them coupled with good advertising campigns TVB is better then ATV

but fair to say they are both good producers

The only thing I hate about ATV is that their posters and VHS/DVD/VCD aren't really appealing and sometimes look dumb. Especially the ones from 1991 and before. No wonder I saw more people renting old TVB series instead of ATV.

i hate it... maybe cause ATV doesnt seem to make very many series and the ones that i watched arent ANYWHERE close to TVB. TVB has no competition.
    currently watching: None. Too busy to watch TV!

Both channels are just as bad the only difference is the size and the money they have. Am I stating the obvious?

But if I really have to choose, it'll have to be TVB, since I grew up with it.

Default They're very different from TVB cause you can watch alot of stuff on their website

ATV have their own news about their promotion of Series/shows so you can know when these shows aire and know what's coming up very convinient but, if many people in HK already stereotyped them as boring then, it really doesn't help much. They should really do more promotion on the radios but then most would rather pick TVB minor actors then interview ATV's raising stars which I find ridiculous. I've noticed that ATV actually uploaded the first part of My Date With A Vampire and Good Old Days in Mandarin so you can watch both series if you know mandarin which is pretty cool but, too bad I don't know mandarin. ATV even had a actors/actresses profile part before TVB did but now that TVB finally has one for their people it's better since they have all the list of interviews from K-100 and other shows. ATV should really make a show specifically for news about their series and show and people. Maybe they do but I just can't seem to find it cause I know their is one since during the filming of MDWAVIII they talked about it alot in this ATV Show which I don't know the name of. Anyone know? It's I think hosted by a woman.

Not to be rude, but TVB series were ONCE good. But now most-if not all of their series are typical, and repeats itself over and over again.
    Don't know..but when I rent TVB series, their qualities is so bad...picture/sound....maybe because they make so many series...so they get cheap....ATV series are so much better...is just some people get confused when ATV buy the rights of mainland series, and they blame the qualities on ATV...but most of ATV series are a lot more meaningful than TVB's typical series.