Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: ATV or TVB

Quote Originally Posted by lilviet_grl8o8

yea i hate predictable stuff . . .

i noticed your name is jun bao. . i recently saw that series wudang/wu tang/ vo dang. [: its good
    haha . Didnt managed to chatch that series just yet, but i heard that Wudang 2 is so much better in terms of the fighting scenes.
    also the recent series TVB is producing doesn't grab my attention at all, where have all their good scriptwriters gone? TVB can flim the same theme over and over again with almost the same plots but using different casts. It's really getting on my nerves
    Zhang JunBao--->WuDang

Gundam-Freedom
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by JunBao
    seriously speaking, ATV is improving alot over the yrs. While TVB shows are getting from bad to worst. Most of thei recent series likeTurbulent Times of a Beauty has very preditable plots. Its like you will know what is gong to happen next minute.
    yea i hate predictable stuff . . .
    Yeah I admit dat TVB is dying cos of predictable story and scene!!!!

hey junbao.
    you`re right the ending of [Wu Dang / Vo Dang <-- i see it in vietnamese] it sucks, but the plot is semi-okay. lol [: cheung huyen cheung went from rags to riches, but he only wanted carmen, but she gave up on him, so he was like almost power-hungry for her & he was already married to Ma Chi Lan [i didn`t know her name] who begged Huyen Bao to not kill him. so yeaa

oii i think tvb should stop doing remakes of LOCH & ROCH or any condor trilogy. . grrrr. i like the old ones better though. [:
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

Gundam-Freedom
    Unregistered

oii i think tvb should stop doing remakes of LOCH & ROCH or any condor trilogy. . grrrr. i like the old ones better though.
    Actully TVB don't do dat anymore.....it's china dat make it

i noticed that too [:
    anyways, i like most chinese movies [im vietnamese, so im just glad they make chinese movies]. . i guess it depends on which ones you watch, some might have same lines, same actors, same plots so maybe thats why it seems SUCKY to you yew know? & maybe watching the same stuff by the same director affects that too
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

always ATV!!!!! tvb has crappy actors who have rich daddies and horrible writers that copy other people or write the same thing over and over. ATV actors are the real deal (ie Pinky Cheung, Chan Chin Pang, Kenneth Chan, list goes on...) and it has more original series (Love in a Miracle, MDWAV, Project Ji Xiang, again list goes on...) written by Chan Thirteen. So many of their movies dig deeper into the human experience than TVB ever could.

in addition ATV used to be the better station--it's been around longer (49th anniversary vs 36 for TVB). it was the station that came out with the classics and kept to the old way of making movies. that is why it fell behind, tvb dressed up their movies and actors and knew how to market a look without any substance. ATV tries harder to find good actors and make real movies--it can only get better whereas tvb has no where to go but down.
    Last edited by stylin-annie; 08-28-06 at 04:22 PM.

Gundam-Freedom
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by stylin-annie
    always ATV!!!!! tvb has crappy actors who have rich daddies and horrible writers that copy other people or write the same thing over and over. ATV actors are the real deal (ie Pinky Cheung, Chan Chin Pang, Kenneth Chan, list goes on...) and it has more original series (Love in a Miracle, MDWAV, Project Ji Xiang, again list goes on...) written by Chan Thirteen. So many of their movies dig deeper into the human experience than TVB ever could.

in addition ATV used to be the better station--it's been around longer (49th anniversary vs 36 for TVB). it was the station that came out with the classics and kept to the old way of making movies. that is why it fell behind, tvb dressed up their movies and actors and knew how to market a look without any substance. ATV tries harder to find good actors and make real movies--it can only get better whereas tvb has no where to go but down.
    I havenn't watch that many ATV series but I agree to what u say, especially the cast u mention!!!!

Gundam-Freedom
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by dyml
    I don't think ATV is that bad. I prefer the older series, but then the storyline on a lot of the TVB series have also gotten bad.
    ATV is not all bad!!!

They did sum decent series!!!

The snow is red
    MDWAV1-3
    Venture Against Time/Son of the Past

Default Please read this

I agree ATV got the true actors and actresses that can both sing and act. Crystal Tin(ex-ATV actress now in movies) and Kenneth Chan are the best examples and for newer actors it's probably Ben Cheung Ka Lun and Benny Chan Chin Pang. Remus Kam and Alice Chan sang a subsong together which was just awesome. Too bad both left already, Remus left for mainland and so did Alice I think and I don't blame them ATV may got the good scripts and actors but they are missing one important thing that just makes me so frustrated and that is they don't have someone that knows how to promote. When I say promote I mean like making a show like K-100 that talks about their series, functions, and interviews their artists. They also takes like forever to give lead roles to your newcomers that aren't even considered newcomers anymore seriously. Instead they like using ex-TVB people and also cherishes them right away when they leave TVB wtf?. Example, Chan Chin Pang has been with ATV longer but actually get ranked lower then Hawick Lau in the Profile page of the website. So it's like Kenneth Chan (no.1 actor), Pinky Cheung(new no.1 actress), and then suddenly there's the new addition Hawick Lau, and then it's Chin Pang(my idol), and then Patricia Liu and everyone else I guess isn't ranked and are scattered.

You know how long I've been waiting for my idol Benny Chan Chin Pang to become a male lead? Years. It might sound exaggerated but I think the only people who are given lead roles are the yut goh(number 1 actor), and yut gai(number 1 actress), and guess what it's been Kenneth Chan for a while and Pinky Cheung the new number 1 actress after Alice left. Gilbert Lam is an exception I guess maybe do to his age other then that 2nd lead roles only comes around once in a while for all the others, most of the time all others of to settle with supporting roles. I'm sick of that already and sick of my idols being in small roles. Chan Chin Pang has not have a big and good role since Love in a Miracle which made me his fan. Those who like TVB people would never understand how hard to have your favorite actor and actress as an ATV person. It's like I'm being punished for liking meaningful and realistic series.

People seem to only notice how ATV series is similar to TVB series. But it's usually only some of the mainland series that are similar to them. All ATV series are original. Well guess what there are many more TVB series that are similar to ATV ones especially the recent TVB series like Le Femme Desperado it's so similar to Anything But Him that also talked about three women's life and how a young guy(Gabriel Harrison/Hoi Chun Kit) fell in love with one of the woman that was not only way older then him but was also married. Trust me that woman definitely had a gap between Gabriel unlike Melissa and Raymond in Le Femme Desperado and the way Gabriel portrayed his character was in the realistic way which was just so touching and you'd feel for his character unlike the TVB version where Raymond acts way too immature. I just don't like how TVB trys to make everything or more like every modern series funny, it's horrible. Aren't series suppose to reflect how real life are? I mean Anything But Him does have comedic relief with some character that are funny and their day dreaming scenes but overall it's a serious drama especially when they talk about how Gabriel Hoi Chun Kit feels. Just looking at his facial expression you would feel so bad for him and would really believe that he loved her. I seriously recommend that series, the endind was weird but I think it was definitely a ATV series worth watching over and over and over again.

For ATV series you'd watch and rewatch them many times but for a TVB series once is already enough. The last TVB series I rewatched was Detective Investigation Files IV and that's a long......time ago, I rewatched that ending so many times for Sunny and Charmaine's dialogue with each other. I've been wanting to rewatch Venture Against Time and especially Anything But Him but my mom didn't record VAT and I have no clue where the tapes of ABH went. I pissed off at the fact that no one remembers or notice that TVB copied them just because 1. it was an ATV series so it wasn't as popular, 2. it was an old series aired a while ago, and 3.Maybe not much people has watched it. Seeing how ratings were so good in Le Femme Desperado was is like a smack in the face for ATV becasue they were the ones who first came up with that type of storyline but in a better more realistic and touching way that HK just don't seem either get or just like comedies and doesn't like meaningful and realistic stuff.
    Last edited by Sport3888; 09-13-06 at 12:37 AM.

I don't know a good english site of Kenneth Chan but I do know a good chinese website with many clips of him and gets updated regularly. It's an awesome and probably the best Kenneth site you'll find. http://hk.geocities.com/ida_yuen/ken-main.html There'll probably be more if you search with his chinese name. The best way to find ATV artists site is to search with the characters of their chinese names, copy and paste it from yesasia if they aren't with ATV anymore or get it from the official website if they still are. I don't know about others but Crystal Tin and Benny Chan Chin Pang goes and leaves message at their sites. Unfortunately because of spamming Chin Pang's site is now a chinese forum that's hard to navigate. It's definitely the real Chin Pang because the fan who made it gave the username and password to him and is in charge of his HK fan club. As for the Crystal site I'm not really sure becuase I just found it.

Seriously speaking, ATV actually do have better scripts as compared to TVb. I think their main problem lies in their editing and cutting of scenes. The editing makes their storyline either too draggy or the scenes doesn't link right at all. Furthermore, hongkong people have the tendency of staying at only one channel. So mos of the ppl only watch tvb and doesn't switch to ATv even if TVb is showing some crappy shows
    Zhang JunBao--->WuDang

Quote Originally Posted by Sport3888
    People seem to only notice how ATV series is similar to TVB series. But it's usually only some of the mainland series that are similar to them. All ATV series are original. Well guess what there are many more TVB series that are similar to ATV ones especially the recent TVB series like Le Femme Desperado it's so similar to Anything But Him that also talked about three women's life and how a young guy(Gabriel Harrison/Hoi Chun Kit) fell in love with one of the woman that was not only way older then him but was also married. Trust me that woman definitely had a gap between Gabriel unlike Melissa and Raymond in Le Femme Desperado and the way Gabriel portrayed his character was in the realistic way which was just so touching and you'd feel for his character unlike the TVB version where Raymond acts way too immature. I just don't like how TVB trys to make everything or more like every modern series funny, it's horrible. Aren't series suppose to reflect how real life are? I mean Anything But Him does have comedic relief with some character that are funny and their day dreaming scenes but overall it's a serious drama especially when they talk about how Gabriel Hoi Chun Kit feels. Just looking at his facial expression you would feel so bad for him and would really believe that he loved her. I seriously recommend that series, the endind was weird but I think it was definitely a ATV series worth watching over and over and over again.
    I've watched Anything But Him, but I've to say Le Femme Desperado is a more enjoyable series and has a better ending. ABH can be boring at times and the ending sux big time.

But I love Gabriel's character. I watch this series when it first came out (which was more than 5 years ago) and I still love Gabriel's character until now. Gabriel did a great job potraying this character. I was actually contemplating whether to buy this series or not just because of Gabriel's character. But when I think of the boring parts, I held back the idea. So, until now, I still haven't bought the series.

Btw, to people who want to know how big is the generation gap, the woman Gabriel's character loves is played by Tian Niu (Alex Man ex-wife, who played Fong Sai Yuk's mom in the Dicky's version of Fong Sai Yuk).

I like how Gabriel said he didn't mean to love Tian Niu. He never thought he would love Tian Niu when he first met her. But he just grew to love her when they spend more time together. I find this more realistic than Siu Chai loving his teenage crush for 13 years (which was very fairytale-like). The scene where he (Gabe) let her (Tian Niu) go (the coin scene) was just so touching.

Haha. Now, I'm recontemplating whether to buy the series or not.

Another line from the series I still remember is the one Priscilla Lau use to defend herself against Amy's accusation of her using dirty tricks to get Kenneth. Amy said, "Didn't we say we would compete fairly? How can u lie to him?" and Priscilla said "I did so much for him but u didn't do anything and u already got his love. Is that called 'compete fairly." (Note: the previous dialogue is not exact qoute). This argument of hers really made me think.
    Last edited by kidd; 09-13-06 at 07:09 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Gundam-Freedom
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Sport3888
    For ATV series you'd watch and rewatch them many times but for a TVB series once is already enough. The last TVB series I rewatched was Detective Investigation Files IV and that's a long......time ago, I rewatched that ending so many times for Sunny and Charmaine's dialogue with each other. I've been wanting to rewatch Venture Against Time and especially Anything But Him but my mom didn't record VAT and I have no clue where the tapes of ABH went. I pissed off at the fact that no one remembers or notice that TVB copied them just because 1. it was an ATV series so it wasn't as popular, 2. it was an old series aired a while ago, and 3.Maybe not much people has watched it. Seeing how ratings were so good in Le Femme Desperado was is like a smack in the face for ATV becasue they were the ones who first came up with that type of storyline but in a better more realistic and touching way that HK just don't seem either get or just like comedies and doesn't like meaningful and realistic stuff.
    TVB and ATV both r re-watchable IMO

Well, I like ATV for the actor aspect (if you notice my signature, you will realize that Kenneth Chan is dear to my heart) and story ideas (I think almost all of their stories have very original ideas). But I must say that the shows can be draggy at times (ex: Central Affairs 2: I am attempting to watch it, but some parts are just too boring; love in a miracle was draggy too) and some of their dialouge are questionable (MDWAVIII has some very confusing dialogue, but maybe it's b/c of the viet dubbed). Furthermore, I don't like it that they randomly add parts that seemed unnecessary (MDWAVIII w/ the Ricky Chan super hero scene). The editing/filming is weird too (Central Affairs I and II and Hong Kong Criminal cases) when they try to dramatize a scene, they keep rocking the camera and some makeout scenes (Central Affairs) are wayyyyy too long. Due to the lack of actors perhaps, some scenes look very fake (Heroine of the Yang I, during the battle scene, there was only soldier guys running in the background; can't they use mirrors or soemthing?). And like Sport3888 said previous, the biggest problem with ATV is that they keep promoting newcomers that are not as good as those who has been their longer, Hawick is okay on my list, but I don't like him as much as other actors in ATV (Kenneth, Gilbert, Chin Pang, Chun Kai Wai, Ricky, Berg Ng, etc). Michelle don't deserve main actress status in central affairs in my oppinion.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

And then there's tvb. I used to like their shows from the 80's and 90's, but now it's just sad. Sure, once in awhile, there's something I want to see, but when I actually watch it, I tend to stop in the middle b/c it soon get bad. Furthermore, I can't say I am loyal to any of the young actors or actresses in tvb. Sure, the older generation are likable, but ppl like Raymond, Ron, Bosco, Kenneth Ma (eww), and the list goes on, just don't appeal to me. Actresses like Charmaine, Tavia, Lelia (eww), Linda (double eww), Myolie. that one girl from Yummy Yummy (ends up w/ raymond), evil girl with light hairy upper lip in Revolving door of vengeance, and the list goes on and on and on, just turn me away. And yes, orginal dialogue and storyline is as rare now-a-days as snow in July. Like ATV, makeout scenes are wayyyyyyyyy tooo long (ie: Kenix Kwok and Michael in that school show. Man, they were like the energizer bunny, they kept going and going. I was like, is this appropriate for tv? Isn't she happily married to Frankie, etc.). All in all, what happen to good, wholesome tv?

Now, I have to turn to taiwanese series and that once was on my list of no-nos due to sappy, draggy storyline.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

I'm so disappointed. I asked the video store I frequented to check up Anyone But Him, but they said their supplier doesn't have this title anymore.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I like ATV's scripts better than TVB and they have more talented actors/actresses who *can* act, not just look pretty. But I'm talking about the "old" ATV. Back in 2000 and all the previous years to it, I was watching more ATV series than TVB. Talented artists like Erica Choi, Gilbert Lam, Stephen Au, Annie Man, etc, were my favorites at ATV.

TVB has more "power" and monopololizes the HK entertainment industry and yes, sometimes, they can churn out a good series here and there. But in a nutshell, I don't like how they like to cast unknowns with no acting chops but just because he/she has a pretty face, then that's enough for them.

Nowadays, I'm watching more Jdramas, Kdramas and Chinese series. They seem to be on top of their game and churning out better series with more addictive plot lines.

I like ATV more. TVB is just sad these days. Look at all the series TVB come out this year in 2009, not even 1 series worth mentioning. Too much comedy, too much family stuff, too much teenager problems.

I'm giving up on TVB lately, their series are no way compared to the 80's and 90's. After the 90s, it just going down. NONE Of the TVB actors today can compared to the 80s actors back then.

I like TVB the best, then ATV as a close second, then Mainland China as a distant third. I agree that TVB is no longer dominate the industry as it did during the 80s erra but it's still the best among them.