Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which characters couldn't live up to their hype?

anyone watch DGSD 96? in the first fighting scene between MRF and XF, they look like equals.
    That episode should never have been done. He did a Kamehame attack and wiped out the entire Xixia army. Since then, the abuse of sfx was not repeated in that way ever again throughout the whole series.

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hanky Panky
    That episode should never have been done. He did a Kamehame attack and wiped out the entire Xixia army. Since then, the abuse of sfx was not repeated in that way ever again throughout the whole series.
    haha that scene was great! =)

Quote Originally Posted by shanghai girls are hot
    anyone watch DGSD 96? in the first fighting scene between MRF and XF, they look like equals. but as the series progresses they made him significantly weaker then XF. i do not like how DY can beat MRF, what a joke. this guy has no training and can manage to beat MRF who has trained in martial arts his whole life. DY sucks, hate that JY character.
    Exactly. Duan Yu IS superior to Murong because he NEVER intended to train martial arts. In the philosophy of DGSD, those without desire will get ahead.

But really, Duan Yu knows 3 of the most powerful martial arts to ever grace the Jin Yong universe. Of course he can beat Murong Fu.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

In the philosophy of DGSD, those without desire will get ahead.
    The higher they come, the harder they fall.
    Xiao Yuanshan, Murong Bo and Jiumo Zhi should've been dead. Xiao Feng is dead. Destroyed by his own power as he sought for revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    XYS and MRB should be around the XF level thirty years ago. the reason MRF is not as good as his dad maybe because he trained mostly on his own and his only teacher was his mom who sucked at martial arts. if his dad took a hand in his martial education, then he might have been much better.
    what happened to his mum?

Quote Originally Posted by superboy
    Well, based on how his martial arts was not even worth mentioning in ROCH, you should have deduced that YK wasn't much of a bada$$.
    Yeah but everything was so mysterious about YK. The who subject seemed taboo in ROCH. It was also a long time between watching ROCH and LOCH adaptions for me.

When watch LOCH, I was waiting for YK to get strong, finally lost hope at the temple. (there were signs that indicated he could be a badass...he seemed better than GJ when they first met, his fathers fighter seemed powerful, he had MCF as a shifu, became beggar clan leader, association with QQR, had OYF as shifu)

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    what happened to his mum?
    There wasn't much mention of his mum, where did Kyss get this from?

Anyway his mum, being the auntie of WYY, seemed to know a lot of kungfu too as MRB discussed LWBB with her.

Even with MRB alive, Id imagine MRF would receive most of his martial arts pointer from his mother as MRB would be busy trying to revive yan. Similar to how MRB's mother taught MRB martial arts when MRB was 15.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

sorry, I got the idea from the adaption. not sure if that was true but in that scene, MRF went out to play and his mother beat him and wailed at him for leting his father down. MRF promised his mom he would dedicate himself to restoring yan. he was made to practise martial arts for eight hours a day and study books and war tactics for eight hours a daysince really young, like eight or something. he was trying to explain to WYY why restoring yan was so important to him.

did MRB also learn from his mom? where are the fathers of the murong clan. talk about a deadbeat dad.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

duan yu does not suk and also i was also veri disapointed in my dady(yeung hong) as well , well compare to a son like me

To Kyss

Now that you mentioned it, I do remember seeing that bit in one of the adaptions too.

Not sure if MRF's mother taught him, just an assumption based on the things I mentioned.

Oh no another Yeung Gor, lol, welcome, this is gonna be interesting (assuming you and the original aren't the same person).

ZZR did not live up to her own hype. When she was acting like she would pwn ZWJ at the Dragon Slaying meet at Shaolin i thought she'd actually be able to put up some resistance...
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Default Yep

MRF, ZZR. ZZR was overhyped. ZZR despite knowing some 9 Yin, her intenal energy is even weaker than a 1st of 1st class like Wudang 7 warriors and the 4 protector kings of Ming. Since she is weaker than 1st of 1st class, she can go dream for supreme and unbeatables. MRF was overhyped as well. MRF I would still give him 1st of 1st class, but not Supreme like XF.

To be fair, ZZR didn't have time to study all of 9 Yin (which was very comprehensive).

She only used the shortcut method HR included to gain the quick boost because of time limits. Given 5 years to train hard at it, she could become a strong fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse
    To be fair, ZZR didn't have time to study all of 9 Yin (which was very comprehensive).

She only used the shortcut method HR included to gain the quick boost because of time limits. Given 5 years to train hard at it, she could become a strong fighter.
    Cheung 3 Fung, Mit Jeut See Tai, and Cheung Mo Gei all judged that Chow Chi Yerk had that kind of potential, so it's possible. How badly wounded was she at the end of HSDS anyway? Was she so badly hurt that she could never reach her full potential...9 Yum Jen Ging or no 9 Yum Jen Ging?

Now that I think about it, Lee Mok Sau didn't quite live up to her hype. The way Luk Lap Ding described her at the beginning of ROCH, you'd think that Lee Mok Sau was some unstoppable force of nature that could kill anyone in her path. Well, she was quite deadly, but there were at least seven or eight known martial artists in the wulin of the time who had absolutely nothing to fear from her and whom she was fortunate enough to not cross paths with for about a decade's time.

Pi Xue Jian Fa.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Pi Xue Jian Fa.
    Bi Xie Jian Fa not up to its fame? I don't agree.

It gave some 7th tier fighter (I don't think there was a single named fighter in the whole book worst then LPZ) such a tremendous increase in ability within a short period of self-training (and I assume he could not train 100% due to the need for secrecy while at Huashan).

When LHC saw LPZ's new skills, he was afraid that he could not handle it. And at that point, LHC was strong enough to tie or beat Chongxu.

I also believe that DFBB's version was possibly 'weaker' then Bi Xie. Since Lin Yuantu was the 're-creator' of the fragments and his version should not be weaker then the Huashan copy. And DFBB was shown to be so much stronger than RWX+LHC.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

ZHOU BUFAN

Wow, once in a while old threads like this one get dug up.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

BWM easily comes to mind. Supposedly a great, yet he only complied something like a 1-20 record.