+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 123

Thread: The Good Old Days

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TiffTiff View Post
    It this series called Loa.n The^' Ti`nh Thu` in vietnamese??? Is this the same as War & Destiny from TVB with Myolie, Leila, Ron & Sunny ??? Honestly, I haven't watch both series , so I want to know ....
    This series is nothing like War and Destiny. It's more profound. It's a classic. War and Destiny can't compare to it in a million years imo. TGOD was a great hit back then, and it brought the couple, Amy and Steve, to the height of their career. Years ago ATV wanted to do a remake. I don't think it will ever be the same. This is like the classic Journey to the West that nothing can compare. Though I really want to see who play Sau Hau and Ho Man's character.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,662

    Smile

    Actually, I don't mind that Ho Mun meets Sau Lai and falls in love with her. I think he deserves someone who loves him, someone who puts him first. He shouldn't have to wait for scraps from his sister-in-law. Besides, I think Ho Mun and Sau Lai's storyline is pretty cute and entertaining. I love the part where he freaks out about the cockroach and she has to come to his rescue. Nice role reversal there. Wow, the actress who plays Sau Lai is really tall!!! Maybe I am biased after seeing Gilbert Lam with Annie Man in Heroine of the Yangs, but I think he looks much better with a petite actress. It makes him look much more dashing and taller when he hovers over a small actress.

    Ok, I know I'll probably get attacked by the Amy Chan fans when I say this, but I find Amy's scenes with Steven Ma really boring. I don't mind seeing the parts with Amy alone or with other people, but I fast forward the parts with her and Steven. I am not Amy's fan. She is a good actress, I admit, but I won't go searching for her series. She does an excellent job in The Good Old Days, but I don't find myself caring much when Ho Mun falls in love with someone else rather than remain faithful to his love for Sau Hau (Amy's character) because I don't have strong feelings for Amy. She's great, but I'm more of a Gilbert fan. So as long as his character is happy in the series, then I'm happy. Just wish they had Annie Man play Sau Lai's role. Then, I'd be happy as a clam.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,662

    Smile

    Oops, forgot to ask. I didn't realize the script was changed. What was the original story? Why was the script changed? I hope they don't do a remake. It's already wonderfully done the first time. Why mess with greatness?

  4. #44
    Senior Member Linh-e-Pooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TiffTiff View Post
    It this series called Loa.n The^' Ti`nh Thu` in vietnamese??? Is this the same as War & Destiny from TVB with Myolie, Leila, Ron & Sunny ??? Honestly, I haven't watch both series , so I want to know ....
    Yes, The Good Old Days is entitled Loan The Tinh Thu in Vietnamese!

    War and Destiny is nothing compared to The Good Old Days; the storyline is boring and the customs and props are too unfitting for the time period. ATV's pre-modern dramas are always better than TVB's!
    Amy Chan Sau Man and Maggie Cheung Ho Yee 4ever!

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ennethChan.jpg

  5. #45
    Senior Member Linh-e-Pooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cindytran View Post
    Yeah, keep screaming. I yelled alot too whenever I watched him. I felt inlove with him in this series. Then I started watching HOTY and I love my Ye Lut Ho Nam even more. I love all the scenes of him and Amy in TGOD. Why couldn't they follow the original script and have them together? AWW.
    I loved watching Gilbert and Amy together in all their series, but in The Good Old Days... As much as I love Sau Hau and Ho Nam, I also love Sau Hau and Ho Sang... Ho Nam and Sau Hau's pairing would be great, but with Sau Hau's character, I cannot see her remarrying; especially to her brother-in-law! IMPOSSIBLE!
    Amy Chan Sau Man and Maggie Cheung Ho Yee 4ever!

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ennethChan.jpg

  6. #46
    Senior Member Linh-e-Pooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cindytran View Post
    No, he is not like his older brother. He is actually better imo. He helps the family established two fabric factories and took care of the family when Steve left for his own manly business, so he claimed, and left his wife + family all alone.

    He doesn't die in the end. Though the end sucks for him I think. I think it would be better if he is just ended up by himself then having another girl jump into the story just to pair up with him. Pointless. Though I do think she is a replacement. He is too good. Love his character, whoo hoo.

    You are not the only one who thinks he is the best character in there. AFter the series showed on tv, he and Amy both won best actor/actress awards. I think he totally deserved it.
    Amy and Gilbert did win the best actors award for the drama!

    Ho Sang's character isn't really selfish for leaving; he's a faithful person to his country... There's nothing wrong with it; though I can't say he handled everything beautifully (because he didn't) I would never label him as anything but a perfect match for Sau Hau... In reality, the story is right... Sometime there's a perfect man who stands by a woman, but the woman ends up choosing the man who hurts her continuously!

    Anywhos, Gilbert was amazing in this drama! I totally adore him and Amy together!

    I hope they'll film a drama again as a couple SOON!
    Amy Chan Sau Man and Maggie Cheung Ho Yee 4ever!

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ennethChan.jpg

  7. #47
    Senior Member Linh-e-Pooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Actually, I don't mind that Ho Mun meets Sau Lai and falls in love with her. I think he deserves someone who loves him, someone who puts him first. He shouldn't have to wait for scraps from his sister-in-law. Besides, I think Ho Mun and Sau Lai's storyline is pretty cute and entertaining. I love the part where he freaks out about the cockroach and she has to come to his rescue. Nice role reversal there. Wow, the actress who plays Sau Lai is really tall!!! Maybe I am biased after seeing Gilbert Lam with Annie Man in Heroine of the Yangs, but I think he looks much better with a petite actress. It makes him look much more dashing and taller when he hovers over a small actress.

    Ok, I know I'll probably get attacked by the Amy Chan fans when I say this, but I find Amy's scenes with Steven Ma really boring. I don't mind seeing the parts with Amy alone or with other people, but I fast forward the parts with her and Steven. I am not Amy's fan. She is a good actress, I admit, but I won't go searching for her series. She does an excellent job in The Good Old Days, but I don't find myself caring much when Ho Mun falls in love with someone else rather than remain faithful to his love for Sau Hau (Amy's character) because I don't have strong feelings for Amy. She's great, but I'm more of a Gilbert fan. So as long as his character is happy in the series, then I'm happy. Just wish they had Annie Man play Sau Lai's role. Then, I'd be happy as a clam.

    I TAKE NO OFFENSE!

    I loved Amy and Steven's chemistry! HAHA, the storyline is so hopeful and honest; it gives me chills! The storyline is a bit too good to be true (actually, all the love story in here is too good to be true, but I wouldn't doubt that in the time of war... There exist such stories)!

    Anywhos, though I enjoyed Gilbert and Amy together and their scenes... I do admit, their partner isn't the best. Steven was a bit too overimaginative in his portrayal and the other girl (Sau Lai) is not a good actress (she's a bit annoying)!

    AHHHHH, all the more I hope Amy and Gilbert films a drama together! AMMMMMMMMY!
    Amy Chan Sau Man and Maggie Cheung Ho Yee 4ever!

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ennethChan.jpg

  8. #48
    Senior Member Linh-e-Pooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Oops, forgot to ask. I didn't realize the script was changed. What was the original story? Why was the script changed? I hope they don't do a remake. It's already wonderfully done the first time. Why mess with greatness?

    THE GOOD OLD DAYS filmed over the course of over a year; almost 2 I think!

    So when the series was being slowly released as the series was still filming; the scriptwriters, who originally wanted Sau Hau and Ho Nam to end up together, realizes that if they stuck with their original storyline - the audience would be furious (as the audience were consist mostly of elder housewives who values the idea of what a traditional woman like Sau Hau should and should not do when her husband is absent - obviously, what she shouldn't do is remarry; especially to her brother-in-law!)

    Well, obviously, in the original script... Ho Sang really dies in war, but they choose for him to stay alive and they end up leaving us with the storyline we saw... ^_^ Which I don't protest, as I love the series! But the original would probably be good too; since I love Sau Nam and Sau Hau - but again, I can't see Sau Hau remarrying - its not in her nature to do so!



    AND NO WAY...

    If they remake the series; I'll be offended! The original is a CLASSIC! It would never make it... Sau Hau IS Amy and Amy is Sau Hau... Same with Ho Nam and Gilbert, Ho Sang and Steven, etc.
    Amy Chan Sau Man and Maggie Cheung Ho Yee 4ever!

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ennethChan.jpg

  9. #49
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,662

    Smile

    Ah, Linh-e-Pooh, I see you are a big fan of Amy Chan. I like Amy and Gilbert individually, but as a couple, I still cannot accept them. Perhaps it is because I am such a huge Gilbert and Annie fan from Heroine of the Yangs. However, I have to admit that the actress who plays Sau Lai is not the most likable. She seems inexperienced and a bit stiff at times. And she's too tall! I don't have anything against tall girls. Seriously, I don't! But she just looks so...huge...next to Gilbert. Thank goodness he is so tall, or else she would have dwarfed him!

    Linh-e-Pooh, I have recently seen an old TVB drama called Dharma and guess who I found in there? Amy Chan! She was one of the female leads and looks so young!

  10. #50
    Senior Member bubcas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fruity Land
    Posts
    1,350

    Default

    I agree with Linh! Just love the pairing of Sau Hau and Ho Sang. Even tho Ho Sang's character is a bit wooden, but his love for Sau Hau is eternal and same goes to Amy. She waited for Ho Sang for 6 years and did not beleive that he died in the war. This is one of my all time favorite series by ATV. Somehow, I don't see a good match between Amy & Gilbert in this series.
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

  11. #51
    Senior Member bubcas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fruity Land
    Posts
    1,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Ah, Linh-e-Pooh, I see you are a big fan of Amy Chan. I like Amy and Gilbert individually, but as a couple, I still cannot accept them. Perhaps it is because I am such a huge Gilbert and Annie fan from Heroine of the Yangs. However, I have to admit that the actress who plays Sau Lai is not the most likable. She seems inexperienced and a bit stiff at times. And she's too tall! I don't have anything against tall girls. Seriously, I don't! But she just looks so...huge...next to Gilbert. Thank goodness he is so tall, or else she would have dwarfed him!

    Linh-e-Pooh, I have recently seen an old TVB drama called Dharma and guess who I found in there? Amy Chan! She was one of the female leads and looks so young!
    Yes, Amy started with TVB back in the 80s. I've watched quite a bit of her series with TVB until she left TVB in the early 90s. But I still like her with ATV especially the ancient series or when she wears cheong sam like in The Good Old Days.
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

  12. #52
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    4,931

    Default

    Actually, I was very supportive of a Sau Hau-Ho Man relationship. I find Ho Sang very annoying cos he is just so draggy in relationships. he is the perfect son, but I find Gilbert's Ho Man more real and touching. He was never an unfilial son, but just didn;t show it cos he felt like he wasn't needed. He is brave when he is needed and he is willing to give up everything for his family - liek pull rickshaws, go hungry. Ho man is the true man of the house after hsi dad got sick and Ho Sang left, and he matured immediately from brat to decider when hsi family needed him teh most.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  13. #53
    Senior Member Linh-e-Pooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Ah, Linh-e-Pooh, I see you are a big fan of Amy Chan. I like Amy and Gilbert individually, but as a couple, I still cannot accept them. Perhaps it is because I am such a huge Gilbert and Annie fan from Heroine of the Yangs. However, I have to admit that the actress who plays Sau Lai is not the most likable. She seems inexperienced and a bit stiff at times. And she's too tall! I don't have anything against tall girls. Seriously, I don't! But she just looks so...huge...next to Gilbert. Thank goodness he is so tall, or else she would have dwarfed him!

    Linh-e-Pooh, I have recently seen an old TVB drama called Dharma and guess who I found in there? Amy Chan! She was one of the female leads and looks so young!

    Yes, I'm pleased to say that I am a huge Amy Chan fan; oh way, The Good Old Days (when I first watched it at about 8 or 9) was when I fell in love with her. Her brilliance captivated my young attention (which isn't easy, as I was a rebellious and naughty little girl, lolz, so my parents tell me)!

    Anywhos, I'm a supporter for Gilbert and Amy as a pair; since they had great chemistry and they look so compatible together... NOT to mention, they are such great friends! But there is no way in heavens that this pairing would be in my top 10! They're pleasant on screen, but I'm not dying to see them pair up again. ^_^

    And yeah, the girl who played Sau Lai; she's IMO, rather hard to tolerate... Thanks goodness the other casts did a great enough job for me to be able to tolerate her... And since her scenes either have Gilbert or Amy in, I couldn't fast forward it... EKKK!


    And yes, I've seen DHARMA, Amy was excellent in there; one of the only reason I watched it in the first place last summer. The series isn't half as bad as I thought it'd be, but the storyline didn't flow too well and Alex wasn't the best lead. Amy really stole the show for me; her and her husband (in the series), their chemistry was sweet! And yes, she was very young in the series... It is, indeed one of her earlier dramas in 1980; it was broad casted in 1986! She was about 24 in the series, as she is 46 now! ^_^
    Amy Chan Sau Man and Maggie Cheung Ho Yee 4ever!

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ennethChan.jpg

  14. #54
    Senior Member Linh-e-Pooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bubcas View Post
    I agree with Linh! Just love the pairing of Sau Hau and Ho Sang. Even tho Ho Sang's character is a bit wooden, but his love for Sau Hau is eternal and same goes to Amy. She waited for Ho Sang for 6 years and did not beleive that he died in the war. This is one of my all time favorite series by ATV. Somehow, I don't see a good match between Amy & Gilbert in this series.

    HAHAHA, you are right bubcas, it was hard to see any 'match-like' qualities between Sau Hau and Hong Nam... I mean, fans of Sau Hau and Ho Sang are DEAD CONVINCED that the pair would be together through ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING, so they can't see Sau Hau with anyone... Therefore its hard to see any relationship other than the brother-in-law and sister-in-law relationship that they have. This I agree!

    But aside from romantic relationship, which is impossible for the two... I saw chemistry that doesn't necessarily yield a 'couple' but moreso two caring friends... And this IMO, can be turned into a great pairing within another beautifully written script!

    AGREED? I mean, seriously... When you see Amy and Gilbert together; you can see their tenderness and extreme gentleness... It's just breathtaking, IMO, I'd love to see this pairing some day, SOON!
    Amy Chan Sau Man and Maggie Cheung Ho Yee 4ever!

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ennethChan.jpg

  15. #55
    Senior Member Linh-e-Pooh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Actually, I was very supportive of a Sau Hau-Ho Man relationship. I find Ho Sang very annoying cos he is just so draggy in relationships. he is the perfect son, but I find Gilbert's Ho Man more real and touching. He was never an unfilial son, but just didn;t show it cos he felt like he wasn't needed. He is brave when he is needed and he is willing to give up everything for his family - liek pull rickshaws, go hungry. Ho man is the true man of the house after hsi dad got sick and Ho Sang left, and he matured immediately from brat to decider when hsi family needed him teh most.
    There wasn't a doubt in it that most viewers saw Ho Man as the better man than Ho Sang, as individuals... But I'm positive that viewers were geared and addicted to the development between Sau Hau and Ho Sang; therefore, they also rooted for Ho Sang!

    But again, realistically, we all knew who the better man was. despite his not being with the leading lady... HO MAN; Gilbert Lam - isn't that the ultimate reason in why Gilbert won the best actor award that year, rather than Steven?!!
    Amy Chan Sau Man and Maggie Cheung Ho Yee 4ever!

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ennethChan.jpg

  16. #56
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,662

    Smile

    I think the main problem I have with Ho Sang is his abandonment of his family to go off to war. Sure, responsibility to his country is very important, but he can support the war effort in other ways. He has a family he needs to take care of first.

    I agree with charbydis and Linh-e-Pooh. Ho Man is the ideal man - very husband material. He is not without flaws, but his good characteristics make his flaws seem irrelevant. Besides, flaws make a person more human. What I do find amusing is that he seems to get into fights a lot, chasing after petty thieves, etc. He packs a pretty good punch, considering that he's a rich boy and probably doesn't spend his days getting into quarrels. So where does he learn how to punch and jab, or do fist fights come naturally for men?

  17. #57
    Senior Member bubcas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fruity Land
    Posts
    1,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linh-e-Pooh View Post
    HAHAHA, you are right bubcas, it was hard to see any 'match-like' qualities between Sau Hau and Hong Nam... I mean, fans of Sau Hau and Ho Sang are DEAD CONVINCED that the pair would be together through ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING, so they can't see Sau Hau with anyone... Therefore its hard to see any relationship other than the brother-in-law and sister-in-law relationship that they have. This I agree!

    But aside from romantic relationship, which is impossible for the two... I saw chemistry that doesn't necessarily yield a 'couple' but moreso two caring friends... And this IMO, can be turned into a great pairing within another beautifully written script!

    AGREED? I mean, seriously... When you see Amy and Gilbert together; you can see their tenderness and extreme gentleness... It's just breathtaking, IMO, I'd love to see this pairing some day, SOON!
    I am so glad that this subject is still very much alive! Never get tired of giving reviews in one of my fav. series.

    I totally agree with Linh..... on the click between Amy & Gilbert in TGOD... I mean especially in this series and their characters.....both can only remain as sister & brother in-law. Just look at the pairing & characters on Sheren Tang & Maggie Siu with Ho Sang.... I don't see any chemistry at all either!!
    Last edited by bubcas; 07-02-08 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Typo
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

  18. #58
    Senior Member bubcas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fruity Land
    Posts
    1,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I think the main problem I have with Ho Sang is his abandonment of his family to go off to war. Sure, responsibility to his country is very important, but he can support the war effort in other ways. He has a family he needs to take care of first.

    I agree with charbydis and Linh-e-Pooh. Ho Man is the ideal man - very husband material. He is not without flaws, but his good characteristics make his flaws seem irrelevant. Besides, flaws make a person more human. What I do find amusing is that he seems to get into fights a lot, chasing after petty thieves, etc. He packs a pretty good punch, considering that he's a rich boy and probably doesn't spend his days getting into quarrels. So where does he learn how to punch and jab, or do fist fights come naturally for men?
    Somehow IMO, ATV pick the right actress (Sau Lai) to pair with Ho Nam in this series. Not sure what is the name of this actress. But then again, it is not realistic on how fast Sau Lai grown into a beautiful & tall girl in 6 years! When Sau Hau marries Ho Sang, she was still like 10? Later of the episodes, she was almost sold to Nam Yang and 6 years later, Ho Sang went MIA and Sau Hau still waiting for his return from the war. Does it mean Sau Lai is 16 and Ho Nam is much older?
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

  19. #59
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    4,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bubcas View Post
    I am so glad that this subject is still very much alive! Never get tired of giving reviews in one of my fav. series.

    I totally agree with Linh..... on the click between Amy & Gilbert in TGOD... I mean especially in this series and their characters.....both can only remain as sister & brother in-law. Just look at the pairing & characters on Sheren Tang & Maggie Siu with Ho Sang.... I don't see any chemistry at all either!!
    I don't think Sheren and Steve's Ho Sang were supoosed to have chemistry. After all, he only was intersted in her cos she was a doppelganger of his dead girlfriend, and she stayed with him because he seemed to care about her when no one else would. there wasn't really a love story there at all. But she and Lam Wai who played Bong looked very compatible and comfortable together though Steve's Ho Sang much more good looking.

    And poor Maggie had zero chemistry with anyone cos her character was just so unlikeable.

    I seem to think that Sau Lai was around 18 when she married Ho Mun. Cos she was10 when Sau Hau got married, but then she left a few years later after Sau Hau's miscarriage which was like one or two years into the marriage when teh bandits attacked.

    So she was12 or 13 when she left and got caught in the flood, became a prositute at 15 then I think it was 5 or 6 years later that they met up so she shoudl be 18 when she met Ho Man.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  20. #60
    Senior Member Melanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,662

    Smile

    Yes, I think Bong's mother once mentioned to Sau Hau that she should persuade her little sister (Sau Lai) to quit the entertainment business because it was not a good profession for a "girl not yet twenty" to be in. I think she was referring to backstage seduction of the actresses by the directors, etc. in order for the stars to land a good role. So Sau Lai must had been only 18 or 19 when she met Ho Man. I wonder how old Ho Man was, though. He was already a grown man at the beginning of the series, while Sau Lai was a 10 year old child.

Similar Threads

  1. What matters more to you - Good Service or Good Food?
    By bellamia in forum Travel and Food
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 09-02-10, 02:02 AM
  2. 240 Days retention
    By atlantean0208 in forum Tech Squad
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-16-08, 05:35 PM
  3. Beautiful Days
    By nikita_kim in forum Japanese/Korean Dramas
    Replies: 419
    Last Post: 04-18-06, 07:38 PM
  4. FORUM was down for about 2 days..what happenend?
    By strawberry in forum Technical Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-01-06, 11:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts