Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Good Old Days

Alright..now I'm on episode 40, The last part that featured Ho Sang is when they are attacked by the enemies, at that time he can't speak coz he hit his head and chin, and he lost his diary. I think Lok Ping took the diary.

So when he'll return to the Fongs family? And when is the beginning of part 2?
    And is it true that after he meet his family he will go missing again? Probably being jailed or something..i can't remember.
    Last edited by daisy789; 05-20-09 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linh-e-Pooh View Post
    LOL, they were all young back then, the series was filmed over a decade ago!

HS's character is a bit better later; like me, you'll probably scorn him for his stupid actions and the way he constantly hurt SH, but in the end, you'll love him because SH loves him. In a way, I truly hated HS: hated him because he was mean to SH, hated him because he went to war and ignored his family, hated him because he not only took two other women into his home, but he abandoned them as well, hated him because he got his memories LOST, hated him because he thinks too much about what he wants, and lastly I hated him because he doesn't deserve someone as brilliant and lovely as SH...

EVEN so, it is because he has the person he doesn't deserve (SH), it's so hard to hate him!

Everything about SH makes you love her, and hope that you can find a friend just as selfless and hardworking as her. Because you feel for her, you end up loving the man she dedicated her life to. Its hard to hated someone (HS) who's love is given and reciprocated by someone who you admire so much as SH.

^-^ Do you get what I'm saying? HAHA, I do hate HS, but I can't hate him, because no matter what he did, I can always find an excuse for his actions; only because SH has given us that excuse and you trust her judgement!

I swear, the story makes you run in circles; do you or don't you hate him/them?

I have the same trouble with Sheren's character, I hated her, but I liked her. But she was so much easier to love than hate. ^-^ She was very humane and raw; sometimes its easier to believe her character exist, more than Amy's!
    I have given up on watching this series since I last discuss this with you. I don't like the main male lead to go MIA for a large portion of the series and how everything goes. I guess I don't like Amy and Steve's type of marriage and how it's so hard for them to be really together. They've spent more time apart than they've ever been together. I just don't like that at all. And all the girls that fall all over Steve's character to ruin Steve and Amy's relationship. ack. I just can't take this type of drama. And you tell me he loses his memory, I throw the TV out the window or just continue to refuse to watch this....this type of drama. It's like every old melodramatic card is played. I just refuse to watch it.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 05-20-09 at 08:11 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Steven did marry someone who is about 21 years younger than him; I never knew who she was until I saw Amy's version of the Yang series: Young Warrior. Steven's wife was the princess of Laos (who married Si Lang, aka Peter Ho).

Personally, I don't mind his marriage to someone so much younger, so I don't see that its a problem, nor was I ever bothered with it. If they're happy, that's fine by me! ^-^ But I do see how it kind of 'weird' you out; I'll admit, I was like that before!

And I thought they had a little girl? But again, I don't really bother searching up those info, I'm not a fan of either partners!
    heyhey... anyone knows where i can watch this series?

Quote Originally Posted by Cristabel View Post
    heyhey... anyone knows where i can watch this series?
    You can find, I believe the Mandarin version, online at TUDOU.com otherwise, I don't know about Cantonese! For Vietnamese version, you can check PhimHongKong.com or other places to DOWNLOAD the series, rather than just watch it! The series is rather too long to post it anywhere to watch from beginning to end! ^.^

HOPE IT HELPED!
    Amy Chan Sau Man and Maggie Cheung Ho Yee 4ever!

$this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/Linh-e-Pooh/AmyChanandKennethChan.jpg'), '')

You can find, I believe the Mandarin version, online at TUDOU.com otherwise, I don't know about Cantonese! For Vietnamese version, you can check PhimHongKong.com or other places to DOWNLOAD the series, rather than just watch it! The series is rather too long to post it anywhere to watch from beginning to end! ^.^

HOPE IT HELPED!
    thanks a lot... i am looking for the cantonese version actually... maybe i will try buying it at speedy. lol. thanks so much!

After being recommended to this series I have finally watched it...and I think it was the best decision I´ve ever made!
    I really love this drama though the japanese war part was so sad. Don´t want Lam Wai to die. He and Sheren are so lovely together.

I think a lot of people will hate me for that but I actually disliked Amy´s character later on. At first, she was so adorable when she used to be the little girl on the farm. However, the more she got `older` the more I disliked her character (too nice, too perfect, not having her own head actually). She does not have the fierce etc that Sheren has and even if she (Amy) was Steve´s official wife, Steve loved Sheren first and did this thing to her so it´s not Sheren´s fault to come into his family.

And Gilbert Lam OMG I love him. Great that he ended up with his true love, really disliked the part when he fell for Amy.

First I hated Maggie for taking away Amy´s husband but like it is not her fault either. I have not finished the whole series yet. I hope she will end up with Huang Zhong Kun (Lok Ping) though.

Steve was....don´t really want to comment om him
    Last edited by akayami djiho; 03-30-10 at 02:15 PM.
    Beautiful and deadly, she is a true descendant of dragon. Fighting for the forces of right and justice, she leaves a series of broken bodies and broken hearts wherever she goes.

i was the opposite, i wanted gilbert to be with amy. grin
    I thought gilbert is so perfect, hiihihi. That's why I loved him in Herione of the Yangs so much.
    i thought sheren was great with lam wai. i passed forward maggie's part

Quote Originally Posted by thythy View Post
    i was the opposite, i wanted gilbert to be with amy. grin
    I thought gilbert is so perfect, hiihihi. That's why I loved him in Herione of the Yangs so much.
    i thought sheren was great with lam wai. i passed forward maggie's part

Yeah, I know he is soo great. Love him in both TGOD and HOTY. Somehow a lot of people did not like Maggie´s parts. I disliked her parts when she was with Ho Sang but when she was with Lok Ping I enjoyed each scene. Sheren is my favourite character in the show.
    Beautiful and deadly, she is a true descendant of dragon. Fighting for the forces of right and justice, she leaves a series of broken bodies and broken hearts wherever she goes.

BEST seriesBEST series This series has been the best out of my tv watching career life. The series itself does not have any boring scenes or wasted scenes, it is very touching and emotional which expresses the values of both traditional and modern society yet it is set at a transitional period in Chinese history. It is a worthwhile product and in terms of cost it is a bargain as to what will be gained by watching this series!Review on baume & mercier classima executive
    Last edited by jahion; 06-10-10 at 05:48 AM.

Just want to say that i saw half of the remake by China and it is terrible. if you love the old one, don't even give the new one a try. It is going to ruin all the happy memories.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Just want to say that i saw half of the remake by China and it is terrible. if you love the old one, don't even give the new one a try. It is going to ruin all the happy memories.
    I'm going to start watching the mainland remake soon, but I'm curious as to how these two series can even be comparable if one is 105 episodes and the other is 32 episodes? Either one has a lot of fluff or the other cuts out a lot of the storyline?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    I'm going to start watching the mainland remake soon, but I'm curious as to how these two series can even be comparable if one is 105 episodes and the other is 32 episodes? Either one has a lot of fluff or the other cuts out a lot of the storyline?
    Well, the neewer one can hardly be called a remake except that it has characters with the same name, story set in the same era and a vague storyline about an amnesic dude with three wives. I was touched by the original version with its 3D development of minor characters and build up of patriotic feeling as the 105 eps move along. I do think that 105 eps is too long but 32 eps is too short.

As far as i watched, they cut all the minor themes and the whole story of the new version is focussed 100% on love and everyone is annoying (especially the women). I got up to ep 16 when I left China and it was already draggy. They even made characters that had no relationship in the original version fall in love! Want to puke! I thought that it would get better with time but it just gets worse. Only watched it for Jackie Lui and boy was his character stuffed!

Hey! I actually enjoyed seeing Ho Man struggle between love for Sau Hau and loyalty to his brother! But they cut that too!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

If they remake the series; I'll be offended! The original is a CLASSIC! It would never make it... Sau Hau IS Amy and Amy is Sau Hau... Same with Ho Nam and Gilbert, Ho Sang and Steven, etc.
    Ho Nam or Ho Man?
    Cyril Connolly

A remake? Please don't mess around with a classic. Just please, remake something else! I will admit that the original one should have stopped after the first two parts. The third part was too draggy and unnecessary. Ho Man's love for his sister-in-law, Sau Hau, was so touching and the hardships he went through with her were so memorable that I felt the story shouldn't have brought in another female (Sau Hau's younger sister) into the Ho Man-Sau Hau relationship. I understand some people want to see Ho Man finally find someone who loved him back, but I prefer that the story and the Ho Man-Sau Hau relationship end on a somewhat bittersweet note. It would have been more memorable that way.

I would have rathered that Ho Man died a single bloke spending his life secretly pining for Sau Hau than end up with Sau Lai. I pity her for her sad past and have nothing against her but she looks megaweird as a couple with Gilbert. No chemistry at all. It all seems like the writers shoved a woman at Ho Man to give everyone a happy ending. It feels awkward. I liked how Man Fung remained a widow reminiscing over her love with Wai Chun Bong and continuing his dream. So why can't Ho Man do the same with Sau Hau? ATV so sexist.

BTW, love Man Fung and Wai Chun Bong!!! Short yet strong! Hate the new version cos there relationship is non-existent! Jackie!
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I would have rathered that Ho Man died a single bloke spending his life secretly pining for Sau Hau than end up with Sau Lai. I pity her for her sad past and have nothing against her but she looks megaweird as a couple with Gilbert. No chemistry at all. It all seems like the writers shoved a woman at Ho Man to give everyone a happy ending. It feels awkward. I liked how Man Fung remained a widow reminiscing over her love with Wai Chun Bong and continuing his dream. So why can't Ho Man do the same with Sau Hau? ATV so sexist.
    Not sexist. Man Fung moved on from Ho Sang to Wai Chun Bong. Ho Man moved on from Sau Hau to Sau Lai. Both moved on once.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Not sexist. Man Fung moved on from Ho Sang to Wai Chun Bong. Ho Man moved on from Sau Hau to Sau Lai. Both moved on once.
    Ho Sang was a jerk. Sau Hau wasn't. As Man Fung said, she and Ho Sang never were really in love. They spent like a few months together and Ho Sang only liked her cos she reminded him of his first love. She liked Ho Sang but Wai Chun Bong was the love of her life and vice versa. You really couldn't say that that Sau Lai was the love of Ho Man's life.

My main problem is that I feel it was just a convenient rushed ending for two single people who were very lonely. They got together in like what eight eps? If it was 8 eps in a 20 eps or 30 eps series, than that's okay. But it was minimal scenes in 8 eps of a 105 ep series. When did they fall in love? The cockroach bit? The suicide bit? And suddenly they want to get married? If they had to do it, at least give a proper development of their relationship. To me Sau Lai was just Sau Hau replacement or the best thing he could get cos all the other girls were either dead or married. Sometimes I feel to some degree he married her out of pity. There is no chemistry because there are not enough scenes for development of chemistry.

Wai Chun Bong and Man Fung are an example of good and spaced out development. It is well planned and touching and not rushed. You can see how they brought out each other's strong points and got over their past failures in their love life.Their storyline was actually woven into the story but Ho Man and Sau Lai's story was like superglued on to the script until something interesting happened.

Fav couple Wai Chun Bong and Man Fung!

Ho Sang and Sau Hau are great but not a balanced relationship in terms or giving and taking. Ho Sang
    Cyril Connolly

Just re-watched the series recently. Still love Amy Chan as Sau Hau to death.
    The series can be divided into 3 parts IMO:
    1. Sau Hau and Ho Sang got married and Ho Sang went to war. The Fong family business went down and was built up by Sau Hau, Ho Man and Man Fung. Ho Sang was thought to die in the war.
    2. Sau Hau, Ho Man and Man Fung continued the family business. Man Fung got separated from others after a fight with Sau Hau about Ho Sang. Ho San came back losing his memory while gaining... uhm... another wife. Ho Sang recovered his memory and Ding Mun left.
    3. Ho Sang and Sau Hau finally had a child. The Japanese war occurred and lots of things happened until the end.
    Of course I loved the first and second parts because Sau Hau was the central character there. Loved every single expression of Sau Hau. Amy Chan was just too good playing Sau Hau. I’ve never seen someone cry as beautiful as Amy. The pain when she had the miscarriage, when Ho Sang died was depicted just too well by Amy Chan. I tried to compare Amy’s acting when Ho Sang died and Sheren’s when Wai Sai Bong died and Amy was by far acting much better than Sheren in the scenes of the same emotions (and I think Sheren was a very good actress already). And the way her tears flowed freely when she was reading Ho Sang’s diary, I’ve never seen anyone do it as well as Amy Chan. Sau Hau was a perfect character for Amy to showcase her talent.
    I'd never enjoyed the third part before because I thought it was draggy. Now I realized it was because Sau Hau wasn't the main character in that part any more. If I considered the 3rd part as another series then it was actually enjoyable. Love how Ding Mun and Man Fung appeared as strong women in this part. Sau Hau seemed too normal and useless because she could only take care of her child and wait for her husband to come home every day. Ho Sang was still as useless as ever. Because he refused to put up the Japanese flag, his family business was closed down and he almost got shot. How stupid was that? Loved it when Sau Hau said to him (the day he came back after their child was sick) “I’m just a normal woman. I need a man by my side when something happens”. I was like “Yeap, you deserved a better (or at least a more useful) man than him”. And when he joined the secret army, it turned out that Ding Mun and Man Fung had to take care of him when he was injured and Sau Hau had to be worried about him every single second. Anyway, I liked this part because it was very well-done in terms of presenting a painful picture of how people struggled to survive during the war.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    Where did you see the remake? Please show me the site. Wow, I'm so excited to see this.

I remember watching this series when I was a child. I thought Ho Sang was the biggest, most annoying jerk ever, and I didn't get why all these women were falling for him left and right. I still think he's a jerk.

That aside, I did enjoy the drama. Amy and Sheren were awesome, and I especially love Sheren's character.