Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Good Old Days

I remember watching this series when I was a child. I thought Ho Sang was the biggest, most annoying jerk ever, and I didn't get why all these women were falling for him left and right. I still think he's a jerk.

That aside, I did enjoy the drama. Amy and Sheren were awesome, and I especially love Sheren's character.

I'm currently rewatching this and enjoy it even more as I'm 'more matured' now :-D
    First I thought Steve was very charming and manly. Anyway, he got quite a jerk lateron even after he returned. I totally comprehend his patriotic feelings but he is the oldest son of the family and just left his wife and family behind. Dont know why Paul was so proud of him while despising Gilbert.
    Gilbert was so funny somehow when he's fighting with all those street hustlers and so on. I'm more the traditional Kind of Person so I didnt want Gilbert anderen Amy to end up with another, but hopefully he found real happiness with Sau Lai ... Steve deserves nothing somehow XD even Lok Ping was more likeable than him although he was awful at First. Totally love Sheren and Lam Wei . Their love seemed more reasonable anderen sincere.

I watched this drama when I was very young..it is indeed the good old days!

A very nice and meaningful drama..

I recently rewatched this because it was showing on ATV. It has been nearly 20 years and I am still in love with Fong Ho Man.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I thought this was a pretty good series, at times it made me cry...

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I thought this was a pretty good series, at times it made me cry...
    I enjoyed the series more before they moved to the city. I thought they really captured the essence of country life in the first part. I cried when Ho Man got rejected by Sau Hau. It is heartbreaking because he is the one who has been fighting alongside her and supporting her every step of the way.

I still don't like Ho Sang but I have to admit that I don't hate him as much I did when I watched it last time. He was forced into an initially loveless marriage by his mother, and then he fell in love with a nice girl when he forgot that he was married. And when he recovered from his amnesia, he had to marry Ding Mun because he already had feelings for her. And he never forced the wives to stay with him and let them go if they wanted to.

But what I still blame him for is sleeping with Man Fung so quickly, without figuring his feelings for her. Was she just a replacement for his first love or did he have genuine feelings for her as a person?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I always thought it was because she look like his gf who had died.
    He was really a jerk in the beginning but open up a bit more to amy right before he left for war and that's when I started to like his character more. I can understand he had a lot of patriotism but felt he sad his family lost half the fortune to rescue him. Yeh I think Gilbert has always been there for her.

I always thought it was because she look like his gf who had died.
    He was really a jerk in the beginning but open up a bit more to amy right before he left for war and that's when I started to like his character more. I can understand he had a lot of patriotism but felt he sad his family lost half the fortune to rescue him. Ye think Gilbert has always been there for her.
    I initially felt bad for him because his family did not understand his patriotism. I don't think it is wrong to defend your country, but he ran off without properly handling his affair with Man Fung and caused all the miserable confusion.

I prefer Ho Man who still loved his country but also saw that his family needed him and made a choice to grow up and be the man of the familt. I feel really bad for Ho Man because he never got things easy.

Ho Sang was the family favourite despite all the conflict he had. He went to war and did what he wanted to and married the women he wanted. He comes back and then becomes the favourite again.

But poor Ho Man. His dad didn't like him and he has no status in the family because his mum was a concubine And people believed he wasnt his dad's kid. He tried to prove himself but everyone keeps comparing him to his perfect but absent brother. The first woman he loved was his brother's wife and the second woman he loved, his family didn't approve.

ah I do remember didn't he get always get in an argument with the dad or the step mom (nam hung) and she died of a heart attack. I feel bad for him. I think the dad kind of blame him or the family got mad at him for it.

I thought Ho sang ended it with man fung when he told her he had to get married not by choice. Then he lost his memory and started a relationship with another girl.

I thought Ho sang ended it with man fung when he told her he had to get married not by choice. Then he lost his memory and started a relationship with another girl.
    In the olden times, you cannot end a relationship if you have slept with a girl. Whether you like it or not, you have to marry her because no one else would and she would be labelled as a ****, which was exactly what happened.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    In the olden times, you cannot end a relationship if you have slept with a girl. Whether you like it or not, you have to marry her because no one else would and she would be labelled as a ****, which was exactly what happened.
    Oh I did not know you had to marry her. But I think man fung had a good ending.
    Kiki Sheung character I thought was very sad....

Oh I did not know you had to marry her. But I think man fung had a good ending.
    Kiki Sheung character I thought was very sad....
    Oh gosh! She was tragic! Got forced to marry an old abusive guy who raped her! Got pregnant, had a son who got snatched by the second wife! Then her husband died, her dad died and she could not get reunited with her lover. Then she had to marry another old man but at least he treated her and her son well! And then she got lost and became a beggar!

I had always thought Kiki was too old for the role, but her acting made up for it. I think she was supposed to be younger than Gilbert who was like 18 at the start of the series.

Did you know Sau Hau's second sister was played by Stephen Au's real life?
    Cyril Connolly

I thought Kiki did good, I don't think she was too old but I don't remember how old the character was suppose to be. Very tragic. The second wife was very evil, try to steal the baby from her.

I did not understand, Sau hau sister is steven au's what?

I thought Kiki did good, I don't think she was too old but I don't remember how old the character was suppose to be. Very tragic. The second wife was very evil, try to steal the baby from her.

I did not understand, Sau hau sister is steven au's what?
    If Gilbert was supposed to be 18, then Kiki was supposed to be 17 or 18. The second wife was a horrid woman. The third wife helped Kiki steal the baby back but refused to leave with Kiki as her daughter was buried there. When the husband found out, the third wife rammed her head into a table and killed herself. She is such a brave woman. If only she had taken second wife with her. But the whole family was killed when the husband lost power.

Sorry. I missed a word. The actress who played Sau Hau's sister, Sau Ling, is Steven's Au's real life wife.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    If Gilbert was supposed to be 18, then Kiki was supposed to be 17 or 18. The second wife was a horrid woman. The third wife helped Kiki steal the baby back but refused to leave with Kiki as her daughter was buried there. When the husband found out, the third wife rammed her head into a table and killed herself. She is such a brave woman. If only she had taken second wife with her. But the whole family was killed when the husband lost power.

Sorry. I missed a word. The actress who played Sau Hau's sister, Sau Ling, is Steven's Au's real life wife.
    oh I had no idea that was steven au's wife. What is steven doing now? It seems like he got very little roles with tvb, the last time I saw him in any series was legend of the demi gods. I thought he was good in a lawyer can be good and witness to prosecution.

ah yes I felt bad for the third wife, she help kiki escape and gave her back the baby but she had to commit suicide.

oh I had no idea that was steven au's wife. What is steven doing now? It seems like he got very little roles with tvb, the last time I saw him in any series was legend of the demi gods. I thought he was good in a lawyer can be good and witness to prosecution.
    Stephen is doing some evangelistic work. He recently visited Melbourne with his wife.

Back to TGOD, I had always wanted to know what had happened to Sau Hau's uncle after he thought Kiki had died.
    Cyril Connolly

I'm not sure, I just remember it being really sad because kiki's father was really against their relationship. I used to be angry with him because if maybe he had run away with her, she won't have suffer so much by the mean husband she was force to marry. But now that I think about it, the way they think back then is different and it would be frown upon to do that.

Back then I was really surprise to see Maggie Siu in this series because I thought she was with TVB.

They actually did run away but got caught by her dad before they could leave on the boat.

Recently found this series on youtube. Lately, they are putting up a lot of ATV series =)