Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I don't like all the current batch of TVB artist.. the ones i like are all gone

That is very true Ginny i mean I use to adore watching TVB like all the time until now when all they show is the same people over and over. They do need to watch out about their future otherwise they r going to go down the drain.

In the TVB series called Twins of Brothers Ron NG played a part of a big softie which really got me uncomfortable and so I just paid mor attention to Raymond and Tavia. Tvb needs to get some of their best actors and actresses back nefore they are doomed.
    Most Favorite TVB Actress:

Tavia Yeung Yi
    &
    Minh Tuyet Fan Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by chupah
    I remember reading that Gordon lam critisized TVB's current policy, he thought that these youngsters are given leading roles way too early. In his opinion an actor needs 10 years of acting experience before he can be given a leading role. By the way TVB were not very happy with Gordon's remarks so i don't think we will be seeing Gordon back at TVB any time soon.
    Gordon Lam has his reason for saying that. He was in TVB for so long before given a leading role. Anybody remember The Final Combat with Stephen Chow? Gordon appeared in the series for about few minutes, he was so young back then.

I myself also don't like the new generation of actors/actresses of TVB so I do not watch any of the new series. However, I can't bring myself to watch any of the Mainland/Taiwan/Korean series. They are a far cry from what we're used to at TVB. I'd rather go back and watch all the older TVB series again. No matter what, I'm still a die-hard TVB fan.

------------------------------
    My favorite actors/actresses:
    Gallen Lo, Kenix Kwok, Louis Koo, Jessica Hsuan, Julian Cheung, Athena Chu, Marco Ngai, Esther Kwan, Ada Choi, Frankie Lam, Eddie Kwan, Gigi Lai
    Last edited by Bang_Nguyet; 10-14-05 at 01:43 PM.

well i remember seeing gordon lam in looking back in anger he was one of felix co workers and i also saw a re-run of city japes 1987, 2 or 3 years ago on tvbs, kinda funny seeing a very young roger kwok, gallen lo, deric wan and there was also an episode with a very young aaron kwok. i guess this shows that alot of actors had to work their butt off to get a leading role back then.
    shin chan

I agree what you guys are saying. In the past, the main actors had a lot of minor roles before reaching their leading roles. I still remember Francis Ng and Bobby Au playing kelefehs. Ada Choi didnt go big till her role in hh1 i believe. Tavia Yeung and Leila Tong are the only ones I know from the females that have acted in alot of minor roles before hitting the big ones. Ella Koon in RDOV is her first role from what I have heard and Elaine Yiu is having a leading role as well. Its worse when its the Ms Hk's taking leading roles aya. I dont mind the new actors and actresses, I just find it unfair for those who have been in the industry longer and hasn't had a better role than their usual.

Generally most of the previous actors/actresses have left tvb to broaden their horizon I guess. You dont expect them to stick with tvb forever, but I would like them to do an occasional series...I dont speak mandarin...
    Currently Watching:
    Good against Evil

Current Favs
    Fav Actor: Roger Kwok
    Fav Actress: Tavia Yeung

I don't think the new artistes are all that bad. I think with time, some of them will be really good. I particularly like Bosco, Leila and Myolie.

Quote Originally Posted by ginnie
    I like cantonese series...

There is still generations of people who grew up watching HK series...so the support for tvb is still going strong. however, for younger generation, they have more choices these days. they don't need to grow up with tvb series because nowadays there are more choices to shop from. tvb need to worry about their future...but right now, they are still getting support from people who are just used to tvb...the support is not because they are good but because of familiarity.
    agree. i would like to point out something, those who are not watching tvb in cantonese or understand cantonese, reading subtitles or watching it in other languages besides cantonese, you absolutely are not able to enjoy it as much as those who understand cantonese. you could judge tvb series according to what production value bla bla bla, but you won't be able to understand and measure the value of the cantonese dialogue. just my opinion.

well i remember seeing gordon lam in looking back in anger he was one of felix co workers and i also saw a re-run of city japes 1987, 2 or 3 years ago on tvbs, kinda funny seeing a very young roger kwok, gallen lo, deric wan and there was also an episode with a very young aaron kwok. i guess this shows that alot of actors had to work their butt off to get a leading role back then..
    Quote Originally Posted by neverland
    I agree what you guys are saying. In the past, the main actors had a lot of minor roles before reaching their leading roles. I still remember Francis Ng and Bobby Au playing kelefehs. Ada Choi didnt go big till her role in hh1 i believe. Tavia Yeung and Leila Tong are the only ones I know from the females that have acted in alot of minor roles before hitting the big ones. Ella Koon in RDOV is her first role from what I have heard and Elaine Yiu is having a leading role as well. Its worse when its the Ms Hk's taking leading roles aya. I dont mind the new actors and actresses, I just find it unfair for those who have been in the industry longer and hasn't had a better role than their usual.
    Different actors have differect luck. Yes, actors like Roger Kwok, Gordan Lam and Aaron Kwok did play a lot of minor roles before becoming big. But there were also actors like Tony Leung and Andy Lau who were given lead/big roles fairly quickly. There were also Ms HK like Maggie Cheung, Tse Ling, Pauline Yeung who were given lead roles from the start. TVB has been doing the same thing and having the same policy from the start. U guys make it sound like the new batch of actors never played any minor roles before getting lead roles, which is not true. All the younger actors have played minor roles that most of u guys probably didn't notice before they were given lead roles. When watching back old series, I have seen both Bosco Wong and Nancy Wu playing minor roles with only 1 line dialog or no dialog before.

Ada Choi was already given major (although not lead) roles from the beginning. Ada won 2nd runner up Miss HK title in 1991 but was already given pretty big roles in 'The Revelation Of The Last Hero' (1992), 'The Link' (1993), was the one of the leading ladies in 'Man of Wisdom' (1993) and was finally given the title role (leading over the main lead) in 'Romance of the White Hair Maiden' in year 1995 (which was 3 years before HH1). All other Fa Dans like Kenix, Flora, Jessica, Marriane Chan get to play major roles very quickly. None of them toil for 10 years before taking lead roles.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-15-05 at 03:59 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Different actors have differect luck. Yes, actors like Roger Kwok, Gordan Lam and Aaron Kwok did play a lot of minor roles before becoming big. But there were also actors like Tony Leung and Andy Lau who were given lead/big roles fairly quickly. There were also Ms HK like Maggie Cheung, Tse Ling, Pauline Yeung who were given lead roles from the start. TVB has been doing the same thing and having the same policy from the start. U guys make it sound like the new batch of actors never played any minor roles before getting lead roles, which is not true. All the younger actors have played minor roles that most of u guys probably didn't notice before they were given lead roles.

Ada Choi was already given major (although not lead) roles from the beginning. Ada won 2nd runner up Miss HK title in 1991 but was already given pretty big roles in 'The Revelation Of The Last Hero' (1992), 'The Link' (1993), was the one of the leading ladies in 'Man of Wisdom' (1993) and was finally given the title role (leading over the main lead) in 'Romance of the White Hair Maiden' in year 1995 (which was 3 years before HH1). All other Fa Dans like Kenix, Flora, Jessica, Marriane Chen get to play major roles very quickly. None of them toil for 10 years before taking lead roles.
    I think the point is, MOST top actor/actresses had to go through kelefe roles, and work their way up to average roles, to supporting roles, then to lead roles. Its the MAJORITY, not the EXCEPTION. You named 3 actors, but there is just way, way many more that falls into that category.

Don't you agree that this new batch of actors have way too many leading roles within the last 2 years, and none of them have more than 3-4 years of acting experience, which is rediculous....

sometimes though young actors in the past fare well in their first few series. although they won't be spectacular..but quite good for first timers.

It boils down to talent and a good script.

I remember Kenix Kwok's first few series...she was already a leading actress since her very first series in TVB after getting third place or something in the beauty pageant. In fact Remembrance is her second series, DIF 1 was filmed when she was still in her second year at TVB.

Amy Kwok also had her first series in Greed of Man?? If it is not her first, it was one of the first few. I think besides her screaming and crying, she did very well for a beginner, fresh from winning 1990 beauty pageant.

Let's see Flora Chan...She was a news reporter, documentary reporter etc before filming her first series with TVB. Her first series was File of Justice 5. I believe she did very good for her first series. Her character, Catherina Au was one of the most memorable in FOJ 5.

I think Jessica Hsuan was also the lead actress opposite Bowie Lam and Alex Fong in Eternity, her first tvb series in early 90s...I don't remember her performance but she was given the opportunity very early on too. Jessica had no acting experience prior..she was "found" through an advertisement...

Let's see..Melissa Ng..Her first series was a minor role in DIF 3 I believe, as an attorney for "Jessie", although a small role but very natural performance. Stable and clear dialogues from Melissa. Another beauty pageant winner turn actress. Melissa is an example of acting smaller roles before getting meatier roles though.

Sheren Tang acted in 倚天屠龙记 not long after she started in tv series...she was also pretty new in it...her rumors with Alex Man helped her a lot with popularity but she still did very well for her second year in tv series.

Ada Choi- pageant again...but this gal started with all the evil characters...like what kidd said...she was lead actress from the very beginning . her first series was with Aaron Kwok as Sheung Sheung...she was good because I still remembr this character till this day.

================================================== ==

OK..I pointed out mostly females..they were quite good from the very beginning and most of them just got better and better with acting.

Let's look at who acted alongside these actresses when they first started:
    Kenix Kwok - Michael Tao , Bowie Lam
    Amy Kwok - Zhen Kong, Lau Ching Wan
    Flora Chan - Michael Tao, Jessica Hsuan
    Jessica Hsuan - Bowie Lam, Alex Fong
    Sheren Tang - Alex Man
    etc etc

All of these actresses acted with a good production, good partner who has reasonable experience. TVB were not putting newbies with newbies. They were mix-matching good actors with new actresses. Plus, production series tend to have more veterans than newbies. Not the other way around. A series is team work and thus, having a good partner that will teach you, help you get into the scene is very helpful for newbies. Jessica Hsuan said in an interview with Bowie Lam - how Bowie helped her act, eventhough Bowie was not actually in the scene, he still stood there to give her help while she act. Kenix Kwok's first series was Catwalk something (Glittering Moments). Again, she has said multiple times in interviews that Michael Tao taught her how to act and helped her a lot. And this happened not only in new series but also in DIF 1-3 series when she has some experience already.

Examples of Tony Leung and Andy Lau...
    --Remember that TVB had acting classes that goes for a year, from 9-5 pm everyday. Tony Leung was from the 1981 batch and Andy was from 1980 batch. They have acted as KaLeFehs before they graduated from TVB school....During school, these TVB students were sent to act as Kalefehs with very minimal pay. TVB also did screening before accepting a particular student to the class.

Year-long classes that were taken so seriously back back then stopped in 1982.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In conclusion, we can't compare fairly between newbies today and newbies back then. I think that it is the combination of poor script, poor management by TVB, and overall production team and acting team that has degraded over time.
    Last edited by ginnie; 10-15-05 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted
    I think the point is, MOST top actor/actresses had to go through kelefe roles, and work their way up to average roles, to supporting roles, then to lead roles. Its the MAJORITY, not the EXCEPTION. You named 3 actors, but there is just way, way many more that falls into that category.

Don't you agree that this new batch of actors have way too many leading roles within the last 2 years, and none of them have more than 3-4 years of acting experience, which is rediculous....
    But, the situation is also the same now. Majority are in the 'wait many years' catagory, while only a few are in the 'become lead actors immediately' catagory. Only a few of the new batch of actors have leading roles after leading roles. The rest of the newbie actors might have to wait as long as Gordon Lam to get the lead. If u really count, the only new batch of actors who get many leading roles is Ron Ng. TVB only started promoting Bosco and Sammul this year and I know Bosco at least have 5 years acting experience while Sammul has at least 6. Kenneth Ma and Lai Lok Yi certainly worked his way up. There are still a whole bunch of young actors who are still working their butt off in minor, average and supporting roles. Ron, Sammul, Ray, Kenneth, Bosco are in the exception category and even in this category most of them have more than 5 years acting experience.

I do agree that there are too many newbie in the actress department who get lead roles too early and too much. TVB should let them have more acting experience first before promoting them. But again, as I say in the previous post, this has always been TVB's policy. Kenix get lead role in her first series. The other Miss HK winners also get big supporting roles in their first few outings.

But somehow, when the older actors' fans are complaining about the younger actors, they always seem to forget that their favourite ex-Miss HK actress also get big roles from the start and ignore the fact that the newer actors have also gone through ke-le-fe and support roles before they become lead actors. The most rediculous claim is the TVB 5 top Fan Dans all work their way up for many years before becoming big, which is so not true.

The thing is TVB can't keep on using the old actors only and the old actors themselves also don't want to make so many series a year and are very choosy about scripts. What do u want TVB to do? Promoting new actors is their only action.

Attachment to actors u grow up with did play some role in the older viewers prefering the 90's actors. This is from personal experience. I didn't grow up watching TVB series, because my Dad don't like my family wasting money renting long series. I only get to watch whatever TVB series shown on TV. And since at those time, there are only 1 or 2 channels showing TVB series in 1 time slot. It was very few. But my uncle used to own an ATV series video store. So, I got to see free ATV series. Until now, even after I've watch a lot of TVB series, I still prefer the duller lighting of ATV series while frequent TVB viewers can't stand this duller lighting. My favourite actors now are still mostly ATV or ex-ATV actors with 1 or 2 younger TVB actors (since I watch more TVB series now).

sometimes though young actors in the past fare well in their first few series. although they won't be spectacular..but quite good for first timers.

It boils down to talent and a good script.

I remember Kenix Kwok's first few series...she was already a leading actress since her very first series in TVB after getting third place or something in the beauty pageant. In fact Remembrance is her second series, DIF 1 was filmed when she was still in her second year at TVB.

Amy Kwok also had her first series in Greed of Man?? If it is not her first, it was one of the first few. I think besides her screaming and crying, she did very well for a beginner, fresh from winning 1990 beauty pageant.

Let's see Flora Chan...She was a news reporter, documentary reporter etc before filming her first series with TVB. Her first series was File of Justice 5. I believe she did very good for her first series. Her character, Catherina Au was one of the most memorable in FOJ 5.

I think Jessica Hsuan was also the lead actress opposite Bowie Lam and Alex Fong in Eternity, her first tvb series in early 90s...I don't remember her performance but she was given the opportunity very early on too. Jessica had no acting experience prior..she was "found" through an advertisement...

Let's see..Melissa Ng..Her first series was a minor role in DIF 3 I believe, as an attorney for "Jessie", although a small role but very natural performance. Stable and clear dialogues from Melissa. Another beauty pageant winner turn actress. Melissa is an example of acting smaller roles before getting meatier roles though.

Sheren Tang acted in 倚天屠龙记 not long after she started in tv series...she was also pretty new in it...her rumors with Alex Man helped her a lot with popularity but she still did very well for her second year in tv series.

Ada Choi- pageant again...but this gal started with all the evil characters...like what kidd said...she was lead actress from the very beginning . her first series was with Aaron Kwok as Sheung Sheung...she was good because I still remembr this character till this day.

================================================== ==

OK..I pointed out mostly females..they were quite good from the very beginning and most of them just got better and better with acting.

Sheren Tang - Alex Man
    etc etc

All of these actresses acted with a good production, good partner who has reasonable experience. TVB are not putting newbies with newbies. They are mix-matching good actors with new actresses. Plus, production series tend to have more veterans than newbies. Not the other way around. A series is team work and thus, having a good partner that will teach you, help you get into the scene is very helpful for newbies. Jessica Hsuan said in an interview with Bowie Lam - how Bowie helped her act, eventhough Bowie was not actually in the scene, he still stood there to give her help while she act. Kenix Kwok's first series was Catwalk something (Glittering Moments). Again, she has said multiple times in interviews that Michael Tao taught her how to act and helped her a lot. And this happened not only in new series but also in DIF 1-3 series when she has some experience already.

Examples of Tony Leung and Andy Lau...
    --Remember that TVB has acting classes that goes for a year, from 9-5 pm everyday. Tony Leung was from the 1981 batch and Andy was from 1980 batch. They have acted as KaLeFehs before they graduated from TVB school....During school, these TVB students are sent to act as Kalefehs with very minimal pay. TVB also did screening before accepting a particular student to the class.

Year-long classes that were taken so seriously back back then stopped in 1982.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In conclusion, we can't compare fairly between newbies today and newbies back then. I think that it is the combination of poor script, poor management by TVB, and overall production team and acting team that has degraded over time.
    I have nothing to say. The argument you presented is very reasonable and supported with concrite facts. So, can't argue with that.

At least before they knew which Ms Hk's to promote. Now its like if you are a winner, your gonna get a main role. I wont be suprise if Kate Tsui will have a leading role soon. Kenix didnt get a place and neither did Maggie. Ada only came third if I remember correctly. Amy Kwok is an exception. I guess, but all those actresses have as someone said before worked with others who had experience.
    Currently Watching:
    Good against Evil

Current Favs
    Fav Actor: Roger Kwok
    Fav Actress: Tavia Yeung

Sheren Tang - Alex Man
    etc etc

All of these actresses acted with a good production, good partner who has reasonable experience. TVB were not putting newbies with newbies. They were mix-matching good actors with new actresses. Plus, production series tend to have more veterans than newbies. Not the other way around. A series is team work and thus, having a good partner that will teach you, help you get into the scene is very helpful for newbies. Jessica Hsuan said in an interview with Bowie Lam - how Bowie helped her act, eventhough Bowie was not actually in the scene, he still stood there to give her help while she act. Kenix Kwok's first series was Catwalk something (Glittering Moments). Again, she has said multiple times in interviews that Michael Tao taught her how to act and helped her a lot. And this happened not only in new series but also in DIF 1-3 series when she has some experience already.
    I never thought of this but you make a very good point with the actor/actress pairing. What's ironic is that those actors you mentioned Michael Tao, Bowie Lam, Lau Ching Wan, and Zeng Kong spent a significant amount of time in series playing kelefe and small roles in the begginging of their career.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    But, the situation is also the same now. Majority are in the 'wait many years' catagory, while only a few are in the 'become lead actors immediately' catagory. Only a few of the new batch of actors have leading roles after leading roles. The rest of the newbie actors might have to wait as long as Gordon Lam to get the lead. If u really count, the only new batch of actors who get many leading roles is Ron Ng. TVB only started promoting Bosco and Sammul this year and I know Bosco at least have 5 years acting experience while Sammul has at least 6. Kenneth Ma and Lai Lok Yi certainly worked his way up. There are still a whole bunch of young actors who are still working their butt off in minor, average and supporting roles. Ron, Sammul, Ray, Kenneth, Bosco are in the exception category and even in this category most of them have more than 5 years acting experience.
    This might be new to me but what acting experience did those guys have prior to 01-02?

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted
    This might be new to me but what acting experience did those guys have prior to 01-02?
    I can't pinpoint to you all the series where they have played ke-le-fe roles, because I have a picture of them in my mind but I cannot remember in which series. So, I'll only tell you the one I remember.

Kenneth Ma : He said himself in the Superman interview that he has worked with TVB for 5 years. That interview was held in 2005 when the series 'Scavenger's Paradise' was airing in HK. The earliest series I have seen him in is 'Thread Of Love 1/Loving You 1' (2000). He has only 1 scene and no dialog. After that I frequently saw him as police officers, SDU sqaud members etc. Graduated from TVB acting class, but I dunno which batch (can anyone tell me so I could calculate Lai Lok Yi's year of entry)?.

Bosco Wong : The earliest series I saw him in was 'Lost In Love' (2000). That was also a no dialog 1 scene role. Some people also say he has a short speaking scene in 'The Awakening Story' (2001). He was also in Burning Flame 2 (2002) as one of the members of Wong Hei's diving team and of course 'Triumph in the Skies' which was aired in 2003 but started filming 2 years earlier.

Sammul Chan: I first saw him in a movie call 'The Young Ones' which was released in 1999. He played a major supporting role in that movie. He also appeared in another movie called 'Shadow'(2001). Of course, we later also saw him in 'The White Flame' (2002) and 'Reaching Out' (2001). The rest you know.

Ron Ng : The earliest series I have seen him in is 'Golden Faith'(2002) and 'Burning Flame 2'(2002). We also know he was in 'Triumph in the Skies' which started filming in 2001.

Lai Lok Yi : I have seen him in a lot of ke-le-fe roles, but can't pinpoint any, except Seed of Hope'(2003) and 'Blade Heart' which although aired in 2004, but was filmed way earlier. Lai Lok Yi himself said he has played a lot of ke-le-fe roles before being given prominant roles. Have also talk about his experience as front line soldiers in one interview. Graduated from TVB 18th Drama Training Class.

This is all I can give you. I really would like to show you more proof, but I can't possibly go and rent all the old series to check up all the ke-le-fe, minor, and supporting roles these guys have played. I hope this is proof enough for you. I will go check up any chinese website of Lai Lok-Yi and see whether there is a record of series he played in pre-2001 or not.

Again, I repeat. These guys are in the Exception group like the one Tony and Andy used to be in. There are also actors like Oscar Chan, Jack Wu, Matt Yeung, Cheung Chung Chi, Eddie Lee, Sam Chan, Lam Yuen Ying, Chan San Chung, the guy who played Myolie's friend in WOTIL, the rest of the actors who played the 10 brothers, Dou Dai Wai, Ngor Ka-Nin, Zack Koo that are still playing supporting roles. They are most probably in the Majority group that Gordan Lam and Michael Tao used to be in. Anyway, I'm even sure whether Roger Kwok was in the 'wait 10 years' group or not. He was already playing lead roles very early on in his career. At that time people like Yammie Lam and Sheren Teng were still very young and were part of TVB Fa Dans.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-18-05 at 07:03 AM.

Lok Yi graduated from TVB 18TH acting class

Lok Yi graduated from TVB 18TH acting class
    When is 18th Acting Class? What year?

When is 18th Acting Class? What year?
    He was in 2003 class. The classes was shortened to three months.

I can't pinpoint to you all the series where they have played ke-le-fe roles, because I have a picture of them in my mind but I cannot remember in which series. So, I'll only tell you the one I remember.

Kenneth Ma : He said himself in the Superman interview that he has worked with TVB for 5 years. That interview was held in 2005 when the series 'Scavenger's Paradise' was airing in HK. The earliest series I have seen him in is 'Thread Of Love 1/Loving You 1' (2000). He has only 1 scene and no dialog. After that I frequently see ect police officers, SDU sqaud members etc. Graduated from TVB acting class, but I dunno which batch (can anyone tell me so I could calculate Lai Lok Yi's year of entry)?.

Bosco Wong : The earliest series I saw him in was 'Lost In Love' (2000). That was also a no dialog 1 scene role. Some people also say he has a short speaking scene in 'The Awakening Story' (2001). He was also in Burning Flame 2 (2002) as one of the members of Wong Hei's diving team and of course 'Triumph in the Skies' which was aired in 2003 but started filming 2 years earlier.

Sammul Chan: I first saw him in a movie call 'The Young Ones' which was released in 1999. He played a major supporting role in that series. He also appeared in another movie called 'Shadow'(2001). Of course, we later also see him in 'The White Flame' (2002) and 'Reaching Out' (2001). The rest you know.

Ron Ng : The earliest series I have seen him in is 'Golden Faith'(2002) and 'Burning Flame 2'(2002). We also know he was in 'Triumph in the Skies' which started filming since 2001.

Lai Lok Yi : I have seen him in a lot of ke-le-fe roles, but can't pinpoint any, except Seed of Hope'(2003) and 'Blade Heart' which although aired in 2004, but was filmed way earlier. Lai Lok Yi himself said he has played a lot of ke-le-fe roles before being given prominant roles. Have also talk about his experience as front line soldiers in one interview. Graduated from TVB 18th Drama Training Class.

This is all I can give you. I really would like to show you more proof, but I can't possibly go and rent all the old series to check up all the ke-le-fe, minor, and supporting roles these guys have played. I hope this is proof enough for you. I will go check up any chinese website of Lai Lok-Yi and see whether there is a record of series he played in pre-2001 or not.

Again, I repeat. These guys are in the Exception group like the one Tony and Andy used to be in. There are also actors like Oscar Chan, Jack Wu, Matt Yeung, Chan Chung Ji, Eddie Lee, Sam Chan, Lam Yuen Ying, Chan San Chung, the guy who played Myolie's friend in WOTIL, the rest of the actors who played the 10 brothers, Dou Dai Wai, Ngor Ka-Nin, Zack Koo that are still playing supporting roles. They are most probably in the Majority group that Gordan Lam and Michael Tao used to be in. Anyway, I'm even sure whether Roger Kwok was in the 'wait 10 years' group or not. He was already playing lead roles very early on in his career. At that time people like Yammie Lam and Sheren Teng were still very young and were part of TVB Fa Dans.
    Wow, I have seen most if not all of those series and I don't remember those guys being in there. I guess you have to watch them multiple times. I don't remember Roger Kwok playing any minor roles at all. He has always been lead to me, maybe thats part of the reason why I was never a fan of his acting in the 80s and 90s. I have grown to enjoy his acting though, he's a good actor.

I do not know exactly how Roger Kwok's career went but from what i heard (correct me if i am wrong) his career was with ups and downs his first serie was a minor role in 1987 in City Japes than he had some other minor roles before he shared the limelight with Dicky Cheung in Mystery of the Twin swords, than a few years nothing mentionable played a villain in the serie instinct 1995. From 1996 till 1998 i did not see one serie with roger in it before he suddenly appeared in 1999 in DIF4.

I think its fair to say that Roger was not TVB first tier actor for 16/17 years until the succes of square pegs in 2003. Whereas the newbies actors are already first tier actors after 3 or 4 years of experience, that is judging from TVB's artist list and where they stand during the anniversary stuff.
    shin chan

I do not know exactly how Roger Kwok's career went but from what i heard (correct me if i am wrong) his career was with ups and downs his first serie was a minor role in 1987 in City Japes than he had some other minor roles before he shared the limelight with Dicky Cheung in Mystery of the Twin swords, than a few years nothing mentionable played a villain in the serie instinct 1995. From 1996 till 1998 i did not see one serie with roger in it before he suddenly appeared in 1999 in DIF4.

I think its fair to say that Roger was not TVB first tier actor for 16/17 years until the succes of square pegs in 2003. Whereas the newbies actors are already first tier actors after 3 or 4 years of experience, that is judging from TVB's artist list and where they stand during the anniversary stuff.
    Roger did not only lead in 'Mystery of the Twin Swords'. In fact, 'Mystery of the Twin Swords' was not even his first leading role series. He has already played lead roles years before 'Mystery of the Twin Swords'. I remember watching him the first time in a series called 'Ying Dan Chuen Kei' where he was the lead. Even the series title was named after his character. Then he also played lead in The 'Vixen's Tale series' with the young Yammie Lam and Sheren Teng, an ancient comedy series with Alvina Kong Yan Yin, 'The Stake' with Gigi Lai and played Dik Wai (main character) in the Jin Yong adaptation 'Lin Shing Keut'. There are many more series where he was the leading man. Roger was the first tier actor back then in the late 80's and early 90's. Another actress who lead very early in her carreer is Nnadia Chan. She was already playing lead role in her 2nd series when she was only 19 years old (she did act in a few young people movies before that though).
    Last edited by kidd; 10-16-05 at 09:41 PM.