Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You Tan Zhi is the only real man in the JY Universe

I can just picture some land-dwelling whale blogger politically correct catholic extremist feminazi furiously typing that essay at 2am with her two cats on one knee and two super sized Maccas with freedom fries on the other.

hey kidd and huangyushi, any great idea/speculation why end as a cliffhanger?
    Because JY ran out of ideas.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    hey kidd and huangyushi, any great idea/speculation why end as a cliffhanger?
    So we can decide for ourselves how the story should end. Instead of debating endlessly about why a Hu Fei did x, JY gave us the opportunity to debate endlessly what Hu Fei would do.

Pity no one really talks much about Flying Fox on Snowy Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01
    Perhaps the lesser-known/popular novels are the territory of the die-hards ... as we can probably tell from reading one another's posts after a while...

Snowy Mountain was one of the first JY novels I read, and I really enjoyed it. But this is not exactly the thread to talk about it...
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    Perhaps the lesser-known/popular novels are the territory of the die-hards ... as we can probably tell from reading one another's posts after a while...

Snowy Mountain was one of the first JY novels I read, and I really enjoyed it. But this is not exactly the thread to talk about it...
    True, my apologies for going OT.

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01
    I reckon it's because most people think that Hu Fei is a wanker. I like the rest of that story though. Those shorter JY novels are really for die hard fans. :-)

Can we get back to discussing the feminazi's view on manhood?

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

You know, it's kinda disturbing that the writer faults Yang Guo for not jumping after Xiao Long Nu.

Yeah, it's kinda touching and romantic to read about such deep love that a couple will choose to die with together. But faulting a character for not doing so and calling him not a real man because of that is, as I said before, disturbing. I doesn't matter that he pines for her for 16 years and finally jump when he thought she's really dead. The guy must jump immediately!!

Actually what the writer wrote is that YG is a coward for hesitating and not jump down immediately, thus giving HR time to cook up the 'Southern Sea Nun' lie. Even though he did jump 16 years later, he still cannot be compared to You Tan Zhi.

Btw, what is 苟且偷生?
    Last edited by kidd; 10-12-05 at 08:18 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Hey, there is also another article on the same site that is a reply to the 真男人唯游坦之一人而已 article.

Here it is : 真男人唯游坦之一人而已?
    Last edited by kidd; 10-12-05 at 08:48 AM.

I don't necessarily share the author's views, but I must admit it would be VERY NICE to have someone obsess over me like that haha, how fun life would be... I wouldn't even have to lift a finger all my life. I can just order him around ;p However, this makes You Tan Zhi the best slave in Jin Yong, not necessarily the 'only man'.

苟且偷生 is something like, umm, cowardly living on while someone close to you has died. I suck at explaining, Huang Yushi please take over

Quote Originally Posted by xuelian
    I don't necessarily share the author's views, but I must admit it would be VERY NICE to have someone obsess over me like that haha, how fun life would be... I wouldn't even have to lift a finger all my life.
    I think you may want to read up on a few biographies of serial killers.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    I think you may want to read up on a few biographies of serial killers.
    It's interesting that you say that. If, say, You Tan Zhi had the chance to continue his obsession over Ah Zi, would he eventually have killed her out of depression/insanity/whatever?

wow, this is interesting. you tanzi loves ahzi deeply and unconditionally, i guess most girls would be touched. but to subject himself to all sort of torture and abuses from someone who didnt in the least bit return his affection ? thats just plain moronic. she slapped an iron mask on his face, treats him worst than an animal, makes him stick his head in a lions cage for her amusement and whips him, then poisons him so she can learn hua gong da fa. the disturbing thing is that he does all these willingly. + he gives her his eyes, only to have it thrown back at him. wtf ?? u call that a real man ?? this guy has less pride than pansy boy duanyu

Quote Originally Posted by xuelian
    I don't necessarily share the author's views, but I must admit it would be VERY NICE to have someone obsess over me like that haha, how fun life would be... I wouldn't even have to lift a finger all my life. I can just order him around ;p However, this makes You Tan Zhi the best slave in Jin Yong, not necessarily the 'only man'.
    Provided you actually like that guy.

Btw, what is 苟且偷生?
    苟且偷生means to live on for the sake of surviving even if it means forsaking one's honor, integrity, etc. To use an extreme example, he who surrenders to oppression rather than stand up and fight is he who 苟且偷生s.

I didn't notice that rebuttal. To his credit, the guy was much more polite than I would have been. The original writer's original premise was insane, and she does nothing to back herself up except knock male characters for not kissing the ground that female characters' walk on.

That page overall seems to contain a reputable collection of commentaries, I am surprised why it included the YTZ essay. I have only read a few, but except for this YTZ essay, the others are well thought out and mostly cogent. There is one on the psychology of Guo Jing and his difference of attitude toward OYF and HYS that is pretty interesting. The writer proposes that GJ subconsciously identifies with OYF. I recommend it if anyone wants to read it.
    This account is retired.

Anyone cares to translate some of those more sensical essays?

You would be a saint in my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    That page overall seems to contain a reputable collection of commentaries, I am surprised why it included the YTZ essay. I have only read a few, but except for this YTZ essay, the others are well thought out and mostly cogent. There is one on the psychology of Guo Jing and his difference of attitude toward OYF and HYS that is pretty interesting. The writer proposes that GJ subconsciously identifies with OYF. I recommend it if anyone wants to read it.
    I think that site collect all commentaries with decent length irregardless of how unusual the commentaries are. I think it's good that the site included articles like the YTZ essay. Her idea is out of the box, but this way, we got the chance to read a lot of different perspective in which readers view JY novels.

Since my chinese is 有限公司, I only managed to struggle through 1 other article i.e 无名之侠-石破天. The article is quite interesting. The writer proposes that SPT is the 'Hero of Buddhism' [佛家之侠]. He/she also mentions that Guo Jing is the 'Hero of Confucianism' [儒家之侠]. But he/she doesn't elaborate on it since the article is about SPT.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-15-05 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Since my chinese is 有限公司
    Lol, I think you should leave out the 公司 (company) part out of these words.

有限公司 = Limited liability company (which can also be denoted by L.L.C. or LLC).

Quote Originally Posted by Hanky Panky
    Lol, I think you should leave out the 公司 (company) part out of these words.

有限公司 = Limited liability company (which can also be denoted by L.L.C. or LLC).
    No, I purposely put it there. This is a phrase cantonese people sometimes use to mean 'limited'.

Sounds like Hong Kong slang to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanky Panky
    Sounds like Hong Kong slang to me.
    Maybe the phrase, or slang as u prefer to call it, did originate from Hong Kong, but it was use to mean 'limited' in unofficial dialog elsewhere too. You can say it's HK series influence, but it was use outside HK. It's same like how english speaking people say "I feel like a broken radio" (translation: no one listens to me). This is not a traditional idiom/proverb, but it was used a lot in converstion.

Btw, I know what 有限公司 means. Hard not to know when u see this word in so many signboards.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-16-05 at 03:47 AM.

Btw, I know what 有限公司 means. Hard not too know when u see this word in so many signboards.
    In no way was I insulting your intelligence. I just find it hard to accept that phrase being used in conversation, it just doesn’t sound right. Unless the phrase has been conventional as of late and I’ve been residing in a cardboard box.

From my point of view:

我既中文有限公司
    Ngoh geh jungman yauhaan gungsi : sounds weird.

本人的中文有限公司
    Benren de zhongwen youhen gongsi: I don’t think I need to dispute that this won’t turn up in the conversation of a Mandarin speaker.