Thread: Wuxia Authors other than Jing Yong and Gu Long?

Default Wuxia Authors other than Jing Yong and Gu Long?

Why everyone only talks about Jin Yong's and Gu Long's work (with other authors' popping up once in a blue moon) here? Is the other wuxia writers' work really that bad?

Any recommendation of good wuxia stories by other authors?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Huang Yi's works are not bad... Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan, Fan Yun Fu Yu, and Xun Qin Ji is really a good read... not really sure about Liang Yu Sheng's works though... only read his White haired maiden story... don't know if its nice...

liang yu sheng is not bad. i read his white hair maiden and seven swords. it is quite gd except that it has too much of history in his book

Huang Yi's older novels (A Step to the Past/Xun Qin Ji, Cloud and Rain/Fu Yu Fan Yun, etc.) have loads of "inappropriate marterials" in them, that's why I don't like them very much, despite their good plot. Twin of Brothers/Da Tang Shuan Long Zhuan, on the other hand, keeps the "inappropirateness" at a minimum, and the story is really good.

I've read a few of Liang Yu Sheng's novels. Basically speaking, they are almost identical to Jin Yong's novels in terms of characters and moral values expressed. They tend to get boring after a while, but I still like them quite a lot.

What about Wo Long Sheng [臥龍生] and Wen Rui An [溫瑞安]?

Wo Long Shen is the writer of Xin Xian He Shen Zhen [新仙鶴神針] while Wen Rui An is the writer of Jing Yan Yi Qiang [驚豔一槍].

Btw, why are all the recommended novels here TVB/movie adaptations? Don't you guys read anything that have not been adapted into movie/series?
    Last edited by kidd; 10-15-05 at 02:04 AM.

Can u tell me more about those two authors and their works pls?

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Can u tell me more about those two authors and their works pls?
    Are u talk to me? Sorry, can't tell u anything about 臥龍生 and 溫瑞安 because I know nothing about them and have never read their books. 仙鶴神針 and 驚豔一槍 are both TV adaptations. That's how I know about these two writers, because I go and look up who wrote the original story of the above mentined adaptations.

But I've look them up for u. Here are their works and their mini biographies.

Wo Long Shen : http://www.oklink.net/zjzj/030.htm
    卧龙生

作者简介:

台湾武侠“四大天王”及“三剑客”之一,在古龙之前被称为“武侠泰斗”。本名牛鹤亭,河南镇庭人,1930 年生。幼年从军失学,但自幼喜读武侠小说,颇有才思。他1955年由军中退役,闲来无事,在友人怂恿下开始 学写武侠小说。1957年以祖居南阳卧龙岗取笔名《卧龙生》一炮打响。1959年《飞燕惊龙》出世,便奠定 了他在台湾的“武侠泰斗”地位。他的作品,早期是取法于旧武侠“北派五大家”而以“通俗趣味”大受欢迎;1 965年以后,改走“半传统半新潮”路线,作品却渐不如前。
      卧龙生对武侠小说发展的贡献,主要有三个方面:第一,他成功地运用了还珠楼主的神禽异兽、灵丹妙药、玄 功绝艺、奇门阵法,郑证因的帮会组织、风尘怪杰、独门兵器,王度庐的悲剧侠情,朱贞木的奇诡布局、众女倒追 男等等,成功地博采众长而融于一体,开创了既具有传统风味又具有新境界的新时期武侠小说风格,成为一代“武 林正宗”。第二,由他倡导以武学秘籍引起武林风波以及正邪大会战的情节结构,成为60年代台湾武侠的普遍模 式,影响至为深远。第三,他的“武林九大门派”说法和“争霸江湖”及武林排名的主题,虽然稍晚于金庸的《射 雕英雄传》,却使它在武侠小说中普遍推行开来。
      卧龙生小说真品如下:
    《风尘侠隐》《惊鸿一剑震江湖》《飞燕惊龙》《铁笛神针》《玉钗盟》《天香飙》《无名箫》《绛雪玄霜》《素 手劫》《天涯情侣》《天剑绝刀》《金剑雕翎》《神州豪侠传》《寒梅傲霜》《玉手点将录》《金凤剪》《飞铃》 《八荒飞龙传》《无形剑》《金笔点龙记》《烟锁江湖》《摇花放鹰传》《花凤》《春秋笔》《幽灵四绝》《剑无 痕》《天龙甲》《黑白剑》《飞花逐月》《剑气洞彻九重天》《金剑丹心》《新仙鹤神针》
    Wen Rui An: http://www.wenyi.com/literature/wuxia/wra.htm
    温瑞安小传

温瑞安笔名有温凉玉、舒侠舞、王山而、项飞梦、温晚、柳眉色、风玲草等。

一九五四年一月一日,出生於马来西亚霹雳州美罗埠火车头。

一九五九年尚未入学,已开始念遍家藏书,写第一部以少量文字作为说明的连环图故事:「三只驴子」。尝试 用所知的少量文字写信、作文、日记。
      一九六一年小学一年级。因怕生,抵死不肯上课,故由姊姊陪同上学,并要其姊留在课室外不去,足有一年半 。年来未交一友,未离开过课堂一步,得全第一名,七科平均九十九分,极得教师疼爱,曾罚站一次,已引为耻大 辱,毕生难忘。至次年始「性情大变」。在班上极其活跃,成为班上的锋头人物。
      一九六三年当选级长及全校模范生。开始以班上同学为正邪人物,撰写自绘插画的长篇小说「龙虎风云录」, 致使全校高低年班同学争相传闻:看自己「如何下场」。次年开始每天讲述武侠长篇「血河车」等故事,有过一口 气讲八小时而放学後又讲八小时之纪录。同年,第一首诗发表於香港「世界儿童」,诗名「月亮」,八行,由温执 笔,结义兄弟廖雁平「出资」(邮费)投稿,故发表时写名两人「合着」。

一九六五至六六年正式建立「刚击道集团」,兼修文武。在各种儿童、少年刊物杂志上发表作品无数。办校内 、校外文艺活动极频。升初中一,转校至中华中学,在功课压力沉重之馀,创办日後足足办了十三年的「绿洲期刊 」。并正式在马来西亚极具份量的文艺刊物「学生周报」上频密发表作品。

一九六八至七零年以初二之龄,在校际辩论赛中击败高中三年班对手,并协助高年班同学执编「华中月刊」。 得班上导师黄因明支持,及兄长温任平勉励下,两年内举辨活动无数,推动各类文艺风气。写成长篇文艺爱情小说 :「偶然」。

一九七一至七二年华文学校停办高中课程,考上高中,转至巫、英文为主、各族子弟共处的综合中学,在学校 力争开授华文课程。其时开始在新马文坛重要文学刊物「蕉风」及「学报」频密发表作品,专攻现代诗、纯散文及 新批评,并开始为外间刊物执编「诗专号」、「评论专号」。同年举办「月光会」、「满天星斗」大会等。开始矢 力苦修美学、精神分析学,同年,与「绿林分社」怡保区负责人方娥真(寥湮)相识,从此相知连袂十六年。开始 在台湾「中国时报」、「现代文学杂志」、「纯文学月刊」、各诗刊发表作品,并在香港「武侠春秋」发表武侠小 说。

一九七三年正式创办「天狼星诗社」,一年内扩充成十大分社,镇日奔波於联络组合,推动文学风气,但仍不 忘写作,(逾万字纯散文「龙哭千里」及小说「凿痕」和逾一千四百行的长诗「图腾」四部曲等),习武(举办武 术比赛)。在台湾「中外文学」、「幼狮文艺」、「中华文艺」等刊物密集发表作品,以诗及散文为主。年底赴台 深造。出版第一部个人诗集:「将军令」。在台举办「五方文学座谈会」,半工半读,并为筹钱办「天狼星诗刊」 而写武侠小说(「四大名捕会京师」便是当时作品)。

一九七六至八零年於福隆大聚创办「神州诗社」,以「发扬民族精神,复兴中华文化」为己任。八零年九月二 十五日深夜与方娥真遭扣押解在军法处监狱後遭遗送出境。

一九八一年温、方二人蒙上这种不白之冤,使得在新马老家也杯弓蛇影、风声鹤泪,无法久留,从此开始逃亡 的颠沛岁月、苦不堪言。年中,「逃亡」达香港,适逢港府收紧移民政策,数度申请,皆告失败,赴台亦予严拒。 年底,方终得以海外雇员身份留港。温依然飘泊流浪,温氏武侠「神州奇侠」、「血河车」等重要作品,已在明报 日报、明报晚报连载发表并出书。

一九八三年下半年,「亚视」招揽温氏为「创作经理」。年底,几经波折,屡遭突变,终於批准来港居留。同 年开始在「无线电视」附属机构「博益」出版社出书,武侠作品亦终在台由「万盛」重印推出。作品「四大名捕会 京师」及「神相李布衣」在亚洲电视开拍。武侠作品及剧本屡为电影公司改编推出。

一九八五至八六年长篇小说在香港「东方日报」连载,并在同一报上连写三个小说专栏。写作「量」之全盛期 ,在新马港台美加泰等地手上每月(周、日)有十八个专栏及连载撰写。武侠系列开始在香港「敦煌」出版,并在 台湾「时报周刊」连载。次年始,在武侠创作上始创「超新派」笔路,流风所及影响甚巨。

一九八七年成为「香港作家协会」及「香港艺术家联盟」之会员。武侠小说译成韩文於韩国报刊连载并出书。 同年,武侠小说「杀了你好吗」於台湾最畅销报刊「联合报」副刊连载,此为「现代派武侠」创作之一大始点。是 年起「四大名捕会京师」等作品亦在中国大陆连续出版。

一九八八年台湾中视推出剧集「四大名捕会京师」。是年起之三年内,在台各大报刊刊登或连载作品,均为刊 登频密度最高者。并在台最大报刊之一的「中国时报」人间版长期连载武侠小说:「刀丛里的诗」,及在「联合报 」缤纷版频频发表「现代派武侠」精品。年底,在港(「自由人」)台(「皇冠」)同时同步推山全面创新的「温 瑞安(超新派)武侠」周刊,出版十二至十六集不等,引起热(激)烈反应。在港成立「自成一派合 作社」。

一九九零至九八年致力发展中国市场,大部份时间留驻中国。最新着作「打老虎」、「捕老鼠」、「猿猴月」 於九七年中由香港皇冠出版社推出。不少新作仍在创作中。
    Last edited by kidd; 10-15-05 at 02:22 AM.

Who wrote Tian Can Bian?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    Who wrote Tian Can Bian?
    It's by someone called Huang Ying [黃鷹/黄鹰].

Haha, any chance of a synopsis in english?

Tian Can Bian = Reincarnated? Srry, not familiar with Manderin.

Who wrote the stories about Sit Yan Quai and Sit Ting San?

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted
    Who wrote the stories about Sit Yan Quai and Sit Ting San?
    I think those are legends. Dunno whether it's based on real life people or not though.
    The series about them is like the Yang Family series and the Justice Bao series. They are not wuxia novel adaptations, but based on folk legends.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-15-05 at 10:54 AM.

So, no other recommendation?

Ok, thanks to everyone who has given their feedback and recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by AresInvincible
    I've read a few of Liang Yu Sheng's novels. Basically speaking, they are almost identical to Jin Yong's novels in terms of characters and moral values expressed. They tend to get boring after a while, but I still like them quite a lot.
    I heard LYS's novels are more female-centric, i.e. he wrote more complex female characters and his stories are more focus on the heroine. Is it true?

Yeah, in some of his stories, females are the main protagonists.

Huang Yi's older novels (A Step to the Past/Xun Qin Ji, Cloud and Rain/Fu Yu Fan Yun, etc.) have loads of "inappropriate marterials" in them, that's why I don't like them very much, despite their good plot. Twin of Brothers/Da Tang Shuan Long Zhuan, on the other hand, keeps the "inappropirateness" at a minimum, and the story is really good.
    yeah, can't stand those parts. i like da tang too, the setup of the 2 characters in the beginning was good but towards the end, it got a bit long winded so i skipped some chapters. what i really like was the historical setting of the novels. the pre-qin and pre-tang eras, which jin yong did not cover.

i've read many of his novels but can't say i really like any of them as a whole. the parts don't always add up to make a good whole novel. his writing style is also more traditional, i guess, compared to jin yong, and the plot not as interesting.

Beside Jin Yong, I prefer Liang Yu Sheng. His usage of history make it quite intriguing to read, IMO.

In term of "wu," he is the only guy by far that I have read is able to bring out the true essential of sword. Jin Yong mainly focus on bare-hand combat, if his characters were to use weapon, it probably going to be something like the Heavy Iron Sword, wooden stuffs, or even a needle. Even for weapons the like the Heaven Sword, Gentleman Sword, etc, they don't seem to possess any value. It just a sharp weapon, in Jin Yong's eyes, that can be toss away at anytime. While the weapon in Liang Yu Sheng seemed more to be 1st class cuting-edge weapon.
    Last edited by TaiHan; 10-18-05 at 08:02 AM.

I have not read much of liang yu sheng. I have only read the tian shan series (bai fa mo nuu, sai wai ying xiong and qi jian). Besides that, are there any other books that u recommend?

I don't really read much of Liang Yu Sheng, since not much is translated into my language. But others mainly recommended Ping Zhong Xia Ying Lu, I believe.

What do u guys think of the works of Wo Long Sheng? Any opinion?