View Poll Results: which level, WITH 2 FIGHTERS, would be able to block shaolin gate?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • DGSD: Sweeper Monk

42 79.25%
  • DGSD: Xiao Yao Elders

24 45.28%
  • DGSD: Xiao Yuanshan, Murong Bo, Jiumozhi

18 33.96%
  • HSDS: No one

3 5.66%
  • HSDS: Zhang Wuji, Zhang Sanfeng

27 50.94%
  • SPW: Dongfang Bubai

20 37.74%
  • SPW: Ren Woxing, Linghu Chong

11 20.75%
  • SPW: No one

6 11.32%
  • DOMD: One Armed Nun

0 0%
  • DOMD: No One

16 30.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who else can block the gates of Shaolin for 7 days, 7 nights?

Default Who else can politely block the gates of Shaolin for 7 days, 7 nights?

In Ode to Gallantry, Lord Long and Lord Mu of Gallant Island sat near the Shaolin gate for 7 days, 7 nights, blocking all traffic during those times. The heroes in the novel were all convinced that the 7 days consisted of vigorous, intensive battles, but at the same time the Lords had to maintain politeness since they were trying to get Shaolin's favor after all. Let's analyze briefly the accomplishment:

In that era, Shaolin's abbot and Wudang's headmaster were described as cream of the crop, which indicates that relatively speaking, Shaolin and Wudang were very well off during this time. During other times when Shaolin prospered, the temple had many worthy martial artists. For example in DGSD, there were tens of Xuan generation monks that were around Murong Fu's level. In HSDS, there were quite a few monks at the Ming Cult Guardian's level. Similar trend seems to apply to SPW, Duke of Mount Deer and after (to the best of my knowledge). So it should be fair to assume in Ode to Gallantry, Shaolin still maintained a group of elite martial artists, on par with or one level below the Abbot at the time.

So, what the 2 Lords have achieved is to hold off hundreds, if not thousands, of martial artists from the most accomplished martial arts school for 7 days, most likely handling formations and advanced techniques, all the while not pissing anybody off. How much better do they have to be than the Shaolin abbot to achieve this? I believe one level of difference is not enough, like between Zhang Wuji and the 3 Shaolin monks in HSDS, or Jiumozhi and Xuanci in DGSD. If Zhang Wuji and Zhang Sanfeng decided to raid Shaolin temple without hurting anyone, one would have to deal with the formation of the 3 monks, while the other deals with hundreds of men. I am not convinced they would be victorious. How about Jiumozhi and Murong Bo, can they take on tens of men on par with Abbot Xuanci and thousands more, while trying to be nice to all of them? I don't think so.

Who do you estimate would be able to block the Shaolin gate in each novel, without pissing Shaolin off? In other words, they can't go berserk like Xiao Feng in Juxian Manor, chopping people's head off and all. Cast your opinion in this poll. Vote for all that apply in your opinion.
    Last edited by PJ; 10-18-05 at 06:48 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I can see Old Sweeps could doing it. Does he count?

Sure, Sweeper is a candidate on my list.

Welcome back, forum

The way I read it, Lord Long and Lord Mu just sat there and Shaolin monks just didn't give a shit. I don't see the monks gang up on those two really. If they did, it would be incredibly easy to get rid of the two. Fire anyone? Even if the monks just attacked with a big formation, I couldn't see how the Lords could keep them at bay while not killing at least a large number - and they didn't do that.

If the arrangement were to subdue Shaolin like Jiumozhi did (i.e one on one, shaming Shaolin skills etc.) then a lot of elite fighters could do it.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I agree with Candide.

However, given the conditions, only people like Sweeps, the XY Elders and DFBB would be able to do that.

I picture it more like what Candide wrote too. The Shaolin monks might have fought them only in a limited fashion. As a comparison, when Jiumozhi was irritating the heck out of Shaolin, XuanCi did not order a gang smackdown on him either.

But Duan Yu could do it too. But he might explode from absorbing so much energy....

Don't think Shaolin would want to lose face by have many on two.

I think all the Lords had to do with hold of the lower ranked monks off to get the attention of the abbot to come down and greet them.

But surely it wouldnt take 7 days/nights to get the abbots attention?

Wei Xiao Bao could do it. Just call in the imperial army and camp at the shaolin temple for 7 days.

Or as the 2nd highest ranked monk in the temple just cook up some excuse to shut the temple for 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    The way I read it, Lord Long and Lord Mu just sat there and Shaolin monks just didn't give a shit. I don't see the monks gang up on those two really. If they did, it would be incredibly easy to get rid of the two. Fire anyone? Even if the monks just attacked with a big formation, I couldn't see how the Lords could keep them at bay while not killing at least a large number - and they didn't do that.

If the arrangement were to subdue Shaolin like Jiumozhi did (i.e one on one, shaming Shaolin skills etc.) then a lot of elite fighters could do it.
    I picture it more like what Candide wrote too. The Shaolin monks might have fought them only in a limited fashion
    Nope, the novel says otherwise:

“到得少林寺后,我和木兄弟将图解的第一式封在信封之中,请知客僧递交妙谛大师。知客僧初时不肯,说道妙谛 大师闭关多年,早已与外人不通音问。我二人便各取一个蒲团坐了,堵住了少林寺的大门,直坐了七日七夜,不令 寺中僧人出入。知客僧无奈,才将那信递了进去。”

群雄均想:“他说得轻措淡写,但要将少林寺大门堵住七日七夜,当真谈何容易?其间不知经过了多少场龙争虎斗。少林群僧定是无法将他二人逐走,这才被迫传信。”

The heroes all thought: "the lord speaks humbly of such accomplishment, but to block the Shaolin gate for 7 days, 7 nights, is definitely not easily achieved. During this time, there must have been many extravagent battles. The numerous Shaolin monks must have been unable to drive them away, and thus were forced to deliver the letter.

Or as the 2nd highest ranked monk in the temple just cook up some excuse to shut the temple for 7 days.
    Yeah right, conspiracy of the century

pardon me for speaking in common-sense language as i do not know about "Ode to Gallantry" except that it's also known as Xia Ke Xing which has Shi Po Tian in it.

anyway, what's so great about "blocking a gate" for 7 days and nights except those blockers did not die of hunger? if there are battles fought, who are involved in the battles? if it's those ordinary soldiers/people, pugilists will fight kill them off easily.

but if they block and people like Shi Po Tian cannot get in/out after 7 days and nights, then i will say, "wow. the block is great!".

once again, pardon for my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    anyway, what's so great about "blocking a gate" for 7 days and nights except those blockers did not die of hunger? if there are battles fought, who are involved in the battles? if it's those ordinary soldiers/people, pugilists will fight kill them off easily.
    Shaolin people (especially the high-rank one) are not your average Tom, Dick and Harry.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Shaolin people (especially the high-rank one) are not your average Tom, Dick and Harry.
    with that, i understand. thks.

I dunno.

If there were two XF's in DGSD, they'd be able to hold off a number of high level Shaolin elders at once.

Even in ROCH, GJ was able to hold off hundreds of QZ disciples (in a strong formation no less) despite not trying to hurt them.

From this, I don't find the act of holding off even a thousand monks from using a single gate too far fetched simply because they wouldn't be able to all exert themselves at once.

Beating the top elders would also seem quite plausible for two fighters of slightly above Great-level ability.

The caveat in this is the duration. Holding on for 7 days is quite a feat. The question is the logistics of it since even the Lords of the Island would need to eat and rest.

I don't see anyone else capable except for sweeper

sweeper monk can sit there and block them with his force shield
    在下日月神教陸教主是也

Quote Originally Posted by Loke-Gao-Zhu
    sweeper monk can sit there and block them with his force shield
    the force field can hurt and thus piss shaolin off..
    honestly I can only see ZSF and ZWJ do this.. one who's 50 yang and 50 ying but mastered the art of soft overcoming hard. and other more yang than yin which also suggests soft arts.. ZWJ could use QQDLY and just move them away.. simple as that while ZSF uses simple taichi that renders them useless..

Sweeper Monk, he takes responsibility for taking care of the temple, so all he needs to do is hiding the key of the gate, then no-one else can go through.
    Yang Guo & Zhou Botong said in Chapters 6, 11 & 25 of ROCH:
    - 这道姑也算得美了,只是还不及桃花岛郭伯母,更加不及我姑姑。
    - 原来郭伯母竟是这般美貌,小时候我却不觉得。
    - 龙姑娘,我瞧你品貌才智,和那小黄蓉不相上下,武功也跟她差不离。

Yeung Gor and Brother Condor

Yeung Gor can use his roaring and the monks will have to stay still and use their internal to keep themselves from falling. Mean while, brother Condor flaps his wings to push them back, It's a peaceful way to deal with many people.
    Last edited by Yeung Gor; 02-11-07 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    Yeung Gor and Brother Condor

Yeung Gor can use his roaring and the monks will have to stay still and use their internal to keep themselves from falling. Mean while, brother Condor flaps his wings to push them back, It's a peaceful way to deal with many people.
    Lol, you going to sing for a week, while your brother look stupid trying to fly?
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    Lol, you going to sing for a week, while your brother look stupid trying to fly?
    That's not a bad idea. I can put up a concert. We were working on forming a wuxia band call the Condors on another thread. It will be a perfect time to debut our hit songs (written by Ken Cheng). We will have the monks cheering like teenage girls.