Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

I'm getting over my initial shock and learning to accept Hawick/YM dating news. Despite being an ardent FengMi fan, I knew that without an official announcement from the involved parties themselves, anything is possible since we have no idea what really happens behind the cameras and the minute details of their everyday life. Didn't everyone think Nicholas Tse and Cecelia Cheung were the perfect couple? Look at what happened now.

We often forget that they are normal people as well and work in an anything-but-normal profession. Showbiz is one hot messy business. These actors are not always the glamorous superstar we see on camera. FengMi may look wonderful on-screen and sound really cute when they joke about each other, because we always get to see the best side of their interactions. Perhaps in private, they have arguments or clash of value system, which YM always mentioned during their interviews, that we never get to see. I really believe in fate about love or yuanfen. Both Hawick/YM have the fate to become a real life couple while FengMi does not.

After reading up on Hawick, I can definitely see why YM is attracted to him. While I think FengMi have a lot of complementary traits, Hawick/YM seems to share a lot of compatible interests. When I got over my initial disappointment and started to read the nasty backlash on the Chinese forums to YM's public announcement, I started to feel bad for both YM and Hawick. They don't deserve all the ugly verbal attacks. Hawick's fans are attacking YM, YM's fans are attacking Hawick, and FengMi are attacking both. (though I really think YM should have kept her distance from FSF during the past few public events they attended and "cool" down the FengMi fervor when she was already dating Hawick).
    Last edited by JoleCole; 01-10-12 at 02:12 AM.
    Need to stop being lazy...

Lol, love that GX article too. ^_^ While sometimes I get annoyed at the Chinese media for making stuff up, at times they can be really hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by shaz View Post
    Back to YangMi's project, is anyone watching Beijing Love Story. If so, how is it so far? Was actually quite excite about this drama but the FengMi news is taking up too much of my time. Will probably start it after finishing We Are A Family. Currently watching We Are A Family but she really doesn't have that much screen time, doesn't appears until esp 15.
    I've been looking forward to Beijing Love Story for awhile so I'm definitely going to watch it--just waiting for more eps to come out since I hate waiting for eps to come out, I prefer marathoning series. I'll definitely let you guys know how it is once I get around to it! (Or maybe xiaolong will beat me to it...?) How is "We Are Family"? YM doesn't do a lot of modern series, and apparently this character is quite close to her real-life personality, so I was always a bit interested in it...is it up online somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    i'm still really looking forward to hfcq since it looks like a well directed drama with a potentially good storyline even though i don't like historical dramas so much.

but now i'm actually looking forward to ruyi after having seen the teaser trailer. it looks gorgeous.
    I am definitely still looking forward to both HFCQ and Hua Pi 2!!! (Maybe even the FSF/YM parts of Gong 2. XD) Who cares if they aren't dating in real life, they still have chemistry in spades so I will continue to ship them as an onscreen couple and real-life friends. (I mean, hey, I still squee about GeMi interactions and hope for GeMi onscreen even though they are just good friends IRL, so FengMi is the same way except I loved them even more and think they are even better friends! ) I'll still be thrilled if they announce any future collaborations (although, looking at the backlash from this incident...I'm thinking that may not work out too well ).

I'm looking forward to Ru Yi too of course, but actually not as much as the FengMi collabs. Probably if I see more YM/Hawick cuteness I'll get sucked into it more. ^_^ We'll see!

anyhow, i don't think ym was very flirtatious towards fsf these past two months, but she definitely appears to treat him more sweetly. i don't know if anyone considered this possibility, but perhaps fsf finally revealed to ym that he has a girlfriend? therefore, ym doesn't have to feel as reserved around him in fear of leading him on. since he's taken and she's taken, there will unlikely be any misunderstanding. i don't hold my male friends' arms or hands the way ym did to fsf, but come on, they won the weibo best pair award. other than that, she never kissed him or suggested anything of that nature in front of anyone. and they've been through so much last year (in terms of gaining massive popularity and fully entering the movie businesss) that they it seems that only they could relate to each other.
    That's what I choose to believe too--YM acted sweeter towards FSF because she's attached (and maybe so is he) so she doesn't have to be super careful around him anymore about leading him on or anything. So it is just their natural good friendship coming through. (Umm yeah waayyyy friendlier than I would say is normal, but like YM said, the two of them did go through a lot together and really grew up together over the past year.)

Of course, being a YM fan I always choose to believe the best (just like I always believed the best of FengMi). Other people of course have different opinions...e.g. that YM acted sweeter towards FSF and used FengMi as a cover-up for her relationship with Hawick. I will be honest, if that is the case my opinion of her will go down because that is pretty mean and almost disrespectful to many of her fans and FengMi fans. Obviously she doesn't owe her fans anything but as a celebrity, all her actions do affect many other people (whether she likes it or not) so celebs should be at least somewhat considerate towards the fans who support them. For some people, the news would have been a lot easier to swallow if YM had cooled down her actions towards FSF in the past 2 months (especially at the most recent event, which was after she already decided to go public). I mean, personally I still really enjoy the interactions we got at Sina Weibo Night (hey, if FengMi is going to come to an end might as well max out the cuteness and have them go out with a bang, right? ) but a lot of fans can't take it. So, I still want to believe that her interactions with FSF are real friendship and not faked for any reason...who knows though!

Basically, I don't really have a problem with FengMi coming to an end or YM/Hawick being revealed, I am actually more just disappointed in the handling of the issue. The way things went about were really not ideal...it basically guaranteed a huge backlash against YM from a lot of fans. >_< Some people even admit they used to be big YM fans, then became FengMi fans, and now have become FSF-only fans...and I actually can't really blame them. T_T A company more skilled in PR probably could've handled this situation in a much more tactful manner. Instead, Mei Ah seems to be happily using this for max publicity, not caring if it is positive or negative. (What else can we expect from this company though right...? )

But no matter what, I will probably always follow her career and projects--what made me like her in the first place was her acting talent (and I'll admit it, her looks don't hurt either! ). All the other stuff is just extra, and provide funner entertainment while following her.

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    I'm looking forward to Ru Yi too of course, but actually not as much as the FengMi collabs. Probably if I see more YM/Hawick cuteness I'll get sucked into it more. ^_^ We'll see!
    You can see some real life interaction of Hawick and YM during their shooting of her MV.

BTS of MV
    http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/q...3_100001_01_01

And if you're really curious, a Hawick's fan put together their weibos in chronological order that supposedly "communicate" with each other. Perhaps you'll see YM's posts in a different light this time after the revelation.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1359716104

and you should really check Hawick's weibo on 光棍节 November 11
    Last edited by JoleCole; 01-10-12 at 02:49 AM.

will someone please be kind enough to translate the weibo interaction? i'd like to learn how this relationship evolved in the public's eyes retrospectively.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Thanks for the links JoleCole, will definitely check those out! patricia from what I've read thus far most of the weibo posts (haven't gone through it all) are pretty vague too--I wouldn't think to link them together until now. It's quite a lot to translate too... I have to admit I am a pretty lazy person, I usually don't do all this posting/translating/subbing etc...(FengMi were just too much fun and excitement so I couldn't help myself XD)...would someone else like to?

More BXBX stills:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/71d2a0c1gw1doxa2lhgbmj.jpg')

More magazine scans: (I posted the cover awhile ago)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/large/4fe3de02jw1dow58u0255j.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/4fe3de02jw1dorekglpgfj.jpg')

Full scans from this magazine: http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/71d2a0c1gw1dophbmsmk1j.jpg

mango cake, no worries, you already did so much during the fengmi era. i'm eternally grateful for all of your hard work and dedication to help us non-chinese fans join in on the fun.

i think as hawick/yang mi gain shippers, i will eventually get to read up more on them. otherwise, it's not a big deal. i just wish ym happiness and i hope that she didn't hurt anyone (cough, cough, fsf) during the early parts of her relationship with hawick. and even if i never get to read up on hl/ym, i'll be okay as long as there's quality ym series/movies to enjoy.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Remember how I mentioned earlier that FengMi would be featured as the double cover on Cosmo Bride's February Valentine's Day edition? (And posted that gorgeous shot of YM?)

Well, COSMO recently released a cute and quirky BTS video of the photoshoot! ^_^ (I bet they wish Yang Mi didn't announce anything till AFTER this magazine hits the shelves...lol. Poor them...oh well, YM and FSF's individual fans will probably still buy it!) Quite a bittersweet little clip I guess!

(On a separate note I find it hilarious that the song they used to accompany it has the lyrics "bitter heart" and "getting fragile"... Not exactly a sweet Valentine's Day themed song but really quite fitting for all the poor FengMi shippers watching this video...)

(While this would probably be a lot more squee-worthy 2 days ago, I still find it cute. ^_^ Also, we get to see a peek at the covers at the end of the video--Yang Mi looks lovely, can't wait for this shoot to come out! )

hope Hawick & Yang Mi get love and bless from all shippers.
    happy for my forever charming prince finally had found his princess.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i40.tinypic.com/1fwoe8.gif')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i39.tinypic.com/wc25cl.gif')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i44.tinypic.com/jq59ar.gif')

http://www.yinyuetai.com/video/335263@Mango : can you tell me what YM said and explain about the " Hou Gong" board ?I know to accept the shock news really difficlut, but fact is forever fact. we can't change the fact.I Hope both of them ( FengMi) are happy forever

I don't get why, if her real-life man is Hawick, how come she kept wanting to collaborate with FSF? OK, maybe that was before she got together with Hawick. But it looks to me she doesn't have any plans to collaborate with Hawick in any future drama?
    I ship Shi-Harem

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    I don't get why, if her real-life man is Hawick, how come she kept wanting to collaborate with FSF? OK, maybe that was before she got together with Hawick. But it looks to me she doesn't have any plans to collaborate with Hawick in any future drama?
    Perhaps she doesn't want to mix business with pleasure. Are there any contract stipulations preventing leading actors from dating in case they act unprofessionally?

Because her chemistry with fsf onscreen is sizzling that's why producers get the two to collaborate and that's why ym wants to work with him. Plus fsf keeps on recommending ym to everyone he works with. Fans love them on screen and fsf is easy to work with so why not seek the same partnership? Hu ge and ym in real life will never be but i still want to see thm onscreen. Some fengmi fans may feel the same way despite the recent news. And this may be a good way to pacify some fans.

Maybe around hawick she acts too much like a girl in love to nail her role? Or maybe ym didnt want to make her relationship with hl too obvious so she never mentions anything about wishing to work with him again. Perhaps if their chemistry is sizzling on screen and gets the audience approval she will ask to work with him more. I think she's wise enough to avoid offending the fengmi fans even more by adding insult to injury. We know mei ah will push for that.

Anyhow ym looks gorgeous in the cosmo clip...very audrey hepburn in some scenes.
    Last edited by patricia n; 01-10-12 at 02:06 PM.

I know a celebrity couple (Sun Li and Deng Chao) once said they prefer not to work together onscreen because it feels like their private life is being watched by others if they have to shoot love/intimate scenes. They don't want to mesh private and professional life together. Yang Mi seems like a pretty private person about her love life. Hawick is her first boyfriend ever to go public. No one, at least the public, knows whom she actually dated in the past. She has plenty of rumor boyfriends, but definitely no "official" ones.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 01-10-12 at 02:28 PM.

Maybe around hawick she acts too much like a girl in love to nail her role? Or maybe ym didnt want to make her relationship with hl too obvious so she never mentions anything about wishing to work with him again. Perhaps if their chemistry is sizzling on screen and gets the audience approval she will ask to work with him more. I think she's wise enough to avoid offending the fengmi fans even more by adding insult to injury. We know mei ah will push for that.
    Yang Mi offended a lot of FengMi fans. There are over 15,000 registered FengMi members on the Baidu forum, the biggest of any couple fandom.

Its really sad that YangMi is getting all of the backlash from FengMi but I think everyone just need some time to adjust to this, a lot of fengmi has been shipping them for almost a year now. I know I do. Eventually many will probably get over it and those who support YangMi will continue to support her.

I've been looking forward to Beijing Love Story for awhile so I'm definitely going to watch it--just waiting for more eps to come out since I hate waiting for eps to come out, I prefer marathoning series. I'll definitely let you guys know how it is once I get around to it! (Or maybe xiaolong will beat me to it...?) How is "We Are Family"? YM doesn't do a lot of modern series, and apparently this character is quite close to her real-life personality, so I was always a bit interested in it...is it up online somewhere?
    you can watch it here: http://www.letv.com/ptv/pplay/29389/1.html
    It's 2 episodes a day, so far only 18 episode has been release and yangmi didn't appear till 15 so she really don't have too much screen time. It is a very chinese style modern drama, its depends on if you like those Chinese modern drama. Im only watching this because of YangMi but the drama is actually not that bad and the rating on letv is good.

Thanks for the link shaz!

Quote Originally Posted by cucaikitt View Post
    http://www.yinyuetai.com/video/335263@Mango : can you tell me what YM said and explain about the " Hou Gong" board ?I know to accept the shock news really difficlut, but fact is forever fact. we can't change the fact.I Hope both of them ( FengMi) are happy forever
    I'm downloading the clip as I type and will upload & sub if it is interesting enough. ^_^ However it's loading very slowly...I did read that the 5th mystery guy who was the "concubine" (who we couldn't see in the screencap before) was actually Yuan Hong, lol. It's funny that out of the 5 guys (FSF, HG, YH, MTY, and Hawick)...I know the least about Hawick but lo and behold he turns out to be the one YM is actually dating, lol.

Because her chemistry with fsf onscreen is sizzling that's why producers get the two to collaborate and that's why ym wants to work with him. Plus fsf keeps on recommending ym to everyone he works with. Fans love them on screen and fsf is easy to work with so why not seek the same partnership? Hu ge and ym in real life will never be but i still want to see thm onscreen. Some fengmi fans may feel the same way despite the recent news. And this may be a good way to pacify some fans.
    Don't forget that YM herself has recommended FSF for several projects: HFCQ (which was filmed before Gong broadcast so there was really no "publicity" factor involved--well unless they were psychic!) and MingYun. They've also stated several times how much familiarity/rapport they have with each other onscreen and how they pretty much "improv" act with each other and will immediately know how to react. (And I definitely think this shines through onscreen as well.) So clearly they really do enjoy working with each other and have chemistry onscreen. But I guess all along YM only saw FSF as one of her best friends...too bad, but I guess he really wasn't her type (like she mentioned before). Plus she's always seemed to have a rebellious streak, so if everyone (including her parents and friends) were trying to push her to get together with FSF maybe that had the opposite effect...

Anyhow ym looks gorgeous in the cosmo clip...very audrey hepburn in some scenes.
    Definitely! Some of her fans have commented on that too.

New movie news: not official yet but it seems like a lot of people are saying Yang Mi is going to play Mulan in a new movie. (This is produced by XingGuang, the same company that produced "White Vengeance"--I guess this was the movie they kind of hinted about when YM went to the HMY promo thing.) Reactions to it seem to be mixed; some people are happy she is going to be the definite lead in a very female-centric movie (which are not that common in the movie world) and think this might be a good chance for her to prove herself, plus XingGuang seems to have a lot of money to get high-profile actors to star in their movies (see HMY, where FSF got to star opposite Li Ming, Zhang Hanyu, LYF, etc and it really boosted his career a lot!). However other people think it's a bad thing because the story of Mulan has been overdone already (see the TV series version that Yuan Hong/Chen Sicheng are currently filming), plus she can't avoid comparisons to Vicki's Mulan in her movie with Chen Kun.

Currently I still have no opinion of it, I may be more excited once I hear who the rest of the cast is! However, a big bonus is that she is sure to get lots of screentime, it sounds like a pretty meaty role, she might be able to put her newfound kungfu skills to good use, and she's not just a "flower vase". (Which unfortunately a lot of female roles are in movies. E.g. I still don't know how interesting her character in "Vanishing Bullet" is, really hope she isn't just a flower vase in there. Although actually since she's pairing up with Nic Tse in there I almost wouldn't mind too much for that one!)

Quote Originally Posted by cucaikitt View Post
    Just watched it--hilariously it turned out Yang Mi was the one who picked who was what in her "harem"! That's even funnier. I also find it funny that they clearly did some major editing over the last 2 days after the Hawick reveal (based on the captions they added, haha). Well she is definitely a great liar in front of the media that is for sure, she didn't let slip at all here that she is dating Hawick in real life (despite the fact that I think this interview took place the same day as when she did her interview to go public). Here's a brief overview of what she said: (there's a little something for all YM shippers ^_^)

- Guo Degang: is the Empress Dowager. (Pretty obvious choice.) YM says he has the most "power" out of them and says how she met him while they were both filming dramas next door to each other (this was when she filmed "Diao Man Xin Niang" in the winter of 09/10 in Shanghai). They have lots of fun joking around with each other; YM says he is the "most important" to her (like the Empress Dowager--safe thing to say since, being old enough to be her dad, he is the only one where YM wouldn't be scared of any rumours, haha...)

- Feng Shaofeng: YM says he would be the "empress"--she laughs and says he would always be the one that everyone wishes would be the "one". (Well, sad but definitely true! ) Then she says he is the one that she can openly walk out hand-in-hand with (true...I guess because they always appear in the status of an "onscreen couple"...but I wonder if it will still be true henceforth?? I hope it will because I don't think I will ever get sick of seeing them be cute together, but it might be too much to take for all the heartbroken fans). The host says, this means that in reality there is nothing between them and YM laughs.

- Yuan Hong: she picked "lao Yuan" (old Yuan) as the "gui fei" (i.e. concubine with highest ranking), because she says out of these guys it was actually Yuan Hong who she's known for the longest time; then she corrects herself and says she's indeed known FSF for longer, however at the beginning she was much closer to Yuan Hong than FSF (true--although she collaborated with FSF in DHTHK before YH in SSF, they weren't friends at all; meanwhile from the BTS pics it seems like she was definitely on good terms with YH already during SSF). So she is extremely familiar with YH...but then she laughingly adds that she thinks with Yuan Hong she has even less chemistry/sparks than with FSF--in fact they have no sparks at all, i.e. they are purely "ge men" (i.e. "brothers"/good buddies!). Then she talks about his astrological sign and personality etc.
    (Kinda off-topic, but incidentally, I saw that recently in an interview, Yuan Hong mentioned that he has known YM since she was 19 and also alluded to them being good friends, saying they played video games together etc. back then.)

- Ma Tianyu: she says of course MTY would be the "Mei Ren" (translates literally to "beautiful person", basically it's a title for Consort). She says they used to eat lunch together all the time during their university days, MTY would always call her to come down and go eat lunch with him. Then she jokes he is more beautiful than she is.

- Hu Ge: "lao Hu" (old Hu) she picks to be the "manager" of the palace (basically the head eununch always had this role but ummm I don't think they meant it with that connotation lol). The interviewer jokes is it because HG has his own restaurant? YM says "oh right! I forgot!" and says she's never been to his restaurant. Anyways she says he is basically the "standard" Virgo--very detail-oriented and careful/organized in all his matters. (I mentioned this before but again I think YM/HG are very similar in personality--YM often says she is also a "standard" Virgo in personality; this time she adds that they can see each other's "flaws" in the other because of their similarity.)

- Hawick Lau: The host asks her why she put him in the role of the "old maid" and says he really is quite shocked! YM jokes, well isn't the "lao mo mo" the role in the series that everyone anticipates the most? Then she says maybe it's because she really doesn't know where to put him so by default he gets the last role. Then she jokes it would be quite funny to see him as the "lao mo mo" using needles to poke Zi Wei. The host jokes, "do you mean he'd be poking Yuan Hong??" YM points to MTY and says, "or poking him!! That'd be quite fun too!"

Anyways the host tries to get her to reveal some stuff and bring up the "Happy Camp" phone call where YM replied she thought he could be a suitable boyfriend. Yang Mi says it was probably just the way they edited the show and the way the question was asked, so she replied yes. Then the host asked, "why do you think he is more suitable than these other guys?? Like more than YH/FSF/MTY etc..." Yang Mi says, "you can't compare like that, I am just 'ge men' (good buddies) with all of them and that's it." (Yeah surrrrrreee you are...)

ym will get to be mulan? that's awesome although i wish they would do a movie on the female magistrate instead. but with mulan, we will get to see ym kick butt physically and mentally. i agree that there is a large volume of mulan related projects more recently. looks like the chinese entertainment industry all flock together and produce movies/series revolving around the same topic until someone is creative enough to pick the new "it" topic. regardless, like you said, at least ym will be lead with a real and large role instead of being a flower vase. if she gets this role, other directors who had no interest in her before will surely notice her now.

and thanks for the harem translation. that was a fun read...oh hu ge...you are but a eunuch in this chart. surprised that nothing ever blossomed from ym's friendship with yh. how cute would it be if they hooked up because of their obsession with videogames.

oh, and the gif of ym and hawick in a few posts back...wow, they make a very good looking couple. ym looks genuinely happy around hawick in those bloopers.
    Last edited by patricia n; 01-11-12 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoleCole View Post
    Yang Mi offended a lot of FengMi fans. There are over 15,000 registered FengMi members on the Baidu forum, the biggest of any couple fandom.
    Don't forget about MiShi (at 10,000+ members) and GeMi (at over 6000 members). O_o That adds up to over 30,000 members who have been completely crushed. Not to mention the many YM-only fans who also cannot accept this news. (Also, the actual numbers of fans are probably much more than registered members since not everyone bothers to become a member of the ship.)

I am still shocked at my recent discovery that MiShi outnumber GeMi by so much and are not so far behind FengMi! I always thought GeMi was the second-largest YM-ship but I guess this false impression was created by the fact that MiShi mostly seem to stay in their own (rather happily delusional ) bubble while GeMi and FengMi are more outspoken. It's pretty crazy how Yang Mi seems to attract so many shippers...it can be a good thing (gets her a lot of dedicated fans) but now it is turning out to be kind of a disastrous thing. (I don't really pay attention to other ship forums so I am curious what is the biggest non-YM ship?)

Actually what's kinda funny is, members in all these ship forums have noticed the bizarre phenomenon of their registered members increasing after the news! Seems like the devastating reveal pushed some people out of lurkerdom to join in on the bawling-their-eyes-out party. Lol. e.g. some old YM-fans have now come out as GeMi fans (not surprising since GeMi was around much longer than FengMi) saying they wish it was HG instead; whereas previously they kind of "hid" this side since shipping is not encouraged in Yang Mi's forums (for good reason...the shipping wars would not be pretty!).

- Hawick Lau: The host asks her why she put him in the role of the "old maid" and says he really is quite shocked! YM jokes, well isn't the "lao mo mo" the role in the series that everyone anticipates the most? Then she says maybe it's because she really doesn't know where to put him so by default he gets the last role. Then she jokes it would be quite funny to see him as the "lao mo mo" using needles to poke Zi Wei. The host jokes, "do you mean he'd be poking Yuan Hong??" YM points to MTY and says, "or poking him!! That'd be quite fun too!"

Anyways the host tries to get her to reveal some stuff and bring up the "Happy Camp" phone call where YM replied she thought he could be a suitable boyfriend. Yang Mi says it was probably just the way they edited the show and the way the question was asked, so she replied yes. Then the host asked, "why do you think he is more suitable than these other guys?? Like more than YH/FSF/MTY etc..." Yang Mi says, "you can't compare like that, I am just 'ge men' (good buddies) with all of them and that's it." (Yeah surrrrrreee you are...)
    YM is a really eloquent speaker and can lie straight in your face. I guess that's a good trait for an actor if you don't get caught! I remember Hawick said in his interview that YM called him right before she made the revelation to her interviewer later that day. She was extremely nervous and was stuttering over the phone when he talked to her. Was this interview conducted on January 4th? Cuz I think that's when they supposedly found out the paparazzi snapped photos of them outside of her apartment.

I'm really curious about RuYi now. I want to see how their real life chemistry sizzles onscreen. HAHA.
    Last edited by JoleCole; 01-11-12 at 04:55 AM.