Thread: Yang Mi (杨幂)

Mango_cake your recap makes me want to watch it even more. Btw, do you have the link?
    Life is such a rush. Every step I take, I must remind myself to slow down and enjoy the scenery along the way.Happiness is simple.

Quote Originally Posted by ByStander View Post
    Mango_cake your recap makes me want to watch it even more. Btw, do you have the link?
    The link I'm watching from is here: http://www.7788dy.com/moviesingle_2_30089.html (Ignore the annoying popup ads. T_T However you do need Baidu player for it...also, the last 10 eps or so have the sound out of sync which was annoying since I had to play it in two different players to sync it properly...) It is a much more serious and slower-paced drama with extremely formal language so probably not everyone's cup of tea, but if you love historical dramas I think this is one of the better ones I've seen!

**minor spoilers**

So I just finished DQZD and am happy to say, to my surprise Meng Yi and Ling'er actually got a happy ending!!! Kinda forced (because really Meng Yi was supposed to get killed off in history, and all of Qin Shihuang's sons/daughters were also supposed to be killed) but oh well! ^_^ I guess the scriptwriter couldn't bear killing them off, which is for the best because I was falling more and more in love with Meng Yi as the series went on. Funny, I expected a tragic ending in both HFCQ and DQZD, but it ended up being happy! (It seems like YM's luck has flipped--I remember a few years ago I was bemoaning the fact that YM always seems to have tragic endings in her series, but recently she's been getting all happy endings--even when the story probably *should* have ended tragically, heheh! ^_^)

Only complaint is I wanted more scenes between Ling'er and her "Meng Yi ge ge" (so cute when she calls him that) in the last few episodes. T_T In fact, after re-watching their cute DQZD scenes a second time...I ended up going back to DMXN to watch the sweet scenes between Xiao Man and her "Wen Tian ge". (Both YM and LDX's characters are a LOT better in DQZD though, and the storyline is too. But, it seems like their "happy ending" track record is 100%! ...Unlike GeMi, who sort of have a tragic ending record of 100%, lol. )

Now I'm debating whether I should watch HWDA next (for Yang Mi) or "Zhen Huan Zhuan" (for Li Dong Xue...what can I say, I seem to fall totally in love with most of YM's onscreen costars! ). Or, other option is to go back and finish WZJ (because I'm still in an "ancient time period" mode, don't feel like a Ming/Qing series quite yet...)

Thanks for the link, Mango_cake!

Although, since DQZD is considered a "zheng ju" does that mean it's historically accurate? Aside from formal language etc aside, what distincts historical dramas from usual costume dramas? I mean, there are costume dramas that are based off real historical characters as well... Evidently I haven't watched that many "serious" dramas,lol, hopefully I won't have any problems understanding the language when watching the show.

YM looks super cute in the caps.Maybe it's the makeup but she looks kind of mixed...

Quote Originally Posted by ice_mountain23 View Post
    Although, since DQZD is considered a "zheng ju" does that mean it's historically accurate?
    It is fairly accurate but the scriptwriters took a lot of liberties. I sure wouldn't approach it as a history lesson...;-)
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

^ Well I think it was a fairly good history lesson for me since I don't know too much of Chinese history to begin with... (But definitely had to read into things as I watched to get an idea of what was accurate and what was fictional!)

Quote Originally Posted by ice_mountain23 View Post
    Although, since DQZD is considered a "zheng ju" does that mean it's historically accurate? Aside from formal language etc aside, what distincts historical dramas from usual costume dramas? I mean, there are costume dramas that are based off real historical characters as well... Evidently I haven't watched that many "serious" dramas,lol, hopefully I won't have any problems understanding the language when watching the show.
    I found that many of the events are historically accurate (major and minor ones)--however, they took a lot of liberties in terms of timing of events. i.e. they sort of condensed a lot of events into a smaller time period (with the result that some things happened later and some earlier than in reality). Of course, this seems to be the case with many series--both to make the plot move faster/more exciting, and because it would be difficult to age the characters that much. (Plus we all like to watch young people rather than old people right... )

Of course, there are also many fictional characters and situations added in, but the main backbone of it and main set of characters (the men at least, as records of women back then were scarce) were all true to history.

Maybe that's how I classify historical vs. other costume dramas...it's a good question, I haven't thought much about it before. And well, technically "zheng ju" doesn't mean historically accurate--it just means a more serious drama than idol dramas...but yes, the lines do get blurred. If you mean historical vs. other costume dramas...I guess for starters, at minimum the main characters should be real historical people. (That automatically disqualifies time-travel dramas like Gong where the main character is completely fictional...and wuxia dramas...as well as other dramas where the story centers around a made-up character.) And I guess second of all, it should be at least based around true events (though I give lots of leeway for scriptwriter creativity). I also find most historical series are more plot-heavy, vs. many costume dramas where the romances and love stories take front stage. Even in HFCQ, where the (likely fictional) romance between Ruji/Xinling Jun was a major plot point, it definitely wasn't the main storyline (much more screentime was devoted to other plots...and at any rate I find HFCQ less of a serious drama than DQZD).

A few of my favourite shots of YM in the series--I really liked the makeup they did on her eyes, not overdone but enhanced the "liveliness" very well. While I think overall her styling in HFCQ was more beautiful, YM had more "ling qi" in DQZD (perhaps this is also due to the fact that DQZD was filmed 3 years prior...so she still had that youthful exuberance and "freshness"). Plus she had more costumes in DQZD as well.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i43.tinypic.com/2lxtms.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i39.tinypic.com/deryf6.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i39.tinypic.com/16k7rbq.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i39.tinypic.com/fynxc8.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i43.tinypic.com/2pq2xsp.jpg')

And two of her on horseback...there were so many cool riding scenes but they come out too blurry in screencaps so can't do any justice to them!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i41.tinypic.com/25tazjl.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i41.tinypic.com/wwhxc4.jpg')

Meng Yi and Ling'er are just adorable--they are quite matching for each other, both being a bit "gui" and having a wicked streak. XD All the other characters are quite serious and proper but these two know how to let loose and have a bit of fun scheming every so often. ^_^

(I keep thinking in the first few episodes--Meng Yi plays this hilarious rat prank on another official...unfortunately for him no one else was amused. His best buddy Fu Su strictly disapproved of it and so did his brother + father, who punished him for it! Can't help but think if Ling'er had been around, she would've found it funny as well and laughed devilishly along with him! =P)

The two accomplices scheming together for the sake of good:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i40.tinypic.com/118oq5g.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i43.tinypic.com/1603atv.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i40.tinypic.com/27y64i.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i43.tinypic.com/anjzht.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i44.tinypic.com/11avd6r.jpg')

Eavesdropping on the Emperor's conversation (tsk tsk! XD)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i44.tinypic.com/2d6l85f.jpg')

Going hunting together...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i43.tinypic.com/1zm1lqq.jpg')

Romantic walk in the forest...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i43.tinypic.com/iep3pg.jpg')

Setting out in an attempt to save their Qin empire from Zhao Gao:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i42.tinypic.com/17fywk.jpg')

Lots of sweet hug scenes too... ^_^ But nothing more than that in this kind of series! ;D

You know what I find refreshing about DQZD--I just realized there isn't any evil female scheming in this one! That was getting tiresome, and feels like it's been forever since I've seen a series without it. All the women in the series (though not many) are admirable, good, brave, and strong (with the exception of one character, but she was only there for like 3 episodes and her sole purpose was to cause trouble).

Bringing over my two favourite scenery shots of the completed Qin Zhi Dao from its thread:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i39.tinypic.com/219xdzs.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i40.tinypic.com/24l62wk.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/6152056bjw1dr3x8g6holj.jpg')

I guess YM's eyes aren't really that big.
    喜欢一个人不就是应该让她感到幸福,让她快乐。别给他带来困扰 - 孟天楚/刑名师爷

Wow...she looks terrible up there. What happened?
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    Wow...she looks terrible up there. What happened?
    she doesn't have make up plus she looks like she hasn't slept for a long time

That explains it. I know when i survived on as little sleep as ym, my face got bloated and my eyes shrank because my puffy cheeks (from lack of sleep) push against them. Perhaps that is why her eyes appear much smaller than usual.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

That explains it. I know when i survived on as little sleep as ym, my face got bloated and my eyes shrank because my puffy cheeks (from lack of sleep) push against them. Perhaps that is why her eyes appear much smaller than usual.
    I think she really has small eyes even if she stretches them (example left bottom pic) and her face/cheeks doesn't look puffy at all. But her skin does look dry that's why I said she seems like she hasn't slept for a long time. But then I'm not sure about that. I'm just basing it on the dryness of her skin on the pic and not what was actually written in that weibo post. So yeah, the "little sleep" is just my guess.
    Last edited by snowflakesdance; 03-18-12 at 02:37 PM.

What is really weird in those pictures is her forehead. It looks small and we all know she has a big forehead. Is it really possible to make her eyes look so big if her eyes are truly small? I guess anything is possible with makeup. But why does her forehea look so small in those pics?

Anyhow, why are people comparing yss looks to ym? They look nothing alike.

What is really weird in those pictures is her forehead. It looks small and we all know she has a big forehead. Is it really possible to make her eyes look so big if her eyes are truly small? I guess anything is possible with makeup. But why does her forehea look so small in those pics?

Anyhow, why are people comparing yss looks to ym? They look nothing alike.
    I didn't notice the forehead before but it does looks smaller. I remember reading/hearing something about a contact lens that could make your eyes look bigger (?) but yeah make up can do wonders. I have really big eyes (which I hate because they're nothing like those cute doll eyes ) so I use make up to make them look smaller.

About YSS and YM, I honestly didn't know they were comparing the two until I watched YSS's interview (on SOD thread). I'm guessing its the shape of the face (like heart shape?) but then YM isn't the only one with that shape of face. Although honestly, in Gong2, YSS gave me the feeling of her being YM's copy cat BUT that's just me.

Well, celebs are still human after all! Even they need makeup to look good! Definitely isn't the first time people have caught candids of YM when she is makeup-less and sleep-deprived, but this is probably the worst set--everyone has bad days though, there are lots of cute pics of makeup-less YM too. At any rate, as long as actors look good onscreen in their dramas/movies, that's all that matters to me. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by snowflakesdance View Post
    I think she really has small eyes even if she stretches them (example left bottom pic) and her face/cheeks doesn't look puffy at all. But her skin does look dry that's why I said she seems like she hasn't slept for a long time. But then I'm not sure about that. I'm just basing it on the dryness of her skin on the pic and not what was actually written in that weibo post. So yeah, the "little sleep" is just my guess.
    She's definitely had pretty terrible skin for awhile (probably due to being overworked) but usually covers it up with makeup. As for the forehead thing, it's probably a matter of angles--looks like this pic was taken from sort of a bottom angle so it wouldn't emphasize her big forehead as much?

I still wouldn't say she has "really small eyes" though, just based on pics of her on a bad day with bad lighting/angles/snapshot moments. Especially if you look at her childhood/teenage pics (most with minimal makeup but where she was much fresher and well-rested) it's pretty clear she's always had big eyes. No doubt makeup enhances it a great deal (even Yang Mi herself has openly stated that celebs need a lot of help, and that at times she uses "double eyelid" glue, the circle lenses, and various other forms of eye makeup to enhance her eyes, especially when she's lacking in sleep), but I don't think anything could make her eyes look so consistently stunning without her naturally having lovely eyes to begin with.

As happy as i am for ym's career now that she is producing series, it makes me sad to know that less of her time will be spent acting. She is truly the only actress i adore from her generation. Well, i actually like ady a lot too but stopped adoring her for unknown reasons. I already have no one to look forward to in series these days butto know that there will be less of her in the big screen is also disappointing even though i don't care for movies much.

Speaking of eyes, I've just started watching "Zhen Huan Zhuan" (sorry Yang Mi, had to interrupt my recent non-stop string of YM-dramas in favour of LDX this time ) and Sun Li also has the loveliest eyes! No wonder YM was cast as Sun Li's younger sister in two of her earliest dramas! XD (Which reminds me, I still have yet to watch those...)

I know it's never going to happen but wouldn't it be awesome if Shui Ling, Sun Li, and Yang Mi played sisters? The three of them have my favourite eyes among Asian actresses and all slightly resemble each other (all three also have a more "round" face shape). (Though, I think YM's eyes are still my absolute favourite, with Sun Li second...but overall, Shui Ling is probably the most beautiful, with YM second...but, Sun Li does have the edge over them in terms of acting skill and career so far! XD)

(Also I am so shipping YM/LDX right now. I can't help it after watching DQZD and skimming through DMXN again right after each other! They make such a cute couple in both, I may have to go gif some of my favourite scenes...and I haven't had the urge to gif anything since my not-so-long-ago FengMi days. ^_^ LDX really knows how to pick appealing roles--both his characters were extremely intelligent as well as good at fighting, I am having a hard time deciding whether I prefer Qin-dynasty LDX swordfighting, or if I prefer Min Guo-era LDX in his sharp suits and guns... XD Though personality-wise I definitely adore Meng Yi more than Wen Tian.)

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    Well, celebs are still human after all! Even they need makeup to look good! Definitely isn't the first time people have caught candids of YM when she is makeup-less and sleep-deprived, but this is probably the worst set--everyone has bad days though, there are lots of cute pics of makeup-less YM too. At any rate, as long as actors look good onscreen in their dramas/movies, that's all that matters to me. ^_^

She's definitely had pretty terrible skin for awhile (probably due to being overworked) but usually covers it up with makeup. As for the forehead thing, it's probably a matter of angles--looks like this pic was taken from sort of a bottom angle so it wouldn't emphasize her big forehead as much?

I still wouldn't say she has "really small eyes" though, just based on pics of her on a bad day with bad lighting/angles/snapshot moments. Especially if you look at her childhood/teenage pics (most with minimal makeup but where she was much fresher and well-rested) it's pretty clear she's always had big eyes. No doubt makeup enhances it a great deal (even Yang Mi herself has openly stated that celebs need a lot of help, and that at times she uses "double eyelid" glue, the circle lenses, and various other forms of eye makeup to enhance her eyes, especially when she's lacking in sleep), but I don't think anything could make her eyes look so consistently stunning without her naturally having lovely eyes to begin with.
    Oops my bad... I live in a place where big eyes are natural thing so her eyes does look really small to me. At least not how I thought they were. I don't think I've seen any childhood/teenage pics of her (except for the one from ROCH). I'd love to see some. Can you point me to where I can see them?

I may be in the minority, but i find sun li beautiful. When i first saw fearless, i thought she was stunnung as moon. I dont think ym looks like sun li although i wouldn't mind seeing them in a series together.