• No Good

17 17.00%
  • Suck

24 24.00%
  • Ok

39 39.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Think Of TVB Today

i do agree that actors like tony and felix are better actors than the present batch..but that's not tvb's fault. i think right now, there is just a shortage of natural acting geniuses that are just born to act. i dont' think we should blame tvb for the lack of natural born acting talents. i think they are just trying to use the current actors to their best. they are making use of whatever resources (including people) that they have right now and are still producing decent series.

i hope there can be another tony or another felix down the road...but that's not under anyone's control

just like in taiwan..they have their line of idol series actors/actresses but i think those are even worse than the tvb ones. since there arent' any super talents like tony or felix right now, we have to just let the current ones develop and improve themselves through talent

dont' you think that tvb would use better actors if they had any

plus...my problem isn't with that ppl think tvb is bad nowadays, it's just that KeSiTinh repeated says "tvb sucks" "current actors suck" and a repetition of the same thing beyond a certain point just annoys me..and plus..i don't think he gives any proof except for saying everything sucks...
    *[Ron Ng]*

~[Zhang Dong Liang]~[Hins Cheung]~[JJ Lin]~[Cecilia Cheung]~[Kenix Kwok]~[Chen Kun]~[Vicki Zhao]~[Leo Ku]~[Kenneth Ma]~

Default Acting discrepancies

The acting discrepancies between the top TVB actors of the 1970s and 1980s and their counterparts today come down to training and experience.

During the 1970s and early 1980s, TVB had an actors' academy where prospective actors were trained by seasoned professionals. The student actors were given bit roles in series, evaluated by the veterans, then gradually promoted to more prominent roles based on their acting ability, screen presence, and overall charisma.

The actors' academy was disbanded sometime in the mid or late 1980s. Many of TVB's younger generation of actors had little or no acting experience before being dropped into significant roles in series.

But the decline in TVB's product quality is attributable to much more than the actors. Although veteran actors have returned to TVB by the droves in recent years, the performances still seem flat. That's because the scripts they're being given to work with and the directors behind the cameras are not particularly compelling right now. Even back in the 1970s and 1980s, TVB scripts and plots were formulaic, but they were well-crafted. Today, that craftsmanship is no longer evident; it all seems made on an assembly line now.

TVB series are not good as they used to be many years ago. I stopped watching TVB series for a while now since none of them seem to catch my attention. Too many boring plots with talentless actors and actresses.

plots are getting too predictable, no fresh ideas, endings are rushed, and actors/actresses needs to improve.

however, life is stressful and mundane, so i still watch tvb anyway.

mildly entertainingly and rarely exciting but once in a while, a good show gets produced.

Banned

Now i only buy old dvd movie modern and ancient series to watch better than watching current release wasting time and money ...

Average productions come out of TVB today. Less plot-oriented than before, and aiming more at promotion of actors and actresses. The 80s TVB could do both easily.

i think tvb today is ok, there are still some series i liked but alot i just cant. overall C would be my grade to it. the best decade i would say 90s, just because those were the years that tvb and atv kinda have a close battle of trying to attracting watchers. the effort is just not there anymore. you can see the special effects are just bad in relative to today's technology. I think I seen better special effects with 1997 DGSD than alot of the ones out now. I think the lack of effort put into the show the cost, not just from production.
    Last edited by Crazy8; 06-03-09 at 01:18 PM.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

agree best is 90s, but i grew up in the 90s so i may be bias. i hated the 80s. early 00s was pretty bad, but late 00s, is getting better again. theres always 2-3 very good drama coming out every year.

btw their grand productions SUCKS
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

At one point I was very defensive of the 80s, thinking that nothing could be better. However, there is good product and bad product from any selection of years.

One thing that I do want to note is that I think overseas Chinese watch/have access to way more # of series than people in Hong Kong since many series are straight to video --> makes crap quotient higher. I compared notes with friend who grew up in HK and turned out I that I watched at least 30% more titles.

After several strangling attempts to watch Korean drama (ie. "Dae Cheung Gum") - talk about draggy - I think HK dramas (for all their hurried endings) are masterful at the short, sweet, and entertaining.

I love the 80s the most, but I am not going to say that EVERY production from the 80s was good. Every decade has both good and bad series. Even though I do love the 80s the most, I am still fair to other companies and decades. I used to watch 90% TVB, but now I rarely watch TVB at all... THere are some good series here and there, but most of them are average at best now.

Back in the 80s, TVB also did not have that much competition since China barely made any series, Taiwanese series were not that good and ATV was not that great either... Therefore, TVB had the upperhand back then, but nowadays... Sad to say, but TVB has gone really downhill....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I love the 80s the most, but I am not going to say that EVERY production from the 80s was good. Every decade has both good and bad series. Even though I do love the 80s the most, I am still fair to other companies and decades. I used to watch 90% TVB, but now I rarely watch TVB at all... THere are some good series here and there, but most of them are average at best now.

Back in the 80s, TVB also did not have that much competition since China barely made any series, Taiwanese series were not that good and ATV was not that great either... Therefore, TVB had the upperhand back then, but nowadays... Sad to say, but TVB has gone really downhill....
    Ironically, having more competition means that people need to work HARDER to maintain an advantage. When there's little or no competition around, people are tempted to get lazy...because (they feel) they can afford to.

In a way, TVB has even LESS competition now, even though there are more actual outlets to compete with them. A paradox? Yes, and it owes to the habitual nature of Hong Kongers more than anything. Hong Kongers are notorious creatures of habit: once they get used to something, moving heaven and earth might not be enough to motivate them to try something new, even if it might be better (as a son of Hong Kongers, I'm as guilty of this as any of them). TVB had a *long* track record of success that started in the mid-1970s, peaked in the 1980s, and didn't fade away completely until the mid-1990s. It's gotten so entrenched in the viewing habits of Hong Kongers that even now, after it's basically sunk to crap for at least the last ten years, people in Hong Kong still make TVB their first choice...because they just can't work up the motivation to turn the dial and see what other channels are playing (and ATV continuing to suck hasn't helped matters either).

But I think the tide is finally turning with China and South Korea having entered the market in a big way during the past few years. Even Hong Kongers' infamous inertia won't sustain TVB's dominance forever if it keeps putting crap in its programming.

I agree that series from the 80s of TVB are the best and yes there are good and bad ones. Yes, TVB is no longer as good as during the 80s but I think they are still the best overall. They are still better than ATV, Mainland China, Taiwan, and Korea. At the very least, their series are moving as a fast pace, not draggy like the Taiwanese and Korean series.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The acting discrepancies between the top TVB actors of the 1970s and 1980s and their counterparts today come down to training and experience.

During the 1970s and early 1980s, TVB had an actors' academy where prospective actors were trained by seasoned professionals. The student actors were given bit roles in series, evaluated by the veterans, then gradually promoted to more prominent roles based on their acting ability, screen presence, and overall charisma.

The actors' academy was disbanded sometime in the mid or late 1980s. Many of TVB's younger generation of actors had little or no acting experience before being dropped into significant roles in series.

But the decline in TVB's product quality is attributable to much more than the actors. Although veteran actors have returned to TVB by the droves in recent years, the performances still seem flat. That's because the scripts they're being given to work with and the directors behind the cameras are not particularly compelling right now. Even back in the 1970s and 1980s, TVB scripts and plots were formulaic, but they were well-crafted. Today, that craftsmanship is no longer evident; it all seems made on an assembly line now.
    Ken, you are absolutely right. Too many actors/actresses these days get leading roles not because of their acting ability but because they are singers, models, ect....

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I agree that series from the 80s of TVB are the best and yes there are good and bad ones. Yes, TVB is no longer as good as during the 80s but I think they are still the best overall. They are still better than ATV, Mainland China, Taiwan, and Korea. At the very least, their series are moving as a fast pace, not draggy like the Taiwanese and Korean series.
    Why am I not shocked to hear this from TC??? Have you even watched any China, Korean or Taiwanese series??? But then again even if you did, you are still as bias as ever. I think TVB can't compare to China and Taiwan these days... They are really downhill....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Ken, you are absolutely right. Too many actors/actresses these days get leading roles not because of their acting ability but because they are singers, models, ect....
    Like what Ken said, it is NOT just the actors and actresses. It is also everyone that works behind the scenes too..I mean, a lot of the veteran actors and actresses from the 80s are coming back to TVB, but the series and all are STILL not that great...

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Ironically, having more competition means that people need to work HARDER to maintain an advantage. When there's little or no competition around, people are tempted to get lazy...because (they feel) they can afford to.

In a way, TVB has even LESS competition now, even though there are more actual outlets to compete with them. A paradox? Yes, and it owes to the habitual nature of Hong Kongers more than anything. Hong Kongers are notorious creatures of habit: once they get used to something, moving heaven and earth might not be enough to motivate them to try something new, even if it might be better (as a son of Hong Kongers, I'm as guilty of this as any of them). TVB had a *long* track record of success that started in the mid-1970s, peaked in the 1980s, and didn't fade away completely until the mid-1990s. It's gotten so entrenched in the viewing habits of Hong Kongers that even now, after it's basically sunk to crap for at least the last ten years, people in Hong Kong still make TVB their first choice...because they just can't work up the motivation to turn the dial and see what other channels are playing (and ATV continuing to suck hasn't helped matters either).

But I think the tide is finally turning with China and South Korea having entered the market in a big way during the past few years. Even Hong Kongers' infamous inertia won't sustain TVB's dominance forever if it keeps putting crap in its programming.
    I totally agree with you... I think that is how one of my friends is. She knows that TVB series are not as great as they used to be but since she is such a loyal and diehard fan, she still remains loyal to TVB ONLY. I often recommend a lot of Taiwanese and Chinese series to her, however, she refuses to give them a try since she is so used to TVB. She even defends TVB all the time and nearly got into an argument with me the other day because of it. She said that TVB series stand out while Taiwanese and Chinese series don't. I don't agree with that at all but didn't want to argue with her so just left it at that...

Why am I not shocked to hear this from TC??? Have you even watched any China, Korean or Taiwanese series??? But then again even if you did, you are still as bias as ever. I think TVB can't compare to China and Taiwan these days... They are really downhill....
    I've watch Taiwan, China and HK (TVB/ATV) series and HK series is still my preference. Maybe it's the language aspect. I still prefer listening to cantonese dialogue. But my most beloved is ATV's 90's dramas because I grew up watching those.

Secondly, China series might be better cinematography and overall acting wise, but, I don't think their plot are better than TVB. As for Taiwan, don't they now mostly produced idol dramas or neverending Hokkien series? Some of the actors in their idol dramas also can't act.

BTW, it's ok for Trien Chieu to think that TVB is the best. It's his opinion. No need to berate him for being bias. Everyone has their biases when it comes to the matter of taste.
    Last edited by kidd; 06-04-09 at 01:20 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Agree with kidd and TC when he said that the series of other productions are slow and draggy compare to TVB. They really are slow.

Biggest issue is writers. They are not willing to step out of their comfort zone to write something daring. In the 80s, u had some writers that took risks which meant u'll still see ur fair share of duds, but where there was a good one, it became a classic.

I recently got into ancient Korean dramas. I dunno, i don't feel like they are draggy. Characters are well developed and you really get into it. Not many shows can create really interesting characters when your show is short.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.