Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off subject question/request

Default H E L P !!!

ok i know websites like www.oklink.net and www.ec35.com/wx has wuxia books in chinese where u can read online...onli problem is my computer doesnt support the text type so i was wondering where can i dl the decoding thing?
    and how come the chinese shows up on my computer wen i go to those wensites fine...but its just wen i try reading a chapter of a book my computer doesnt support the text type nemore? =/

hope someone can help me...thx!

well, if you have IE you might have already have on your computer, just go to View on top of the toolbar, then encoding, then chinese simplified.

if you don't you have it, you can go to www.microsoft.com and look for the it, I'm sorry I can't find the specific link for you yet. If I can find it, I will post it later. Not very sure either since it have been quite along time.
    Last edited by TaiHan; 06-26-04 at 02:35 AM.

Alternatively, you can also download NJStar Communicator at www.njstar.com

Default Requesting a lil' something (not a translation :)

you know those lil' pictures that are on the reading rooms for LOCH, ROCH and HSDS? I am assuming those are book covers. I was wondering if someone could do a HQ scan of those.

I've started reading ROCH about 2 weeks ago, and have already catch up to Noodles, and am so desperate that I visit this board like 3 or 4 times a day in hopes of seeing more translated. In the meanting, I've began reading LOCH. I imagine I'll soon catch up with the translation effort of that one as well and move on to HSDS.

I am fascinated by this kind of fiction, I have never read anything similar, and am truly lookin' forward to reading more.

Anyways, I was wondering if someone could grab me a nice HQ scan of those pictures, and the one on the ROCH page in particular, since that one is the kewlest of'em all, so I could makea krel big poster to hang in my room. I know its kinda selfish to ask this, but I've always been that there's no hurt in asking.

Anyways, thanks for everything.
    Hope more translations keep poppin' up as I won't give up on waiting anytime soon ^_^

Senior Member Du Gu seeking a win's Avatar

Default Re: Requesting a lil' something (not a translation :)

Originally posted by Bloodflowers
    you know those lil' pictures that are on the reading rooms for LOCH, ROCH and HSDS? I am assuming those are book covers. I was wondering if someone could do a HQ scan of those.

Yes, they are book covers. You can find 12 covers of JY's novels (without the ugly yesasia.com marking on it) at:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare....html#ª÷±e¤p´Ì

But they are all of very small jpg format.

[i]
    I've started reading ROCH about 2 weeks ago, and have already catch up to Noodles, and am so desperate that I visit this board like 3 or 4 times a day in hopes of seeing more translated. In the meanting, I've began reading LOCH. I imagine I'll soon catch up with the translation effort of that one as well and move on to HSDS. [/B]

Yeah, I would suggest that every wuxia translation here should have a warning label on it (like on cigarette packs):

Warning:
    Consume of wuxia translations could cause health problems. Delayed delivery of continuation (unfinished translations) could cause cold turkey (withdrawal symptoms).

[what about that, doc Han Solo?]

After you finished reading the unfinished HSDS, I recommend reading the unfinished 'the smiling proud wanderer' (up till 19 of 40 chapters now) translated by Lanny Lin.

If you want to read a complete story, you can put 'Graham Earnshaw' at Google to find his site, then go to the archive 1997 to look for 'Book and sword' (9 chapters). A hint of doc Han.

The sword and its exquisiteness (Gu Long) translated by Athena is also complete (find it here).

[i]
    I am fascinated by this kind of fiction, I have never read anything similar, and am truly lookin' forward to reading more. [/B]

You are not of Asian descent? First contact with this kind of fiction?

[i]
    Hope more translations keep poppin' up as I won't give up on waiting anytime soon ^_^ [/B]

I wouldn't be that optimistic, because a translation took hours (of unpaid work) and they have other things to do. They must do their job or study too.
    Last edited by Du Gu seeking a win; 06-29-04 at 07:04 AM.

Default Re: Re: Requesting a lil' something (not a translation :)

Originally posted by Du Gu seeking a win

Yeah, I would suggest that every wuxia translation here should have a warning label on it (like on cigarette packs):

Warning:
    Consume of wuxia translations could cause health problems. Delayed delivery of continuation (unfinished translations) could cause cold turkey (withdrawal symptoms).

[what about that, doc Han Solo?]

I would suggest something like this:
    Delayed delivery of wuxia translation will cause extreme stress and anxiety. The agitated wuxia fan will frequently endure repetitive stress injury due to the gazillion times they attempt to refresh the translation page per day.

Default Re: Re: Re: Requesting a lil' something (not a translation :)

Originally posted by Han Solo

I would suggest something like this:
    Delayed delivery of wuxia translation will cause extreme stress and anxiety. The agitated wuxia fan will frequently endure repetitive stress injury due to the gazillion times they attempt to refresh the translation page per day.
    And I totally agree with your diagnosis. I am having these symptons, any remedies you might recommend?

Default Archives in Gu Long Reading Room

I was wondering how often the archives in the Gu Long Reading Room get updated. Anybody knows?

Default Re: Re: Requesting a lil' something (not a translation :)

Originally posted by Du Gu seeking a win
    Warning:
    Warning:
    Production of wuxia translations could cause severe problems. Long hours spent have been shown to be detrimental to health, social life, and productivity. Eventually, the benefits (and highs) from producing such products will fade and all that's left are the costs.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Requesting a lil' something (not a translation :)

Originally posted by Eagle
    And I totally agree with your diagnosis. I am having these symptons, any remedies you might recommend?
    One that I found works wonders is learn to read Chinese. Seems to work wonders and cures the dependency problem.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Requesting a lil' something (not a translation :)

Originally posted by Moinllieon
    One that I found works wonders is learn to read Chinese. Seems to work wonders and cures the dependency problem.

Yeah, people who refuse to learn Chinese but have the insolence of still wanting to read wuxia novels, must be severely punished/tortured by forcing them to learn other languages, like: French, Vietnamese, Thai, Korean, Japanese, Indonesian etc. ..........

Well... so now I have catched up with the LOCH translations. I had to give up on the french, but I might consider workin' on it later on, and buying the french translations.

Its quite a change for me, since I have always hated french. But I might just start learning it. It ain't all that hard 'cause portuguese is a latin language, and it should be alot easier tha learning chinese.

That said, I would also like to say that learning chinese has climbed up on my priority list, and so I plan on starting to learn in within the next 2 years (after I graduate). That, along with japanese.

I liked LOCH. Its kewl.It was a bit frustrating reading that part where Yang Kang's mother was clearly being mislead by WanYan HongLie. But other than that, I was enjoying it quite alot. The fight between Qiu Chu Ji and the 7 freaks was really kewl, and with it, the Quan Zhan Sect has climbed alot in my consideration.

And so I have began reading HSDS. And what a disappointement is has been. It started out kewl. SOO KEWL! I really really REALLY like Guo Xiang. I know very little of her, but what I seen is really awesome. She's nice, straitforward, dislikes formalities, doesn't relly too much on her parents and friends, is sharp, smart and intelligent, AND she's a cutie (at least in my mental image she is ^_^) She's now oficially the KEWLEST character in the whole of the 3 stories (even though I have read only a short bit I sincerely doubt anything I read later could change this).
    As I was saying, it has been a disappointmente. I don't like that JunBao character, and right after chaper 2, it fast forwarded like 80 years or something, so now I have no Guo xiang . I was hoping she would be the main character, but I guess not. Jin Yong is treats us very badly in that aspect, the novels never start out with the main character :\.
    I still have some hope that the fella that is takin' on the main role in chapter 3 turns out to be an interesting character, but it can never hope to match Guo Xiang.

Oh well... 'tis life I guess.
    I shouldn't take long to catch up on this one as well, so I guess I'll read the one fully translated that was recommendo (to see something whole for a change

Anyways. Thanks you all for your efforts people!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Requesting a lil' something (not a translation :)

Originally posted by Moinllieon
    Please believe me, I've tried . Nowadays, my professional life and other commitments leave me with no extra time. But I still hope one day I will be able to read the works in their original form.

Looming where light doesnt shine and darkness doesn't blacken

Erm may i know what language is the novels in?
    (afraid might be in dialect)
    To live life like a dream is rare. To let it happen in reality is even more rare.

I think readers will have to come to the forum to read translations now.

Default Not updating the archive?

Can I ask why? It seems so much convenient in every way, for all your loyal readers, to have the translations archived as unbroken chapters.

You should ask SC since she owns the site.

Default Re: Not updating the archive?

Originally posted by dchute
    Can I ask why? It seems so much convenient in every way, for all your loyal readers, to have the translations archived as unbroken chapters.

People don't always have the time to do that I think. IMO it is enough if there is a link there to Noodles collection of translation links thread. Then they can read the latest translations conveniently.

I was going to start a topic to ask this question, but maybe I'll just ask it here. I once found a page with a bunch of art from Jin Yong books, perhaps for new chapter pages. They are all ink drawings. Anybody know of any places to find more complete archives of those images? I know Lanny's page has some for Smiling Proud Wanderer, but I would love to have scans of all the art.

Originally posted by deathblade
    I was going to start a topic to ask this question, but maybe I'll just ask it here. I once found a page with a bunch of art from Jin Yong books, perhaps for new chapter pages. They are all ink drawings. Anybody know of any places to find more complete archives of those images? I know Lanny's page has some for Smiling Proud Wanderer, but I would love to have scans of all the art.

Probably you should ask Lanny Lin, he is a very helpful person:

[email protected]