Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2006

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydayz3
    I think Brazil or Argentina should win.
    I agree.

US is done. so much for the #5 ranking.
    I am a culture unto myself.

Wow, what a match...

That was probably the most emotional match for me i've ever witnessed... November 16th was awesome (I was in the stadia too ), but man...

Firstly, comiserations to Croatia. They gave us a good dog fight when they actually attacked. Still, the refereeing was questionable at best. Tomas and Simunic (TRAITOR!!!) -->

Some points:
    - Early on the passing looked a bit shakey. When we got settled, we played good football.
    - Still always conceding these goals within the first half hour. Most of the time they're through errors which can be eliminated easily. If that happens against Italy their defence is good enough to close down shop. The Italian defence is a few notches above the Japanese, Brasilians and about a notch above the Croats.
    - In saying that, again attacking wise we were very good. Sterjovski had a decent game, a few stray crosses in the early parts of the 2nd half, but he gave it his all.
    - Everyone but Emmo is available for the next match. Emerton will sorely be missed. I predict that either Wilkshire will come into the side and we see Chippers in that makeshift back three, or we could well see Beauchamp starting.
    - All in all, great performance by the boys. Never gave up. Surely this eclipses the America's CUp win already...

Onto Italy and further into the cup!
    Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    And then the massacre, where the meeting of killing XF, became the gathering of being killed by XF.
    Beautifully put.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo26988
    That was probably the most emotional match for me i've ever witnessed... November 16th was awesome (I was in the stadia too ), but man...

Firstly, comiserations to Croatia. They gave us a good dog fight when they actually attacked. Still, the refereeing was questionable at best.
    Great match. I've aged many years by watching that.

It's good to Kewell break his slump infront of goal. This should give him some confidence. Viduka needs to turn faster. He was too slow in front of the box.

The ref-ing was terrible. The rugby tackle was blatant but not even the sideline ref's saw it. And the hand ball punch. They gave Australia the corner but somehow didn't see the punch???? Then the ref booked Simunic twice (2 yellow cards) but didn't send him off till he got his third yellow card. And the end of the match was all confusion. The ref had lost control. He blew the whistle to end the game just as the ball was going over the line for an Australian goal. No one does that these days. Usually when it's a dead play do they blow the whistle. Fifa has to step in. The ref-ing has been very inconsistent. The had to be SOMEONE who new the foul/card situation. But all ref's said nothing

Kalac...butter fingers Kalac....although I blame Hiddink for taking a risk in putting him in. I know the reasons, but Kalac had no play time before this. That first goal Kalac couldn't have done much, but that second one...bah! And then when the ball went over him in the dying minutes and Moore cleared it from the line. I think I died at that point.

Great match. We were lucky to get the Kewell goal allowed though. Looked offside. But Australia deserved it
    Last edited by JigSta; 06-22-06 at 07:23 PM.
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ
    I agree.
    Hardly going out on a limb there is it? But then again, they, along with Germany and Spain has looked the best out of everyone. I'd be shocked if the winner isn't one of those 4.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon
    Hardly going out on a limb there is it? But then again, they, along with Germany and Spain has looked the best out of everyone. I'd be shocked if the winner isn't one of those 4.
    Brazil has too much talent to lose. I would love to see them play Argentina or Spain.

Australia and Croatia drew!
    xD
    GO AUSSIES!!!
    We're into the nest round!!!
    xD xD
    next match :: Italy
    Sleep ish nice!

it will be the swiss and the south koreans later...
    who do you think would advance to the next round/

Quote Originally Posted by KJ
    Brazil has too much talent to lose. I would love to see them play Argentina or Spain.
    If Spain and Brazil win their matches (France and Ghana), they play each other.I'm hanging out for that clash if it happens. GO SPAIN!
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

Brazil has too much talent to lose.
    It's true that they're world champions, but I think everyone is underestimating the other teams. What about the english team? Let's not forget they have David Beckham. Brazil didn't play very efficently in their match against Australia, they showed signs of frustation and they gave us many opportunities.

From the four quarter draws, Italy seem to have it the easiest.

Germany vs Sweden: Germany should come away from this comfortably. Mind you, their defence is very weak.
    Argentina vs Mexico: Argentina i'd imagine will walk away from this.

Italy vs Australia: AUSTRALIA FTW!
    Switzerland vs Ukraine: Hard to choose tbh.

England vs Ecuador: England just. Under Sven they're playing horribly, but their midfield is too good.
    Portugal vs Netherlands: Match of the round IMO.

Brasil vs Ghana: Potentially a very, very good match on the cards.
    Spain vs France: France are horrible. End of. Ribery could have a huge effect tho.

Italy, if going past Australia (AUSTRALIA FTW!!!) will fancy their chances again Ukraine and Switzerland.
    Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    And then the massacre, where the meeting of killing XF, became the gathering of being killed by XF.
    Beautifully put.

wow, germany up 2 within 13mins.

when sbs analyst, tony palumbo picked germany to win the WC before it started, i thought to myself: man, i want whatever he is smoking. their form has been pretty average leading up to the WC.

but i'm more and more convinced now, the new germany is completely different under klinsi, they play such an all out attacking football i don't even recognize them from the germany of the 90's and 2002.

all they have to do now is get over argentina in the quarters.

Damn, the last of the Asian teams are gone. And Brazil is the only team that looks unstoppable... What else is new???
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44
    Damn, the last of the Asian teams are gone. And Brazil is the only team that looks unstoppable... What else is new???
    Germany has looked pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterl0us
    It's true that they're world champions, but I think everyone is underestimating the other teams. What about the english team? Let's not forget they have David Beckham. Brazil didn't play very efficently in their match against Australia, they showed signs of frustation and they gave us many opportunities.
    What? Have you even seen England play this World Cup? If you think Brazil played badly..... well let me tell you, England have been even worse. Their best game was against Sweden where they had a horrible second half. Let's not even talk about their matches against Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago. Even Ecuador looked better than them in the group stages.

As for Brazil, it's true they have been far from their best so far. But even in their uninspiring performances againts Croatia (who played very well) and Australia, there was the odd moment of genius and brilliance. Nothing like that from England.

Wanting to rate other teams' chances is fine. But please not England, especially not they way they have been playing. And Beckham is not everything........neither is Rooney.

Quote Originally Posted by Bai Qi44
    Excuse me? They hardly look unstoppable to me. Very disappointing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo26988
    Argentina vs Mexico: Argentina i'd imagine will walk away from this.
    Mexico gave Argentina a pretty good fight. I'll say Argentina had some luck in that one. Superb strike by Rodriguez though. Quite a captivating match.

Quote Originally Posted by c13:4567
    but i'm more and more convinced now, the new germany is completely different under klinsi, they play such an all out attacking football i don't even recognize them from the germany of the 90's and 2002.
    Agreed. I expected to be bored by Germany. 'Twas a pleasant surprise.
    Last edited by dgfds01; 06-25-06 at 06:32 AM.

Upper half of the Quarterfinal

Germany vs Argentina
    England vs Portugal

These two games will be awesome, especially Germany vs Argentina, one of them has a shot to be the champion in this WC

Too bad, my team, the Oranje lost. I wonder what would had happened if Van Basten were to let Ruud van Nistelrooij play They had so many chances, Ricardo was a great goal keeper for Portugal though. What a horrible referee in this game, the Russian referee should be shot dead. Geez!

Now let's see if Ghana can upset Brazil. I suspect Spain will should give France a spank.
    Nobody cares about Switzerland vs Ukranie, and I think Italy will stop the Socceroos' cinderella's story.
    Last edited by Temujin; 06-25-06 at 07:59 PM.
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

What a horrible referee in this game, the Russian referee should be shot dead. Geez!
    Phwoooaaaarrr…4 Red Cards + 16 Yellows - the ref truly was the man of the match.

He did not do his job right, he would’ve made my day if a 5th red was shown on Figo.

Anyhow, hail to the ref, you’ve done England proud.
    Last edited by Hanky Panky; 06-25-06 at 07:26 PM.

Default Little Svennis vs Big Phil, Round 3

Quote Originally Posted by Hanky Panky
    Anyhow, hail to the ref, you’ve done England proud.
    Give him a knighthood! Perhaps Sven asked a certain London club chairman to have a word with the Russian ref beforehand. After all, it's the only way – on current performance – that England are going to have a chance against Portugal.

The title, although a very good pun on the manager's name is a bit misleading with all that's been going on in Sven's love life.
    Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx
    Give him a knighthood! Perhaps Sven asked a certain London club chairman to have a word with the Russian ref beforehand. After all, it's the only way – on current performance – that England are going to have a chance against Portugal.
    I actually want to know what the ref was on. I'd like to try some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01
    Agreed. I expected to be bored by Germany. 'Twas a pleasant surprise.
    I'm sick and tired of people saying Germany was a boring team that doesn't attack.

Going into the 2002 Finals, Brazil only scored 2 more goals over the entire tournament than Germany. In that Final, Germany had more possession, had more shots, more shots on goals, matched Brazil on posts hit (1), and was thoroughly dominating the affair until Kahn's error gave Brazil the opening goal. Brazil then hit the Germans one more time on a counter then sat on the lead for the rest of the match. Despite of all of that, the Germans still ended up with more shots and more shots on goal than the Brazilians.

Whichever.

In 1994, Germany scored 9 goals before going out 2-1 to Bulgaria. Brazil scored 10 goals despite winning the whole thing in the worst Finals ever.

Yeah, the Germans don't attack my arse. If anything, they are usually the second or third most attacking team in any World Cup. In 1974, they scored only 2 less goals than that storied Dutch team led by Cruyff. In 1990, Germany scored 15 goals on route to winning the most defensive tournament ever. (That's right, 15.) Argentina scored 5 to reach the Finals, Italy scored 8, England scored 7, how many did Brazil score? Four. That's right, 4. In the group stages, Germany scored 10 and Brazil scored 4. Who attacks more?

In Euro1992, Germany scored 7 goals (and allowed 8, both highest in the tournament) on route to losing in the Finals to a Denmark squad that scored 6 goals in the entire tourney. In Euro1996, Germany once again scored the most goals in the tournament with 10 goals (England, finished second with 8). And of course they were not good at all the last 2 Euros, quite memorably and well remembered by the English press.

But seriously, I'm just tired of hearing how everyone keeps saying how Germany is a boring squad and whatnot. Have they actually been watching/paying attention to these tournaments? How come no matter how boring the Brazilians play (and boy were they boring in 1990 and 1994), nobody ever slyly brings that up?

Anybody who expects Germany to defend
    Last edited by Moinllieon; 06-25-06 at 10:33 PM.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.