Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2006

I hope Spain gives Brazil a spank, I don't think the Italians are impressive enough.
    - WuxiaSociety.org (formerly known as wuxiamania forum) -

----- the society of global wuxia fans ----

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    I hope Spain gives Brazil a spank, I don't think the Italians are impressive enough.
    Shame it won't happen now. Typical Spanish exit. Inconsistency and bad luck.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

The Spanish are just crud when it comes to performing on the world stage.

The last couple of minutes in the first half was breathtaking stuff. Counterattack after counterattack.

My respect for Henry has not diminished despite his efforts of conning the ref into giving the fouler a red. He’s not the same No.14 player that you often see in Arsenal when he plays for France both in personality and ability.

Brazil VS France is going to be a game of epic proportions when the 2 giants of Ronaldo and Zidane meet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon
    Shame it won't happen now. Typical Spanish exit. Inconsistency and bad luck.
    Yep typical poor Spaniard, but I don't feel too bad because my team, the Hollanders always choke too, no matter how good they played they never made it at the World Cup, damn it!

The French did play well, beyond my expectation today, I hope they can repeat the upset on Brazil.

Default The Best - Ronaldinho

To me Ronaldinho has been by far the best player of this tournament. Brazil have only conceded 1 goal thus far and that is thanks to the brilliant defensive play of Ronaldinho. He has proven at this tournament that he is the undisputedly the world’s greatest defensive midfield player ever.

Throughout this tournament he has marked opposing attacking midfielders like Japan’s Shunsuke Nakamura, Croatia’s Niko Kovac, Australia’s Harry Kewell, and Ghana’s Stephen Appiah out of the game. He has kept them virtually quiet and not even allowed any of these men to make an impact on the game through his tough talking.

Brazillian No. 10’s are know for their dazzling dribbling skills, creative passing, attacking skill, and goal scoring abilities.

Perhaps the best bit of trickery and skill that Ronaldinho has demonstrated during this tournament is to wear the prized No. 10 shirt. Sucking opponents into thinking that he is the creative heart and soul of the Brazillian attack. So whilst opposing coaches, who are none the wiser, keep a watchful eye on the defensive minded Ronaldinho the “real” Brazillian No. 10, Kaka is able to take full advantage. Free of the attention Kaka is able to set up his forwards like Ronaldo and Adriano with excellent passes.

I tip my hat off to Ronaldinho for his world class exhibition of defence in this tournament. Very inspiring play indeed.
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    I tip my hat off to Ronaldinho for his world class exhibition of defence in this tournament. Very inspiring play indeed.
    It's not often I see someone carry out irony so badly, but hey, comedy is tough. Don't get discouraged, you'll get it someday.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    To me Ronaldinho has been by far the best player of this tournament. Brazil have only conceded 1 goal thus far and that is thanks to the brilliant defensive play of Ronaldinho. He has proven at this tournament that he is the undisputedly the world’s greatest defensive midfield player ever.

Throughout this tournament he has marked opposing attacking midfielders like Japan’s Shunsuke Nakamura, Croatia’s Niko Kovac, Australia’s Harry Kewell, and Ghana’s Stephen Appiah out of the game. He has kept them virtually quiet and not even allowed any of these men to make an impact on the game through his tough talking.

Brazillian No. 10’s are know for their dazzling dribbling skills, creative passing, attacking skill, and goal scoring abilities.

Perhaps the best bit of trickery and skill that Ronaldinho has demonstrated during this tournament is to wear the prized No. 10 shirt. Sucking opponents into thinking that he is the creative heart and soul of the Brazillian attack. So whilst opposing coaches, who are none the wiser, keep a watchful eye on the defensive minded Ronaldinho the “real” Brazillian No. 10, Kaka is able to take full advantage. Free of the attention Kaka is able to set up his forwards like Ronaldo and Adriano with excellent passes.

I did my best maintaining my suspension of disbelief whilst reading this. Sorry, better luck next time.

i reckon it is gonna be a humdinger of a match tonite. liking the new gung-ho german team, come on Deutschland !

came across this interesting article on Jürgen Klinsmann's courageous, cavalier approach by a german analyst.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...rldcup&cc=3888

"Boy, am I glad that the host team just takes the ball, moves upfield and tries to score goals, no messing about and no shuffling around.

There, I never thought I could write a sentence like that about Germany and get away with it, but times have obviously changed. A 'truly historic revolution' is what César Luis Menotti calls Germany's displays at this World Cup, and I don't want to argue with a man who's been more critical of Germany in the past than I have, which is saying something."

"Just last week, the German-French politician Daniel Cohn-Bendit told a Berlin newspaper: 'Klinsmann has fallen back upon Menotti's left-wing wisdom: football is all about scoring one more goal than the opposition.'

That refers to Menotti's fairly famous distinction between left-wing football (marked by creativity, fun and offensive play) and right-wing football (characterised by negativity, fear and only caring about results).

I have yet to meet someone who can conclusively explain what football tactics have got to do with politics, but there's little doubt Klinsmann is leaning more towards Menotti's football, whichever term you use for it, than, say, Trapattoni's game."

Wow, I can't believe France beat Brazil again. I guess if the Brazilians have an arch-nemisis, it's the French.

Anyway, Germany - Italy - France - Portugal... all European teams in the final 4. I don't know who's going to be in the finals, but I can bet Germany would be one of them cause the of the home country thing.
    青山不改,绿水长留. 请啊!

http://www.geocities.com/wackyjlee/Others/lee.swf <----Chen Zhen (Bruce Lee version) kicking arse

If the French play like they did today then I'll suspect we'll see Germany vs France.

Zidane, Zidane, Zidane, I'm now convinced that he is among the greatest footballers who have ever lived

Pele - Cruyff - Maradona - Zidane

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5757/dead1tk1.jpg')

Brazilian fan Nilda Amorim (C) suffers a heart attack and her daughter (L) smiles thinking she is pretending, while watching the quarter-final match between France and Brazil in Rio de Janeiro Brazil, just after France scored the goal in the World Cup Germany 2006, 01 July 2006. France won 1-0 and will face Portugal in semi-finals(Photo credit should read CAIO LEAL/AFP/Getty Images)
    Last edited by Temujin; 07-01-06 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    Pele - Cruyff - Maradona - Zidane
    Alfredo Di Stefano.
    ..ext88

I though it's going to be England v Brazil, but they got knocked out. WTH.

Eriksson have finished his last game as England boss, but Zidane still continuing - when is his last game - the final in Berlin?
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    Alfredo Di Stefano.
    And he left out Beckenbauer, Eusebio, Zico, Puskas, and Garrincha as well.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Default Sad Now That Brazil Are Gone

It's a sad and tragic loss now that Brazil are gone. Coming into this tournament as heavy underdogs to win the World Cup, thier cinderella ride to the Quarter Finals has ended at the hands of France. But as they leave Germany to board thier flight home, they can hold thier heads up high. Like Cameroon at Italy 90' and Senegal of Japan/Korea in 2002, no one expected Brazil to get this far. So they have done the fans and nation proud.

They have earned many admirers at this tournament through playing what they call beautiful football. They played with passion and relentess attacking only to fall to the defensive and counter-attacking style of the French who for most part did nothing to suggest that they would win the match. An underserving way to go out really. But that's football.

Prior to the tournament there were many suggestions that Ronaldinho is a player to be reckoned with. A player comparable to Maradona. Having watched the way Ronaldihno inspired the minow Brazillians to the Quarter Finals one would suggest that he is greater than Maradona. For he achieved in this World Cup what Maradona could not even dream off.

Most would agree that Maradona was just one of a number of superstars in the Argentina squad of 1986 that won the World Cup. Legends such as Batista, Cuciuffo, and Giusti played alongside Maradona. How Ronaldinho would envy to have at least one of these men playing alongside him. No, in this World Cup poor Ronaldinho had to put up with the likes of B-Grade players such as Ronaldo, Adriano, Kaka, Juniho, and so forth. All these men play at minow clubs in Europe.

So at the end of the day Ronaldinho has achieved much with this Brazillian sqaud and demonstrates that he has much more in common with Maradona then just simply wearing the No 10 shirt.....
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

gosh, i feel like the dumbest kid around. i didnt find the sports section till now

but, so what does everyone think. who will compete for the world cup, and who will it be for 3rd place?

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    I though it's going to be England v Brazil, but they got knocked out. WTH.

Eriksson have finished his last game as England boss, but Zidane still continuing - when is his last game - the final in Berlin?
    I have the feeling that Eriksson botched the whole thing on purpose.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang
    I have the feeling that Eriksson botched the whole thing on purpose.
    GX, my dear... There's nothing purposeful about Eriksson's tactics... I'm sorry, but he's been utter shit for England throughout his tenure.

Personally, for my own ego i want Italy to win as so we can say "We were knocked out by the eventual champions"... But they hardly deserve it.

Before i thought Argentina would've won. Was proven wrong. Peckerman *Shakes head*

Ahh well... Germany vs France final, i'll bet.

Portugal to win 3rd place...

Best player(s) ever: EMMANUEL PETIT!!! & LUCAS NEILL!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    And then the massacre, where the meeting of killing XF, became the gathering of being killed by XF.
    Beautifully put.

Which country do you guys think is going to take the cup??

Quote Originally Posted by fireball
    Which country do you guys think is going to take the cup??
    Germany! *waves the support-germany banner*
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 07-03-06 at 11:34 PM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."