Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2006

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    Can someone tell me who heck these guys are? They arn't even good enough to make the Trinidad side. So how can England possibly stand a chance filling the team with such low quality players.

Bring back the likes of Gordon Banks, Geoffrey Hurst, John Connelly, and Robert Charlton I say. They're mad for leaving them out of the World Cup squad

I think you need some updates seriously.
    Day and Night ~~~Left and Right ~~~Ups and Downs ~~~Front and Back ~~~Good and Bad~~~

The Opposite of life

Can someone tell me who heck these guys are? They arn't even good enough to make the Trinidad side. So how can England possibly stand a chance filling the team with such low quality players.

Bring back the likes of Gordon Banks, Geoffrey Hurst, John Connelly, and Robert Charlton I say. They're mad for leaving them out of the World Cup squad
    Don't forget there's Joe Cole, he is in superb form now...
    ..ext88

World Cup 2006 Analysis and Prediction

Group A
    1. Germany, 2.Ecuador, 3. Poland, 4. Costa Rica

The “Group of Death” is always a tough one to predict. All four teams are World Cup giants who evenly balanced and any of them can qualify for the round of 16. With Germany being the hosts it’s a no-brainer that they should top the group. Ecuador, Poland and Costa Rica all stand a good chance of qualifying. But my pick is Ecuador.

Group B
    1. Trinidad and Tobago, 2.Sweden, 3. Paraguay, 4. England

With powerhouse Trinidad and Tobago captained by Dwight Yorke in this group, Sweden, Paraguay, and England can only hope to finish second place. It is mostly likely that the classy Swedes will qualify ahead of Paraguay. England choosing to field a team on no namers and no hopers will be happy if they can come away from this campaign with a draw or at minimum score a goal.

Group C
    1. Holland, 2. Ivory Coast, 3. Argentina, 4. Serbia and Montenegro

The “Group of Life” is always an interesting one. 4 hopeless teams with no chance of winning the World Cup all falling into the same group. Who cares who comes out on top of this group as they are likely to be eliminated in the next round. Rolling the dice to pick these out of the hat, Holland and Ivory Coast gets my tip.

Group D
    1. Mexico, 2. Angola, 3. Portugal, 4. Iran

The Mexicans are sure to be too classy for the rest of the teams and run away with first spot. This group also presents the so called “golden boys” of Portuguese Football with another opportunity to demonstrate how badly they can choke in major tournaments. In every World Cup there is an African team that causes upsets and slain giants. In this campaign it will be Angola.

Group E

1. Czech Republic, 2. Italy, 3. USA, 4. Ghana

The “Group of Bore” will put anyone to sleep. There’s no question then that the dreamers like Czech Republic and Italy will go through.

Group F

1. Croatia, 2. Australia, 3. Brazil, 4. Japan

In most World Cups the red hot favourites prior to the tournament have always failed at either the group stage or the round of 16 and this trend is likely to continue. Brazil as favourite will be too much for the players to handle. Even with a star studded team, they will struggle like Real Madrid in the Champions League and will be upset by not superstars but teams of champions. In this regard Croatia look most likely to qualify. Australia have the Guus Hiddink factor, a man who always lifts teams of no-namers to success at the World Cup and Champions League level. Japan are coached by a Brazilian – enough said.

Group G
    1.Switzerland, 2. South Korea, 3. France, 4. Togo

This is likely to be an interesting group. Switzerland are no doubt the best team by far and will qualify in top spot. South Korea and France playing World Cups away from home will struggle unless referees and match officials do them great favours like in previous World Cups. France are full of flashy players who play for money and not honour and hence will fail like they did in 2002. South Korea on the other hand have nothing to lose. Who invited Togo to this party?

Group H
    1. Ukraine, 2. Saudi Arabia, 3. Tunisia, 4. Spain

Ukraine who has the talents of Andriy Shevchenko are sure to be too classy for the rest of the teams in the group. Spain once again will get an opportunity to shine as the world’s best chokers by failing yet again to qualify out of the group stage. Saudi Arabi will feel as if they have struck gold once again like they did at USA 94 by being drawn in the same group as Spain. It’s a definite win for them and all they need to do to qualify is beat Tunisia their next toughest opposition besides Ukraine.
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say those were ironic and sarcastic.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

I'm gonna hand Long some paper towel to wipe that brown substance off his mouth, as he's getting too full of it.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Group A

The “Group of Death” is always a tough one to predict. All four teams are World Cup giants who evenly balanced and any of them can qualify for the round of 16. With Germany being the hosts it’s a no-brainer that they should top the group. Ecuador, Poland and Costa Rica all stand a good chance of qualifying. But my pick is Ecuador.

Group B

With powerhouse Trinidad and Tobago captained by Dwight Yorke in this group, Sweden, Paraguay, and England can only hope to finish second place. It is mostly likely that the classy Swedes will qualify ahead of Paraguay. England choosing to field a team on no namers and no hopers will be happy if they can come away from this campaign with a draw or at minimum score a goal.

Group C

The “Group of Life” is always an interesting one. 4 hopeless teams with no chance of winning the World Cup all falling into the same group. Who cares who comes out on top of this group as they are likely to be eliminated in the next round. Rolling the dice to pick these out of the hat, Holland and Ivory Coast gets my tip.

Group D

The Mexicans are sure to be too classy for the rest of the teams and run away with first spot. This group also presents the so called “golden boys” of Portuguese Football with another opportunity to demonstrate how badly they can choke in major tournaments. In every World Cup there is an African team that causes upsets and slain giants. In this campaign it will be Angola.

Group E

The “Group of Bore” will put anyone to sleep. There’s no question then that the dreamers like Czech Republic and Italy will go through.

Group F

In most World Cups the red hot favourites prior to the tournament have always failed at either the group stage or the round of 16 and this trend is likely to continue. Brazil as favourite will be too much for the players to handle. Even with a star studded team, they will struggle like Real Madrid in the Champions League and will be upset by not superstars but teams of champions. In this regard Croatia look most likely to qualify. Australia have the Guus Hiddink factor, a man who always lifts teams of no-namers to success at the World Cup and Champions League level. Japan are coached by a Brazilian – enough said.

Group G

This is likely to be an interesting group. Switzerland are no doubt the best team by far and will qualify in top spot. South Korea and France playing World Cups away from home will struggle unless referees and match officials do them great favours like in previous World Cups. France are full of flashy players who play for money and not honour and hence will fail like they did in 2002. South Korea on the other hand have nothing to lose. Who invited Togo to this party?

Group H

Ukraine who has the talents of Andriy Shevchenko are sure to be too classy for the rest of the teams in the group. Spain once again will get an opportunity to shine as the world’s best chokers by failing yet again to qualify out of the group stage. Saudi Arabi will feel as if they have struck gold once again like they did at USA 94 by being drawn in the same group as Spain. It’s a definite win for them and all they need to do to qualify is beat Tunisia their next toughest opposition besides Ukraine.
    You must be out of your mind to:

a)collectively write off England, Argentina, Portugal, Brazil, France, and Spain.

b) think that Trinidad and Tobago is a "powerhouse " under the old and useless Dwight Yorke.

c) compare Brazil to Real Madrid. Come on, they have enough talents to form 2 Samba Madrids.

You might as well say Togo will win the world Cup.

Here's my pick:

Group A

1. Germany, 2.Ecuador

Group B

1. England, 2.Sweden

Group C

1. Argentina, 2. Holland

Group D

1. Portugal, 2. Mexico

Group E

1. Italy, 2. Czech Republic

Group F

1. Brazil, 2. Australia

Group G

1.France, 2. South Korea

Group H

1. Spain, 2. Ukraine

No in-depth analysis involved. Bet at your own risk.
    Last edited by FruityPunch; 03-13-06 at 11:03 AM.
    "By nature, men are nearly alike; by practice, they get to be wide apart."

this is an interesting topic.......well i have always cheered for england then my second choice is france.............and not to forget asian teams

Australia will win the thing.

In other WC Related news:

- Lippi has named his pre-WC training squad. No Totti as expected due to injury, but Inzaghi gets a call up to the trainnig squad.
    - Rooney out, as everyone knows. Owen back from a small injury though.
    - Craig Moore seems like he will force his way back into the Australian team. And boy, do we need him.
    - Lothar Matthaeus apparently wants the Germany job. But not until he's coached club first.

Group A
    1. Germany 2.Ecuador

Group B
    1. England 2.Sweden

Group C
    1. Holland 2. Argentina

Group D
    1. Mexico 2. Portugal

Group E
    1. Czech Rep 2. Italy

Group F
    1. Brazil 2. Croatia

Group G
    1.France 2. Switzerland

Group H
    1. Spain 2. Ukraine

Germany, England, Holland, Argentina, Czech, Brazil, France, Spain
    Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Czech
    Czech, Brazil
    Brazil
    Last edited by yittz; 05-10-06 at 09:26 AM.

Group A

Group B

Group C

Group D

Group E

Group F

Group G

Group H
    Note to self: gamble on sports with Long.

and bet big.
    Last edited by c13:4567; 05-14-06 at 05:46 AM.

Some updates:

England
    Surprise additions: Walcott, Lennon
    Surprise ommissions: D. Bent, Defoe, King

Holland
    Surprise addtions: -
    Surprise ommissions: Seedorf, Davids, Makaay, Huntelaar
    ..ext88

I think Brazil will win again,because the Germans are so bad this year at football.They've no chance to win!!

Quote Originally Posted by hIpHoPgIrL
    I think Brazil will win again,because the Germans are so bad this year at football.They've no chance to win!!
    Hard to say man. There's always home advantage......
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by c13:4567
    Note to self: gamble on sports with Long.

and bet big.
    i don't know a lot about soccer, but i would still bet with long too!

World Cup 2006 Predictions

Group A
    1. Germany, 2. Ecuador

Group B
    1. England 2. Sweden

Group C
    1. Argentina 2. Holland

Group D
    1. Portugal 2. Mexico

Group E

1. Czech Republic 2. Italy
    Group F

1. Brazil 2. Japan (as much as i like Australia, i wouldn't place any money on them)

Group G
    1.South Korea 2. France

Group H
    1. Spain 2. Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88
    Surprise ommissions: Seedorf, Davids, Makaay, Huntelaar
    I'd hardly call the ommision of Davids and Seedorf (And even makaay to an extent) suprising. I don't think the former two have featured much under van Basten, whereas Makaay has had a dreadful season by his standards. Huntelaar should've been there tho.

I think Lennon should be able to do well... Not sure on Walcott though. We'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by hIpHoPgIrL
    Klinsmann is under pressure to win. In saying that, i don't think Germany or Brasil will win it. Don't believe the hype that is Brasil. Last month i would've backed Argentina, but since they didn't include Javier Zanetti i hope they crash and burn. Scaloni's not fit to lick clean Zanetti's boots.

Quote Originally Posted by "0-0-0
    Group F

1. Brazil 2. Japan (as much as i like Australia, i wouldn't place any money on them)
    I think that's the beauty of the Australian team. No one knows what we're capable of doing. Every Australian fan is dead set certain that the final game against Croatia will be the decider on who goes through with Brasil. A lot are under estimating Japan. They're a very good team, but it's clear Australia can match them all over the park, and in most cases better them.

Croatia will be a tough hurdle though. Klasnic seems to be finally hitting form for the national team, and we know how good Prso always performs for Croatia.
    Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    And then the massacre, where the meeting of killing XF, became the gathering of being killed by XF.
    Beautifully put.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo26988
    I'd hardly call the ommision of Davids and Seedorf (And even makaay to an extent) suprising. I don't think the former two have featured much under van Basten, whereas Makaay has had a dreadful season by his standards. Huntelaar should've been there tho.

I think Lennon should be able to do well... Not sure on Walcott though. We'll see...

Klinsmann is under pressure to win. In saying that, i don't think Germany or Brasil will win it. Don't believe the hype that is Brasil. Last month i would've backed Argentina, but since they didn't include Javier Zanetti i hope they crash and burn. Scaloni's not fit to lick clean Zanetti's boots.

I think that's the beauty of the Australian team. No one knows what we're capable of doing. Every Australian fan is dead set certain that the final game against Croatia will be the decider on who goes through with Brasil. A lot are under estimating Japan. They're a very good team, but it's clear Australia can match them all over the park, and in most cases better them.

Croatia will be a tough hurdle though. Klasnic seems to be finally hitting form for the national team, and we know how good Prso always performs for Croatia.

Australia will not make to the next round look at the players we got and look at the players the other teams has, it's not looking good. If u watched the Greece V Aussie game like i did, it was a massive disappointment both teams played like crap, without Kewell we lack attacking power.

Quote Originally Posted by - L1n -
    Australia will not make to the next round look at the players we got and look at the players the other teams has, it's not looking good. If u watched the Greece V Aussie game like i did, it was a massive disappointment both teams played like crap, without Kewell we lack attacking power.
    Yes i did see the Greece match. Unfortunately i did not make it to the game so i can't comment a lot on the overall off the ball positioning etc... However, i think they key thing we witnessed that brings a lot of positives is that are passing is much, much slicker than it ever was under Farina. I remember when we had Okon in midfield. As brilliant a player as he was, he always use to go for the killer pass. In the back the passing wasn't flash either. Now it's different. Everyone knows when to pass forward when needed. Everyone reacts quickly as well because they KNOW that if they don't perform that they're off. No one expected Kewell to be on the bench against Uruguay in Sydney. No one really expected Thompson to start in Montevideo. In Hiddink's first game no one expected Bresc to be on the bench. No one expected Kalac to start ahead of Schwarzer. Did you think Elrich was a certain for the squad? (Although i feel he would've added a lot to the squad)

I'm not saying that qualification to the 2nd round will be a dead set given. In fact, i think i'm one of the fans that will just be happy if Australia are very competitive. I just think we shouldn't rule out the possibility. Its always been stated that if we're on song then we can beat anyone in the world. Brasil aren't dead set champions just yet. Yes we should treat them with respect. However, not so much so that we'll lay down to them and concede defeat.

And on player comparisons. Our squad is very good. The only real worry is still the defence. The midfield is perfect. You've got Bresc, Kewell, Grella, Culina, Chippers who can move forward, Cahill and Skoko. Emerton as well (Inconsistent, however). Viduka is also a classy player who will cause any defence a bit of a hassle.
    And then the massacre, where the meeting of killing XF, became the gathering of being killed by XF.
    Beautifully put.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo26988
    Yes i did see the Greece match. Unfortunately i did not make it to the game so i can't comment a lot on the overall off the ball positioning etc... However, i think they key thing we witnessed that brings a lot of positives is that are passing is much, much slicker than it ever was under Farina. I remember when we had Okon in midfield. As brilliant a player as he was, he always use to go for the killer pass. In the back the passing wasn't flash either. Now it's different. Everyone knows when to pass forward when needed. Everyone reacts quickly as well because they KNOW that if they don't perform that they're off. No one expected Kewell to be on the bench against Uruguay in Sydney. No one really expected Thompson to start in Montevideo. In Hiddink's first game no one expected Bresc to be on the bench. No one expected Kalac to start ahead of Schwarzer. Did you think Elrich was a certain for the squad? (Although i feel he would've added a lot to the squad)

I'm not saying that qualification to the 2nd round will be a dead set given. In fact, i think i'm one of the fans that will just be happy if Australia are very competitive. I just think we shouldn't rule out the possibility. Its always been stated that if we're on song then we can beat anyone in the world. Brasil aren't dead set champions just yet. Yes we should treat them with respect. However, not so much so that we'll lay down to them and concede defeat.

And on player comparisons. Our squad is very good. The only real worry is still the defence. The midfield is perfect. You've got Bresc, Kewell, Grella, Culina, Chippers who can move forward, Cahill and Skoko. Emerton as well (Inconsistent, however). Viduka is also a classy player who will cause any defence a bit of a hassle.

Yes the passing has definitely imrpoved under Guus but is the passing good enough? thats the question, look at the passing style of all the major contenders and there that extra spark we lack, and history is not on our side either. In terms of individual flare te only person i would say can match the stars of other teams is Kewell as much as i think breciano is a great player, if we put him in a team like juve chelsea or Man utd he will be considrerd a bench player. Only kewell to me can start on any qold class team. No need to mention Brasil cos it's like 90 percent obvius they r gonna top it, when u have Fatnaldo, Adriano,Ronadinho,Kaka,robinho. thats a killer blow to our defence.

Everyone thinks Japan is crap for some reason, but if we consider every player they got and what we got they got the slight edge is talent and skills + Veterans with world cup experience Nakata, Inamoto the list goes on. While Croatia, they r absolutely the inform team of the group beating Argentina 4-3 is a massive testament to their skills.

So from the get go Australia's needs to be world class anything sub standard we r gonna get our asses handed to us, our weakness is definitely our defence.

Quote Originally Posted by - L1n -
    Yes the passing has definitely imrpoved under Guus but is the passing good enough? thats the question, look at the passing style of all the major contenders and there that extra spark we lack, and history is not on our side either. In terms of individual flare te only person i would say can match the stars of other teams is Kewell as much as i think breciano is a great player, if we put him in a team like juve chelsea or Man utd he will be considrerd a bench player. Only kewell to me can start on any qold class team. No need to mention Brasil cos it's like 90 percent obvius they r gonna top it, when u have Fatnaldo, Adriano,Ronadinho,Kaka,robinho. thats a killer blow to our defence.

Everyone thinks Japan is crap for some reason, but if we consider every player they got and what we got they got the slight edge is talent and skills + Veterans with world cup experience Nakata, Inamoto the list goes on. While Croatia, they r absolutely the inform team of the group beating Argentina 4-3 is a massive testament to their skills.

So from the get go Australia's needs to be world class anything sub standard we r gonna get our asses handed to us, our weakness is definitely our defence.

Not just passing, but also the composure on the ball is so much better. Under Farina is just seemed like we weren't organised and didn't go anywhere. If a team were to pressure us we'd lose posession or just boot the ball up field to no one.

In terms of flair, yes Kewell is the only player that would be considered 'flairy' for Australia. Regarding Bresc. He might be considered a bench to most, but IMO, he would be able to do a very good job when called upon. For his career (And Grella's career) sake i hope he moves on from Parma. The only way he'll be able to show that he's a great is at a bigger club. Just wait and see.

Many Australian fans are cluless when it comes to Asian teams. They think Korea is crap. They think Iran are crap. They think Japan are crap. They think Saudi... Okay, disregard the final one. Point is, Japan are good but if we're to compare player by player Australia's players are superior. Just. History at the WC means nothing. 2002 France and Argentina were the clear favourites. Both bombed out. Turkey did amazingly considering they had only qualified for one (Yes, one) WC prior to Japorea 2002. We don't even need to consider Senegal because we saw what they did. Mind you, we could do a China or Saudi Arabia and bomb out, but it's unlikely the magnitude would be as big. Also, remember, in 2002 Japan and Korea had the support of the home crowd. That goes a long way. It's clear that Japan won't have the same level of support. Brasil and Croatia especially, probably will. However, so will Australia. The team won over a lot of fans due to their confederation's cup performance (Which was shocking, but we scored goals against very reputable teams). I wouldn't be suprised if the German fans cheer Australia on.

Croatia drew with Iran overnight/two nights ago, 2-all. They might've beaten Argentina 4-3, but it shows they can leak goals. No doubt we can as well, however, we've only conceeded what? 3 goals under Hiddink (One of which was when he wasn't even in charge of proceedings). Our defence, as you said, is still clearly our weakest point. That's probably only because we lack sufficient depth at this point. There's a lot of talk about Beauchamp, but he's for the future. Popovic is past it and a hack now. Miligan is a possible future candidate as well. But for this moment if Moore and Neill are fine, then the defence isn't so weak.

BTW Lin, i've noticed that you're from Sydney. Which part specifically? I'm meaning to go back and visit my home town. =D
    Follow Sydney FC much?
    Beautifully put.