Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2006

1. They think they're the best team in the world, and they whine even worst then the Italians when they lose a major tournament - ie in every tournament, England were robbed.
    Like wat one person has mentioned, it is mostly the press dat distorts the infomation.... Who doesn't think dat they are the best? Every man believe he got the prettiest wife at home... No offence...

2. They have some of the worst fans in the world - whenever England lose a riot starts in every host country of that tournament it seems.
    Fans are not equal to the team... u can't blame the team for others' action... At the same time, u can look at the other extreme and say they are loyal though and "patriotic"

. The English press make if feel as if England go into every World Cup as the "defending" Champions - yeah defending champions from 1966.
    U juz said it was the press.. not the team

4. They're all hype and of little substance - when was the last they made a major finals of any tournament?? Even under achieving Spain managed to get a Gold medal at the Olympics at least in recent decades...
    If they are of little substance, it means the most teams are not as well... Sometimes, positioning is not reflective of ppl's strengths... Dun u agree? it is more like a measure of the performance during DAT time period... If they really got no substance, clubs would not wan to buy them to play for their team

5. David Beckam is thier captain - enough s
    i may not really like him becoz of his attitude but u have got to admit he is eally good at crosses... I am not sure about ur pt,.. u are referring to his captainship, his attitude or his skills?
    I love the golden 80s period of TVB!!!
    Michael Miu + Barbara Yung = MOST FAV COUPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon
    Serie A is by far and away number 1 in Japan. So they got that going for them.
    Didn't know that. Interesting that they love Serie A and still manage to be Beckham mad.

Quote Originally Posted by dgfds01
    Didn't know that. Interesting that they love Serie A and still manage to be Beckham mad.
    That's what happens when the first players in your country to make it in Europe went to Italy, Nakata and Nakamura and such. It's like Sun Jihai and Li Tie with EPL and China.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

China FTW, because they made that Shaolin soccer movie. Stephen Chow > Andy Lau.

Long must be reading some weird English magazine. The English press criticises their national team very harshly and I can't remember the last time they acted as if England were defending champions. Only in Long's mind maybe.

England is actually a lot stronger this time than in the previous 2 WCs. Their only problem is that they don't have a DMF.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

They have stevie G !!

Group A- Germany, Costa Rica, Poland, Ecuador
    Prediction-Germany and Poland through to last 16.....

Group B- England, Paraguay, Trinidad and Tabago, Sweden
    Prediction-England and Sweden......

Group C- Argentina, Cote d'Ivoire, Serbia and Montenegro, Netherlands
    Prediction-Argentina and Netherlands.....

Group D-Mexico, Iran, Angola, Portugal
    Prediction-Mexico and Portugal......

Group E-Italy, Ghana, United States, Czech Republic..(I think this is the hardest group)
    Prediction-Italy and Czech Republic....

Group F-Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan
    Prediction-Brazil and Japan....

Group G-France, Switzerland, Korea Republic, Togo
    Prediction-France and Korea Republic

Group H-Spain, Ukraine, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia
    Prediction-Spain and Ukraine

What do you guys think???????????
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://www.naruto-kun.com/images/narutotest/jiraiya.jpg'), '')

Freaker
    Unregistered

I agree with you too, but i think Korea has a hard group, because i think Switzerland is not so bad...But if Korea plays like World Cup 2002 than they can defeat everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Freaker
    I agree with you too, but i think Korea has a hard group, because i think Switzerland is not so bad...But if Korea plays like World Cup 2002 than they can defeat everyone.
    is that why they lost to turkey. lol

oh turkey didnt make it to next year's world cup, did they?

I would say in the last group, dont count out tunisia.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerfeva
    They have stevie G !!
    He's an AMF not a DMF. England needs someone like Makelele, Viera or Roy Keane.

Argentina is in yet another group of death, and they will be kicked out again after the 1st round.

Italy...I feel sorry for them already. Let's hope they get at least a consolation goal so that their fans here won't burn their own houses down in desperation.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

steven gerrard and frank lampard can play well both defensively and in attack.

England have an extremely solid defence, an aggressive midfield with plenty of steel from frank lampard and steven gerrard, flair from joe cole, and the right foot of beckham. up front, they have owen, and the special wayne rooney.

on paper, they are one of the strongest and most talented teams, the problem lies with the fricking manager.

The thing about England's midfield is that sometimes both of the players attack and go forward at the same time, so when they lose the ball upfront, there is no one to cover,they even sometimes stay back at the same time which means the forwards don't get that much support..........

So by 2006 I think the manager should designate one of them to hold back and be a Makalele, Vieira or Roy Keane and the other one to dictate the play, because against the stronger nations, they can't have both Lampard and Gerrard playing their naturally aggressive style, that will leave the defence brittle.........................teams don't win World Cups without an extremely solid Defensive midfielder in front of the back four.............
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://www.naruto-kun.com/images/narutotest/jiraiya.jpg'), '')

Quote Originally Posted by Big AL Cho
    The thing about England's midfield is that sometimes both of the players attack and go forward at the same time, so when they lose the ball upfront, there is no one to cover,they even sometimes stay back at the same time which means the forwards don't get that much support..........

So by 2006 I think the manager should designate one of them to hold back and be a Makalele, Vieira or Roy Keane and the other one to dictate the play, because against the stronger nations, they can't have both Lampard and Gerrard playing their naturally aggressive style, that will leave the defence brittle.........................teams don't win World Cups without an extremely solid Defensive midfielder in front of the back four.............
    But which one would you hold back? I guess if I had to choose, I'd hold back Gerrard. But wouldn't it be better then to start a "natural" DM instead? Like.. uh.. well... yeah, like Candide said, England really doesn't have a star that is a natural DM. All their midfield stars are attacking minded.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Banned

England is cursed.

They always lose and the year that they win, the team died.

Quote Originally Posted by Panadol
    England is cursed.

They always lose and the year that they win, the team died.
    Which year was that?
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

But which one would you hold back? I guess if I had to choose, I'd hold back Gerrard. But wouldn't it be better then to start a "natural" DM instead? Like.. uh.. well... yeah, like Candide said, England really doesn't have a star that is a natural DM. All their midfield stars are attacking minded.
    Yeah your right, it would be better to just put in a natural DM, but then another question arises, Who do you leave out of central midfield? Lampard or Gerrard????......I think most managers would leave neither out..............

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    Congrats to the Aussies? Yes finally after 32 years of heart break we're in.
    yes, we are in, but for how long.... i don't think we stand a chance against the group that we are in. sorry but i'm cynical

Banned

Which year was that?
    1966 was the year

Quote Originally Posted by Panadol
    1966 was the year
    Yes I know the year they won it. But in what year did "the team die"?

Nobby Stiles, Geoff Hurst, Gordon Banks, Sir Bobby Charlton, and Martin Peters are all still alive and well (and in some cases, still annoying). The only English player that played in the Final against Germany that has died is Bobby Moore, and he died in 1993. What does the team dying have to do with any of that?

The biggest loss to a national team happened in 1949 to Italy. So I have no idea where you are pulling "the team died" thing about England from....
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Banned

Yes I know the year they won it. But in what year did "the team die"?

Nobby Stiles, Geoff Hurst, Gordon Banks, Sir Bobby Charlton, and Martin Peters are all still alive and well (and in some cases, still annoying). The only English player that played in the Final against Germany that has died is Bobby Moore, and he died in 1993. What does the team dying have to do with any of that?

The biggest loss to a national team happened in 1949 to Italy. So I have no idea where you are pulling "the team died" thing about England from....

i'm scratching my head too, supposed to be plane crash, but i check there was not....may be confused with man U team. I wasn't alive back then...my mistake...

English still won't win. I already bet 2000 for them to lose to a friend. We'll see what happens.