Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting Fansub Group

Default Starting Fansub Group

I have been thinking, instead of waiting for others translate great wuxia works, why not do it ourself.

The biggest problem I have is: I don't speak nor read mandarin (neither traditional nor simplified). So need gracious help from others.

Raw supply will be taken care of by me -- doesnt mean I will deny any help on this though.

Is there anyone who can speak (and preferably also read) mandarin willing to work on fansubbing projects?

This is a fansub job, for free, not for sales. Therefore I can't afford to pay.

edit:
    We are currently fansubbing XAJH 2001 (Mainland not Taiwan version). Will also fansub ROCH 2005 when it's out.

Anyone willing to help (especially translate) please join us at http://azalae.com/fansub . Just register yourself and start translating. Thanks.
    Last edited by Azalae; 12-29-05 at 12:07 AM.

Not even one response?

I thought there are many people here who can speak and read mandarin and english. Perfect candidate for translators.

This should be a great opportunity to show that you are a true wuxia fan. Translate the great works so that more people can enjoy them. Let world knows LOCH, XAJH, Jin Yong, Liang Yu Sheng. Much better than debating without end what's the most powerful style or who's the best fighter.

Compared to how it is among anime communities, this is really sad. Anime fans, who barely understand and still learning japanese, gladly fansub many series. Working tirelessly with dedication. There are scores of them out there. How many wuxia fansubber group? One? Two? Can you even name ten?

This is sad.

ah, don't be so pessimistic, it has only been a day.

well, i can't read nor do i understand chinese.

but i may be of use in the techinical area.

also, ROCH 06 would be a huge project.

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

is this legal?

Quote Originally Posted by WangDang

Thanks.

Yeah it is huge but if everyone works together I believe we may be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by shanghai girls are hot
    is this legal?
    I'm not selling anything if that's what you meant.

As soon as there's an official english translation I'll remove everything. The intention (of any fansub) is to give more exposure to the works. By translating them, more people (who can't speak/read chinese) can watch.

If there's an official translation, why should we do it anyway.

I still think you should sub Water Margin
    “Heavy sword with blunt edges, simplicity brings superiority. Before I reached the age of forty, I used it to roam the entire world under Heaven.” (Dugu Seeking-A-Loss)

“After the age of forty, I no longer relied on weaponry. Even bushes, trees, bamboo sticks or rocks call all be my swords. From then on, I achieved great progress and slowly reached the realm of overcoming the sword without a sword.”(Dugu Seeking-A-Loss)

i dun mind helping if i have the time

Quote Originally Posted by KingArthur76
    i dun mind helping if i have the time
    Wohoo, there's one.

Can you pm me your email?

There will be many hard works. As with anything else that's worth doing, this won't be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by WangDang

I'd be wiling to help out, but I'm sorta like WangDang.

My Mandarin is very bad (plus it's not the dialect I speak at home). I can understand a few phrases and words. I know barely enough to survive. I'd be willing to help translate the Chinese characters into English though (although in that area I'm also very bad... but I have many relatives who can help me.)

Also... I have school... so I might not be able to be here a lot... if you still want my help just say so. I'll visit this thread tomorrow, or whenever I see someone replied.
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

I'll help out with the timing/editing.

Plus, I'll help out with the grammatical errors.

depending on the timing of ROCH06's release, I certainly wouldn't mind helping out. I can understand both english and chinese so translating should be fine, just as long as it doesn't clash with my classes.

Thanks guys.

Any help is welcome, including timing and editing. I will PM everyone willing to help as we go.

Now, we need someone who can help distribute the raws. I will try to re-encode the raws I have into smaller files (no more than 100mb each?). Quality will most probably be very low. Should be enough to do translation and timing though.

Anyone willing to donate some bandwidth? Access to these files should be restricted to members only. Therefore reducing the distribution burdern.

When the DVD comes out, I'll purchase it. I want to upload high quality videos. 700MB each episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123
    When the DVD comes out, I'll purchase it. I want to upload high quality videos. 700MB each episodes.
    you are crazy. i like.

okay... A little bit of text at a time I can do. As long as I'm not too busy with school and stuff I'll be fine. Hopefully I will be able to understand with what little Chinese I know....
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

crazylife123, that's marvelous!

I understand that most people are busy and can't spend too much time on this. Am thinking of an approach that hopefully can help.

We'll do this similar to how Wiki works. Will set up a site with all the timing and captured chinese subtitle images. People can come and add or modify subtitles. Either per line, or per episode.

Everyone can edit the subtitle. So if anyone has time to add a translation or notice a mistake want to correct it, s/he's most welcome to do so.

Rather hard to explain so please be patient. I'll code the site which should be ready in a few days.

Oh and people can also come and download the subtitle as softsub file (srt format). It will be automatically generated from all the available translation.

I speak fluent mandarin/Cantonese & I read both traditional & Simplified Chinese. But I don't want 2 do it coz there's 2ooo much work & it doesn't worth it since Chinese TV Series is made for well...the Chinese people who understand Chinese Dialogue

*sigh*...thanks for telling us that you understand chinese but also saying that you're not going to do it ...

Thank you...thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123
    *sigh*...thanks for telling us that you understand chinese but also saying that you're not going to do it ...

Thank you...thank you...
    U Welcome

Almost finished with the website. Now waiting for the return of my XAJH to capture the subtitles and do the timing. I'll use XAJH as a test project for now. Main goal still ROCH 2006.

Here's a screenshot of the site (yeah it's ugly):

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/336/opensub8zb.gif')

The sample "raw" here is Blood+ anime episode 1, fansubbed by bakakozou. The subtitle is of course english. (Don't have any wuxia/chinese raw at the moment.)

As you can see, each project is divided into episodes. Each episode into lines. Each line will have the raw subtitle (traditional chinese or simplified chinese depending on source), captured as an image.

Bellow that image is our subtitles (in different languages). The first two are traditional chinese and simplified chinese -- put here in case anyone want to transcript them as softsub. Then we have english and indonesia fields for translators to do their magic.

Currently have english-speaking and indonesian-speaking (potential :P) translators. Additional languages can be easily and will be added as translators volunteer.

I'm currently testing and it and hunting for bugs. Will put it up as http://azalae.com/opensub/ most probably, or http://azalae.com/fansub/ -- well anything with "sub".