Thread: Ouyang Feng and Huang Yaoshi

Default Ouyang Feng and Huang Yaoshi

Hello All,

I have this question that always make me wonder about these two Greats. Hope you guys can enlighten me.

Where did "Hama Gong"(Frog Stance) originate from? Kunlun Sect? Is OYF from the Kunlun Sect??

Is HYS from any famous sects during that time of LOCH? And where did his "Tan Chi Shen Tong" skill come from?

The rest of the Greats are quite clear:

H7G-Beggar's Sect
    ZBT-Quanzhen Sect
    Nanti-Dali's Duan Family

Cheers,
    XMCX

Quote Originally Posted by Xi Men Chui Xue
    Hello All,

I have this question that always make me wonder about these two Greats. Hope you guys can enlighten me.

Where did "Hama Gong"(Frog Stance) originate from? Kunlun Sect? Is OYF from the Kunlun Sect??
    No, but West Poison Au Yeung Fung's home of White Camel Mountain wasn't very geographically far from the Kunlun Mountains (maybe it's even in the same mountain range). I wouldn't be surprised if the young Au Yeung Fung had some run-ins with Kunlun Sect members (although Jin Yong didn't mention it).

Au Yeung Fung invented Ha Mo Gung independently after failing to win at the First Mt. Hua Sword Tournament.

Is HYS from any famous sects during that time of LOCH? And where did his "Tan Chi Shen Tong" skill come from?
    Like Au Yeung Fung's Ha Mo Gung, East Heretic Wong Yerk See's Mighty Finger Snap and other martial arts were independently developed.

Methinks XMCX has been unduly influenced by Stephen Chow's "Kung Fu Hustle"!

Quote Originally Posted by CFT
    Methinks XMCX has been unduly influenced by Stephen Chow's "Kung Fu Hustle"!
    Ya man! Well said. I was confused by "Kungfu Hustler". In that show, it said Hama Gong from Kunlun Sect.

Hehe... I thought that was strange becoz I remembered OYF isn't from that sect.

Thanks, Ken for clearing the air!

But then again, come to think of it, only 2 of the 5 Greats are from famous Sects like Quanzhen and Beggars Sect, 1 from Duan family. Just wondering how HYS and OYF can become so powerful by self-mastery and creation of so many new techniques. Those guys are really marvellous.

Well, Wong Chung Yueng is pretty good too since he founded QZ sect and invented most, if not all, the martial arts they practice.

But yes, another mystery surrounding how WYS & OYF (you can tell I am a Canto speaker right?) got their skills.

RE: Kung Fu Hustle - did you also think that Siu Long Nui did not age well? And how Yeung Gor shed his devotion to her and became a lecher in his old age?

Ace movie I think my favourite scene is the Twin zither assassins against the 3 masters. Loved the spear work by the 3rd master.
    Last edited by CFT; 11-25-05 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT
    Well, Wong Chung Yueng is pretty good too since he founded QZ sect and invented most, if not all, the martial arts they practice.

But yes, another mystery surrounding how WYS & OYF (you can tell I am a Canto speaker right?) got their skills.

RE: Kung Fu Hustle - did you also think that Siu Long Nui did not age well? And how Yeung Gor shed his devotion to her and became a lecher in his old age?

Ace movie I think my favourite scene is the Twin zither assassins against the 3 masters. Loved the spear work by the 3rd master.
    Yeap... the 3 master vs twin zither assassins scene was pretty cool

Sorry to go off topic, but that was an awesome movie for JY readers esp. Rather surprised considering my opinions of the main actor.

Out of the five greats, the order of respect in terms of martial arts (ability to learn/invent) are WCY, HYS, OYF, H7G and YD

Quote Originally Posted by yittz
    Sorry to go off topic, but that was an awesome movie for JY readers esp. Rather surprised considering my opinions of the main actor.

Out of the five greats, the order of respect in terms of martial arts (ability to learn/invent) are WCY, HYS, OYF, H7G and YD
    That's interesting... Seems like everyone of the 5 Greats invented some skills. From the book, I think H7G and YD did not, right? XL18Z was inherited and so was 1YZ.

Not sure whether WCY's Pre-Heaven Skill was passed on to ZBT. YD did know, right? But he did not pass on.

Could YD be the winner of the 2nd Huashan tournament since he knows both 1YZ and Pre-heaven skill(if he had full power before using that to save HR)? Interesting... what-ifs.

Cheers,
    XMCX

That's interesting... Seems like everyone of the 5 Greats invented some skills. From the book, I think H7G and YD did not, right? XL18Z was inherited.
    In the first edition of LOCH, North Beggar Hung 7 Gung was the inventor of the Hong Lung 18 Palms. Later, after Jin Yong wrote DGSD and made the Hong Lung 18 Palms an established martial art even 100 years before LOCH, he edited LOCH so that Hung 7 Gung was the *reinventor* of the Hong Lung 18 Palms (the original set was lost when Kiu Fung died in DGSD, so Hung 7 Gung had to reinvent the missing parts). In the third and latest edition of LOCH, Hung 7 Gung merely inherited the Hong Lung 18 Palms skill from his predecessor (in the third edition of DGSD, the Hong Lung 18 Palms had originally been the Hong Lung 28 Palms, but Kiu Fung and Hui Juk refined it into the Hong Lung 18 Palms that Hung 7 Gung would later use).

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    In the first edition of LOCH, North Beggar Hung 7 Gung was the inventor of the Hong Lung 18 Palms. Later, after Jin Yong wrote DGSD and made the Hong Lung 18 Palms an established martial art even 100 years before LOCH, he edited LOCH so that Hung 7 Gung was the *reinventor* of the Hong Lung 18 Palms (the original set was lost when Kiu Fung died in DGSD, so Hung 7 Gung had to reinvent the missing parts). In the third and latest edition of LOCH, Hung 7 Gung merely inherited the Hong Lung 18 Palms skill from his predecessor (in the third edition of DGSD, the Hong Lung 18 Palms had originally been the Hong Lung 28 Palms, but Kiu Fung and Hui Juk refined it into the Hong Lung 18 Palms that Hung 7 Gung would later use).
    Did Jin Yong revise part of how DGSD Yik Gun Ging is lost and reappears later in his later work the SPW?

YJJ in DGSD is no longer learned by anyone. The skill learned by YTZ is yoga.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    I'm going to have to go watch Kung Fu Hustle again now! I hadn't yet read any JY stories when I saw it.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    YJJ in DGSD is no longer learned by anyone. The skill learned by YTZ is yoga.
    What? When did they change it again and what yoga?

Should be a third edition change. Look it up in the sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    I'm going to have to go watch Kung Fu Hustle again now! I hadn't yet read any JY stories when I saw it.
    Pay particular attention to the manuals the old beggar shows at the end...
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Stephen Chow has been using JY references in his movies since back in the 90's...

Especially in God of Cookery where they were basically using Condor Hero techniques to duel during the final cookoff.

Not to mention the final bowl of rice that Stephen cooks is called 黯然銷魂飯 "Super sad emo YG rice" (ok it's not exactly translated that way =P).

Rice of Overwhelming Gloom and Sorrow?

Wow. Woooow.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Rice of Overwhelming Gloom and Sorrow?

Wow. Woooow.
    Yep! And because of it's popularity from the film, there is a famous restaurant in HK with chain stores in Taiwan that actually serve that exact dish of sorrowful rice!

And on a side note, has anyone been to "Feng Bo Zhuang" in Singapore? The restaurant is laid out into 4 quadrants (East Heretic, West Poison, Southern Emperor, and Northern Beggar). Within these 4 quadrants are 5 tables named after the 5 sword schools of SOD. And the menu items are all technique names from JY books. For example XL18P is Pork feet or Jade Maiden swordplay is some sort of green vegetable dish. The coolest thing is that the menu is called "武功秘技" (secret martial arts mannuals)!

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    Yep! And because of it's popularity from the film, there is a famous restaurant in HK with chain stores in Taiwan that actually serve that exact dish of sorrowful rice!

And on a side note, has anyone been to "Feng Bo Zhuang" in Singapore? The restaurant is laid out into 4 quadrants (East Heretic, West Poison, Southern Emperor, and Northern Beggar). Within these 4 quadrants are 5 tables named after the 5 sword schools of SOD. And the menu items are all technique names from JY books. For example XL18P is Pork feet or Jade Maiden swordplay is some sort of green vegetable dish. The coolest thing is that the menu is called "武功秘技" (secret martial arts mannuals)!
    This is very interesting, I will certainly visit the place if I go to Singapore. Now, if you had posted this on April 1st, I would have thought you are trying to have an April Fools joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post

Interesting. Any idea where this restaurant is?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."