Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is the difference between a sword and a saber

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie
    Thanks! I only just found these forums and I've spent quite a while reading through already!

It's fantastic to see this much on Wuxia in English, and looks like a ton of stuff to learn, so I'm very psyched!
    And it's good for us to know that we now have an established expert on martial arts matters as part of our forum crew. Welcome.

And it's good for us to know that we now have an established expert on martial arts matters as part of our forum crew. Welcome.
    What? Where? *looks behind, strikes ward-off ninja pose*

This place is awesome, thanks for the fantastic site!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I am offended sir.

Kidding I'm a newbie.
    Last edited by SkineePanda; 01-13-06 at 06:56 PM.
    Underneath the fluffly, cudly exterior lies the tormented and complex creature known as the panda.

Quote Originally Posted by SkineePanda
    I am offended sir.

Kidding I'm a newbie.
    Heh. With all due respect to our other regulars, we're all mainly (to different degrees and in different areas) knowledgeable fans. Rene has the distinction of having co-authored a published book on the subject, so yes...that does put him somewhat ahead of us.

It's just part of the learning process. Even if you come out with total junk (which I'm sure many feel I have), the organization and forced intensity of research is valuable. In my case, Complete Wing Chun helped me figure out how different branches of Wing Chun fit together in broad strokes. Yuen Kay-San Wing Chun Kuen let me see how one branch built its foundation training in more specific detail. Legends of Wingchun forced me not only to learn how to write fiction, but to figure not only how all the different Wing Chun myths could co-exist in one happy family, but how Wing Chun in general fit into the far more extensive fabric of Chinese MA folklore. (It also let me pay homage to, and hopefully not offend too severely, my love of the wuxia tradition--not to mention sneak in all the stuff I couldn't in previous books because everyone just thinks fiction is made up anyway )

Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie
    It's just part of the learning process. Even if you come out with total junk (which I'm sure many feel I have), the organization and forced intensity of research is valuable. In my case, Complete Wing Chun helped me figure out how different branches of Wing Chun fit together in broad strokes. Yuen Kay-San Wing Chun Kuen let me see how one branch built its foundation training in more specific detail. Legends of Wingchun forced me not only to learn how to write fiction, but to figure not only how all the different Wing Chun myths could co-exist in one happy family, but how Wing Chun in general fit into the far more extensive fabric of Chinese MA folklore. (It also let me pay homage to, and hopefully not offend too severely, my love of the wuxia tradition--not to mention sneak in all the stuff I couldn't in previous books because everyone just thinks fiction is made up anyway )
    hey rene, a quick question, are u chinese? because i went to ur website and saw ur pic, and u dont look chinese, but the preview of ur book is SO good, as good as other wuxia novels
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Most days I am lucky to pass for human! I'm not Chinese, but in an age where Tarantino can film Pai Mei, and Jim Lee can draw Superman, I'm inspired to think that creative integrity, combined with lots of study and deep respect for the cultral source, will encourage people to at least give it a try anyway.

Here's some more preview material from the first few chapters