Thread: The Main Heroines of WTLB & EH

Default The Main Heroines of WTLB & EH

Both the heroines in Where the Legend Begins and Eternal Happiness, Yun Fok and Meng Lai Kuan were highly intelligent, compassionate, women who possess brains and beauty, and loved by the men around them.

Who do you prefer in terms of beauty and intelligence?

I think Yun Fok (Ada Choi) was more beautiful than Meng Lai Kuan (Michelle Yip). Ada Choi is also a better actress than Michelle Yip (her acting is still raw in the series).

As for intelligence, I'm not sure who is smarter than who.

what do you think?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

michelle looks ALOT prettier than Ada

that is all.

ada, she's more responsible and use really good judgements
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Michelle somewhat annoyed me but she makes a very hot cross dresser. Ada is still prettier IMO. I'll take Ada.

*Spoiler*
    A bit off topic but has anyone read the novel to Eternal Happiness? I always though Raymond was supposed to have 3 wives, which would include Michelle, Tavia, and Meoylie but thats not the case in the series, since he only ended up with Michelle. Can anyone confirm if this is correct or I remembered wrong. It was such a long time ago that I read this.

I like Yun Fok better.

Meng Lai Gwun was too rash and stubborn all the time. She was also extrememly judgemental which irks me. Its like she thinks she is the top of the world and she actually causes half the trouble they all run into. I mean if she just put down her ego and tell him that she is his fiance, then all would have been solved long ago. And I hate the fact that she rejects him at first because he was fat as a child, and she does not even consider his kindness and sincerity. And she won't accept him, yet gets jelaous when Yuk Yin gets near him. She just wants to hog everything, and runs from responsibility. I never liked her at all and wished Yuk Yin would get the guy, but sadly, modern romances always disappoints me.

Yun Fok has faults of her own, like being too trusting and not calculating enough, but at least she tried to do the best for everyone and took upon her shoulders to do what no one else could do. At she appreciates and cherishes her time with her lover insteads of chucking tantrums every 5 minutes.

In terms of intelligence, both are very smart, but Meng Lai Gwun lacks rationality and priority whereas Yun Fok reacts quickly and flexibly and sees from a deeper POV. So Round 1, YF wins.

In terms of beauty in my eyes, I thought Michelle looked better as a guy than a girl (she had horrible hair and make-up). She looked quite young and fresh, compared to Ada who was more mature. However, I think Ada was more appealing to me with her subtle movements, whether when she was dressed as a boy or a girl (though too much makeup when she was Empress). So by slightly, Round 2, Yuk Fok wins.

In terms of beauty in teh chracter's eyes, Yun Fok is again the winner. Meng Lai Gwun only attracted two guys. The Emperor was attracted to her intelligence and wit mroe than her looks, while Wong Bo Siu Wah liked her because she was his friend and he promised to marry her . It has nothing to do wth looks. In fact, the only one person her looks stunned was Ursula Wong when she was dressed up as a guy. I think Tavia's Ying Suet stunned more people than her.

Yun Fok attracted almost every man she saw with her face, but also her demeanour and grace. When named of of the three beauties in the world at that time, She was a sure winner in this argument. Round 3, Yuk Fok wins.

So Yuk Fok 3: Meng Lai Gwun 0.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

leave it to a woman to judge another women's beauty

okay, about the book, i own a copy so i can definitely tell you that yes, he did marry all three girls in the end, but you would not like him in the book, i hated his character with a passion.

i book i own has short explanations in major events in the story, and from what i gathered out of it, Raymond was a very superficial character, the main reason he liked michelle in the book was because she was beautiful. he had no feelings for tavia, but married her because she was married to michelle (kenneth and his family and story never existed), so he had to marry her since she could no longer marry anyone else. he had feelings for myolie at the start but because he was attracted to michelle's beauty he doesn't want to marry her.

now to the main topic.

Character wise, Michelle's Manh Le Quan in the book was totally different to the film, but lets just talk about the film. MLQ was one word, a child. she was a lazy child who was young and smart, so it went to her head. through the process of the film we see her mature into a more level headed person. MLQ was also a woman not of her time, she longed for equlity and to be recognised for her talents and knowledge as a woman but knows this can not happen. that's why she choose death rather then marry the king in the end. Although MLQ was a beautiful girl, but not a legendary beauty.

As for Ada, her character Han Phuc is actually a historical character, she was one of the three famed beauties of the Three Kingdom period, along with the Kieu sisters. Hence, her beauty surpasses MLQ, obviously.

Character wise, HP is a mature and level headed girl, who knew her place in society and never questioned it. She was a learned person but had no ambition to prove herself in the world. She was a woman of her time.

So if based on beauty, one is a fictional character who had a pretty face while the other is a legendary beauty in the history books, obviously Ada's character is prettier.

But character wise, you can't compare, because both have totally different personalities.

oh for once im glad tvb changed the story of eternal happiness and made wong pu siu wah loveable!
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Haha, I knew he was supposed to marry all 3 . I was hoping he'd marry Tavia and Myolie, but that didn't happen. LOL.

i liked the ending of the film better too, but thought how they solved the problem of myolie to quickly and unjust.

the poor girl didn't deserve to spend the rest of her life being lonely, having already marreid raymond, she was no longer 'pure' enough and her family background would be looked down upon for a new and good marriage.

she didn't deserve it, even if i didn't like her character or myolie.

Suet Sueng,

Who's your avatar?

i never really cared for myolie's character there hated her there
    cherrie

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    Suet Sueng,

Who's your avatar?
    Leung Siu Bing

I totally agree with Charbydis's arguement.

Shanghai girls are hot, I don't see any guy coming in here to give a good arguement on this. So yes," leave it to us girls to judge another girl's beauty"

I never liked Myolie or her character either.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 12-05-05 at 03:18 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

girls tends to be more specific on other girls beauty, we look at more then just the whole picture whereas guys tend to say she looks great or she's hot and leave it at that.

they really couldn't go into details on why they think she's pretty.

girls tends to be more specific on other girls beauty, we look at more then just the whole picture whereas guys tend to say she looks great or she's hot and leave it at that.

they really couldn't go into details on why they think she's pretty.
    HEHE...

On a sidenote, I didn't like the way they rushed the ending to Eternal Happiness neither...

Why don't you gals like Myolie's character? She's too nice or what?

I liked Myolie's chracter. She was kind, not snobbish, forgiving, and was willing to go against her family to do what she thought was right, yet sacrificial enough to ruin her own life to make other people happy. She may be demure, but she was never weak.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

i didn't like her because she was WEAK and kind of useless, she could barely survive the outside world if Raymond didn't show up to save her.

and i always viewed her as the thrid party in the relationship. she knew from the onset that Raymond only had eyes for his fiancee but she still fell for him. Although she didn't actively pursue him which was a good thing.

she doesn't do much to the story line except create misunderstandings and save her family. and also the fact that i don't like they way myolie protrayed her character either, i liked her alot better in the series with Annie Man and Frankie Lam when she played the same type of character.

PS: i've never liked her in the book either so i am kind of bias.