Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Series: WO AI HO DONG SHI (Vincent Jiao, Chen Hao)

Kikyo
    Unregistered

Default New Series: WO AI HO DONG SHI (Vincent Jiao, Chen Hao)

Brief info about the series

http://video.tigercool.com/ProductIn...roductID=22423

The above link is the series poster and information on the series in Chinese

Year: 2005
    Chinese name: Wo Ai Ho Dong Shi/Loving the Tigress from River East
    Male Lead: Vincent Jiao as Liu Shi Jie
    Female Lead: Chen Hao as Du Yue Hong
    Producers: Collaboration between China and Taiwan and probably a little bit from HK too. Should make it's way to Taiwan TV.
    Previous versions: HK version with Esther Kwan, HK movie with Louis Koo and Cheung Bo Zhi.
    Traditional storyline: Basically a comedy about a Shrew who rules her fearful husband with an iron fist

Has anyone seen this series? I've just finished watching it and it's a rare gem.

Chen Hao plays Du Yue Hong in this series. She is the 2nd daughter of the royal teacher/Tai Shi. Her hopes are to marry a husband with status (academic or military Zhuang Yuan Lang). Her attempts at accomplishing this dream leads her to all sorts of adventures, where she incidentally bumps into something called love on the way.

Chen Hao absolutely sparkles in this series. Visually, she's exquisitely beautiful...this coming from a perfectionist who can find fault as easily as Mr Darcy. Chen Hao is also a very convincing comedian...which is amazing because to be genuinely funny IMO is one the most difficult acting skills. Playing the role of a shrew would also be a challenge - staying true to the negativity of the character yet maintaining a lovable air so that one doesn't get despised by the audience. Chen Hao accomplished all this...she was an absolute darl.

Vincent Jiao plays Liu Shi Jie who is a humble seller of fish. He is also the most academically accomplished in the local province and somewhat of a ladies' man. After marrying Du Yue Hong, Liu Shi Jie discovers married life for him makes hurricances look like gentle breezes. While obediently going along with his beloved wife's demands, Liu Shi Jie discovers secrets about his past that may spell ruin for his blissfully turbulent life.

Vincent Jiao also gave me a surprise. I never knew that he too was such a good comedian. Some of the fearful expressions and gestures he made had me rolling around in laughter. He had such chemistry with Chen Hao. The poetry he recited was very sweet, especially the one where he had to create one in order to win Du Yue Hong's hand in marriage.
    Last edited by Kikyo; 12-04-05 at 10:30 PM.

Default hehe...u havent seen vincent in tou long zhuan feng?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kikyo

Vincent Jiao also gave me a surprise. I never knew that he too was such a good comedian. Some of the fearful expressions and gestures he made had me rolling around in laughter. He had such chemistry with Chen Hao. The poetry he recited was very sweet, especially the one where he had to create one in order to win Du Yue Hong's hand in marriage.

hehe, havent u seen vincent in TLZF?? he was pretty funny especially when his screen time with zhang ting. they were faboulous in that series. so funny together!!

I'v seen this series, its not too bad, although i gotta say chen hao can be very selfish and annoying to watch but i feel sad for her near the end. but a pretty funny one to watch.

Kikyo
    Unregistered

"selfish and annoying" yes, but that is in line with her character. If Chen Hao/Du Yue Hong didn't act this way, there would be no point in calling the series "Ho Dong Shi". If there was such a fundamental change to Ho Dong Shi's character, you would then have people complain that the story wasn't in accordance to the 'true storyline'.

In the long run, if Chen Hao hadn't of pressured her husband to attend the examinations at the capital, the secrets of his past wouldn't have come to light anyway.

The somewhat sad bit near the end was well done. Chen Hao got her just desserts.

A trully "selfish and annoying" character was Vincent Jiao's uncle.

I already bought this series...It's funny & I like it...

I loved this series as well. I normally don't go for comedies but this one surprised me. Vincent and Chen Hao made a great couple. They had great chemistry together.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.ctv.com.tw/event/2005/lion/photo/004.jpg') $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.ctv.com.tw/event/2005/lion/photo/005.jpg') $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.ctv.com.tw/event/2005/lion/photo/010.jpg') $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.ctv.com.tw/event/2005/lion/photo/009.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.ctv.com.tw/event/2005/lion/photo/107.jpg') $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.ctv.com.tw/event/2005/lion/photo/123.jpg') $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.ctv.com.tw/event/2005/lion/photo/122.jpg')
    Last edited by Damsel; 12-05-05 at 04:51 PM.
    "And what is as important as knowledge?" asked the mind. "Caring and seeing with the heart." answered the soul.

Stuck in a place between Heaven and Hell!

I like this series.....it is one of Vincent's better series that I've seen for a while !
    Cheers!!!!!!

Kikyo
    Unregistered

Hey those are nice fics Damsel.

I liked what Chen Hao wore in the series. I love that gauzy material they use in period dramas. It made Chen Hao look particularly graceful...she also looked best in pastel colours. Hey, did anyone notice that Chen Hao was given a few opportunities to dance and she did very well...quite professional actually. Footwork and hand co-ordination was mighty fine.

This series being my latest obssession, after watching it again, it seems that Chen Hao didn't really love her husband until very later on in the series. Maybe Vincent may have understood what love meant, but I don't think Chen Hao really did at the beginning. Chen Hao treated her husband like an extremely good buddy (one you could die for even), which is not surprising because she never had a real friend before Vincent came along. She was confusing very good friendship with love. This explains why she was willing to treat Vincent with such ruthless and selfish measures and yet risk her life for him in the moment of danger.

OMG! Vincent in another comedy! Can't wait to see it. Any idea when it will be released in the US? Can hardly believe that he's in his mid thirties and still look so youthful. Thanks for the pics!

The storyline sounds like an ancient version of "Just Love". It seems like most of you here enjoyed it, so maybe I'll give it a try.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Kikyo
    This series being my latest obssession, after watching it again, it seems that Chen Hao didn't really love her husband until very later on in the series. Maybe Vincent may have understood what love meant, but I don't think Chen Hao really did at the beginning. Chen Hao treated her husband like an extremely good buddy (one you could die for even), which is not surprising because she never had a real friend before Vincent came along. She was confusing very good friendship with love. This explains why she was willing to treat Vincent with such ruthless and selfish measures and yet risk her life for him in the moment of danger.
    Shi Jie definitely loved Yue Hong more in the beginning. He gave up his vows (to never marry and never go to the capital city) for her. He forgave her after he realized she lied to him about their wedding night, and went along with all her demands because he loved her so much. Yue Hong’s love was more selfish. She had an image of her ideal mate and wanted to make Shi Jie into that image, by whatever means necessary. Of course this is where most of the humour come from.
    "And what is as important as knowledge?" asked the mind. "Caring and seeing with the heart." answered the soul.

Does any body know where i can purchase this drama with english subtitle. The website that was provided is only in chinese characters so I don't know where to buy it.

Kikyo
    Unregistered

Can hardly believe that he's in his mid thirties and still look so youthful
    ...that's make-up. They really layered on the foundation with Vincent.

Shi Jie definitely loved Yue Hong more in the beginning. He gave up his vows (to never marry and never go to the capital city) for her. He forgave her after he realized she lied to him about their wedding night, and went along with all her demands because he loved her so much.
    I found Shi Jie's actions quite contradicting. Without a doubt he made many sacrifices for Yue Hong i.e. he loved her, but, he did some pretty hurtful and fairly stupid things too. Yes he gave up his vows, yet he had doubts at the last minute...during the wedding ceremony no less! If he had issues, he should've discussed them beforehand, not at such a crucial moment. If he had intentionally chosen such a moment to bring up his doubts, then he was using the situation as blackmail (people want to avoid embarrassment so they agree to anything) to save his vows. Given, the way the Du family literally forced him to go through with the wedding ceremony was draconion, it's not as if Shi Jie didn't provoke it.

Then there was that 'divorce' document. In ancient China, it didn't mean a legal separation of partners, it was basically a demeaning rejection of a woman who didn't meet the ideal of a perfect wife and therefore could be 'put aside' by her husband. There was no equivalent for the husband, such a 'yao shu' always painted the wife in the wrong. Now, if Shi Jie felt he was being unfairly treated by his wife, he should've said something about it...air your issues man! Yes, Yue Hong never listened to him, but if he had a been a bit more serious and assertive in his stance the message would've got through. (It did later on in the story when he convinced his reluctant wife to house a royal criminal). Further, Shi Jie should've clarified that he felt so serious that he was willing to divorce her if Yue Hong continued her antics. Always seems wise to me to 'mention' a separation with your partner before you spring a degoratory type of divorce on them.

What did Shi Jie do? He 'allowed' his uncle to write the divorce paper, 'assisted' his finger onto the page for a fingerprint. The icing on the cake is that he also agreed to having a copy sent to the local magistrate for legal confirmation. For someone as smart as Shi Jie, he sure seemed pretty silly at that time. Given he was pretty dazed with Yue Hong's apparent 'betrayal', Shi Jie should've maintained an awareness for the consquences of his actions. Sending a divorce for legal confirmation seems pretty final to me...but it the show sort of skipped over that point.

Vincent’s makeup was pretty thick in this series but there is a reason. Chen Hao accidentally hit him in the forehead with an object that flew out of her hand. She was pretending to throw it at Vincent. He had to be taken to the hospital to take care of the bleeding wound. To cover up the wound they had to go heavy on the makeup.

OMG! poor vincent! oh, the pain he must have suffered. just glad he is alright. i don't really mind the heavy makeup. plenty of other actors use them too.

i just got this serie, haven't finished it yet but so very entertaining, one of Vincent best series i've seen so far both leads are superb in portraying their characters, love it!! oh by the way does Vincent character like the gurl with the browny hair?

Does anyone know the girl who played Chen Hao,Du Yue Hong oldest sister name?

How come theres no talk about the actor Allen Ting? I think thats his name. He played the 2nd Prince and Vincent's half brother in this series.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I like this series also, mainly b/c most of the characters are so likable (and good to look at). lol

Anywho, I too think Vincent and Chen Hao has great chemistry and facial expressions.

As for Allen Ting, I didn't like his character too much (mostly b/c he's not very smart. what kind of prince would be at the site of an assassination attempt?) But I think he's really cute. When I said this to my mom, she asked me why as if she doesn't see it. I answered "I like his cheekbones."

Anywayz, the only thing I didn't like about this show is the friend who looks like he has a baby face and the girl he was in love w/ who in turn was in love w/ Vincent. Also, the bandits and the uncle. i guess i dislike a lot of characters, but i do like most of the main characters.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticDust
    I like this series also, mainly b/c most of the characters are so likable (and good to look at). lol

Anywho, I too think Vincent and Chen Hao has great chemistry and facial expressions.

As for Allen Ting, I didn't like his character too much (mostly b/c he's not very smart. what kind of prince would be at the site of an assassination attempt?) But I think he's really cute. When I said this to my mom, she asked me why as if she doesn't see it. I answered "I like his cheekbones."

Anywayz, the only thing I didn't like about this show is the friend who looks like he has a baby face and the girl he was in love w/ who in turn was in love w/ Vincent. Also, the bandits and the uncle. i guess i dislike a lot of characters, but i do like most of the main characters.
    Yeah, I hate Bai Shui Xin! When Vincent lost his memory due to this tonic, she just shamelessly stole a married man like Vincent from Chen Hao! It's completely shameless! Shameless, I just wanted to slap her at least twenty times a day.

The 2nd prince was just a poorly developed character. I'd like to see him in another tv series where he has a more meatier character because he looks so good in ancient costume with his hair put up like in the series.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

totally agree. allen ting should be in more ancient series (when watching meteor butterfly sword, i was so tempted to get screen captions everytime he smiles). Of course, I do think his acting needs to be more developed, but maybe it's b/c he hasn't had a lot of experience. He's good when he's staring off to space and pine over girls, but when he acts dramatic scenes, he tends to over-exaggerate a bit.

As for the girl, I was celebrating when she died. I started clapping and laughing at that scene and my sister walked into the room, thinking i was crazy. if anyone in the series deserved to die, it was her. Evil shameless girl
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?