Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: RoCH Chap 33 Onwards

Crap. I failed. I can't resist the temptation. I give up.

I am still anxiously awaiting for the rest of the 34th chapter!!!

Suggestion:

Maybe someone should gather all the translations and put it up online in a wiki. The book is huge, and its only natural that sometimes the translators make typos or forget a word here or there. We all notice it, but we ignore it as they are small problems that don't affect the reading experience in any way, but it'd be nice to have the whole book online somewhere once it is finished, and having it in a wiki would enable anyone reading to quickly fix small typos they noticed as they were reading. It would also make for a great place to create an extensive glossary, like the one HuangYushi is making for Xia Ke Xing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodflowers

Haha... I like your siggy. Chapter 34 should be finished soon. I didn't translate it, but I'll hurry and make the corrections. So... Just hang on a bit longer!
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    One reason why I don't post translations in daily snippets is because I think that's more for comic strips...
    So I post them in chapters like a TV serial...

Enjoy!
    Wow IcyFoxy, you are wickedly fast... thanks for all your effort

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs

Ohhhh!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much sir Icyfoxy!!!!

YG is so strong now. BTW, Huang Rong is very smart but till now she still doesn't understand YG, even if YG is chaotic Im sure he would never hurt Guo Xiang no matter what.
    Maybe it's just me but I kinda hate Huang Rong through most of the second part of the novel.... talk about paranoid women

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodflowers

Suggestion:

Maybe someone should gather all the translations and put it up online in a wiki. The book is huge, and its only natural that sometimes the translators make typos or forget a word here or there. We all notice it, but we ignore it as they are small problems that don't affect the reading experience in any way, but it'd be nice to have the whole book online somewhere once it is finished, and having it in a wiki would enable anyone reading to quickly fix small typos they noticed as they were reading. It would also make for a great place to create an extensive glossary, like the one HuangYushi is making for Xia Ke Xing.
    It has been several months since I lasted posted something for the ROCH translations, however that does not imply I have been ignorant of the updates and what has been going on. I prefer to remain quiet staying in the shadows and say something only when necessary.

I believe it would be a great idea to compile all the translations onto a place where they can be combined together into a single continous flow of the story, without having to roam through the various comments and posts as we can see in these forums. However I find it necessary to suggest a few things.

First, I recommand that we all use a consistant vocabulary and usage of terms/names. I recommand that we follow Noodles usage.

Second, please refrain from using modern vocabulary and terms which would not necessarily be found during the time period where the story takes place. An example is given below to explain what I refer to...

“Master Yelu is proficient in both martial arts and literature, he’s heroic and compassionate, he is a great buddy of mine.

I believe the proper term for use here is the word 'friend' and not the modern term 'buddy'.

Usage of such modern terms lessens the eloquence of the story and takes away much of the novel's elegance. Slang is NOT eloquent nor elegant.

Please keep in mind that we are translating a classic novel, not some new age hippy piece of .....

Third, provide an english translation, in brackets or quotations, of some of the terms which are left written in chinese for the translation. For example... Jin Lun Fa Wang (Golden Wheel Monk).

Thank you.
    Last edited by Adryn Novan; 01-03-06 at 04:27 PM.

There is already a site for that called wuxiapedia.com.
    Adryn, are you translating any novel?

Cheers,

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

www.wuxiapedia.com is a great site however it only has translations to chapter 31

it would be great if wuxiapedia updated its database to include these great translations being posted....

thanx all you translators!
    Last edited by Demonic Swordsman; 01-03-06 at 10:54 PM.

This stuff really is an addictive drug. Can't get enough of it (even though I've never used drugs in that sense). but I'm sure this addiction is beneficial not harmful. Keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Adryn Novan
    I believe it would be a great idea to compile all the translations onto a place where they can be combined together into a single continous flow of the story, without having to roam through the various comments and posts as we can see in these forums. However I find it necessary to suggest a few things.
    When we have completed Book 4 (Chap 31-40) I will submit the translations to Wuxiapedia.com and maybe make a Wiki site for it like what others have suggested.

First, I recommand that we all use a consistant vocabulary and usage of terms/names. I recommand that we follow Noodles usage.
    There're so many translators for this book. No one translator has control over that.
    For me sometimes I don't follow Noodles' terms/names because I think they are not entirely accurate.
    If you think my terms/names are worse please highlight to me.

Second, please refrain from using modern vocabulary and terms which would not necessarily be found during the time period where the story takes place.
    Usage of such modern terms lessens the eloquence of the story and takes away much of the novel's elegance. Slang is NOT eloquent nor elegant.
    This also varries according to the translator's style. Some translators like myself like to add a touch of modern slang to the translations and some readers like to read translations like that.
    It's a bit refreshing. Well, I can't please everyone.
    If you think I'm crazy to do that you could always download the translations and edit them so that they suit you.
    Or you could always translate it yourself - then will definitely fit your style.

Third, provide an english translation, in brackets or quotations, of some of the terms which are left written in chinese for the translation. For example... Jin Lun Fa Wang (Golden Wheel Monk).
    I always try to do that. But I'll do it usually only the first time the name appears in the chapter. If you missed it try re-reading the chapter. Or you can also ask me to direct you to it.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-04-06 at 09:36 AM.

Last edited by IcyFox; 01-04-06 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s4life
    There is already a site for that called wuxiapedia.com.
    Adryn, are you translating any novel?

Cheers,

Yes I do translate (professionally), but not on this forum nor in the chinese language since I do know it.

This also varries according to the translator's style. Some translators like myself like to add a touch of modern slang to the translations and some readers like to read translations like that.
    It's a bit refreshing. Well, I can't please everyone.
    If you think I'm crazy to do that you could always download the translations and edit it so that it suits you.
    Or you could always translate it yourself - then will definitely fit your style. ,
    There is such a thing as an ethics for translators, and it goes roughly something like this "...under no circumstances what so ever, translators never ever allow their personal emotions/tastes/judgement from interfering and influencing with the accuracy, completness.... of their translations."

Yes I understand that sometimes things cannot be translated literally, but those cases are only when the text to be translated has a metaphorical meaning which is different from the literal meaning. Most of them would be in the case of proverbs of different cultures. However in the case I am speaking off, the uses of the terms I refer causes changes in the personality, the description given, the emotions conveyed, etc of either the story or the characters in the story.

For the example I gave, at the time of the sentence spoken by the protaganist (Yang Guo) of the story, his tone of voice and the manner in which he spoke those words were meant to be in the form of refusing an offer, being calm and distant. However the use of 'buddy' changed that emotional context into one of cheerful, friendly and possible overtones of excitement. Please remember that Yang Guo is is not a person who is overtly friendly nor is he a person who would show cheerfulness easily. He is a loner, someone who prefers not to socialize much with others unnecessarily.

As for the consistancy in the terms, I only meant the spellings of the names and places. I once saw XLN's name being spelled in 2 different ways, 1 was Xiao Long Nu and the other was Si Long Nuu or something.
    I prefer the one spelled with Xiao because:

1. the letter X is one of the rarest letters used in the alphabet and I feel it conveys a sense of grace and elegence worthy of tribute to the character XLN.

2. the pronounciation of the name using this spelling also seems graceful and eloquent. Very classy if I must say so. Imagine the same feeling you get when saying "Final Fantasy" in sort of a stretched whisper. I bet the developers at Square Soft are very proud of themselves for choosing those two words for the title. Or the latin "Gloria Borealis" (name of a large legendary starship which had a hull covered in gold from an old out of print sci-fi novel) which in english means "Heaven's Glory" or "The Glory of Heaven".

Same with Yang Guo and Yeung Gor, I prefer Yang Guo.
    Last edited by Adryn Novan; 01-04-06 at 12:01 AM.

There is such a thing as an ethics for translators, and it goes roughly something like this "...under no circumstances what so ever, translators never ever allow their personal emotions/tastes/judgement from interfering and influencing with the accuracy, completness.... of their translations."
    I'm not a professional translator. I just do this for fun.

For the example I gave, at the time of the sentence spoken by the protaganist (Yang Guo) of the story, his tone of voice and the manner in which he spoke those words were meant to be in the form of refusing an offer, being calm and distant. However the use of 'buddy' changed that emotional context into one of cheerful, friendly and possible overtones of excitement. Please remember that Yang Guo is is not a person who is overtly friendly nor is he a person who would show cheerfulness easily. He is a loner, someone who prefers not to socialize much with others unnecessarily.
    You have the right to be entitled to your own opinion.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-04-06 at 09:32 AM.

I'm not a professional translator. I just do this for fun.
    And that post was posted by me, not s4life.

"If you must do something, do it to the best you can, take it to the extreme, never settle for something midway."
    old proverb

It just means if you must be good, then be the good-est, and if you must be bad, be the baddest. Don't settle for something in the middle, it aint worth it. Be first rate, nothing less.

"I can be the BEST friend in the entire Universe or the WORST enemy in the entire Universe. But I will NEVER be something in between. So Victory or Death!"
    (forgot which novel it came from, was one of my personal translation works)
    Last edited by Adryn Novan; 01-03-06 at 11:11 PM.

"If you must do something, do it to the best you can, take it to the extreme, never settle for something midway."
    old proverb

It just means if you must be good, then be the good-est, and if you must be bad, be the baddest. Don't settle for something in the middle, it aint worth it.
    Quite true. So why don't you take over the translations from now?
    I'm sure you'd do a better job being a professional translator.

adrynova, I don't think you should be so picky about the translations- those are good suggestions, but i agree with icyfox that most translators might not have the time to edit their translations. i know if i translated i wouldn't want people picking over my word choice and style. that's what makes each style unique right?

i'm just thankful that translators are translating at all- if you end up being picky they might not want to translate anymore because they don't want to deal with the extra hassle of trying to conform to everyone else or making sure they're not making typos, etc. so just want to say thanks to all the translators out there for the time they're putting into this and not to worry about the quality of your work being bad.

Quote Originally Posted by efflix
    adrynova, I don't think you should be so picky about the translations- those are good suggestions, but i agree with icyfox that most translators might not have the time to edit their translations. i know if i translated i wouldn't want people picking over my word choice and style. that's what makes each style unique right?

i'm just thankful that translators are translating at all- if you end up being picky they might not want to translate anymore because they don't want to deal with the extra hassle of trying to conform to everyone else or making sure they're not making typos, etc. so just want to say thanks to all the translators out there for the time they're putting into this and not to worry about the quality of your work being bad.

They dont have to edit it themselves, and I was not being a critic. But the translaters may need to be a little more careful and later when all the chapters have been done, people (including you and me and the rest who ever wants to) can go over them and smooth out the rough creases. I'm a gourmet of good novels and stories, I want to be able to read every line, every word, every letter, and every detail. I do not enjoy the feeling of suffering from losses in translations.

If every edition of the novel was available in a language I know, I'd very thoroughly read each and every one of the editions in order and compare each of them. And anyway, I am searching for the french version too, wish I knew how the french translated the title because its not listed on the Internet as far as I have been searching. If they also have german, russian, portuguese, spanish, latin versions and if you know about them, let me know, I'll immediately try to get the novel and start translating and re-editing/filling in the already translated chapters with some of the losses in translations.

PS: my name is spelled Adryn Novan, that is my real name, not some fancy alias I gave myself for the forums. I hardly ever register with an alias other then my real name or the short form for my computer user lvl: Administrator Novan (ADM_AN). If you cannot call someone by their proper name or the name given it usually shows a sign of disrespect.
    Last edited by Adryn Novan; 01-03-06 at 11:36 PM.

First of all, Mr./Ms./Mrs. Adryn Novan has a point, he said those things because he/she expects a high standard of translation for this great novel ROCH.

Secondly, Icyfoxy is not a professional translator, he is doing this for fun, he is not paid to do this, none of us have a right to direct his way of translating. The ONLY thing we can do is to make suggestions.

Lastly, I respect your wishes Sir/Maam Novan, but I believe you owe mr.IcyFoxy an apology, your approach is disrespectful and arrogant, you couldve said what you wanted in a more respectful manner. Remember, respect is earned. Have a nice day.

They dont have to edit it themselves, and I was not being a critic. But the translaters may need to be a little more careful and later when all the chapters have been done, people (including you and me and the rest who ever wants to) can go over them and smooth out the rough creases. I'm a gourmet of good novels and stories, I want to be able to read every line, every word, every letter, and every detail. I do not enjoy the feeling of suffering from losses in translations.

If every edition of the novel was available in a language I know, I'd very thoroughly read each and every one of the editions in order and compare each of them. And anyway, I am searching for the french version too, wish I knew how the french translated the title because its not listed on the Internet as far as I have been searching. If they also have german, russian, portuguese, spanish, latin versions and if you know about them, let me know, I'll immediately try to get the novel and start translating and re-editing/filling in the already translated chapters with some of the losses in translations.

PS: my name is spelled Adryn Novan, that is my real name, not some fancy alias I gave myself for the forums. I hardly ever register with an alias other then my real name or the short form for my computer user lvl: Administrator Novan (ADM_AN). If you cannot call someone by their proper name or the name given it usually shows a sign of disrespect.
    Whatever.

-------------
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-04-06 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    Lastly, I respect your wishes Sir/Maam Novan, but I believe you owe mr.IcyFoxy an apology, your approach is disrespectful and arrogant, you couldve said what you wanted in a more respectful manner. Remember, respect is earned. Have a nice day.
    No, I don't think he owes me an apology. He has the right to decide whether he wants to appologize or not. He probably didn't mean any offence but he also didn't know how to say it properly.

Anyway after translating, I usually go back and edit the translated chapters.
    I'm kind of used to doing 'debugging'.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-04-06 at 09:47 AM.

Quote:

For the example I gave, at the time of the sentence spoken by the protaganist (Yang Guo) of the story, his tone of voice and the manner in which he spoke those words were meant to be in the form of refusing an offer, being calm and distant. However the use of 'buddy' changed that emotional context into one of cheerful, friendly and possible overtones of excitement.

Adryn Novan stop being anal

Quote:

It just means if you must be good, then be the good-est, and if you must be bad, be the baddest. Don't settle for something in the middle, it aint worth it. Be first rate, nothing less

I guess not everyone can be the "good-est" pro translator like you...remember Icy Fox is taking time out of his/her own day to translate ROCH for fun. Personally I appreciate his efforts and support him/her 100%
    "Things we achieve too easily we esteem too lightly" -Thomas Paine