Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: RoCH Chap 33 Onwards

Sure, he will put in his own days of hard work translations here, but u all must also put in years of hard work designing new tech, sciences, gathering knowladge, exploring new frontiers like he has. So unless u can achieve what he has achieved....lets just say he has earned the right, u havent. ur still teens, he's an experienced adult
    The more you post the more off topic you get...what does "being sciency" have to do with ROCH translations?
    Yea I guess because he's an "adult" he has earned the right to condescendingly insult translators like Icy Fox.
    "Things we achieve too easily we esteem too lightly" -Thomas Paine

A multiple identity troll? Seen that stuff before.

With one account, the person would suck up to everyone, the other would openly insult and curse. I noticed they shared certain common knowledge to realise this.

Now, one identity backs up the other?

Oh yeah you won and got the last word. Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by Atsuko Minowara
    I dont wanna argue with ignorant people anymore. So this will be the last thing I say on his behalf.

Sure, he will put in his own days of hard work translations here, but u all must also put in years of hard work designing new tech, sciences, gathering knowladge, exploring new frontiers like he has. So unless u can achieve what he has achieved....lets just say he has earned the right, u havent. ur still teens, he's an experienced adult.

THE END

IOW, you don't have a leg to stand on and you can't defend what he said or what you said. So you're bugging out before you make an even greater fool out of yourself. Smart thing to do, but rather pathetic.

LMAO, Adryn Novan may be a lot of things, but he sure definitely isnt a troll. I've met the guy in real life once.
    and for another thing, i know he isnt mad or angry at any of u or the translations. Hes just annoyed because people arent taking pride or dignity in their work and settling for what he considers second rate. The guy is a total geneus ok (hes like bill gates, kasparov, einstein, and al tose other genius rolled into one), but he is sorta old fashioned for a 20 somthin year old man. I mean hey, the guy talks like someone from those movies u may see of english gentlemen.

(PS, anyone know how to recover ur account if u cant remember the password or e-mail u used? I cant remember mine so had to make a new one I dont wanna lose my post count )

For someone that met Adryn ONCE, you sure know a heck of a lot about him.
    As Mojo Mojo said.
    EDITED: I just read the last posts... omg. Atsuko, you are Adryn and yes, you are a multiple identity troll.. I will personally request to ban your IP, I really think that you have disturbed this forum long enough.
    Last edited by s4life; 01-04-06 at 04:22 PM.

Hey, I'm translating LOCH! Well, for now ... Adryn can work on it when I stop ...

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

just ignore this Adryn guy/girl....he/she is being anal as Xiao Long Nu said...

Xiao Long Nu i like you choice of a name...so don't feel insulted

keep up the good work translators!

p.s. IcyFox...your translations are as good as they get, dont let this guy get to you

Default On the translation

People .. people .. people ...

I do hope that ALL of us can refrain from any postings that are not ... what do you say it? not good? encouraging? whatever (You see .. I am never good at writing, ergo, I doubt the quality of my own translation ... )

First of all, I am writing this as a personal opinion. I am in no way have any personal relation with any of you. Therefore, I am not in anybody's side.

Second, as far as I know, this is an open forum. There was never any restriction on who can or cannot join the forum. We have so many people from different background, not only geographically, but demographically as well. Therefore, there is a very high probability that not everybody will agree on everything. If we juct keep that in mind, then I would say that we don't have to take offense from anybody. Let's just agree to disagree, shall we?

That being said, I want to present to you some thoughts:

1. Some of us like to read the whole chapter at once, some like to read it in shorter parts. I do not agree with IcyFox's opinion on the comic stuff, I am still going to post my work in parts. But that does not mean that I am offended of what he said. Again, he is entitled to his opinion. And I am sure IcyFox won't be mad at me because I post in parts not the whole chapter at once. Am I right?

2. JamesG has voiced his frustration on the inconsistencies he found. But then again, there are so many people working on this novel. To make matter more complicated, there are various sources being used.

IcyFox and the rest of us are correct, that we are not professional, that our work is just for fun. Heck, we even do not have official permission from Jin Yong to translate his novel, do we?

However, I can also relate to Mr. Adryn Novan. I may not be as sophisticated as he is, but I also am a book lover. I like to read good novels, and as much as possible, I like to read the original language in which it was written, because I realized no matter how good a translation is, unless it was the original writer who re-wrote it in different language, there will be 'lost in translations'. It's inevitable.

Also, as I mentioned above, we have different background. Someone made a comment on my work once, that my Huang Rong sounded so American .. Oh well ... as long as you people know what we are talking about, I believe it won't matter to much for us right now.

I wish that someday, a good editor will come along (I hope it will be you, JamesG!) and edit what we, the translators have done. And make the novel a really good read for all of us.

My thought is: I am calling all you Chinese Literate people out there who can spare your precious time to give us some insights. Not necessarily for the translator, but for the editor.

Some example that come into my mind:

Is there any Pin Yin standard out there? Is there any source for non-Chinese speaking people to check the spelling?

On names, surname and given name:
    There is no problem if the names are single characters, like Guo Jing or Yang Guo.
    But what about 'compound' names?
    Example: Ouyang or Ou Yang? Yelu or Ye Lu? Wanyan or Wan Yan?
    My preference? Ouyang, Yelu and Wanyan. Because they are compound surname. (My original chinese surname is also a compound one)

What about the given name? Wu Dunru, or Wu Dun Ru? Which one is the standard?

Now, Xiao Lung Nuu is an exception. First, Xiao is NOT her surname. Long is. Second, nobody knew her given name, not even herself. Therefore, Xiao Long Nuu is her 'title' much like 'Lao Wan Dong' Zhou Bo Tong.

On titles:
    Nan Hay Shen Nuu - Divine Nun of the South Sea, Goddess of the South Sea, Celestial Nun of the South Sea ... anything else?

My understanding: the word Shen means 'divine' or 'deity'? There was no indication of her being a Nun at all. It was Huang Rong who explained that she was a nun. So, what would be the best and correct translation?

Zhong Shen Dong Wang Chong Yang - Central Divinity. The word Dong here means kid or youngster. His title was in the same line as Lao Wan Dong. However, I have never seen the word Dong translated.

Also, the word Wang in his name. Isn't it the same Chinese character as in Fan Yi Weng of the Passionless Valley and later on Xishan Ghosts? Why would one translated as Wang and the other Weng?

On other things:
    Jue-jing-gu - passionless valley, loverless valley? The same Jue Jing is used for the pill. What is the exact meaning?

Duan Jong - as in Broken Heart Cliff, Severed Intestine Gorge, and Grass. The characters are exactly the same. What is the exact meaning?

Dan Zi Shen Dong - Divine Flicking Finger. I think 'Dan' here means bullet.

(Please note that I am NOT Chinese literate - I wish I were, so the above spelling might be incorrect)

I am also calling all you literature lovers, to help us do some research to make our work more refined. What I mean is the background information on the novel.

As we know, it was set in the later years of Song Dynasty, and the beginning of Yuan Dynasty (HSDS goes even further to the beginning of Ming Dynasty). There are some reference to the actual historical figures or places.

For example:
    Khubilai Khan - written as Hu Bi Lei
    Chomo Lungma - written as Zhu Mu Lang Ma

IcyFox has made a very good (and educated, I might add) guess on Ni Mo Xing - Nimor Singh

My source has Da Er Ba as Dhalpa. Meng-ge as Mangu.

Other examples would be Gengiz Khan's four sons: Juji, Jagatai, Ogotai and Tuli.

I wish you people can help doing the research on these non-Chinese names.

I am sure there are hundreds other examples that you people can find.

Please let me re-emphasis this:

I am NOT being picky. I WILL continue my work translating ROCH with whatever source or reference I already have. I might change the spelling or the translation of some words that I think will be more appropriate. But I am not a professional translator, therefore, I reserve the right to be wrong.

I welcome any opinion, suggestion, advice; and I do hope nobody would take any opinion personally. I am sure Mr. Adryn Novan did not have any ill intention toward anybody. He is entitled to voice his opinion.

You know what? Maybe after the whole ROCH is completed, we should create a new thread: ROCH revised and revisited.

I would hope that whoever has edited the existing work would share it to the rest of us. For instance, I know JamesG is doing his editing. Then somebody else would re-edit his work and re-post it. And the process goes on and on ... until in the end, we get the final version of ROCH in english. A good, high quality literature product. (Much like wikipedia, don't you think?)

Anyway, this is a long post. Thank you for reading this.

PS: I will post the first part of Chapter 38 - God's willing - tomorrow.
    PPS: Foxs in not my real name, but it is a twist on my real initials - so it's not some fancy or cool alias .. , and I have been using this pen-name since my college years (my readers know who I am, so they immediately recognize the name 'foxs')

Now that's the way to post polite constructive criticism and suggestions.

Finally someone who gets it. Thank you very much for eleborating Fox-s.

After some thought, I have decided to hand over the already translated parts (along with the footnotes I have been making of course) to some associates of mine who are fluent in chinese and let them compare it to Jin Yong's original work and let them recover the losses in translations. Should take them some time, depending on when the final chapters will also be completed, then everyone can expect to find a unabridged completely translated version (depends on which edition of the novel is used) on its own website somewhere on the global Internet.

As for the confusions Atsuko Minowara or should I say Miss. Dominique Levallon caused, I apologize everyone for her.

Miss. Levallon, J'espère que vous appréciez votre travail à GHI mon cherie. Veuillez l'apprécier tandis que vous pouvez.
    Last edited by Adryn Novan; 01-04-06 at 07:02 PM.

Gad it's getting kind of snarlly around here!
    Editing the translations is much more peaceful.
    I just wish I'd got the urge to do it earlier
    I'm starting to feel 'brain strain' though!
    I'm now 16 pages into chapter 14 and I'm hoping to catch up to the translators in the next 2 weeks.
    Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Adryn Novan
    Finally someone who gets it. Thank you very much for eleborating Fox-s.

After some thought, I have decided to hand over the already translated parts (along with the footnotes I have been making of course) to some associates of mine who are fluent in chinese and let them compare it to Jin Yong's original work and let them recover the losses in translations. Should take them some time, depending on when the final chapters will also be completed, then everyone can expect to find a unabridged completely translated version (depends on which edition of the novel is used) on its own website somewhere on the global Internet.

As for the confusions Atsuko Minowara or should I say Miss. Dominique Levallon caused, I apologize everyone for her.

Miss. Levallon, J'espère que vous appréciez votre travail à GHI mon cherie. Veuillez l'apprécier tandis que vous pouvez.

Much better. Respectful, polite, and constructive.

in a place where the latitude and longitude intersect

wow so much arguments here gaw!!!!!!!!!! i havnt been on here for a while and all these arguments are started!!!!!!!!! gosh ppl kool down

and ive been working on ch. 34 but my mom has been glaring at me (my room is a mess) so i havnt been working as hard as i should on it!!!!!!!!!! sry!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

Quote Originally Posted by jin_yong_fan
    wow so much arguments here gaw!!!!!!!!!! i havnt been on here for a while and all these arguments are started!!!!!!!!! gosh ppl kool down

and ive been working on ch. 34 but my mom has been glaring at me (my room is a mess) so i havnt been working as hard as i should on it!!!!!!!!!! sry!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SO CLEAN UP YOUR ROOM ALREADY!

"Wandering the world,
    Sword in hand,
    Searching for a challange,
    Begging for a loss..."

Guess who the poem is talking about and who wrote it.

How low can u all get people??? Why are u all being so insensitive and insultive to someone who made good SUGESTIONS. Read back at his first post and read it carfully, he said he was making sugestions. In my point of view, he acted very mature and profesionally. worthy of a gentleman. while u all stooped low to insulting him, acting so childish. in anyone is the troll or hou dou, its u people, not him.

Xiao long Nu (the forum member) ur choice of user name sucks, by choosing that name, u insult the character in the story. the story char XLN doesnt deserve this insult. u aint worthy to use that name.

In real life i work as a reporter, i hav been a journalist for several years. let me tell u how i met adryn. it was at a seminar on quantum physics, he was one of the presenters. I went there because i heard the man who saved my grandmother's life was going to be there. adryn novan, though not many people in the world know of him, he is one of the most influential people in the word, his organization paid for and tool responsbility of my grandmother's health when she needed a heart transplant. I heard later that it was done on his orders so i started to investigate about the unknown man who helped my family. be warned who u insult, cos the man has his connections and influences everywhere. many of the new things u all take for granted today are due to his work. who knows, the next computer software or game u use may hav com into esistance because of him.

adryn, next time u come on and look at this forum, i hope u see my post. my entire family thanx you for saving my grandma. on behalf of these scum, i apologize, please dont let them form continuing with ur work.

PS: i wish ur fiance the best health (sorry i investigated too far into ur life)

Another Smart Aleck with her life story.
    Mods, please transfer her post somewhere else.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-04-06 at 09:14 PM.

Wow Foxs:
    When I first read your post I thought it was a translation...
    OK, I'll think about what you said.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-04-06 at 09:17 PM.

It seem as if Adryn Novan want to gain respect from everyone in here. Maybe he's not getting the proper or any respect from the real world....taking out his anger in here. Just my two cents.

in anyone is the troll or hou dou, its u people, not him.
    Hou Dou? maybe we should rearrange the words and manipulate a bit and call you Dou Ahou, and I take it you would understand the meaning of that phrase by the origins of ur username.

edit: And regarding the Pinyin usage Fox-s, I think its usually done as OuYang Feng and Wu DunRu since its grouped collectively as family name and given name, and if it's split into Oy Yang Feng, it loses it's meaning since the family name becomes Ou, ? name Yang and given name Feng. Sometimes the person also has another name called their "Zhi", kinda like a callsign. (eg. Guan Yu the 3 Kingdoms hero has his Zhi as Yun Chang and Zhao Yun's is Zi Long, and hence many people know Zhao Yun better as Zhao ZiLong) and in those cases the Zhi is usually added after the name like a title.
    Last edited by Carefree Assassin; 01-04-06 at 09:56 PM.

Wow! I can't wait for the next chapter! I love this story! I've been following it for weeks now. Keep up the good work guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dragongirl
    Wow! I can't wait for the next chapter! I love this story! I've been following it for weeks now. Keep up the good work guys!!!!
    Glad you like it...you'll get to see it in live action in a few days.