Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: RoCH Chap 33 Onwards

Wow! After a night's rest, tons of new posts! Amazing how people can get easily fired up.

@Adryn Novan: I do not know who you are and what great achievements you have done in your life, but no matter how great you are, you just made yourself look little in this forum. If you want some respect here then please start by showing some first, when you first voiced your opinion and suggestions you were offensive, its like your saying that the translators' work here are trash. Sure they are not 100% accurate but who's work is (unless if Jin Yong himself translated)? We don't have anything against you, if you are truly a great man then you should know how to earn respect. Have a nice day!

IcyFox,

I just wanna voice my appreciation for what you are doing. Taking your own time to translate an novel is tedious work. But despite what some people would say, I think you're doing a awesome job and many other people really appreciate your hard work. Reading your and other people's translations really helps to kill our time. Thank you.
    Underneath the fluffly, cudly exterior lies the tormented and complex creature known as the panda.

I am semi -chinese literate, took up chinese in sec school but always failed that subject :P So please pardon me if there are any mistakes, I come from Singapore , i can speak chinese but have a very hard time reading it or writing it.

There are many reason why there are so many different spellings, it is partly due also due to the dialect spoken e.g Yeung Gor is in cantonese while Yang Guo is in chinese Kwok Jin to guo jing etc. ,
    The same chinese words can be spoken in both cantonese and chinese.

And there is different ver of chinese words, If the copy of the novel comes from a taiwanese source, the character sets would be in traditional chinese, if from a chinese source it would be simplfied or modern chinese.

For han yu pin ying there are 4 sounds to every word eg Qing it is usually denoted by a mark above the word , each sound has different meaning, sometimes not all the 4 sounds have meaning.
    qing1 would mean light (as in not heavy)
    qing2 would mean feeling

e.g mā má mǎ mà

more info can be found here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin

I have only explain what i am sure about , so i have missed out some of the other queries.

Nan Hay Shen Nuu
    the last word Nuu should be Ni2 as in Ni2 Gu1 meaning Nun

Lao Wan Tong3, the Tong3 means little kid,
    Zhong Shen Tong1 the word here Tong1 means through or clear, Shen Tong means Divine Clear literally. I would think it has to do with the chinese divination book / book of changes / Taoist book known as 'tong1 shu1'

Jue2 Qing2 Gu, Jue Qing literal meaning means 'stop feelings'. the real meaning means hard hearted or heartless or stop feelings, Qing2 in this context can mean many things e.g Ai4 Qing2 = love, You3 Qing2 = friendship

Dan Zi Shen Dong - Divine Flicking Finger. I think 'Dan' here means bullet.
    Tan2 Zi4 Sheng2 Gong1

Tan2 means Flick or repel or bounce

Hope this makes it clearer for non chinese readers.

I think that the translators here are doing a great job in their own style.
    I personally feel that there aresome chinese poems/words/phrases that would be meaningless when translated directly and vice versa.

Finally, A very Big Thanks to all the translator that work so hard . from the start to the end..
    bear in mind most translations takes years to complete, so lets all be grateful

Cheers,

1st post here after like 3-4? years..

Chak
    Last edited by chak; 01-04-06 at 11:41 PM.

Though it's true that the numbers would help in the phonetic understanding of the words/names, and maybe it's just me but I think that the numbers are aesthetically ugly and actually makes reading harder. and when it's in the english context Chinese names serve only as an identifying thing. It's impossible to replicate the irony in some names like He Shi Wo unless you wan't to rename him Master Is Me, which is nearly as bad as some American guy's translation of the protagonist from Jin Yong's Lu Ding Ji Wei XiaoBao into "little treasure", now what the heck is that as a name. So far the naming of characters has been brilliant, and i think numbers will just make it confusing as to the clarity it currently has.

Chapter 39 - Battle Of Xiang Yang

The Trailer...

举步入内,一瞥眼间,不由得全身一震,只见屋中陈设简陋,但洁净异常,堂上只一桌一几,此外便无别物,桌几 放置的方位他却熟悉之极,竟与古墓石室中的桌椅一模一样。他也不加思量,自然而然的向右侧转去,果然是间小 室,过了小室,是间较大的房间。房中床榻桌椅,全与古墓中杨过的卧室相同,只是古墓中用具大都石制,此处的 却由粗木搭成。但见室右有榻,是他幼时练功的寒玉床;室中凌空拉着一条长绳,是他练轻功时睡卧所用;窗前小 小一几,是他读数写字之处。室左立着一个粗糙木橱,拉开橱门,只见橱中放着几件树皮结成的儿童衣衫,正是从 前在古墓时小龙女为自己所缝制的模样。他自进室中,抚摸床几,早已泪珠盈眶,这时再也忍耐不住,眼泪扑簌簌 的滚下衣衫。忽觉得一只柔软的手轻轻抚着他的头发,柔声问道:“过儿,甚么事不痛快了?”

Stepping in, he looked around and was stunned. The furniture was simple but the house was sparkling clean. There only was a table and chair but its arrangement was very familiar, exactly the same like the arrangement in the Ancient Tomb. He did not examine the place and naturally turned left and he saw a small room. After passing the small room, he found himself looking into a bigger room. In the room the bed, table and chair also had exactly the same arrangement as in the Ancient Tomb. The only difference was that the furniture in the Ancient Tomb was made of stone while the furniture here is made of wood.

On the left was a bed which looked like the Cold Jade Bed he practiced his Internal Strength; In the middle a long rope was suspended through the room which he used to practice his Qing Gong (Lightness Skill); Near the window was a small stool which was where he learnt to read and write. On the left was a rough wooden cabinet; when he opened it he saw children's clothes made of tree bark which was exactly of the same design Xiao Long Nu made for him years ago. He walked into the room and touched the bed. The tears had already welled up in his eyes but now he could not hold them back and the tears rolled off his cheeks and fell onto his shirt.

Suddenly he felt a smooth hand lightly stroking his hair, gently asking, "Guo-Er, what's making you unhappy?"

COMMING SOON...

Last edited by IcyFox; 01-08-06 at 10:14 AM.

can't wait for it
    TaZzY InC

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

argh.....shouldnt have read that....

lol j/k...i love reading anything

Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123
    Glad you like it...you'll get to see it in live action in a few days.
    Like it??? I love it! I've been sitting on my seat eagerly waiting for the next chapters to be translated!

Quote Originally Posted by dragongirl
    Like it??? I love it! I've been sitting on my seat eagerly waiting for the next chapters to be translated!
    Oh my god! here comes Da Bao's successor! 120+ posts since Nov 2005.

OMG that 'teaser excerpt' just about killed me...i thought i was a full blown ROCH addict on the road to recovery (checking thread only two times a day now instead of five )...now it's over- MAJOR relapse into ROCH addiction
    "Things we achieve too easily we esteem too lightly" -Thomas Paine

Personally, I'm just greatful and appreciative that I had discovered this site. I don't think any of us are even in the position where we are worthy to complain about how the chapters or whatever are being translated. Unless you are one of the few who are actually dedicating your time and effort into translating this novel, then you really shouldn't make any rude criticisms/inconsiderate remarks at all. It's really not easy to translate such a complicated book. I mean, the words have to be chosen wisely and of course we all expect decent grammar out of all our tranlsators. Plus, it's not like they're obligated to translate for us, but they do so because they want to share the experience or et cetera. =) ...so lets just be patient and understanding okay? =)

Haha...so there's my rambling for the day.

Go guys! I cant wait to finish this. =)
    Last edited by only.you; 01-05-06 at 02:48 AM.

Default Edited version

Finished chapter 14 and will start 15 in a few minutes.
    I'm starting to get nervous about letting people have access to my edited version of all the translations, since it will be far from perfect. Having to make a judgement call about some of the less than clear intent of some sentences could cause me some grief from some readers. Aside from knowing how to say hello, goodbye, thank you and Happy New Year in Cantonese and Mandarin that's the extent of my knowledge of Chinese!
    Boy am I going to be ready when the series is released for sale. Hopefully there will be nothing major to kick off a nit picking explosion.
    Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Long Nu
    OMG that 'teaser excerpt' just about killed me...i thought i was a full blown ROCH addict on the road to recovery (checking thread only two times a day now instead of five )...now it's over- MAJOR relapse into ROCH addiction
    Oh boy... Do I know that feeling well... I thought I was over but then something just pulls you back in...

I'm almost done with correcting mistakes (mostly grammer) on the chapter 34 (translated by foxs and noddles... if memory serves correctly).
    Please just wait a bit longer. (I'll either post it or wait fo JYF to finish the parts that come before. Very nicely done by the way.)
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Quote Originally Posted by fox-s

Zhong Shen Dong Wang Chong Yang - Central Divinity. The word Dong here means kid or youngster. His title was in the same line as Lao Wan Dong. However, I have never seen the word Dong translated.
    It's actually Tong, not Dong, and it means child. Now, we frequently refer to a child as 'Er Tong'. Zhou Bo Tong, though old in age, was young at heart so he is called Lau Wang Tong which means 'Old Child'.

The 'Tong' word in Lau Wan Tong is a different word from the 'Tong' in Zhong Shen Tong, Wang Chong Yang's title. 'Shen Tong' means one with remarkable abilities or a divine being and the 'Zhong' means middle, since Wang Chong Yang was one of the 5 greats who was situated in the middle, whereas his counterparts were situated North, East, South, West.

Also, the word Wang in his name. Isn't it the same Chinese character as in Fan Yi Weng of the Passionless Valley and later on Xishan Ghosts? Why would one translated as Wang and the other Weng?
    The 'Wang' word in Wang Chong Yang's name is frequently used as a surname, the cantonese translation would be Wong. 'Wang', besides being used as a surname also means king. Weng is a different word.

On other things:
    Jue-jing-gu - passionless valley, loverless valley? The same Jue Jing is used for the pill. What is the exact meaning?
    It's Jue 'Qing' Gu, not Jue 'Jing' Gu. 'Qing' means love. 'Jue' means empty, thus 'Jue Qing' means passionless/loveless and Gu means valley. The valley derived the name from the 'Jue Qing Hua' (Loveless flowers) grown there which as everyone knows, is poisonous when one is pricked by the thorns. Therefore, the antidote to cure the poison is 'Jue Qing Dan' which means Loveless Pill.

Dan Zi Shen Dong - Divine Flicking Finger. I think 'Dan' here means bullet.
    Yes, 'Dan' means bullet.

But it's 'Tan' Zi Shen Tong in this case, not 'Dan' Zi Shen Tong. 'Tan' means to shoot/flick and 'Zi' is finger. 'Shen Tong', i explained earlier, is remarkable ability/divine being.

(Please note that I am NOT Chinese literate - I wish I were, so the above spelling might be incorrect)
    You are not chinese literate and yet u can translate? An amazing feat!
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Well I guess I got a bit excited back there.. certain people have good skills at getting the worse out of anyone ..heheh
    That said, let's go on with translations!!!!!

S4

PD. To Adryn Novan. I am intrigued, your friend compared you to Einstein and even attended one of your seminars in quantum mechanics. It happens I am doing a PhD in a related area but never heard of your name being mentioned anywhere (it's your real name isn't it?). I just want to know if you have any work published.. I am interested (PM me if you feel like it)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bao
    Oh boy... Do I know that feeling well... I thought I was over but then something just pulls you back in...

I'm almost done with correcting mistakes (mostly grammer) on the chapter 34 (translated by foxs and noddles... if memory serves correctly).
    Please just wait a bit longer. (I'll either post it or wait fo JYF to finish the parts that come before. Very nicely done by the way.)

What?! Did you say Noodles ?
    Hey he's back? That's great!

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    What?! Did you say Noodles ?
    Hey he's back? That's great!
    Nah... I'm... very sorry to say, but it's only an excerpt he did awhile back... I really miss him... He was a great translater... I wonder what happened to him?
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Eh... nevermind.

Sunnysnow, your proficiency in Chinese is good...
    Most prob. better than mine... Mine is attrocious.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-05-06 at 04:52 AM.

MANDARIN
    SheDiao YingXiong Zhuan
    Guo Jing
    Huang Rong
    Yang Kang
    Mu Nianci
    Wang Zhongyang
    Hong Qigong
    Huang Yaoshi
    Ouyang Feng
    Yang Tiexin
    Bao Xiruo
    Guo Xiaotian
    Li Ping
    Ouyang Ke
    Mei Chaofeng
    Yi Deng Dashi
    Zhou Buotong
    Qiu Chuji
    Ma Yu
    Hua Zheng
    Tuo Lei
    Qiu Qianren
    Ke Zhen'e
    Ying Gu
    Wanyan Honglie
    Sha Gu
    Yin Zhiping

Shen Diao Xia Lu
    Yang Guo
    Xiao Longnu
    Guo Fu
    Guo Xiang
    Huo Do
    Li Mochou
    Gongsun Lu'er
    Gongsun Zhi
    Jinlun Fawang
    Cheng Ying
    Lu Wushuang
    Zhao Zhijing
    Yelu Qi
    Yelu Yan
    Wanyen Ping
    Wu Dunru
    Wu Xiowen

Yi Tian Tu Long Ji
    Zhang Wuji
    Zhao Ming
    Zhou Zhiruo
    Yin Li
    Xiao Zhao
    Zhang Chuisan
    Yin Susu
    Xie Xun
    Yang Xiao
    Song Yuanqiao
    Yin Liting
    Zhang Sanfeng
    Yu Liandan
    Song Qingshu
    Yang Buhui
    Ji Xiaofu
    Fan Yao
    Yin Yewang
    Wong Baobao
    Cheng Kun
    Mo Shenggu
    Ru Nanwang
    Yu Daiyan
    Yu Lianzhou
    Wei Yixiao

CANTONESE
    Se Diu Ying Hung Juen
    Gwok Jing
    Wong Yung
    Yeung Hong
    Mok Dimchi
    Wong Cheungyeung
    Hung Chutkong
    Wong Yeksi
    Auyeung Fung
    Yeung Titsam
    Pao Sikyeung
    Gwok Siuting
    Liu Ping
    Auyeung Hak
    Mui Chiufung
    Yat Deng Daisi
    Chow Baktung
    Yau Chuetky
    Mar Yuk
    Wah Jang
    Toa Lei
    Kau Chinyan
    Ngor Chan'ngowk
    Ying Ku
    Yeelan Hunglit
    Sau Ku
    Wan Jiping

San Diu Hap Nui
    Yeung Gor
    Siu Longlui
    Gwok Fu
    Gwok Seung
    Fok Do
    Li Moksau
    Kungsin Lokwan
    Kungsin Chi
    Gummo Fatwong
    Cheng Ying
    Lok Moseung
    Chiu Tzeging
    Yehlut Chai
    Yehlut Yin
    Yeelan Ping
    Mo Dunyu
    Mo Sauman

Yat Tin Tut Lung Jit
    Cheung Mogei
    Chiu Ming
    Chow Chiyeung
    Yan Lee
    Siu Ciu
    Cheung Chuisan
    Yan Soso
    Tse Sun
    Yeung Siu
    Sung Yuenkiu
    Yan Leeting
    Cheung Sanfung
    Yuk Lindan
    Sung Chingshu
    Yeung Buthuet
    Kee Siufu
    Fan Yiu
    Yan Yeewong
    Wong Paopao
    Sing Kwan
    Mok Sengkok
    Ji Lam'ong
    Yu Doinam
    Ji Lamchou
    Wi Yatsiu

HOKKIENESE

Sia Tiauw Eng Hiong
    Kwee Ceng
    Oey Yong
    Yo Kang
    Bok Liamci
    Ong Tiongyang
    Ang Citkong
    Oey Yoksu
    Auwyang Hong
    Yo Tiatsim
    Pauw Sekyok
    Kwee Siautin
    Li Ping
    Auwyang Hok
    Bwee Tiauwhong
    It Teng Taysu
    Ciu Pekthong
    Khu Cikee
    Ma Giok
    Go Chin
    Tu Li
    Kiu Cianjin
    Kwa Tinok
    Eng Kouw
    Wanyen Hunglieh
    Sa Kouw
    In Cipeng

Sin Tiauw Hiap Lu
    Yo Ko
    Siauw Lionglie
    Kwee Hu
    Kwee Siang
    Ho Tu
    Li Mociu
    Kongsun Li
    Kongsun Tit
    Kimloen Hoat'ong
    Thia Eng
    Liok Boesong
    Tio Cikeng
    Yehlu Chi
    Yehlu Yen
    Wanyen Ping
    Bu Tunji
    Bu Siubun

To Liong To
    Thio Buki
    Tio Beng
    Ciu Cijiak
    In Li
    Siao Ciao
    Thio Cuisan
    In Soso
    Cia Sun
    Yo Siauw
    Song Wankiauw
    In Liheng
    Thio Samhong
    Ji Thaygiam
    Song Chingsu
    Yo Puthui
    Ke Siauhu
    Hoan Yauw
    In Ya'ong
    Ong Popo
    Seng Kun
    Boh Sengkok
    Ji Lam'ong
    Ji Thaygiam
    Ji Lianciu
    Wi Itsiauw

(My disclaimer: It's not mine not something I made. I found it on internet at silverthreads.net)
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Wow that's useful.
    Thanks.

Eh by the way where did you find Noodles' excerpts from?
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-05-06 at 04:53 AM.