Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: RoCH Chap 33 Onwards

Default Chapter 40

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    Er, Look up... The bunch of Chinese words above your post.
    Just a note : The paragraph offends me because I'm the one translating it... and I don't think I translated properly.
    IcyFox, you forgot I am Chinese illiterate ... I can only read a handful of characters, not enough for me to comprehend the story.

elfyhead, I am so happy you volunteer. I have started a little bit, with the intention of asking Da Bao to do the editing later on. But if you like, I can send you my work. I think we have time now, since IcyFox is not going to post Chapter 40 in a day or two. Let me know, I can either email or pm you, whichever you like.

I still need somebody to check my translation against the original Chinese, plus I need help with the hanyu pinyin. The advantage for you will be: you don't have to start from scratch.

This is the first paragraph of Chapter 40 I started with:

Early the next morning Guo Jing and the others quietly left Xiang Yang for Mount Hua. They avoided the troops and the people’s festive farewell. They walked slowly since Zhou BuoTong, Lu WuShuang, the Wu Brothers and Shi Sui Yu Yin have not recovered from their injuries. They covered only less than a hundred li’s everyday. By the time they arrived at Mount Hua, those who suffered injuries have recovered.

IcyFox wants to do the first part of Chapter 40, so I thought I'd start with after the battle is over.
    Last edited by fox-s; 01-12-06 at 11:28 AM.
    foxs

(to Bubeng) Hey nice of you to drop by.
    Yes! Nice of you to stop by. Have I told you I enjoyed your work?
    foxs

Quote Originally Posted by fox-s
    IcyFox, you forgot I am Chinese illiterate ... I can only read a handful of characters, not enough for me to comprehend the story.
    Ooops, er sorry.
    Er then nevermind, I'll ask my friend to help me...

This is the first paragraph of Chapter 40 I started with:

Early the next morning Guo Jing and the others quietly left Xiang Yang for Mount Hua. They avoided the troops and the people’s festive farewell. They walked slowly since Zhou BuoTong, Lu WuShuang, the Wu Brothers and Shi Sui Yu Yin have not recovered from their injuries. They covered only less than a hundred li’s everyday. By the time they arrived at Mount Hua, those who suffered injuries have recovered.

IcyFox wants to do the first part of Chapter 40, so I thought I'd start with after the battle is over.

Hmmm... that coincidentally happens to be the actual start of Chapter 40... Told you guys Chapter 40 is a sequel to the epilogue to RoCH...

If it's not too late then maybe you could start on this paragraph:

Orginally Written by Jin Yong

只听得那两人上了峰顶,伏在一块大岩之后。过了半晌,一人悄声道:“潇湘兄,这华
    山林深山密,到处可以藏身。咱们好好的躲上几日,算那秃驴神通如何广大,也未必能寻得
    到。待他到别地寻找,咱们再往西去。”
    Rough translation : They heard 2 people behind a large rock. After a while, someone said, "Brother Xiao Xiang, this Mt. Hua forest is dense, we can hide easily. Let's hide for a few days and that monk won't be able to find us. If he really finds us we can always head west."

That's the conversation between Yin Kexi and Xiao Xiang Zi.

If it's too late then nevermind. Chapter 40 is yours.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-12-06 at 11:55 AM.

Ooops, er sorry.
    Rough translation : They heard 2 people behind a large rock. After a while, someone said, "Brother Xiao Xiang, this Mt. Hua forest is dense, we can hide easily. Let's hide for a few days and that monk won't be able to find us. If he really finds us we can always head west."

That's the conversation between Yin Kexi and Xiao Xiang Zi.

If it's too late then nevermind. Chapter 40 is yours.
    Not a problem! Or, if you want, I can send you the part I've finished, you can do whatever you want with it.
    foxs

Wah kao, translating this paragraph is really giving me a headache...

?????????????“???????”??????“?????????
    ???????????????????????????????????????
    ????????????????????????????????????????
    ??????????????”?????????????????????????
    ???????????????????????????????????????
    ???????????“???”????????????????????????
    ????????????????????????????

If you happen to read any paragraph that seems to be total rubbish in Chap 39 then this must be the one... I can't help it, my mastery of the Chinese language is not at that level yet...
    I hope my translation helps

The jade maiden skill's cultivating techniques from the ancient tomb sect concentrates on the essential rules of the " twelve nothingness and twelve plentifulness" which support each other. The 'twelve nothingness' refers to the restrictions regarding thought, love, desires, matters, words, laughter, worries, fun, happiness, anger, good and evil. The 'twelve nothingness' will inevitably become part of one's livelihood. The ‘twelve plentifulness’ states that if one thinks too much, her concentration will be disrupted. If one loves too much, her energy will break down. If one desires too much, she will lose her knowledge. If one has too many matters at hand, she will look weary in appearance. If one talks too much, if will affect her breathing. If one laughs too much, she will injure her organs. If one worries too much, it will affect her nerves. If one plays too much, it will affect her ideas. If one is too happy, it will result in complacency and trouble. If one is too angry, it will affect her pulse. If one experiences too much good, she will despair. If one experiences too much evil, she will invite chaos. If one does not rid the ‘twelve plentifulness’, one would not reach enlightenment.

These rules were imposed and made essential by the founder, Lin Chao Ying. Xiao Long Nu started following these rules from a young age and her skills were therefore of the purest form, since she did not experience joy nor fun, emotions or thoughts. But when Yang Guo entered the tomb, she had lived and communicated with him. They also developed deep feelings for each other, though both were unaware of it. Therefore, the rules, which restricted one to talk, carry out matters, have fun, happiness and worries were all washed down the drain. After the marriage, Yang Guo and Xiao Long Nu were separated for sixteen years. Yang Guo wandered in the wind, traveled around the Jiang Hu world and carried with him a grieving heart. However, Xiao Long Nu lived alone in the depths of the valley and although she missed Yang Guo terribly, the skills she attained in the twenty odd years before the separation had been significant. After the first few years, she began to practice the essential rules of the ‘Twelve Nothingness’ again. She slowly reduced her emotions, thoughts and desires. Thus, even though she led a lonely life under the valley, she did not feel lonely or depressed. As a result, when the couple reunited after this long, Yang Guo looked much older than Xiao Long Nu.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Can I use it?
    Thanks.

Thumbs up Chapter 39 - Battle Of Xiang Yang

Last edited by IcyFox; 01-15-06 at 08:16 PM.

P.S. - Actually I've translated past this point but I thought this is a good place to stop.
    oh the torture of anticipation

Chapter 39 - The Battle Of Xiang Yang

Trailer...

Guo Xiang said, "Fa Wang, let me give you a piece of advice." Fa Wang gritted his teeth and asked, "What?"

Fa Wang shouted, "8... 9... 10! Good, light the fire!"

Yang Guo said, "Miss Guo Fu, kowtow to me 3 times and I'll save your husband."

COMING SOON

Phew ... ! I thought my consolidated Chapter 38 would be after your completed Chapter 39 ...

IcyFox, elfyhead, have you received the file I sent?

Sunnysnow: You are good! Too bad you didn't want to take me as your disciple ...
    Last edited by fox-s; 01-12-06 at 10:07 PM.
    foxs

Default Chapter 38 - complete

Chapter 38 – Life And Death Are Boundless

In the meantime Guo Xiang was still held captive by Jin Lun Fa Wang. She was sad, angry and scared because the Long Sleeve Ghost and the Big Headed Ghost died under Fa Wang’s hands. She knew she couldn't escape his clutches so she boldly said, "Quickly kill me, what are you waiting for?” Fa Wang laughed, "Killing you is too easy. But I have killed two men, and that’s enough for today. I'll deal with you after a few days. For now just follow me." Guo Xiang knew fighting him would be futile, so she just made faces at him and mounted the horse.

Fa Wang was very pleased to have Guo Jing’s daughter in his hands. He believed he could force Guo Jing to surrender. Guo Jing was the most wanted man by the Mongolian king and his cousin. If Guo Jing was not willing to surrender, Fa Wang would torture the girl; he wanted to disturb Guo Jing’s mind so that Xiang Yang’s defense would be weakened.

That evening Jin Lun Fa Wang took any empty house he could find to pass the night. He gave his dried food [biscuits?] to Guo Xiang; and then let the girl slept inside while he sat meditating outside.

Guo Xiang slept fitfully. Around midnight she heard Fa Wang's snore, she took a peek and saw him sitting against the wall. She was delighted. Carefully she opened the window and sneaked out. She then tore her robe into four pieces, with which she wrapped her horse’s hoofs. Then she walked her horse carefully out. After about half a ‘li’ (about Ľ km) and did not see Fa Wang following, she mounted the horse and galloped to the southwest. She thought when Fa Wang awoke; he would think Guo Xiang was running south, back to Xiang Yang. The horse ran for about an hour then slowed down because of fatigue. She often looked back, still no Fa Wang in sight. She kept running for about seventy li’s, and only then did she feel relieved.

Guo Xiang climbed a hill, going higher and higher. The path was turning in front of her, and out of the blue she heard somebody was snoring very loud. She saw somebody was sleeping across the path in front of her. And how she was shocked! It was Jin Lun Fa Wang, with his baldhead and yellow robe. She turned her horse around and ran as fast as they could, this time toward southeast. She looked back and saw Fa Wang was still sleeping soundly. A moment later she got to a small forest, with a lot of trees around. Again, she was shocked! A man was hanging down with his feet on a tree branch. It was Jin Lun Fa Wang! By now she was enraged. The priest was looking at her and laughed mockingly.

“If you want to capture me, just do it! Why would you play a crazy game like this?” she said. And then she came near the priest. Suddenly she swung her whip toward the priest’s face. Her horse leaped forward at the same time so that they passed the priest. Then she tried to pull her whip back, but she felt a strong force pulling her the other way; her body was lifted up from the saddle. The whip was lashing toward Fa Wang, but the priest opened his mouth and bit it, then he pulled the whip and Guo Xiang was flung toward him.

Guo Xiang stayed calm; she deliberately let go of the whip that her body fell down. Fa Wang was shocked, he thought she was too weak to hold on to the whip and fell down. Immediately he jumped down and readied himself to receive her body. “Watch out!” he said.

“Ouch!” Guo Xiang pretended to be hurt. Her body was only two feet away from the priest. Suddenly she exerted her energy and threw both hands toward the priest’s chest. Two loud crashing sounds were heard. Fa Wang fell down and looked to her he was fainted.

Guo Xiang was delighted, it was better than what she had expected. Quickly she lifted up a big rock to smash his baldhead. Nevertheless, she had never killed anybody in her life before. True, this priest had killed two of her friends, but still she did not have a heart to kill him. Finally she put the stone down, and thrust her fingers out to seal Fa Wang’s accupoints, one on the back, the other on the neck. Then another one on the chest, on his arm, above his eyes and a few others, a total of thirteen accupoints. She was not satisfied yet. She lifted four heavy stones, about seventy to eighty jins each, and placed them on top of Fa Wang’s body.

“Wicked man! Oh, wicked man!” she said, “Today your miss does not want to kill you, but remember that you should repent and would not hurt anybody anymore.” Then she mounted her horse ready to leave.

Jin Lun Fa Wang suddenly opened up his eyes, looked at her and laughed, “Little miss, you have a very kind heart,” he said, “This old priest likes you very much!”

While he was still talking, the four stones on his body suddenly flew up and fell crashing down with a loud noise, while the priest himself leaped up. Somehow he managed to unseal himself. Guo Xiang was so startled that she froze.

Fa Wang indeed was hit by Guo Xiang, but he wasn’t injured. The martial arts level between them was like heaven and earth. Fa Wang was only pretended to fell down and fainted. He was curious at what Guo Xiang would do to him. He let his accupoints sealed and even let Guo Xiang placed big stones on his body. He thought, “This kid has a kind heart, much better than my two disciples. She is perfect.” Right then and there he decided to take Guo Xiang as his disciple.

Jin Lun Fa Wang had a total of three disciples. His first disciple was well verse in martial arts and literature. He was very talented and Fa Wang had intended to make him his successor. It's a pity he died very young. His second disciple, Da Er Ba, was naďve and simple, his talent was just average. His third disciple was Prince Hou Dou, he had an ill character, and moreover, he betrayed his master and martial brother. Fa Wang was disappointed. He regretted the fact that he might not have somebody to inherit his skills. Therefore, seeing Guo Xiang was talented and kind hearted, he immediately made a decision to take her as his successor. He did not care if Guo Xiang was his enemy’s daughter. Wasn’t she still young and innocent? He was certain that eventually he would be able to shape her character. Because of this thought he gave up his original plan of attacking Xiang Yang or disturbing Guo Jing’s mind.

Guo Xiang stared at the priest. His eyes rolled, his mouth shut. She dismounted her horse and came near him.

“Old Monk,” she said, “your skill is very high, it’s a pity you have a wicked heart.”

“If you admire my skill,” said the priest, laughing, “take me as your master. I’ll teach you everything I know.”

“Pfft!” Guo Xiang snickered, “Why would I learn a Monk’s skill? I don’t want to be a nun!”

Fa Wang laughed. “How could learning my skill makes you a nun?” he said, “You have sealed my accupoints, I unsealed them myself. You put stones on me, those stones flew up. You have run away riding a horse, but I could sleep in front of your horse! Don’t you think all those skills are worth learning?”

Guo Xiang knew the priest was highly skilled, but she also knew he was ruthless. How could she take him as her master? Besides, she was busy looking for Yang Guo. She didn’t want to waste any time chitchatting with the priest. So she shook her head.

“Even if you have a higher skill, I still don’t want to take a wicked man as my master!” she honestly said.

“Uh, how would you know I am a wicked man?” asked Fa Wang.

“You easily killed the Long Sleeved Ghost and Big Headed Ghost! They were not even your enemies, why did you kill them?”

Fa Wang laughed. “Don’t take me wrong!” he said, “I was just helping you to get a horse. They were the ones who attacked me first! Didn’t you see? If my skill was low, wouldn’t I be dead in their hands? A monk has to have a benevolent heart, he would not kill if the situation was not pressing …”

“Hmm!” Guo Xiang snickered. She didn’t want to believe him. “What kind a person are you? If you are a good person, you would let me go.”

“I didn’t let you go?” the priest countered. “You rode a horse, you were free to go to the east or west, I was just sleeping on the road! I didn’t even touch you!”

“If that’s the case, let me go looking for Brother Yang. Don’t you say another word!” she said.

“Oh, I can’t do that!” Fa Wang shook his head. “You have to take me as your master, you’ll have to be under my tutelage for twenty years. After that, you are free to look for anybody you wish to meet.”

Guo Xiang was upset. “Old Priest, you don’t have any manners! I don’t want to take you as my master! Why do you force me to?”

“You are the one who don’t have any manner!” said the priest. “Where in the world could you find a highly skilled master like me? Other people begged and kowtowed to me three hundred times, I still did not take them as disciples. On the other hand, you have found a very good opportunity, not once in a thousand years, but you refused it. Aren’t you the eccentric one?”

“Shameless! You are shameless!” Guo Xiang stuck her tongue out and put her fingers on her cheeks. “Who said you are a highly skilled master? You can’t even overcome me, a teenage girl. What’s wrong with you? Can you defeat my father and mother? Can you defeat my grandfather, the old Master Huang? Let’s not talk about father or mother or grandfather, you can’t even defeat my Brother Yang Guo! Hm!”

“Who said that?” shouted Fa Wang. “Who said I couldn’t defeat that kid Yang Guo?”

“Everybody in the world did!” answered Guo Xiang. “Just a few days ago we had a Heroes Summit at Xiang Yang. Everybody said that even three Jin Lun Fa Wangs could not possibly defeat the one-armed Condor Hero Yang Guo!”

Actually, Guo Xiang was just rambling around to provoke Fa Wang’s anger. The Heroes Summit only discussed the defense of Xiang Yang and strategies to fight the Mongolians. Even if someone did actually mentioned Fa Wang and Yang Guo, how would she know? She wasn’t even in attendance. But her words was right on target, since the fact was that more than ten years ago Fa Wang was defeated by Yang Guo. Therefore, Fa Wang was livid!

“If Yang Guo were here,” he said loud and angry, “I would give him a lesson in Dragon and Elephant Wisdom Dexterity technique. I want him to suffer real bad, so that the world would know who is better, Yang Guo or I.”

“You knew Yang Guo is not here that you dare to boast!” said Guo Xiang, provoking. “Do you have any guts to find him and fight? Your skill Snake and Pig Wisdom Dexterity technique …”

“That’s Dragon and Elephant Wisdom Dexterity technique!” Fa Wang cut her off. He was so upset his Dragon and Elephant Wisdom Dexterity technique became Snake and Pig Wisdom Dexterity technique … Of course he was furious.

“If you can beat Brother Yang Guo, then it is dragon and elephant,” said Guo Xiang. “Otherwise, if you are beaten in just one stance, you are no more than snake and pig! If you can defeat Brother Yang Guo, you don’t have to force me, I will come and beg you to be my master … Only I know for sure that you are scared to go and find Brother Yang Guo. So let’s not waste our breath here! I am sure you will run with your tail between your legs as soon as you see even his shadow!”

Fa Wang was not stupid. He knew the girl was just trying to inflame his anger, but he was a proud man. The only disgrace in his life was his defeat from Yang Guo. Now that he had mastered the tenth level of the Dragon and Elephant Wisdom Dexterity technique, fighting Yang Guo was on top of his list. Therefore, hearing Guo Xiang, he said with confidence, “I told you I knew where he was, I was just deceiving you. Too bad I don’t know his whereabouts. If I do, I will certainly find him. I will beat him and make him kowtow to me begging for mercy!”

Guo Xiang clapped her hands, she laughed mockingly. “O priest, a liar priest!” she shouted. “You are boasting yourself as a valiant man, unmatched in skill, but as soon as you see Yang Guo come from the east, you will certainly run to the west!”

“Phoey!” Fa Wang spat, seething with anger.

“Even though I have no idea where Brother Yang Guo is right now, but I know where he will be in about a month,” said Guo Xiang.

“Where will he be?” asked Fa Wang.

“Why would I tell you? You are scared of him anyway! Forget it! It will only cause you nightmares that your heart will be troubled.”

Fa Wang was so angry that he gnashed his teeth. “Tell me … tell me!” he barked.

“He is going to the Passionless Valley!” Guo Xiang explained. “He is going to the Intestine Ripping Gorge! He will meet with Xiao Long Nuu, his wife. One Yang Guo will scare the hell out of you, if he is with Xiao Long Nuu … hm … hmm … Ah old priest, why do you want to go to Intestine Ripping Gorge just to be beaten to death?”

For more than ten years Fa Wang had trained his new skill, the Dragon and Elephant Wisdom Dexterity technique. He wanted to test this new skill against the Jade Maiden Sword technique of Yang-Long couple. He felt that his training was complete, at least enough to fight the couple. He had sworn not to step his foot on the central plains if he could not defeat the couple. Therefore, Guo Xiang speech was right on target. Out of anger he laughed.

“OK, fine. Let us leave for the Passionless Valley right now,” he said, “but what if I can defeat both Yang Guo and Xiao Long Nuu?”

“If you really are any good, why wouldn’t I take you as my master?” countered the girl. “Only thing is, the Passionless Valley is so remote and difficult to find …”

“Don’t you worry!” laughed Fa Wang. “I know that place, I’ve been there. It’s still early; you follow me to the camp. I have some business to attend. I’ll take you to the Passionless Valley afterward.”

Hearing this, Guo Xiang was relieved. She thought, “I was afraid you don’t want to go. Now that you want to, why should I be worry? O priest, you may be arrogant, but just wait till you meet Brother Yang Guo!”

Hence she followed the priest to the Mongolian camp without hesitation.

Fa Wang had determined to take Guo Xiang as his disciple; he wanted her to inherit all his skills. And since he had to win her heart first, he treated Guo Xiang with utmost courtesy and respect. It is difficult to find a good master in the martial world; but it is equally difficult to find a talented disciple. Along the way Fa Wang had found out that Guo Xiang was really smart and talented, therefore, he was delighted.

Guo Xiang often chided him for killing the Long Sleeve Ghost and the Big Headed Ghost; but Fa Wang wasn’t unhappy, on the contrary, he praised her as having a benevolent heart, unlike his own ruthless Hou Dou.

Fa Wang took Guo Xiang to the Mongolian camp, the one where Khubilai – the Emperor cousin's, was. It was the southern camp; while the one Yang Guo investigated was the northern one – where the Khan was. The two officials who were overheard by Ke Zhen E spoke in general term, while Ke Zhen E himself was not aware that there were two different camps. Thus Yang Guo's search was in vain.

Actually Fa Wang and Guo Xiang left for the Passionless Valley not too long after Yang Guo, but because Yang Guo was in haste, the distance between them was more than a hundred li’s. This made Yang Guo arrived at the Passionless Valley a few days earlier than they did.

In Xiang Yang, Guo Jing and Huang Rong were so worried for their daughter. After more than ten days came reports from the Beggar Clan disciples who were being sent to search everywhere. Those reports were unanimous: no trace of Guo Xiang.

After a few more days, Cheng Ying and Lu WuShuang arrived in Xiang Yang. They brought news from Ke Zhen E that Guo Xiang was captured and brought to the Mongolian camp. Guo Jing and Huang Rong were very shocked! That night Huang Rong and Cheng Ying went to the enemy’s camp. But just like Yang Guo, they did not find anything. On the third night they were sighted; which resulted in a battle with the Mongolian officers. They were surrounded by more than forty soldiers, but with their swords’ help, they could escape and went back home to Xiang Yang.

Huang Rong was baffled. She believed Guo Xiang was not inside the Mongolian camp. But since there was no other news, she became more worry than ever. She discussed this situation with Guo Jing. They decided that Huang Rong should go and search for Guo Xiang. She would take their two white condors, with the intention of using them as couriers later on.

Lu WuShuang and Cheng Ying immediately expressed their intention of coming along Huang Rong. She quickly agreed, since they would be valuable helpers. They came out of Xiang Yang, went around the enemy’s camp, and going northwest. Their destination was Fenglingdu. Huang Rong thought that since Guo Xiang’s intention was to find Yang Guo, and since they first met around Fenglingdu, she believed they would find some clues around that place.

This journey took place in the winter. They proceeded slowly because they needed to ask people along the way. It was already the second month when they finally arrived at Fenglingdu. Over there again they asked lots of people that might see Guo Xiang: the peddlers, cart drivers, restaurant workers, and anybody who could possibly see somebody fit Guo Xiang’s description. But so far the result was negative.

“Shi Jie (older martial sister), don’t you worry,” Cheng Ying tried to console Huang Rong. “Xiang Er is a very lucky girl. Just remember the day she was born; she was fought over by Jin Lun Fa Wang and Lo Mo Chou, both were the epitome of evils. Didn’t somebody say that if someone survive a grave danger, one would be lucky all one’s life? She was in grave danger then, and she survived. So I believe she will survive now.”

Huang Rong sighed, but didn’t say anything.

The three of them left Fenglingdu, headed out of town. The sun was shining, the weather was getting warmer, and they could feel the southernly breeze. The spring was coming. Cheng Ying was trying to entertain Huang Rong. She pointed to a flower bush and said, “Shi Jie, here in the north the spring comes much later. Just look at these peach blossoms. Aren’t they already blooming at the Peach Blossom Island? I think they even sprout some fruits already.” She picked a peony, played with it and softly singing, “I ask the flower, but I have no answer. Why do flowers fall? Why do they bloom? Third part for the spring, the other third float on the water, and the rest back to the dirt …” [anybody would like to help refine this? Please pm me, I’ll make correction before consolidating the parts into one big chapter]

Huang Rong gazed at Miss Cheng. She was beautiful, just like Huang Rong always remembered her. She recalled how Cheng Ying lived a quiet life. She was still daydreaming when suddenly her ears caught some buzzing noise. It was a big honey bee. It flew around the peony in Cheng Ying’s hand, and then landed on the flower. That bee was gray and bigger than average bees. Suddenly a thought came flashing in her mind.

“This bee looks like Xiao Long Nuu’s jade bee. How come it is here?” she asked no one in particular.

“You are right,” said WuShuang. “Let us follow this bee. See where the beehive is …”

That bee gathered some nectar, and then it flew around, and finally flew toward the northwest. The three of them immediately followed. The bee flew and landed on some other flowers along the way. Not too long they saw two other bees. Nearly dusk they arrived at a very beautiful valley. It was there that the bees went into their beehive. There were seven or eight other beehives made of wood.

Just at the foothill they saw a long wooden house with three doors in front. There were two small foxes playing around in front of the house, their eyes gazed toward the visitors. About that time the middle door swung open, and out came an old man with a very healthy countenance, his face so fresh like that of a young boy.

Seeing this old man, Huang Rong was thrilled. “Old Urchin, look who’s here! Look here!”

That old man was indeed Zhou BuoTong. He lifted his head, laughing heartily and start running toward Huang Rong. But after only a few steps he stopped abruptly. He blushed, turned around and ran fast to the house, slammed the door closed!

Huang Rong was surprised; she had no idea why he behaved peculiarly. She came to the door and banged it. “Old Urchin! Old Urchin!” she called, “There are guests coming from afar, why are you hiding?” Huang Rong kept banging the door, but BuoTong shouted, “No! I am not going to open the door!”

“Are you sure?” Huang Rong chuckled. “I am going to light a fire, I am going to burn your dog house down to the earth!”

Huang Rong was just shutting her mouth up when suddenly the door on the left opened, out came a smiling priest who said, “On this remote hill and quiet forest came honorable guests. I, the old priest, bow to welcome you!”

Huang Rong looked and she saw Reverend Yi Deng was smiling sweetly, his hands clasped in respect. Quickly she came over and bowed to him.

“Ah, turns out the Venerable Priest and Old Urchin are neighbors!” she said, chuckling. “It really is beyond my expectation! But why did Old Urchin close his door and refuse to welcome the guests?”

Reverend Yi Deng laughed. “Don’t mind him!” he said, “Please come into my hut, I will serve you tea.”

Cheng Ying and Lu WuShuang came and paid their respect, expressing their gratitude they went inside the Reverend’s hut.

Yi Deng immediately served them tea. Huang Rong asked his well-being since the last time they met.

“Mrs. Guo, can you guess who lives in the other hut?” he asked, smiling.

Huang Rong thought for a moment. She wondered why the Old Urchin’s behavior was so strange. Then she laughed and recited this poem, “’In the winter time, in a hidden place. In the spring time, when the tree sprouts its buds, there stand facing each other, taking a bath wearing red clothes.’ [I need help here … again, pm me ] Good! Good!”

Reverend Yi Deng laughed heartily. What Huang Rong was reciting was [Su Tiang Ki – not sure the pinyin. Any help?], written by Concubine Lu Ying Gu. But Yi Deng’s heart was free; he did not concern himself with past matters. He clapped his hands and said, “Mrs. Guo is really smart, you guessed right!” And then he walked to the door and called, “Ying Gu, Ying Gu, come over here, come meet our old friends!”

A moment later Ying Gu came over, a tray in her hands. There were [some kind of fruits – not sure. Any help?] and some honey.

Huang Rong and her company quickly bowed in respect, and then the five of them sat and talked happily. Didn’t old acquaintances gathered together?

Huang Rong was very happy. For a long, long time they were involved in love, hatred and revenge. But now Zhou BuoTong, Reverend Yi Deng and Ying Gu had set aside their differences, opened their hearts and made peace with each other. They spent their sunset years living together in this beautiful valley, the Thousand Flowers Valley. They became beekeepers, did some gardening, and even worked the rice field. But Old Urchin was embarrassed, that was the reason he hid himself. Still, he could not resist listening to their conversation. He eavesdropped from his room. He heard Huang Rong’s narration on the Heroes Summit at Xiang Yang, the festivities, everything. Until she came to the part where Prince Hou Dou’s disguised was uncovered. She deliberately changed the subject and continued. Zhou BuoTong could not resist hiding much longer. He opened his door and came barging.

“And then what?” he asked impatiently, “Did Hou Dou ran away?”

They laughed. The conversation became more and more animated!

That night the guests slept in Ying Gu’s room. The next morning Huang Rong woke up and went outside; she saw Zhou BuoTong was dancing around like crazy, a big bee in his hand.

“Hey, Old Urchin, what are you doing?” Huang Rong asked, chuckling. “You look extremely happy.”

“Hey, Little Huang Rong, my skill is getting better by the day,” came the answer, “do you or don’t you admit inferiority?”

Huang Rong knew this old man very well; his two traits were: first, he loved to fool around; second, he was crazy about martial arts. After he had been living alone in this remote area for more than ten years, it could be that he had improved his martial arts considerably, or it could be that he had invented some new and weird stances. She remembered his “dividing mind, left hand fighting the right hand.” Hence she was laughing before she even answered his question.

“If you are talking about martial arts, I have always admired you since I was a kid,” she said. [Zhou Buotong was held captive at Peach Blossom Island even before Huang Rong was born, I think – see LOCH] “I admit inferiority. Why did you even mention it? I wonder what new and wonderful stances have you invented these past few years?”

But BuoTong shook his head. “Oh no! No!” he declined, “It was Little Yang Guo who is crazy about martial arts these past few years. He had invented 'An Ran Xiao Hun Zhang', the Melancholic Sad Palms, which put me to shame. Therefore, let’s not talk about martial arts.”

Secretly, Huang Rong was very impressed. “This kid Yang Guo is amazing,” she thought, “First it was Guo Xiang, a mere kid. Now it is Old Urchin, a veteran. Everybody praises him. I wonder what kind of kung fu is 'An Ran Xiao Hun Zhang'?” Then she asked, “Well, you just said that your skill is getting better by the day. What kind of skill is that?”

Zhou BuoTong lifted up his hand – with the bee in it, high in the air. He looked so proud.

“This is my skill: keeping bees!” he said.

“Those bees were given to you by Xiao Long Nu [I still think her given name was not Longnu]. What’s so special about it?” Huang Rong asked.

“This is the amazing part,” said the Old Urchin. “The jade bees given by Xiao Long Nu were valuable creatures. After I took care of them, they become even more valuable, very rare, second to none! This is amazing! How could Xiao Long Nu compared to me?”

Huang Rong laughed a big laugh! “Oh Old Urchin, you have become more shameless than ever!” she said. “This time you blew your horn really loud. Now, THAT is second to none!”

Zhou BuoTong was not angry, he even chuckled. “Oh Little Huang Rong, let me ask you this: Human beings is the most perfect creature, we can tattoo our own body, making pictures of dragons, tigers, or leopards. We can even tattoo a book. However, other than human beings; among the birds or the beasts, or the bugs, is there any tattoo?”

“Yes, there are,” answered Huang Rong. “Tigers have stripes, leopards have spots, butterflies and snakes could be very colorful.”

“But answer this,” continued BuoTong, “on the bugs, have you ever seen characters?”

“Are you talking about natural bugs?” Huang Rong asked. “If so, then the answer is no.”

“Good! Now let me show you this!” And he stretched his arm toward Huang Rong.

Huang Rong looked at the bee carefully. She found out that on the bee’s wings there were indeed characters! She looked closer, wanted to know what they said. On the left wing, there were three characters, ‘Wo Cay Jue [I am at Jue],’ and another set of three characters on the right wing, ‘Qing Gu Di [Qing Valley’s bottom]’. Together they form a sentence, ‘I am at the [Jue Qing] Passionless Valley’s bottom.’ The characters were the size of a grain of rice, yet they were very clear. Looked like they were made with needles.

Huang Rong was amazed, she read and re-read the sentence, ‘I am at the Passionless Valley’s bottom.’ This obviously was not natural, someone must have had written it. Considering the Old Urchin’s character, he would not have a patience to write this letters … A moment later she said, “You said this is very rare, second to none. But I am sure you have asked Ying Gu to tattoo these six characters! How could you fool me?”

Zhou BuoTong blushed. “You go and ask Ying Gu!” he challenged. “You ask if it was she who tattooed the bee!”

“Don’t you think she will conspire with you and lie to me?” Huang Rong asked. “If you said the sun rises from the west, she would certainly say the same thing.”

“That’s a fact!” said the Old Urchin, “The sun indeed rises from the west. Who said it was from the east?” Even though he said that, he could not help blushing. He was embarrassed, shy, and irritated at the same time. He let the bee go and grabbed Huang Rong’s hand.

“Come! Come! Come!” he said, irritated. “I will let you see it with your own eyes.”

He pulled Huang Rong to the side of the hill, where a beehive was hung, separated from the other beehives. He stretched his arm into the beehive and caught two bees.

“Now, see this!” he said, showing the jade bees to her.

Huang Rong strained her eyes. She found both bees had the three-character sets on their wings. The characters also read ‘I am at the Passionless Valley’s bottom.’ She was more amazed. “This is really peculiar,” she thought. “I need to get to the bottom of this …” So she said, “Old Urchin, please catch a few more bees for me!”

Zhou BuoTong caught four bees, two had characters just like the other, and the rest didn’t have any. He showed them to Huang Rong who was silent; either she was thinking hard or she gave up.

“Now, what else do you have to say?” he asked, laughing heartily. “Today you see the Old Urchin’s amazing ability!”

Huang Rong did not reply, she kept murmuring, “I am at the Passionless Valley’s bottom. I am at the Passionless Valley’s bottom.” She was still memorizing the sentence when suddenly a thought came to her mind, “Ah, somebody is at the bottom of the Passionless Valley! But who could it be? Who is at the valley’s bottom? Could it be Xiang Er?” She turned her head to look at Zhou BuoTong, and said, “Old Urchin, these jade bees were not yours. They flew in from somewhere else!”

Again the Old Urchin blushed. “Ah, this is weird!” he shouted, “How did you know that?”

“Why wouldn’t I know?” answered Huang Rong. “These few bees have been flying in for some times now.”

“Actually, they have been flying here for a few years,” said BuoTong, “but I had never suspected it and never examined their wings. It was just a few days ago that I found out about it.”

“Is that true it had been a few years?” Huang Rong asked, thinking hard.

“That’s correct! Why would I lie to you?”

Huang Rong stayed silent while she walked back to the house. She wanted to see Reverend Yi Deng, Ying Gu, Cheng Ying and Lu WuShuang to discussed these extraordinary bees, which she believed must have come from the Passionless Valley. They agreed that something unusual must have been happening in that valley. Because she was always thinking about her daughter, she asked Cheng Ying and Lu WuShuang to accompany her going to the valley.

“We have nothing to do here, let us go together,” Reverend Yi Deng said. “Your daughter and I met the other day. She was really sweet. I like her very much.”

“Thank you,” said Huang Rong, who was saddened by his remark. She thought, “Looks like Reverend Yi Deng thought Xiang Er is in trouble, maybe grave danger; if not, I don’t think he would be willing to leave this peace and quiet place to go with us.”

Zhou BuoTong loved actions, he offered to come along and even persuaded Ying Gu to come too.

Huang Rong was comforted. She had three more highly skilled companions. With six people, she believed not many things or enemies would hinder their endeavor to find Guo Xiang. Even if she is facing a formidable enemy, Huang Rong believed they would be able to help her.

And so six people and two condors started the journey to the Passionless Valley.

In the meantime, Yang Guo realized the appointed time Xiao Long Nu had promised him was drawing near. He didn’t dare to slow down, he made the trip day and night, only stopped for meals and short rests along the way. He arrived at the Passionless Valley on the second day of the third month. He was five days early.

The Passionless Valley was quiet, nobody was around. The magnificent building complex built by the Gongsun family was reduced to some ruins. In the sixteen years since they parted Yang Guo had visited the valley several times. He used to stay for a few days, wishing the Goddess of the South Sea would show mercy and let Xiao Long Nu meeting him earlier. Only, every time he came with enthusiasm, but left the valley dejected. Now he saw the forest was thick, but the hills were empty, without any trace of Xiao Long Nu. He immediately went to the Intestine Ripping Gorge, crossed the stone bridge to the letter carved by Xiao Long Nu’s sword on the stone. He lovingly traced the letters with his fingers, and cleaned up the moss at the same time. Afterward he would slowly read the letter, ‘Xiao Long Nu addresses my lord Yang-lang, please treasure this, beg that you fufill this reunion’. His heart was shaken.

For a whole day that day he kept looking at the letters. That night, he spent the night by sleeping on the rope tied between two trees. The next day he looked around the valley, where the Passionless Flowers used to be; which he and Cheng Ying and WuShuang had destroyed. The flowers were completely gone; instead, he found out that the flower which he jokingly named Dragon Lady Flower [Long Nu Hua] had spread to other places. He picked a bouquet of this flower and placed it in front of the letters at the Intestine Ripping Gorge.

He spent the next few days pacing around. He didn’t even sleep during the last two days. Today was the seventh day of the third month. He stayed close to the Intestine Ripping Gorge, never left for even a half-step. He waited from morning till noon, from noon till late afternoon. Every time a breeze came, or a flower or a leave fell down, his heart jumped. He would leap up and looked everywhere. But where was Xiao Long Nu?

Ever since he talked to Huang Yaoshi, Yang Guo had realized that the ‘Goddess of the South Sea of the Great Wisdom Island [Da Zhi Dao]’ existed only in Huang Rong’s imagination. However, looking at the letter his hope was rekindled. He recognized his wife’s handwriting, and he was hoping Xiao Long Nu would eventually show up.

The sun was slowly sinking beyond the mountains on the west. Yang Guo’s heart was sinking too. When the sun was half-way down the mountain, he cried. He quickly ran toward a higher ground. There he saw the full circle of the sun, and he felt relieved. When the sun was completely set, the day would be over …

Yang Guo had climbed to the highest peak, but the sun still slowly moved downward, like it was swallowed by the earth. After a while he couldn’t see anything but the empty world and the cold breeze that came with the night. He stood silently for about an hour. Afterward the moon slowly rose until it was high above him. He still stood there, unmoving … like a carved stone. Slowly the night was spent but Xiao Long Nu was still nowhere to be seen.

Very soon it was dawn. The sun rose again. Another day had begun. The birds were starting to sing, the gentle morning breeze brought the sweet fragrance of the flowers around him. It was a beautiful spring morning. But Yang Guo was oblivious, his heart frozen cold. He heard a voice in his head, “You fool! She has passed away sixteen years ago. She knew she was injured beyond help. She knew you wouldn’t want to live alone. Thus she had killed herself and tricked you into waiting for sixteen years. You stupid kid, she loved you dearly; how would you not know her intention all this time?”

Like a dead man walking, Yang Guo gingerly walked down the peak. He had not had any food nor drink for more than 24 hours. His mouth was dry. He went to a small creek, kneeled down to drink some water. When he saw his reflection on the water, he saw his hair on the side of his head had turned white. He was only thirty-six years old, right on top of his years. It was untimely for him to have white hairs. He also saw his face was dirty. He almost couldn’t recognize himself. He pulled away three strands of his hair, two of them had already turned white.

Yang Guo was very miserable. He recalled a poet written by Souw Tong Bo [I need help here …] about a ten-year separation, about a wife’s graveyard. He had parted with Xiao Long Nu for sixteen years, yet he couldn’t even found her grave, even his dream about her was shattered.

“I … I have not slept for three whole days and nights …” he said to himself.

Suddenly he jumped and ran toward the Intestine Ripping Gorge. He stood in front of the carved letters, and loudly shouted, “‘Sixteen years later, meet at this place, the love between husband and wife is profoundly deep, never fail this promise.’ Xiao Long Nu! Xiao Lung Nu! This is your own handwriting. Why didn’t you keep your promise?”

His voice was very loud, it echoed on the surrounding mountains, “Why didn’t you keep your promise? Why didn’t you keep your promise? … you keep your promise? … keep your promise?”

Yang Guo had always had a strong character, but this time he was so downhearted.

“If Long Er had died sixteen years ago, my life this past sixteen years was in vain,” he thought. He looked at the gorge. A thick fog always covered it all year long. He was never able to penetrate the fog to see the bottom of the gorge. When he threw the half-pill away it took a while for the pill to reach the bottom. He lifted up his head and cried very loud, that the Dragon Lady Flowers around him were blown away. Then he softly said, “You disappeared without any trace. I have looked for you everywhere, yet there was no sign of you. I just realized it today, that you must have jumped down this bottomless gorge! You have been there for sixteen years, aren’t you afraid you would be lonely?”

Like a hallucination he could see it clearly in his mind: Xiao Long Nu – her white dress gently swaying in the wind, came near him. Then he heard her voice seemingly from below him, “Yang-lang, Yang-lang, let not your heart be sad. Don’t be sad …!” Yang-lang means my dear husband.

Suddenly Yang Guo jumped down the bottomless gorge …

Guo Xiang followed Jin Lun Fa Wang to the Passionless Valley. Their minds and emotions were a world apart. Fa Wang was a strange man. When he hated someone, he would be like venomous snake or scorpion; but when he liked someone, he could be extremely loving and kind. He had determined to take the girl as his disciple, his successor; therefore, he tended to every single one of her needs. He treated her like Guo Xiang was his most beloved daughter. But Guo Xiang maintained a cold front toward him. She always reminded him how the Long Sleeve Ghost and the Big Headed Ghost died under his hands. She was being difficult to Fa Wang. Fa Wang was a highly respected man back when he was still in Tibet, moreover, he held the Imperial Priest position of the Mongolian Empire now. Even Khubilai – the Khan’s cousin, had always showed utmost respect to him. Guo Xiang was only a teenage girl, but she kept making derogatory remarks to him. Didn’t she mention that he was inferior to Yang Guo, and that he killed people too easily? Fa Wang was confounded, he didn’t know if he had to laugh or to cry …

Finally, they arrived at the Passionless Valley one day. They were startled by a distance cry, “Why didn’t you keep your promise?” That was Yang Guo’s cry of anguish, anger, desperation, and suffering.

Guo Xiang strained her ears. She thought the voice came from all directions. She was shocked!

“That was Brother Yang!” she shouted. “That was Brother Yang! Let’s go and see!” And she leaped forward, running toward the gorge.

Jin Lun Fa Wang followed not too far behind. He was perked up. Didn’t the girl say that he would face his archenemy? From his backpack he took out his five wheels: golden, silver, copper, iron and lead. He held them tight. Yes, he had mastered the tenth level of the Dragon and Elephant Wisdom Dexterity technique, but he also remembered that in the past sixteen years, Yang Guo and Xiao Long Nu certainly had not wasted their time. Therefore, he did not dare to underestimate them.

When Guo Xiang arrived at the Intestine Ripping Gorge, she saw Yang Guo was standing still with red flowers twirling around him. She was scared of the gorge. She realized her own level of martial arts and did not dare to come closer. All she could do was call, “Brother Yang, here I am!”

Yang Guo did not respond, he didn’t even seem to hear her. Guo Xiang was confused; she thought the man looked so extraordinary.

“Brother Yang!” she called again. “I still have one of your golden needle! Listen to me, you cannot commit suicide …”

Having said that she ran toward the bridge. But she was just halfway there when suddenly she saw Yang Guo jumped down the gorge! She was really shocked! Whether it was from her intention to help, or out of her love toward him, she kicked the ground and jumped down the gorge.

Jin Lun Fa Wang was about forty meters behind her. He saw something amiss; hence he exerted his energy to his feet and flew toward her. He wanted to grab her. However, even though lightning fast, he was still one step behind the girl. Guo Xiang’s body had already plummeted down the bottomless gorge. Fa Wang was a true skilled martial artist, he had guts! Without hesitation he moved swiftly with [hanging a golden hook] technique, leaped down and reached. It was an extremely dangerous move, because he could be falling down the gorge as well. He managed to grab the end of Guo Xiang’s robe, but it ripped and the girl’s body kept falling down into the fog below …

“Ah …!” he sighed. His hand still holding tight a piece of Guo Xiang’s clothes, his eyes stared blankly into the bottomless gorge. He stood there for quite a while until his ears heard someone’s calling, “Hey, Monk! What are you doing up there?” He turned his body around to see who was calling him.

On the hill in front of him stood six people. The one in front was an old man, but had a ruddy face. He was Zhou BuoTong. Next to him were three ladies, one of which he knew as Huang Rong. The other two were Cheng Ying and Lu WuShuang. Behind them were an elderly couple, one old monk with white hair and beard; the other was a lady in black. He didn’t know neither Reverend Yi Deng nor Ying Gu. But he remembered Zhou BuoTong and recalled his high skill. He also knew Huang Rong’s level of martial arts. She was the Eastern Heretic’s daughter AND the Northern Beggar’s disciple. He knew he was facing some formidable enemies. Furthermore, he was saddened by Guo Xiang’s death. He didn’t have any keenness to fight. Hence he only said, “Miss Guo Xiang has fallen down this gorge …”

Hearing him, the six were very shocked! Especially Huang Rong. “Was .. was that a fact?” she asked, her voice quivered.

“Why would I lie to you?” answered Jin Lun Fa Wang. “Isn’t this a piece of her clothes?” Then he waved the piece of cloth in his hand.

Huang Rong stared hard, and she recognized her daughter’s clothes. Her body trembling, her mouth tightly shut.

Zhou BuoTong was raging mad. “Smelly Monk!” he barked, “Why did you kill her? Oh, you are so ruthless!”

“It wasn’t me,” Fa Wang answered meekly.

“Why would somebody jumped down the gorge without any reason?” shouted BuoTong. “You must have pushed her! Or you made her jump!”

Fa Wang shook his head. “No, I didn’t do either,” he countered, “I wanted to take her as my disciple, I wanted to make her my successor! Why would I do her any harm …?”

“Phoey!” BuoTong spat. “That was a really nice fart! Her grandfather is the Old Master Huang! Her father is Guo Jing! Her mother is this little Huang Rong! Which of these three is not superior to you, Smelly Monk? Why in the world would she take you as her master and inherit your skills? Even if I, the Old Urchin, have mastered only some ‘three-legged cat’ techniques, those techniques are far superior to your junk copper and rusty iron wheels!”

They were quite a distance apart, but the old man’s spit had reached Fa Wang, forcing him to elude it. That spit shot like a bullet. Fa Wang was very impressed.

BuoTong was delighted with Fa Wang’s silence. He shouted again, “Didn’t she refuse to take you as her master? Weren’t you determined to take her as your disciple? Yes or no?”

Fa Wang nodded his head. How could he answer otherwise?

“There! You see?” BuoTong shouted again, “You pushed her to the gorge!”

Fa Wang was startled, and then he heaved a sigh. “I didn’t push her,” he said, “I don’t even know why she wanted to kill herself …”

Huang Rong meanwhile, was able to calm herself. She gnashed her teeth, lifted up her staff and ran toward Jin Lun Fa Wang. She surrounded the monk with attacks from her Dog Beating techniques. Her bamboo staff – even though it was not the Dog Beating Stick of the Beggar Clan, was as strong as steel.

Jin Lun Fa Wang was nervous. He didn’t want to fight. BuoTong also moved to assist Huang Rong. Fa Wang was forced to leap back five feet. Then he kicked his feet and leaped forward. With a whistling sound he jumped over Huang Rong’s head.

Mrs. Guo attacked upward, but her staff was parried by Fa Wang’s silver wheel. Both weapons collided with a loud noise. She quickly turned around to face the priest. She realized he was a highly skilled martial artist. At that time BuoTong had started to fight the priest.

Fa Wang put his wheels back into his bag. It was because Zhou BuoTong was barehanded. As a sect leader, he must maintain his pride. The opponent was barehanded; he couldn’t wield a weapon.

Huang Rong ran back and as soon as he was within reach, she thrust her staff for another attack.

(The following excerpt was translated by Athena; edited by Foxs)

After having reached the tenth level of the Dragon and Elephant Wisdom Dexterity, the Imperial Priest wanted to test out his new level on these experts. He saw that Zhou BuoTong raised his fists and attacked, so he too raised his fists and wanted to intercept Zhou's fist. Before they actually exchanged blows, Zhou BuoTong could hear a series of light popping sounds coming from the Imperial Priest's arms.

Zhou BuoTong was startled and knew that his adversary had a strange fist power and did not dare to receive it straight on. Zhou BuoTong lowered his elbow a bit and used his Vacant Fists skill.

The blow by the Imperial Priest had as much power as 1000 jin-(1 jin is 1/2 kilogram). One could not say it was comparable to the strength of dragons or elephants but it was impossible for mere flesh and blood to receive such a blow. But when he intercepted the fist of Zhou BuoTong, it felt empty and vacant like there was no strength in it at all. He was somewhat shocked and used his left palm to strike out again.

Zhou BuoTong felt that his opponent's power was incredible; he had never seen something like this before. Zhou BuoTong loved martial arts and whenever he knew someone who had a special skill he would challenge that individual to a duel. He had encountered numerous martial artists in his life, but even he had never heard or seen such strong power released by the Imperial Priest. He did not know what skill the Imperial Priest used, so he used his 72 Vacant Fists to battle him. He used void to intercept solid and nothingness to block solidity. By doing so he had rendered the awesome power of the Imperial Priest useless, but it was also impossible for him to wound his adversary. The Imperial Priest attacked with several stances now, it seems his stances could not even tickle his opponent. He became frustrated that his dexterity – which he trained many years in, had not helped him to gain the upper hand.

At this point he noticed a whooshing wind from behind; it was Huang Rong who used her bamboo cane to attack his Lintai accupoint. He raised his hand to block that attack and with one blow he had broken the bamboo cane in two halves. The remaining energy released by that blow sent the dust flying upwards and the grit to surge around.

Huang Rong was stunned and leapt aside, she thought, "This awful monk was quite formidable sixteen years ago, but now he seems to be even more powerful. That palm of his was both strange and incredible, what kind of martial arts could that be?"

Cheng Ying and Lu WuShuang saw that Huang Rong was in an unfavorable situation, they both attacked the Imperial Priest from two sides. One was using a jade flute and the other a sword. Huang Rong called out, "Be careful!" As soon as she finished, they were two cracking sounds. Both flute and sword were broken.

The Imperial Priest was saddened by the tragic death of Guo Xiang, he had no intentions of harming anyone else now. He yelled, "Out of my way!" And he did not pursue Lu WuShuang and Cheng Ying.

Suddenly a black figure appeared and Ying Gu was already standing next to him and had started to attack him, the Imperial Priest moved out his palm and wanted to strike her on the waist. Ying Gu's martial arts skill was still inferior to Huang Rong, but she was trained in the Loach Maneuvers; therefore, she was very good in evading and dodging. When she noticed a huge force coming towards her, she made two turns and three shuns and cleverly avoided that blow. The Imperial Priest did not know that her martial arts had not yet reached the level of a first rate martial arts expert, but somehow she strangely managed to avoid two of his fist attacks. He was quite shocked to see this; furthermore he felt that his incredible skill was unable to overcome two opponents now. He was becoming frightened and did not want to engage any further combat. He quickly moved away from Ying Gu, but Ying Gu put in everything she had to evade those two blows and was happy to see the Imperial Priest turning away from her. She did not dare to attack again, Zhou BuoTong yelled, "Don't run!" and he gave chase.

The Imperial Priest was about to turn around to retaliate; suddenly he heard a light sound coming towards him. A luxuriant but gentle energy force was surging towards his face. Reverend Yi Deng had used his renowned Solitary Yang Finger to block Jin Lun Fa Wang. The Imperial Priest had not considered this monk to be an expert, little did he realize that the energy released from his index finger was that powerful. Reverend Yi Deng's level of the Solitary Yang Finger had reached the level of ultimate proficient perfection, the seraphic energy released was pure, gentle but also abundant and forceful; impossible to block.

The Imperial Priest was shocked and moved aside to avoid that blast; he immediately returned a palm attack. Reverend Yi Deng saw that his palm was extremely fierce and aggressive and did not dare to block it; he glided away a few steps.

One was an enlightened, eminent Buddhist monk from the south, the other was an extraordinary Buddhist virtuoso from the north, and each just exchanged one stance but did not dare to underestimate his adversary.

Zhou BuoTong enjoyed the one-on-one duel with the Imperial Priest, but when Reverend Yi Deng joined the battle he felt it was uninteresting. So he stood aside and observed the battle.

In the beginning there was only one meter or so in between reverend Yi Deng and Imperial Priest Jin Lun, but soon after dodging palm blasts and evading finger fires the gap between them gradually became wider. They were now standing about four meters apart from each other and used their internal strengths to battle each other from afar.

Huang Rong was observing from the side and saw that the condensation emitted from Reverend Yi Deng’s head became denser and denser, she knew that he kept gathering his internal power and feared that because of his old age he would not able to withstand the Imperial Priest.

She was devastated by the death of her beloved daughter and wished to step in and help but knew the two of them were battling each other with interval energy and could not intervene now. She did not know what to do at this point, when she suddenly heard her eagles shrieking. She whistled to them and pointed at the Imperial Priest.

The pair of white eagles cried loudly and dove towards the head of the Imperial Priest. If it were the Divine Condor of Yang Guo the Imperial Priest might be a bit afraid. Even though these two white eagles were grand but they were still ordinary birds, the Imperial Priest was not afraid of mere birds. He was still battling reverend Yi Deng with everything he had and could not divert his attention to something else. Suddenly a pair of white eagles dove towards him; he could only use his left palm to strike out at the eagles. Two forceful palm energies surged towards the eagles. The eagles could not cope with such force and immediately flew up higher. Nonetheless because of this diversion Reverend Yi Deng immediately gained the upper hand. The Imperial Priest struck out a few times with his left palm bringing the battle to a draw again.

The eagles heard the repeated commands from Huang Rong, but their enemy's power was too strong and could only resort to creating a diversion, they would cry out loudly and make diving attacks at the Imperial Priest but when they were a few centimeters away from him they would redraw the attacks. They could avoid his attacks but they could not injure him. They only managed to disturb the concentration of the Imperial Priest.

When experts battle, their concentration should be at their peaks. That was the only way their internal strengths could be fully utilized. The palm energies released by Imperial Priest Jin Lun were superior to Reverend Yi Deng but when it came to self cultivation he was very much inferior to the Reverend. Furthermore he was intensely saddened by the lost of Guo Xiang, which affected his state of mind and now the eagles kept pestering him adding more frustration to his spirit.

Because of his frustration, his palm energies were affected. Reverend Yi Deng smiled and made a step forward. Huang Rong saw that reverend Yi Deng was advancing; she raised her voice and called out, "Guo Jing, Yang Guo! You're here too, let us capture him together!"

Guo Jing was her husband, she would not call out his full name, but her intention was to frighten Imperial Priest Jin Lun. If she called out [Brother Jing], the Imperial Priest would probably think [Who is that?]. And the effect of her trick would not be so effective.

Her trick worked and the Imperial Priest panicked when he heard the names Guo Jing and Yang Guo; he thought, "Those two experts are here too. I will not live to see another day."

At this point, Reverend Yi Deng made half a step forward again. In mid-air the eagles saw an advantage and the female eagle cried and dove towards the face of the Imperial Priest. Her claws were aimed for his eyes, the Imperial Priest cursed, “Confounded bird!" and raised his left palm to hit the eagle.

The female eagle broke off her attack when she was about four meters away from the Imperial Priest, it was only meant to be another diversion. The male eagle silently sneaked up from the side and when the Imperial Priest noticed it, his right claw almost grabbed his baldhead. The Imperial Priest was both angry and shocked; he whisked his palm hitting the eagle on its breast. By this time the male eagle had seized the Buddhist hat of the Imperial Priest off and was flying away, but the whisk of the Imperial Priest was incredible; the eagle could not withstand it. The male eagle made somersault in mid-air and fell down the deep ravine.

Huang Rong, Cheng Ying, Lu WuShuang and Ying Gu called out with shock.

Zhou BuoTong became angry and yelled, "Damn monk! The Old Urchin will disregard wulin traditions today and fight you too." He raised his fist and attacked the Imperial Priest from the back.

The female eagle heard the shriek of the male eagle and did not see it flying up from the ravine; she too dove towards the ravine and did not fly back up again.

The Imperial Priest was attacked from both sides and was afraid now. Although having a high martial arts skill, but how could he withstand the combined attacks of two great martial arts masters. He lost his appetite to fight and took out his golden and silver wheels to block the Solitary Yang Finger and Vacant Fists. He leant to the left and leapt up towards the left and he had made a way to the plain area of the valley. Zhou BuoTong yelled and gave chase.

The Imperial Priest went through a lot to escape and was running as fast as possible, he knew if he was detained by Zhou BuoTong he had to fight at least another few hundred stances to determine the victor. Furthermore if that old monk would take advantage of that situation he would surely perish here in this valley. Ahead was a thick forest and he was running towards it, suddenly a light sound was headed towards him; it was a small stone.

He was still a hundred paces or so away from the forest, but he did not know who shot that little stone towards him. The energy was incredible, although it was only a small stone but the whooshing sound emitted from it was very loud. It was aimed directly in his face. The Imperial Priest raised his silver wheel and blocked the stone. It broke into ten small pieces and scattered around; but two of them hit him on the face. He was not injured, but he certainly felt the pain.

He thought, "That small rock was shot from afar and shook my wheel. This person's internal strength is not inferior to the old imp and the old monk, how is it possible that such another expert exists?"

While he was stunned for a minute, an old man in a green long robe walked out of the forest. He looked very suave and distinguished. Zhou BuoTong was happy to see him and shouted, "Old Eastern Heretic! This damn monk is responsible for the death of your granddaughter. Let us capture him together."

The distinguished old man was the Master of the Peach Blossom Island Huang YaoShi. After he and Yang Guo went their separate ways he decided to wander around in the north. One particular day he saw the two white eagles at a small village, he knew either his daughter or grandchildren were around. So he decided to follow them, but he did not wish to be seen by his daughter and followed them from afar. When he saw that both Reverend Yi Deng and Zhou BuoTong could not defeat this monk, he was quite surprised. He thought that this monk was a worthy adversary and decided to intervene as well.

The Imperial Priest struck his wheels together creating a loud dang sound, similar to the cry of a dragon. He said, "I take it you are the Eastern Heretic Huang YaoShi?"

Huang YaoShi nodded and said, "Yes, I am, Reverend. What can I do for you?"

The Imperial Priest said, "Even back in Mongolia I have heard that only Eastern Heretic, Western Poison, Southern Emperor, Northern Beggar and Central Divinity were powerful in the Central Plains. It pleases me to see that you live up to your reputation. I would like to ask where are the other four great masters?"

Huang YaoShi replied, "Central Divinity, Northern Beggar and Western Poison have passed away many years ago. This reverend Yi Deng here is the Southern Emperor and Brother Zhou is the younger martial arts brother of Central Divinity."

Zhou BuoTong came fast. He said, "If my martial arts brother was still alive, would you be able to withstand ten of his stances?" (End of Athena translation)

Reverend Yi Deng also came fast. Together with Eastern Heretic, they formed a triangle surrounding Fa Wang in the middle. Fa Wang looked at Yi Deng, then at BuoTong, and finally at the Eastern Heretic. He sighed and threw his five wheels to the ground.

“If it were a one-to-one combat, I wouldn’t budge a single inch to any one of you,” he said wryly.

“You are right!” answered Zhou BuoTong, “But right now we are not having a competition on top of Mount Hua to fight over the title [The Number One Valiant Man under the Heaven!] Who would want to fight you one-to-one? Hey, Smelly Monk, you have done too much wicked deeds. You decide your own fate!”

“I have seen two out of the top five experts of the central plains,” said Fa Wang. “If I could die under your hand, I would not have any regrets. Only my highest skill: the Dragon and Elephant Wisdom Dexterity technique will not have any heir. I am the last one …”

Having finished his speech he lifted up his hand to smash his own head.

Zhou BuoTong was startled to hear the name ‘Dragon and Elephant Wisdom Dexterity technique’, without hesitation he jumped forward and fend off the priest’s hand. “Hold on!” he shouted.

“I, the old priest, could be killed, but not insulted!” said Fa Wang valiantly. “What do you want?”

“You regret the Dragon and Elephant Wisdom Dexterity technique would not have any heir,” he said, “Why don’t you teach it to me, then you kill yourself afterward. Wouldn’t that be great?”

Before Fa Wang answered, they heard flapping wings followed by the female condor flew up the gorge, her mate on her back. Both birds were wet – which showed water at the bottom of the ravine; maybe a well or a creek. The male condor’s feathers were plucked here and there, but he was still breathing. His claws still hold tight Jin Lun Fa Wang’s Buddhist cap.

As soon as the female condor placed her mate on the ground, she flew back into the ravine. After a while she reappeared with Guo Xiang on her back.

Huang Rong was shocked, but happy. “Xiang Er! Xiang Er!” she called, and ran toward the bird. She took Guo Xiang away from the bird’s back.

Fa Wang stood astounded seeing Guo Xiang was all right. Zhou BuoTong still held his hand; he had also seen what the female condor had done. He looked at Reverend Yi Deng on his right and Huang Yaoshi on his left, made faces to them and winked.

Eastern Heretic and Southern Emperor saw his expression and immediately moved in unison. As a result, Fa Wang’s right side and left breast were struck by their powerful fingers. It didn’t matter if Fa Wang was a tough man, because his attackers were experts. One was Divine Flicking Finger [Tan Zi Shen Tong] expert, while the other was Solitary Yang Finger [Yi Yang Zi] expert. The Mongolian priest uttered an ‘unh’ sound and staggered. Zhou BuoTong added a punch on his back, he laughed and said, “Go down!”

Fa Wang’s knees gave up; he fell sitting down on the ground. Zhou Buotong’s fist had hit his Zi Yang accupoint.

The three experts saw him and were secretly impressed. “This monk is really strong, he was hit three times, yet he did not collapse to the ground, he only sat down …”

Afterward the three of them came to Guo Xiang. They were trying to comfort her.

“Mother, he’s down there …” said the girl to her mother, “He’s down there … go help him, please …” Guo Xiang only managed to utter those words before she fainted. Yi Deng immediately checked her pulse. “She is all right!” he said, “She is just in shock.” Then he slowly massaged the girl’s waist. Not too long Guo Xiang slowly regained her consciousness.

“Where is Big Brother?” she asked. “Is he up here?”

“Is Yang Guo inside the ravine below?” asked Huang Rong. Guo Xiang nodded. “Yes,” she said, very soft. She wanted to say 'If he is not down there, why would I jump down?'.

“Is there any water down there?” Huang Rong asked again, seeing her daughter’s wet clothes. Guo Xiang nodded her head, and then closed her eyes. She was still too weak to say anything, only her finger pointed to the ravine.

“Yang Guo is down there, only the condor can help him,” said Huang Rong. Then she whistled calling her bird, but strangely after she had whistled several times the bird did not respond.

“Ah! This is strange,” said the master. The birds have always obeyed her commands for many years. Why didn’t it respond this time? It had never happened. Once again she whistled, loud and long.

Suddenly the bird flew up high into the clouds. She flew in circles emanating her sad cry. And then she dived down very fast. Huang Rong was shocked. “Aiyo!” she cried in her heart. Then she called, “Hey, Condor!”

Her calling was in vain; the bird continued flying down and smashed onto a mountain rock. Her head was smashed, her wings broken, she died instantly.

Everybody was stunned. They ran toward the birds only to see the male condor’s body was cold; he had already died. No wonder his mate was desperate and wanted to die too. They sighed heavily.

Huang Rong was most upset; those two birds were her companions since they were young. She shed her tears involuntarily.

Seeing all this, Li MoChou’s song echoed in Lu WuShuang’s ears,

‘O mortals, what is love? That binds beyond life on earth?
    To all corners, in pair we fly... braving summer and winter, by and by...
    Union is bliss, parting is woe, agony is boundless, for a lovelorn soul, sweetheart...
    Give me word, trail of clouds drifting forward...
    And mountains capped with snow, whither shall my lonesome shadow go?’

When she was a young girl, Lu WuShuang followed her master – Li MoChou, everywhere. Oftentimes in the dead of the night when she thought she was dreaming, she heard her master sang this song. She did not know the true meaning of love then, but now she saw it with her own eyes. That pair of condors were very much like [mandarin duck] or [bie-e] birds; they always fly in pairs. She reflected that if the female condor were still alive, she would be flying alone through the clouds and over snow-capped mountain. She was alone, her shadow solitary; how could she live much longer? Without her realizing it, her eyes turned red.

“Shi Fu, Shi Jie,” said Cheng Ying. “Brother Yang is inside the ravine below, how could we rescue him?”

Huang Rong wiped her tears. “Xiang Er, tell me the exact condition of the ravine’s bottom,” she asked, “What was happening to you?”

Guo Xiang was already feeling better. “As soon as I plummeted down the gorge, I was drown in the water at the bottom,” she answered, “I was shocked and drank a couple of mouthfuls. I don’t know how, but I was immediately pushed back up to the surface. And then Big Brother, Yang Da Ge, pulled my hair, he lifted me up …”

Hearing this Huang Rong was relieved. “Was there a big rock or something else where you could set your feet on?” she asked.

“There was a big tree right next to the water.”

“Ah …” cried her mother. “Why did you fall down?”

“That was also the first question Brother Yang asked me when he pulled me up,” answered the girl. “I took my golden needle out, I gave it to him and I said, ‘I come to ask you to take care of yourself, don’t be shortsighted’. He looked at me without blinking. Not too long the male condor fell into the water, followed by his mate. The female condor took her mate up, then she came back to rescue me. Brother Yang told me to go up, he didn’t say anything else. He lifted me up to the condor’s back. Mother, tell the bird to go back down and rescue Brother Yang …”

Huang Rong didn’t want to tell her daughter that the birds were dead. She took out her coat and wrapped it around her daughter’s body.

“I believe Yang Guo is not in a grave danger right now,” she said, turning to her companions, “Let us make a long rope to rescue him.”

That was a great idea. Everybody scattered to gather tree barks and braided them into a rope.

Except for Jin Lun Fa Wang – whose accupoints were sealed, and Guo Xiang – who were too tired, everybody worked hard. Cheng Ying, Lu WuShuang and Ying Gu braided, while Yi Deng, BuoTong, Huang YaoShi and Huang Rong gathered tree barks. They were not skilled in making rope; therefore, when the sky darkened all they had was around two hundred meters long of rope.

Even though she felt the rope was not long enough, Cheng Ying put it into the ravine anyway. She tied one end to a rock, and the other end to a tree stump; hence the rope slid down the gorge.

They kept working until it was too dark to see anything. The next morning Guo Xiang was strong enough to help. They did not hear anything from Yang Guo down under. Huang YaoShi was restless; he took out his jade flute and played a song. The sound of the flute echoed and flowed down the gorge. Usually as soon as Yang Guo heard the flute, he would whistle in response. But until the song ended the gorge was quiet, still no response, only a thin mist flowing up the gorge.

Huang Rong thought hard. She chopped a piece of wood, and carved this letter: “Are you all right? Please respond.” Then she threw the wood into the ravine.

They waited some more, still nothing … They looked at each other, anxiety in their eyes.

“Even though this gorge is deep, I believe our rope has reached its bottom,” said Cheng Ying. “Let me go down and take a look.”

“Let me!” Zhou BuoTong did not wait for an answer. Immediately he grabbed the end of the rope and climbed down. The fog inside was so thick that he couldn’t see anything. Only after nearing the bottom was he able to see around him. But he saw nobody. After a while he climbed back up, his head was covered with moss. He shook his head.

“Not even a shadow was there, let alone Yang Guo …” he said. They looked at Guo Xiang, they were perplexed.

“I am sure Brother Yang was down there, where can he go?” said the girl. “He was standing next to the big tree by the water.”

Cheng Ying didn’t say anything; she grabbed the rope and start climbing down. Lu WuShuang followed suit. And then Ying Gu, Zhou BuoTong, Huang YaoShi and Yi Deng did the same. They were worry about Yang Guo, but they were also curious.

“You have not recovered Xiang Er, don’t come down,” Huang Rong counseled her daughter. “Don’t make your mother worry about you. If your Brother Yang is down there, we certainly will rescue him, won’t we?”

Guo Xiang was anxious, but she agreed to her mother. Tears welled up in her eyes.

Huang Rong looked at Jin Lun Fa Wang, she thought, “He has been sealed for almost twelve hours. He is highly skilled, perhaps he has managed to unseal some of his accupoints …” Thus she came to him and sealed some more of his accupoints: [leng tay] at his back, [ki-kwat] just below his chest, [ceng leng yan] on his two arms. Only then did she slide down the rope. Quickly she arrived at the bottom, and sure enough, she saw a body of water like a pond or a spring. Huang YaoShi and the others were standing on the shore. She looked around but there was no Yang Guo. On her left she saw several big trees, where about thirty beehives were hung. The jade bees were flying around.

“Brother Zhou, could you catch a bee for us to look at, please?” she said to the Old Urchin. “Let’s see if it has letters on its wings.” BuoTong complied, he caught a bee. “No letters here,” he said.

Huang Rong looked around. All she could see was stonewalls a few hundred meters high. There was no way out. There were only those few peculiar looking trees, she didn’t know what kind of trees they were. She looked up, and all she could see was thick fog covering the gorge, she couldn’t even see the sun. She was thinking hard when suddenly BuoTong shouted, “Here! This one has letters on it.”

Mrs. Guo quickly looked, and sure enough, she saw the same letters on this one, ‘I am at the Passionless Valley’s bottom’. This made her think some more, and then she made up her mind. She tucked her clothes up, took a Nine Flowers Jade Revealing Pill, put it in her mouth – to repel any venomous bug or snake, and jumped into the water.

The deeper Huang Rong dived, the colder the water temperature was. She felt the cold crept into her bones. She opened her eyes underwater, but all she could see was the deep bluish green water. The water felt like ice. She was puzzled, but determined to continue her investigation. She went to the surface for another deep breath, and dived again. She went further this time, and she felt a strong buoyancy force pushing her back up. The deeper she went, the stronger the force was. She exerted her energy but it was no use, she could not reach the bottom no matter what. Except for the cold temperature, the water did not show anything special anyway. Therefore, she went back to the surface in defeat.

All could see she was cold; her lips were blue and her hair white from the frost. They were astonished. Cheng Ying and Lu WuShuang promptly gathered sticks and light a fire for Huang Rong to warm herself up.

In the meantime Guo Xiang was waiting above, she thought very hard. Why wouldn’t Brother Yang go up? Did my grandfather and mother persuade him to come? What was the real reason he killed himself? Was it because Xiao Long Nu had passed away, that they wouldn’t see each other anymore?

While she was pondering these questions, she heard Jin Lun Fa Wang cried, “Ouch!” She quickly turned her head. The priest was groaning, from the look on his face, he was in great pain.

“You asked for it!” said the girl. “Who told you to kill too easily? Hm.”

Jin Lun Fa Wang did not reply, but he kept making groaning noise while his eyes looking at her begging mercy. By nature Guo Xiang was kindhearted. She couldn’t take it anymore. “Are you really sick?” she asked.

“Your mother has sealed [leng tay] accupoint on my back and [ki kwat] below my chest. Those sealed accupoints made me suffer like a million ants were biting me,” the priest answered, “It is not only so painful but itchy as well. Why didn’t your mother seal my [shan zhong – heart center] and [yu zhen – jade pillow]?”

Guo Xiang was startled. She understood from learning with her mother, that [shan zhong] and [yu zhen] were two of the main accupoints. A little injury on these two could cause death.

“My mother does not wish for your death,” she said. “You did not thank her, but keep whining incessantly!”

Jin Lun Fa Wang showed a proud conduct. “If she sealed my [shan zhong] and [yu zhen], she would make my back and chest stiff,” he said, “She would cause me less pain. I have trained to this level; I wouldn’t be injured that easily. Could it be that she really wishes for my death?”

Guo Xiang did not believe him. “Don’t you lie to me!” She countered. “Mother said that if [shan zhong] and [yu zhen] were sealed, you would certainly die! You are only experiencing itchiness and a bit of pain. Take heart. My mother and the others will be here shortly.”

Jin Lun Fa Wang did not respond. “Miss Guo,” a little later he asked, “How do you say my treatment to you along the way?”

“Not a single complain,” answered Guo Xiang. “But you have killed the Long Sleeve Ghost and the Big Headed Ghost. You have also caused the death of my two condors. Even if your treatment to me was a lot better, I still cannot accept what you have done.”

“Very well!” shouted the priest, “An eye for an eye! You kill me to avenge the death of your friends and your birds! But remember that I have treated you well along the way; how would you repay me for that?”

“You tell me how I can repay you.”

“You have to seal my [shan zhong] and [yu zhen],” answered the priest. “That way you would lessen my suffering. That way you repay my kindness.”

Guo Xiang shook her head. “You want me to kill you?” she asked, “I will not do that.”

“But I am a man as tough as a mountain!” Fa Wang insisted, “Even if you seal those accupoints, I will not easily die. Later when your mother is here, I will beg for her mercy. Do you really think I like to die?”

Seeing his pitiful condition, Guo Xiang pondered his words. “Very well,” she thought, “I will lessen his suffering.” Then she sealed his [shan zhong] and [yu zhen] accupoints. Fa Wang immediately felt relieved. “Yes! I feel better,” he said. “Please hit harder.” Guo Xiang complied, she hit harder.

Fa Wang’s eyebrows twitched, he smiled. He did not show any sign of injury, but his countenance changed from red to white, and from white back to red again.

“OK, please hit even harder now,” he again said. Guo Xiang complied, she hit harder utilizing the technique her mother taught her.

“Good!” finally Fa Wang shouted. “My chest is not tight anymore! You see, I am not dead, aren’t I?”

Guo Xiang as astonished. “Let me hit your [yu zhen] one more time!” she said. She gently hit him then, but she hit him really heard this time.

“Thank you! Thank you!” said Fa Wang. He immediately closed his eyes. A little while later he suddenly leaped up and said with a loud voice, “OK, let’s go!”

Miss Guo was flabbergasted. “You … you …” she stammered.

Fa Wang’s left hand flew and grabbed the girl’s arm. “Let’s go!” he said. “Jin Lun Fa Wang’s skill is without equal under the heaven. How could I not know about all this rudimentary skill?” As soon as he finished talking, he immediately moved forward and Guo Xiang was dragged away.

Of course Guo Xiang was not aware that she was being deceived by the priest. Her punches had freed the priest’s accupoints. He knew the technique called [repel, reverse the artery, replace accupoint’s position, and alter the blood flow]. His level of accupoints technique was superior, while the sealing force of Huang YaoShi, BuoTong and Yi Deng had been decreased over time.

They were only a few meters away when Fa Wang suddenly had an evil thought. He saw the end of the rope tied to a tree stump. He thought that if he cut the rope, Zhou BuoTong and the others would die in the gorge, since they would have no other way of going back up. Therefore, he exerted his energy, leaped toward the tree and grabbed the rope, ready to severe it.

Guo Xiang saw his movement; she was shocked. She knew what he was up to. She could not stay silent. Her arm is still grabbed in the priest’s hand. When her other hand was within reach of the priest’s body, she made her move and hit his [yan ye] accupoint beneath his rib.

Jin Lun Fa Wang had underestimated the girl and now he had to suffer the consequence. That hit was right on target. He was stunned and immediately felt half of his body stiffened, his strength gone.

With one pull Guo Xiang was able to free herself. She went behind him and threatened, “I am going to push you down smelly monk! I hope you’ll die!”

Fa Wang was shocked, but he didn’t show it. He laughed a big laugh. He secretly exerted his internal energy to unseal his accupoint. He said, “How could you hurt me with your meager skill?”

Guo Xiang did not know that her hit actually sealed Fa Wang’s accupoint, and that Fa Wang’s body was stiff. If she pushed, he would certainly fell down. But she was afraid to repeat her past mistake, that if she touched his body one more time the priest would be able to free himself. Didn’t she hit the priest and in the end Fa Wang was free? Therefore, instead of pushing him, she jumped down and got away from him. She ran toward the gorge and shouted, “I’d rather die with my mother!” She was going to jump down the ravine.

Jin Lun Fa Wang was extremely shocked. He inhale and exhale, eventually his sealed accupoint was free. Abandoning the rope he quickly jumped after the girl.

Guo Xiang kept running in between big rocks and among the trees. If she were out on a plain, Fa Wang would certainly catch up with only two leaps. Right now the priest had to play her game. There were a lot of old trees and big rocks scattered around the Intestine Ripping Gorge. By running around like this Guo Xiang was able to elude him. They were like playing tag. Fa Wang leaped over the trees and with [wild duck descends the plain] techniques he was able to grab Guo Xiang’s arm once again.

Guo Xiang was shocked; she thought she could get away from him. She struggled in vain; but then she opened her mouth and shout at the top of her lungs, “Mother!”

Fa Wang quickly covered her mouth with his free hand. Meanwhile a voice was heard from a distance, it was Lu WuShuang, “Uh, where did Xiang Er go?”

“Pity, pity …” said Fa Wang in his heart. “I have wasted too much time.” He regretted the fact he failed to cut the rope; which force him to seal the girl’s mute accupoint and took her away as quickly as he could run. He was so confused that he couldn’t think straight. He only heard WuShuang’s voice. If he attacked her, how could WuShuang fight him? He was wary of Zhou BuoTong, Reverend Yi Deng and Huang YaoShi, who he thought were already arrived.

Huang Rong and the rest were still at the gorge’s bottom. They were trying in vain to find Yang Guo; therefore, they decided to go back up and discuss this matter later. Lu WuShuang was the first to go, followed by Cheng Ying and Ying Gu. When Huang Rong showed up, she was startled to hear them calling her daughter, “Guo Xiang! Guo Xiang! Where are you?” The women were puzzled of seeing neither Guo Xiang nor Jin Lun Fa Wang.

While Mrs. Guo was anxious, Huang YaoShi together with Reverend Yi Deng and Zhou BuoTong had arrived. They were perplexed and anxious. They looked around the valley, but could not find anything.

When they reached the valley's entrance, they only saw one of Guo Xiang's shoes.

“Shi Jie, don't you worry,” Chen Ying said, “Fa Wang must have taken Guo Xiang along with him to the south. Guo Xiang left her shoe behind to give us clue. She's just as smart as her mother."

Huang Rong believed Cheng Ying was right. She was relieved since Guo Xiang would not be in any immediate danger. Didn’t Fa Wang want to take Guo Xiang to be his disciple, to inherit his Dragon and Elephant Wisdom Dexterity technique?

End of Chapter 38.
    foxs

Hello everybody,

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who was ever involved in translating this wonder epic. I've been lurking here ever since Noodles started this whole project, and truthfully, I didn't think it would ever be completed. Now, just a chapter away (and a couple stray chapters here and there), we're almost there!

I guess I'll get straight to the point: I want to give back to the community. When the story is done, I want to make an ebook style pdf of it. I'd really hope I can use JamesG's edited version, as I think it would be even more appreciated. I can even host it too, as long as there are no legal problems with it (I don't think there will be). The only thing I need would probably be JamesG's finished product and maybe a list of all the editors/translators who have brought this wonderful masterpiece into the English language. But first and foremost, I'd like to know what the contributors think, as this is their resultant hard work after all.

- JdotLu

Quote Originally Posted by jdotlu
    Hello everybody,

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who was ever involved in translating this wonder epic. I've been lurking here ever since Noodles started this whole project, and truthfully, I didn't think it would ever be completed. Now, just a chapter away (and a couple stray chapters here and there), we're almost there!

I guess I'll get straight to the point: I want to give back to the community. When the story is done, I want to make an ebook style pdf of it. I'd really hope I can use JamesG's edited version, as I think it would be even more appreciated. I can even host it too, as long as there are no legal problems with it (I don't think there will be). The only thing I need would probably be JamesG's finished product and maybe a list of all the editors/translators who have brought this wonderful masterpiece into the English language. But first and foremost, I'd like to know what the contributors think, as this is their resultant hard work after all.

- JdotLu
    Not a problem from this end if the other poeple on this site agree. I've kept the translators name(s) up with each chapter number so that people who read it will know who was involved.
    It would be nice if xiao_long_nu, Bee Dreamer, xulien, Athena and Noodles stopped by at this stage to say hi and maybe comment.

Noodles

Yes! Nice of you to stop by. Have I told you I enjoyed your work?

Thanks , finally I am able to enjoy reading the RoCH translation...by the kindness of Jean (she's translating LS now). My only comment: WOW!

Are you sure icy-fox and fox-s, that you are not proffesional translators?

bubeng
    Last edited by Bubeng; 01-13-06 at 12:51 AM.
    There's a friend that sticks closer than a brother.

Talking Chapter 39 - Battle Of Xiang Yang

Last edited by IcyFox; 01-15-06 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubeng
    Are you sure icy-fox and fox-s, that you are not proffesional translators?
    No. RoCH is my first translation work.

No. RoCH is my first translation work.
    Will your second be continuing the LOCH translation?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG
    Will your second be continuing the LOCH translation?

Unlikely... but there's still a chance I'll do that. Maybe I'll do HSDS instead... But it's just a maybe...

By the way JamesG, do you have access to Wuxiapedia.com? Could you help us upload the translations there? I obviously don't mind it and I think Foxs wouldn't mind too.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-13-06 at 04:46 AM.

Unlikely... but there's still a chance I'll do that. Maybe I'll do HSDS instead... But it's just a maybe...

By the way JamesG, do you have access to Wuxiapedia.com? Could you help us upload the translations there? I obviously don't mind it and I think Foxs wouldn't mind too.
    [email protected]
    Actually I do, but HuangYushi on this site is a moderator there and could do it. I looked at the Noodles translations there and they are pretty well the same ones as here and still require lots of editing from my viewpoint.
    Last edited by JamesG; 01-13-06 at 05:13 AM.

There were like 3 people doing HSDS... here and in another website; translation might have even finished I don't know. If the 'maybe' becomes reality, perhaps you could get your hands on something else, like XAJH or TLBB, which along with ROCH are my fav JY novels