Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: RoCH Chap 33 Onwards

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG
    Since I'm going back thru the edited translations I may revise the name of XLN's rapist to reflect the 3rd edition change. Lots of digging to catch all the times the name comes up. Should have done it right at the beginning.
    Any objections??
    Sounds good I don't think anyone will have any objections.
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Aaargh! I checked Athena's 3rd edition changes list and the original 1st & 2nd editions rapist Yin Zhi Ping still exists as a minor character. I just wish someone could point exactly where he shows up so I don't change the name at that/those points. I guess an editors' work is never done. Heavy sigh!
    Now we can all hate Zhen Zhi Bing!

Default 3rd edition

Aaargh! I checked Athena's 3rd edition changes list and the original 1st & 2nd editions rapist Yin Zhi Ping still exists as a minor character. I just wish someone could point exactly where he shows up so I don't change the name at that/those points. I guess an editors' work is never done. Heavy sigh!
    Now we can all hate Zhen Zhi Bing!
    IMHO, don't do that. Why? Because Noodles started with the 2nd edition, and almost all of the succeeding translators continued his work using the same edition. If you change to the 3rd, then you will have to go back to Chapter 1 and edit everything. Well ... of course if you are willing to do that. I mean, just like what IcyFox did in Chapter 39 (on Jin Lun Fa Wang). For me, it doesn't really matter if the 3rd edition is newer. The basic story line is the same anyway.

Just tell your reader that this is the 2nd edition ROCH.

It's just my opinion.
    foxs

Damn it, I remember having a very bad mood that day I watched the episode of the LOCH anime where XLN was raped. Im still mad.

Default Sect vs. Clan

Can somebody clarify this thing for me:

The word 'Bai', e.g. Shaolin Bai, Wudang Bai, Emei Bai; I think it translates to 'Sect'.

What about 'Chiau' (not sure the correct pinyin) as in 'Ming Chiau'. What would be the correct translation? I inclined to think Sect as a religious group like Ming. But how about the 'Bai' then? They are not necessarily religious.

The word 'Pang', e.g. Kaypang - Beggar Clan. I think this is the correct translation, since 'Clan' (in wuxia term) could mean a group of pugilists not necessarily came from the same school.

My father (who is very well versed in Chinese and loves wuxia when he was young) explained - a long time ago - to me that 'Bai' has a higher level than 'Pang'. And 'Pang' is higher than the group of robbers or pirates (can't remember the exact term).
    foxs

Default HSDS

Quote Originally Posted by Condorfan
    2. Other translations like LOCH are going actively currently.
    Regarding HSDS, it's a pleasant news that recently the website owner Zhaomin / Kirara had informed us the website would be updated with new translation again...
    I am confused ... wuxiapedia has Athena's translation. Zhaomin has Kirara's, then this forum has william and byelnats ... How come so many people are working on Heaven Sword Dragon Saber?

I haven't read all, but could somebody enlighten me as which one I should start reading? Now that RoCH is 'almost' done, I need something to do ..
    foxs

Quote Originally Posted by fox-s
    I am confused ... wuxiapedia has Athena's translation. Zhaomin has Kirara's, then this forum has william and byelnats ... How come so many people are working on Heaven Sword Dragon Saber?

I haven't read all, but could somebody enlighten me as which one I should start reading? Now that RoCH is 'almost' done, I need something to do ..
    LOCH!!! PULEEZ!

The word 'Bai', e.g. Shaolin Bai, Wudang Bai, Emei Bai; I think it translates to 'Sect'.

What about 'Chiau' (not sure the correct pinyin) as in 'Ming Chiau'. What would be the correct translation? I inclined to think Sect as a religious group like Ming. But how about the 'Bai' then? They are not necessarily religious.

The word 'Pang', e.g. Kaypang - Beggar Clan. I think this is the correct translation, since 'Clan' (in wuxia term) could mean a group of pugilists not necessarily came from the same school.

My father (who is very well versed in Chinese and loves wuxia when he was young) explained - a long time ago - to me that 'Bai' has a higher level than 'Pang'. And 'Pang' is higher than the group of robbers or pirates (can't remember the exact term).
    During editing, Beggar Clan was used in the first bunch of translations so I changed Beggars Sect to Clan throughout. Sect generally refers to a religious connotation.

LOCH!!! PULEEZ!
    What I meant was: I need to have something to 'read' ....

On LoCH, I believe both foxes do not mind helping, but right now the novel is still under xfiberfloss and sunnysnow much more capable hands. Well ... IcyFox is certainly in their league, but not foxs .. moreover, my source is the first edition, which differs quite a bit from the second and third. For example, Yang Guo's mother was not Mu NianCi. This fact alone will make the story took a different turn. Mu NianCi died together with Yang Kang at the Iron Spear Temple.

BTW, James, somewhere along the same line, please take a look at Chapter 32:

1. Take away the sentence about the Jade Maiden Manual being perished together with Li MoChou. That was from the first edition.
    2. Athena has an excerpt of the last part of Chapter 32. The slight difference that I notice was:

foxs - YG wanted to go to Ancient Tomb but was afraid of memories of XLN
    Athena - YG did go to the Ancient Tomb and left because of the memories.

I hereby give you permission to use whatever you think is more appropriate. You can take the whole part and replace it with Athena's excerpt, or just edit that paragraph.

I think there are some other subtle differences, but I don't have the list.

Thank you for your hard work, can't wait to read the result.

PS: A little bit of good news: I have sent the rest of Chapter 40 to my editor, Da Bao. We will post it as soon as she finishes.
    Last edited by fox-s; 01-23-06 at 11:14 PM.
    foxs

A guy could get confused you know!

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

there are no person doing translation at wuxiapedia, all translation is done at spcnet and edited/transferred to wuxiapedia. Athena translation of HSDS only up to chapter 2 and Meh continue after that until the parting of ZSF-ZZR and ZWJ.

Currently Meh translation stop completely ages ago and not coming back while kirara continue HSDS translation at SPCNET and stop after that and do her own translation on another site, I think because she want to publish her translation, but then her translation is from the first edition and from indonesian version which I think the same thing that william and byelnats currently doing.

So if someone have nothing to translate, I think we should continue the one that Meh have done using the second edition. This is the thread:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...7&page=1&pp=20
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 01-24-06 at 12:25 AM.

JamesG is correct in that Pang is better translated as Clan. Chiau in Ming Chiau is dynasty, as in the Ming Dynasty. Please tell me if that's wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    there are no person doing translation at wuxiapedia, all translation is done at spcnet and edited/transferred to wuxiapedia.
    May I clarify, please: There actually are people working on translations at wuxiapedia as the first place of publication instead of spcnet. However, this fact is not too well-known because these translators are rather low-profile individuals who prefer to work quietly and gather up a sizeable amount of text before any equally quiet posting is done.

For wuxiapedia.com,
    HYS/Yushi HUANG
    cc: Candide
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

The best is to stick to the 2nd Ed of the story. 'Patching' to the 3rd edition is not advisable as omission of any slight changes might result in inconsistency of the whole story.

If the 'patch' turns out corrupted... hmmm...

Unless of course you are really so bored and have nothing better to do, try to avoid trouble...

If you really want you could still use the 2nd Ed but include alternate excerpts from the 3rd Ed (like what I did in Chap 39 - yes yes, I was very bored at that time). That way it's neater and people will immediately know what's going on.

But I think that's optional.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-24-06 at 09:48 AM.

Notice:

Translators wanted.

Foxs and I will continue Chap 25 and finish it and I'm now inviting anyone interested to take part. Applicants please send Foxs or me a PM. Work starts after Chinese New Year (Sorry readers... )

Thanks.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-24-06 at 08:20 AM.

I can try to clarify the differences.

Members of a "Bai" usually use the same style of martial arts. Usually one guy or girl who is really good at martial arts started the "Bai" and many students joined. Eventually, each student has his/her own students, and in the end you have a bunch of members using the same style of martial arts. In a way, "Bai" is like a school.

"Pang" also has a bunch of members but they don't necessary use the same style of martial arts. They got together either because they share the same believe or to further a cause they valued. In some cases, they do it for money or power. They are like members of an Union.

You are correct about "Chiau" being religious. "Chiau" is a bunch of people who share the same spiritual believe and usually worship some kind of deity. They are more like a cult or a religion.

So Shaolin Bai would be like the School of Shaolin. Beggars Pang would be like the Union of Beggars. Ming Chiau would be like the Ming Cult.

Quote Originally Posted by lostchild
    You are correct about "Chiau" being religious. "Chiau" is a bunch of people who share the same spiritual believe and usually worship some kind of deity. They are more like a cult or a religion.

So Shaolin Bai would be like the School of Shaolin. Beggars Pang would be like the Union of Beggars. Ming Chiau would be like the Ming Cult.
    Thank you! The 'Chiau' I mentioned was not the dynasty. It is the same word as in 'Chi Tu Chiau' (Christianity - not sure the pinyin). I inclined to agree with you:

Shaolin Sect, Beggar Clan, Ming Cult.

I know there are no exact translations on these words, but I just want to use consistent naming scheme.
    foxs

Default HSDS

So if someone have nothing to translate, I think we should continue the one that Meh have done using the second edition. This is the thread:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...7&page=1&pp=20
    So, IcyFox, are you up to the challenge?

But if Kirara and William and byelnats are continuing their work, wouldn't that mean we will have multiple translation on the same novel? I thought I read somewhere in this forum that Kirara is going to edit the previous chapters and continue the future chapters based on the third edition.

HuangYushi: Does that mean the work on wuxiapedia is mostly individual work, and not collective work like this forum? The reason I asked is because there are people asking for various translation in this forum. I am afraid those quiet people will be offended if we are interfering with their work.

Bottom line: I don't think I am going to some more translation work. At least not in the foreseeable future .... Yay! I am free!
    foxs

After RoCH I don't think I'm going to translate much as well. Apart from DGSD, the rest seem to be well taken care of. And I'm not really that interested in DGSD either. The reason I helped translate RoCH is because I wanted to read the story in English... Sounds kind of lame but it's true.

OK, now I'm going to need some help. Ken and others are trying to 'boot' XLN in this Wuxia Survivors game. Come on, all the RoCH fans, go save her!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=14267

Cast your votes now.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-24-06 at 08:23 PM.

so when will the story start again. u did a great job icyfox, y quit now?
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://photo.sohu.com/20040716/Img221041931.jpg'), '')