Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: RoCH Chap 33 Onwards

Job well done on the translations Icyfox, Fox-S and others. Thank you very much.

There is a slight feeling of emptiness now since the story concluded but I am hoping to get more of YG's action with his newfound skills in the soon to be translated Ch 34.
    While waiting, I might as well join Icyfox in saving the lovely XLN!

Quote Originally Posted by Yu W3i
    u did a great job icyfox, y quit now?
    Getting lazy... LOL just kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by gobie2920
    While waiting, I might as well join Icyfox in saving the lovely XLN!
    Yahoo! The RoCH Fans Strike Back.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-25-06 at 12:15 AM.

in a place where the latitude and longitude intersect

Default we need some help here!!!!!!!!!!! like heck yeah!!!!!!!!!

yeah we definetely need some ppl ta save Siu Long Nu......shes down ta 4 pts......all u gotta do is copy and paste the las vote and add 1 pt 2 Little Dragon Gurl......and then u havta wait for 4 ppl to put there votes in b4 u can vote again......ec nuff, kk??? so lets go save Siu Long Nu.....need all the help!!!!!!!! and the website is this:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=14267
    The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

Keep on voting guys we need to put YG on top and XLN second.

Default Saving XLN.

The voting is getting more intense... We need to throw in everything we've got. Some people are trying their best to boot XLN... We must double our efforts to save one of JY's most underrated swords-masters.

OK here's a tactic:
    Once XLN's points get to a safe level like 12-15 maybe we can try to boot other characters... Please try to take out those non-popular and stagnant targets first... Unlikely many will try to fight for them.

And woo hoo! This is my 200th post! I'm a Senior Member!
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-25-06 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fox-s
    I am confused ... wuxiapedia has Athena's translation. Zhaomin has Kirara's, then this forum has william and byelnats ... How come so many people are working on Heaven Sword Dragon Saber?

I haven't read all, but could somebody enlighten me as which one I should start reading? Now that RoCH is 'almost' done, I need something to do ..
    Hmm... zhaomin is in chapter 32 of HSDS already and it seems she's gonna go till the end, perhaps other books like TLBB and XAJH (which are pretty much stalled) would benefit much more from your help. Just my 0.02 cents

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    The voting is getting more intense... We need to throw in everything we've got. Some people are trying their best to boot XLN... We must double our efforts to save one of JY's most underrated swords-masters.

OK here's a tactic:
    Once XLN's points get to a safe level like 12-15 maybe we can try to boot other characters... Please try to take out those non-popular and stagnant targets first... Unlikely many will try to fight for them.

And woo hoo! This is my 200th post! I'm a Senior Member!
    waiiii!!!, there are only two XLN voters and now XLN already booted-out, this sucks

Sorry, lah... Most of the XLN supporters are not online now...
    What a waste.

Hey now we got to try save Yang Guo!!!
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-25-06 at 05:04 AM.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

beware!!! now there are planning to send YG to meet XLN in hell

HuangYushi: Does that mean the work on wuxiapedia is mostly individual work, and not collective work like this forum? The reason I asked is because there are people asking for various translation in this forum. I am afraid those quiet people will be offended if we are interfering with their work.
    Hello fox-s!

The work on wuxiapedia is not necessarily done individually. Collective work has its advantages, including cross-checks and speedier progress, so you do not have to worry about offending people. However, as a comprehensive wuxia database, we would like to have the best possible work on the wuxiapedia website. This means that if 3 different individuals or teams submit 3 different HSDS translations to wuxiapedia, we would have to publish only the best. In this context, "best" is measured by (but not limited to):

(1) the accuracy of the translation
    Example:
    Original text -- 傍晚时分来到余姚县的庵东镇。
    Actual inaccurate translation -- By nightfall he arrives at a small town....
    Should be -- By evening, he had arrived at the town of Andong in Yuyao District.

(2) the completeness of the translation
    Example:
    Original text -- 距师父九十大寿的日子已经颇为逼促,因此上急急自福建赶回,这日已到浙东钱塘江之南。
    Actual incomplete translation -- ...he now has to travel extra quickly to make it back in time for his master's birthday.
    Should be -- His teacher's 90th birthday was around the corner, so leaving Fujian quickly, he soon arrived on the southern shores of the Qiantang River in East Zhejiang.

(3) the correctness of grammar and syntax
    Example:
    Actual inconsistent use of tenses and pronoun-confusion -- With his great lightness kung fu, Yu Daiyan manages to follow the twelve people without a sound. After following for about an hour, they arrived at a beach. Suddenly, he hears a croaked whisper...

In addition, if you (and your team) would like to take on a translation that is currently being worked on by someone else (for example, Lanny's XAJH or Moin's DGSD), it is only right and respectful to write them about your intentions.

Finally, an observation: Readers tend to have voracious and near-insatiable appetites. While that is great for the growth of wuxia translations, trying to satisfy these readers may sometimes not be the best or wisest thing to do.

Hope the above helps.

HYS/Yushi HUANG
    cc: Candide
    wuxiapedia.com
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 01-25-06 at 06:28 AM.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Hi fox-s (and to anyone else who is curious about how Wuxiapedia updates stuff), I run Wuxiapedia and to put it this way, the work done in the forums is like the drafts and what are posted on Wuxiapedia are the published versions. Lots of editing (although currently not as much as we'd like to - we're still working on it) inbetween. Of course Yushi put it way better than me.

Additionally, here on the forums, threads about translations are broken up with posts like these, and disrupt the flow, which can be annoying to read.

Finally, another reason why we're sometimes behind in posting translations is because we all have full time jobs (and in some cases, that + part time job/business too) so we can be too busy at times. Always need an extra hand.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Always need an extra hand.
    Then maybe you could get Foxs to join Wuxiapedia. So anyway when can you guys update RoCH at Wuxiapedia? Do you guys need an additional editor?

I've heard news that Chap 40 is complete but I don't know how's the progress with Chap 34. Hopefully both can be published before CNY.

Default My opinion

So, IcyFox, are you up to the challenge?

But if Kirara and William and byelnats are continuing their work, wouldn't that mean we will have multiple translation on the same novel? I thought I read somewhere in this forum that Kirara is going to edit the previous chapters and continue the future chapters based on the third edition.

HuangYushi: Does that mean the work on wuxiapedia is mostly individual work, and not collective work like this forum? The reason I asked is because there are people asking for various translation in this forum. I am afraid those quiet people will be offended if we are interfering with their work.

Bottom line: I don't think I am going to some more translation work. At least not in the foreseeable future .... Yay! I am free!
    I am always here. The only difference is that whether I am needed or not. If people feel that Kirara's translation is sufficient then perhaps it is time for me to retire from the traslating arena and live in seclusion enjoying life. Pls post your opinions on this.
    I am living in exile, waiting for a little ray of hope to bring me back to where I belong.

I'm still waiting for applicants for helping out with Chap 25... This is the last part of RoCH and so it's your last chance to help translate part of this wonderful novel by Jin Yong.

William, before you retire you can always take part.

Quote Originally Posted by williamlcb
    I am always here. The only difference is that whether I am needed or not. If people feel that Kirara's translation is sufficient then perhaps it is time for me to retire from the traslating arena and live in seclusion enjoying life. Pls post your opinions on this.
    Translators are always needed in some place or the next.

I don't really understand that competition...
    ... I've read only a a bit of Jin Yong's works, but I still find it hard to believe that:
    a) they simply ignored Guo Jing and Jin Lu Fa Wang
    b) Lingu Chong is getting is *** kicked

That's a game for "most popular character". Too bad I didn't notice the game before XLN had been kicked out :\

Default wuxiapedia and spcnet

Thank you for clarifying, HuangYushi and Candide. I guess my curiosity was sparked by HuangYushi’s post that saying the wuxiapedia’s translators are ‘low-profile individuals who prefer to work quietly and gather up a sizeable amount of text before any equally quiet posting is done.’

I always thought that – as Candide wrote, the work in wuxiapedia is the ‘finished’ product, while the one in spcnet is bits and pieces. Therefore, I always thought the spcnet is the low-profile one.

As Candide pointed out, we all have ‘real jobs’ in the real world, we are not professional translators. It will take a long time for me to finish the whole chapter, I am afraid I will lose interest … that was the reason I post in bits and pieces. (I re-visited Noodles translation on the earlier chapters, and I am impressed. I won’t be able to work that fast.)

Please, I took no offense on your comment, and I ask you not to take any. I found wuxiapedia first before spcnet. I appreciate you guys very much.

As for IcyFox comment on me lending you guys a helping hand, I am afraid I am not qualified since I am Chinese illiterate. Well, not completely, but what I know is not enough to comprehend the story, let alone translate it accurately. But if you do need somebody like me to help, I would be more than happy to do so.
    foxs

Default HSDS translation(s)

Quote Originally Posted by williamlcb
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    Translators are always needed in some place or the next.
    That's true. BUT .... if more than one translations are available, then only one will be published in wuxiapedia, just like HuangYushi said. I haven't read Kirara's, but I have browsed william's. I don't see anything wrong with his work. So the issue here is 'needed' or not - or 'sufficient' or not. I just hate to have somebody work hard for nothing. I don't mean financially since we are volunteers here, but nobody else is going to enjoy the work.

Honestly, I don't have any solution for this problem. Perhaps others would share their opinion?
    foxs

Default HSDS translation

The issue with Kirara's translation is not the quality of her work, which I find is excellent - but the availability of it. It is not readily available now, and it might not be readily available in the future.

While it is desirable to have excellent quality translation, almost everyone would agree that a readable text is still better than nothing. It's easy to read a whole novel in 24 hrs and that to me is the most satisfying. To be able to read it in 1 month is less satisfying but still acceptable. To have to read it in 2 yrs does take a lot of patience and to me, that reduce some of the satisfaction in reading it.

Btw, I'm a bit confused too, where is the translation from williamlcb located?

Default Just a long-winded sharing

Firstly, I've to say that all the translators' work are high quality and really gave us the real insight of Jin Yong's story. What these people had was their passion and enthusiasm in Jin Yong's work and they translates not for money (nobody pay them), yet they spend their previous time and effort to sit down here, make countless translations and today, we have what we are able to read in this website, wuxiapedia, zhaomin.org, lannyland, etc.

I personally respect these people, and I'm sure others do.

Allow me to share: I never knew about Jin Yong till I was in my late secondary school. I'm from Malaysia and I came from a missionary school (non-chinese school). I'm a bananaman. I can only read & write very simple chinese letters (primary school level). Before this, I never knew who Jin Yong was, yet I've seen numerous tv dramas adapted from his novels. The story was so fascinating and obsessing (stuck there for the shows for hours) yet I never realised this is the work of a person name Jin Yong. There has been many versions or adaptations in TV dramas which had been modified, simplified or even deviated from the original content. I definitely don't know because I can't read chinese - deprived the chance to read Jin Yong's original novel. There's no official translated Enlgish version of his work in the market. Yes, there was this translated (Malay language) comic book of Jin Yong's work like HSDS, DGSD, ROCH in Malaysia and I also followed up that one. Comic is comic. Original novel is still the best.

It was till last year when I stumbled upon this website, and I immediately got hooked to it and it's really enjoyable to read all the translators work. Jin Yong is equivalent or maybe better than JK Rowling or Tolkien in Chinese population.

I've to admit, at times when reading the stories, we got obsessed and wanting to know the subsequent progress, which the translators were working on it. That's how JY's work fascinates others. People like me, chinese illiterate, meaning can't immediately buy Jin Yong's book at any bookstore and start reading as freely as I can. I think there are many others like me out there.

Dear all translators, it's kind of selfish to urge all of you to urgently translate as to fulfill our appetite. Needless, you all are not obliged to do that and not paid for translating. It's really out of love for the novel.

We hope one day Jin Yong's work would be fullly available in other languages and widely known to others. Let me tell you, there are many Malays in my country who are also reading about JY's story via translated comic.

Finally, I hope my sharing would reach out to readers here that: all translators - thank you for your kindness. The work of you all will always be remembered and appreciated...