Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: RoCH Chap 33 Onwards

I have a question about the sect's titles. I wonder why the females are referred to as Martial Uncle instead of Martial Aunt. Is this a male dominated gender bias thing in the Wulin world or a sign of gender equality?

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    @Bangs : Noticed my posts?
    LOL! Although you have overthrown her highness Da Bao and you are now king of posts, I must say there is a bit of cheating involved in your number of posts. You played the wuxia character survival games and incurred lots of posts while her highness Da Bao acquired them through legit posts.

Hurray the forum is back!

finally the forum has been restored!!!
    TaZzY InC

OK, I'm finally helping to translate Chap 34. I think I can finish my section by the end of this week. Hopefully the whole of Chap 34 can be finished by then too.

OK guys, here's a short article on RoCH I was requested to write by Candide and Huany Yushi. Did I miss anyone? Please tell me what you think. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RETURN OF THE CONDOR HEROES

With thanks to HanSolo, HHaung and JamesG.

Summary

This novel by Louis Cha (Jin Yong) is about the forbidden love between Yang Guo and his master Xiao Long Nu. In the story readers will read about heroism, martial arts, morals, historical events and of course, love. This is the sequel to the novel Legend of the Condor Heroes (LoCH), also by Jin Yong.

Protagonists

Yang Guo
    Main character of the story. An orphan of Yang Kang and Mu Nianci (both of LoCH) who was often bullied by others and depended on his own ingenuity and resourcefulness for survival. Guo Jing (below) and Huang Rong (below) found him and and took him to Peach Blossom Island. However, they later sent him to Quan Zhen Sect to learn martial arts. Being mischevious, Yang Guo suffered his instructor's abuses, causing him to run away after causing some trouble. He ended up at the Ancient Tomb and was taken in by Xiao Long Nu as her student. Later, master and student became aware of their deep love for each other and got married even though such a marriage is forbidden in Jianghu. After a series of misunderstandings and unfortunate events where both Yang Guo and Xiao Long Nu suffered, the couple were separated. During that long separation, Yang Guo had become a great hero in the Central Plains. He was finally reunited with Xiao Long Nu after 16 years. He was handsome, friendly, intelligent and proud. Above all, he loved Xiao Long Nu deeply. His martial arts included the Toad Stance, Quan Zhen skills, Ancient Tomb skills, the Dog-Beating Rod Techniques, Divine-Flicking Finger, Jade Flute Swordplay, Dugu Qiu Bai sword skills and finally his self-created Sad Palms.

Xiao Long Nu
    Master and (later) wife of Yang Guo. The second of the two 3rd-generation members of the Ancient Tomb, she was gentle, simple, emotionless and extremely beautiful. Because she spent most of her life isolated inside a tomb, she was unaware of the social rules or the complexity of the outside world. She took in Yang Guo as her disciple when Granny Sun died. Xiao Long Nu and Yang Guo later found out that they lwere deeply in love and got married after several trials and tribulations. Because of her emotionless nature, she had lost none of her unsurpassed beauty when the couple was finally reunited. Her martial arts included Quan Zhen skills, Ancient Tomb skills and Zhou Bo Tong’s Dual Focus. There was hardly a match for her combined Quan Zhen-Ancient Tomb swordplay.[/

Guo Jing
    Previously from LoCH, he was a hero who defended the Hans from the Mongols during the Mongolian invasion of the Central Plains. A simple and honest man, he was the diciple of the legendary Mongolian archer Zebie, the Jiangnan Seven Freaks (below) and North Beggar Hong Qi Gong(below). His wife is the beautiful and intelligent Huang Rong, also chief of the Beggars’ Clan. His archery skills were unrivaled and his martial arts included basic skills taught by the Jiangnan Seven Freaks, Quan Zhen internal skills, the powerful 18 Dragon Subduing Palms and 9 Yin Manual skills.

Huang Rong
    An intelligent and beautiful woman who is the daughter of Huang Yao Shi (below), she succeeded Hong Qi Gong as the Leader of the Beggars’ Clan. She fell in love with Guo Jing at first sight and married him at the end of LoCH. The Guo couple have 3 children: Guo Fu (below), Guo Xiang (below) and Guo Polu. Her martial arts included Huang Yao Shi’s Jade Flute Swordplay and Descending Hero’s Palm as well as Hong Qi Gong’s Dog-Beating Rod Techniques.

Antagonists

Li Mo Chou
    Also known as the Serpent Deity, she was the other of the two 3rd-Generation Ancient Tomb members. She left the tomb on her master’s orders and was later ditched by Lu Zhan Yuan. She became consumed by hatred and went on killing sprees. Many attempts by the Wulin community to stop her failed. She later got into a lot of trouble trying to obtain the Jade Heart Manual of the Ancient Tomb Sect and finally died a miserable death. Her martial arts included projectile-throwing and fly-whisk techniques from the Ancient Tomb. Her infamous Soul Freezing Needles were much-feared by many Wulin heroes.

Jin Lun Fa Wang (Golden Wheel Monk)
    The First Imperial Protector of Mongolia, he was a monk who studied martial arts and Lamaism in Tibet. He was cunning and intelligent and was held in high regard by Mongke Khan and Prince Kublai. His many attempts to seize control of the Wulin community were thwarted by Yang Guo, however. He had two diciples, Hou Du and Daerba. His primary martial arts was the powerful Dragon/Elephant Movement Skill, which he mastered to the 10th level, which was an unprecedented achievement.

Gongsun Zhi / Qiu Qian Chi
    Gongsun Zhi and Qiu Qian Chi were a couple who lived in the Passionless Valley. Their only child was Gongsun Luu E. Gongsun Zhi was a lecher who tried to force Xiao Long Nu to marry him. It was he who poisoned Yang Guo with the lethal Loveless Flower Poison. Qiu Qian Chi was crippled by Gongsun Zhi. She tried to force Yang Guo to marry Gongsun Luu E but failed.

Other Characters

The Five Greats
    The Five Greats consist of the 5 best participants of the 1st Hua Shan Tournament organized by Wang Chong Yang. They were Northern Beggar Hong Qi Gong of the Beggars’ Sect, Southern King Yi Deng of Dali, Eastern Heretic Huang Yao Shi of Peach Blossom Island, Western Poison Ouyang Feng of White Camel Mountains and Central Divinity Wang Chong Yang of Quan Zhen Sect. They were competing for the 9 Yin Manual and Wang Chong Yang emerged victor after 7 days and 7 nights. At the end of Return of the Condor Heroes, the new 5 Greats were Northern Hero Guo Jing, Southern Monk Yi Deng, Eastern Heretic Huang Yao Shi, Western Crazy/Passionate Yang Guo and Central Old Man Zhou Bo Tong.

Guo Xiang
    She was the second child of Guo Jing and Huang Rong and she was sweet, kind and intelligent. She enjoyed throwing witty remarks at her sister Guo Fu. She became a good friend of Yang Guo and later became a diciple of Jin Lun Fa Wang (3rd Ed.). After the end of Return of the Condor Heroes, she founded the E-mei Sect.

Guo Fu
    The eldest child of Guo Jing and Huang Rong, she was rash, stubborn, spoilt and irritating. In her rashness, she hacked off Yang Guo’s arm and severely poisoned Xiao Long Nu. She even hated Yang Guo and was jealous of him. She only repented much later and finally stopped hating him. She married Yelu Qi and they have no known children.

Cheng Ying / Lu Wushuang / Gongsun Luu E
    Cheng Ying and Lu Wushuang were cousins who liked Yang Guo. Unfortunately for them Yang Guo stayed faithful to Xiao Long Nu and became their sworn brother. They remained single for the rest of their lives. Gongsun Luu E was the daughter of the masters of Passionless Valley (Gongsun Zhi and Qiu Qian Zhang) and she was even more unfortunate than Cheng Ying and Lu Wushuang. She sacrificed the most for Yang Guo and finally died for him.

The Jiangnan Seven Freaks
    They were a group of 7 people who came from Jiangnan who went by the name of Jiangnan 7 Freaks. Due to a bet with Qiu Chu Ji, they went to Mongolia to teach Guo Jing martial arts. Later 1 of them died fighting Mei Chao Feng while another 5 were killed by Ouyang Feng and Yang Kang, leaving only Ke Zhen-Ee alive.

Associated Organizations

Quan Zhen Sect
    Founded by Wang Chong Yang after he lost a bet with Lin Chao Ying, he accepted 7 diciples who became known as the 7 Masters of Quan Zhen. The 7 masters consist of Ma Yu, Qiu Chu Ji, Wang Chu Yi, Tan Chu Duan, Liu Chu Xian, Hao Da Tong and Sun Bu’er. The school flourished for a period of time until the Mongolian army overran Mt. Zhong Nan where the sect was located. Other members included Yin Zhi Ping, Zhao Zhi Jing, Zhen Zibing (3rd Ed.) and Li Zhi Cang.

Ancient Tomb Sect
    Founded by Lin Chao Ying, an old friend of Wang Chong Yang, the sect was also located on Mt. Zhong Nan in the tomb that Wang Chong Yang built. The sect only accepted female diciples until Xiao Long Nu broke the rule when Granny Sun requested her to take Yang Guo in. Other decendents probably include Lady Yang of Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre (HSDS), who is speculated to be either Yang Guo and Xiao Long Nu’s granddaughter or grand diciple.

Beggars’ Clan
    Consisted of almost a million beggars all over the Central Plains, it was once headed by Hong Qi Gong who was succeeded by Huang Rong and later Yelu Qi. The sect was righteous and ever-willing to help the needy. The sect had good diplomatic relations with Shaolin Temple. Another famous chief was Qiao/Xiao Feng of Tian Long Ba Bu. The sect later fell into disarray in HSDS because of double-agents planted by the Yuan government.

END OF DOCUMENT
    Last edited by IcyFox; 02-21-06 at 03:39 AM.

It seems alright, although reading from your article, i can't envision the story and also the playfulness of YG.

You need not need to say about heroism, martial arts etc. Those are standard expected from a wuxia fiction.

Talk more about the journey that YG took into to search for love and acceptance, and the journey that XLN took in order to experience love, and the journey that they together took in order to become man and wife.

Han SOlo

Default Some edits to the text

I made some edits to Yang Guo and Xiao Long Nu's paragrahps that you have posted. Some were for clarity and some were deleted because I felt that it gave too much away... I hope you will not find my edits horrible. Thanks!

-- HH

Yang Guo
    Main character of the story. An orphan of Yang Kang and Mu Nianci (both of LoCH) who was often bullied by others and depended on his own ingenuity and resourcefulness for survival. Guo Jing (below) and Huang Rong (below) found him and and took him to Peach Blossom Island. However, they later sent him to Quan Zhen Sect to learn martial arts. However, Yang Guo suffered from his instructor's abuses at Quan Zhen that he ran away from the school after causing some trouble. He ended up at the Ancient Tomb and was taken in by Xiao Long Nu as her student. Later, master and student became aware of their deep love for each other and got married even though such a marriage is generally forbidden in the Martial World. After a series of misunderstanding and unfortunate events where both Yang Guo and Xia Long Nu suffered, the couple were separated. During that long separation, Yang Guo had became a great hero in the Central Plains by helping people everywhere he goes. He was finally reunited with Xiao Long Nu after 16 years. His martial arts included the Toad Stance, Quan Zhen skills, Ancient Tomb skills, the Dog-Beating Rod Techniques, Divine-Flicking Finger, Jade Flute Swordplay, Dugu Qiu Bai sword skills and finally his self-created Sad Palms.

Xiao Long Nu
    Master and (later) wife of Yang Guo. The second of the two 3rd-generation members of the Ancient Tomb, she was gentle, simple, emotionless and extremely beautiful. Because she spent most of her life isolated inside a tomb, she is not aware of the social rules or the complexity of the outside world. She took in Yang Guo as her apprentice when her nurse died rescuing Yang Guo from Quan Zhen Sect. Xiao Long Nu and Yang Guo found out that they love each other deeply and got married after going through several tragedies and hardships. Because of her practice of emotionless martial arts, when the couple were finally reunited, she had lost none of her unsurpassed beauty. Her martial arts included Quan Zhen skills, Ancient Tomb skills and Zhou Bo Tong’s Dual Focus. There was hardly a match for her combined Quan Zhen-Ancient Tomb swordplay.

hey guys, Alasnuyo is tranlating 'Other tales of flying fox' and there are very few activities in the section so will u guys please posts reviews and feedback to him! he may feel that he is translating to nobody, so lets encourage him to keep on translating and when u visit, post something!
    Rose blooms best near death
    You are in full bloom, Pal!

"In truth, the honeybees' sting, although extremely poisonous, could nevertheless treat various illnesses. The mysterious benefits of the Jade Bee included the cure for rheumatism and other such diseases that affected man. However, Xiao Long Nu together with Zhou Bo Tong were not familiar with medicine so they did not know that the Yu Feng needles could be used to combat poison with poison and the Cai Xue Zhu (Snow-Colored Spider) poison was only one of many."

Was this another missed antidote to the Passion Flower poison?

Cai Xue Zhu (Snow-Colored Spider)
    Can I say something about this creature, please?
    Xue ("Snow") refers to the Zhu ("spider"), so the species is actually a "Snow Spider".
    Cai (usually means "Multicoloured") refers to the "Xue-Zhu" as a whole, so the final label for the creature should logically be "Multicoloured Snow Spider".
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    Can I say something about this creature, please?
    Xue ("Snow") refers to the Zhu ("spider"), so the species is actually a "Snow Spider".
    Cai (usually means "Multicoloured") refers to the "Xue-Zhu" as a whole, so the final label for the creature should logically be "Multicoloured Snow Spider".
    Aaarrgh! I just finished that chapter!
    The really odd thing is that between ZBT and XLN they did figure out the poison against poison antidote. Wonder why it was forgotten by her for YG's Passion Flower poison?
    Last edited by JamesG; 02-15-06 at 05:00 AM.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get to it as soon as I finish translating Chap 34. Meanwhile I wouldn't mind any other ideas regarding that article.

JamesG, are you missing any chapter apart from Chap 34? I could dig it out for you. And just a short note, I update my translations quite often, so you might want to use the latest versions. (Unfortunately I told you so late... )

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll get to it as soon as I finish translating Chap 34. Meanwhile I wouldn't mind any other ideas regarding that article.

JamesG, are you missing any chapter apart from Chap 34? I could dig it out for you. And just a short note, I update my translations quite often, so you might want to use the latest versions. (Unfortunately I told you so late... )
    The only one missing for me is 34. I've re-edited up to chapter 26 but have to go back to it to revise the Snow Spider name. I've been thru all the rest once but let me know exactly which ones you've done any major changes on. e-mail me or PM as you wish.
    When I finish chapter 30 I'll send 21 thru 30 to Han at Wuxiapedia and the final ten later. He's got the revised chapters 1 & 2 up with my 'official name' "the tired eyed Wizard James" as editor.

JamesG, pls check your PM. Tks.

HHaung, can I use your idea? Tks.

Smile

Yes. Please, feel free.

I accidently double posted the chapter... so I'll edit this one and put my thoughts on it.

I’m sorry!!! I’ve posted it after rechecking it. Now that it’s been posted and now as I’m rereading it I’m noticing a few more mistakes that I should’ve noticed!!!!
    AHH!!! I’ll continue to edit chapter 34... Sorry... Sorry... I'm very sorry...

I just noticed something else... I've been coming to SPCNET less and less often!! I've delveloped a pattern like previous translators... They just continued to come less and less often until they disappeared! No!! I will not let that happen to me!! Next week is mid-winter break, so I'll have time to come here. *smacks self* No excuses!
    Last edited by Da Bao; 02-17-06 at 12:29 AM.
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

EDIT: Deleted post
    Last edited by Da Bao; 02-24-06 at 02:57 AM.
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bao
    I accidently double posted the chapter... so I'll edit this one and put my thoughts on it.

I’m sorry!!! I’ve posted it after rechecking it. Now that it’s been posted and now as I’m rereading it I’m noticing a few more mistakes that I should’ve noticed!!!!
    AHH!!! I’ll continue to edit chapter 34... Sorry... Sorry... I'm very sorry...

I just noticed something else... I've been coming to SPCNET less and less often!! I've delveloped a pattern like previous translators... They just continued to come less and less often until they disappeared! No!! I will not let that happen to me!! Next week is mid-winter break, so I'll have time to come here. *smacks self* No excuses!
    The last chapter!!! There's light at the end of the tunnel!
    I'm goint to try to bring back all of the translators so we can tell those that fell by the wayside that we owe them thanks and don't hate them for quitting. They just reached the point where they coudn't do it anymore. Feeling guilty about it is very foolish and we miss their visits.
    Last edited by JamesG; 02-17-06 at 02:07 AM.

It ended! It finally ended! The wait is over. ROCH is the first official fan translation of a JY works to be completed. Thank to all the translators.

P.S. I finally read the translation, and I spoke too soon. There is still a missing part between Part 2 and 3 of this chapter, but it was still great to have a chance to read this chapter. Hopefully, the missing part will be translated soon. Thanks all the translators for their hard work.
    Last edited by LiarLiar; 02-17-06 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bao

Mid-winter??? My my... what time zone are you in? It's almost summer here!

Quote Originally Posted by LiarLiar
    It ended! It finally ended! The wait is over. ROCH is the first offical fan translation of a JY works to be completed. Thank to all the translators.
    Don't be so happy yet, guys... There is one HUGE hole in the middle. About 11 pages long. I'm supposed to plug that hole and I'm working on it now.

(Actually I'm supposed to plug the hole before the chapter is released... But nevermind.)
    Last edited by IcyFox; 02-17-06 at 03:56 AM.