Thread: everlasting regret

Default everlasting regret

got this on order..i like sammi as a singer and her movies..
    apparently her role here is a breakthrough and its a tragic story of a shanghainese woman..

cant wait to see it.. anyone seen it?

i have not seen it, but i heard good things about it.

I've seen it. It's kind of boring and I think Sammi should have been dubbed cos I think she had lots of trouble acting and speaking Mandarin fluently at the same time.

Its about this Shanghai teenage girl called Wang Qi Yao (Sammi) who has her photos done by Mr. Cheng (Leung Kar Fai), who recommends for her to enter the Ms. Shanghai Competition, where she meets this KMT officer (Hu Jun) and becomes his mistress. Then he leaves, and she gets together with another guy (Daniel Wu), who leaves her with a kid to go to HK.

She lives through the Cultural Revolution until the 80's, and gets involved with a young guy, Ke La (Huang Que), and doesn't appreciate or know of Mr's Cheng's love for her, who waited quitely by her side all those years and let his own wife leave him out of disappointment.

I thought the story was a bit strange and needs more clarification of what on earth was going on. The plot didn't offer much and the way Wang Qi Yao was written was pretty shallow and bland. You just don't know her reasons, and you woudl just get annoyed with her choices.

Its pretty hard to feel more any of the characters because so little is shown to us about their background, and the final message is pretty ambigious.

I heard that Sammi went into depression and suicidal moments while filming this morose character, and you can quite see that in her performance, but still, I thought she could have done more better. Or maybe I just don't see sophisticated enough to be Wang Qi Yao. Maybe Carina Lau or Jacqueline Wu would be a better choice.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I read in one 'Everlasting Regret' review that Maggie Cheung was the director's first choice while Jacqueline Wu was the director's 2nd choice for the role of Wang Qi Yao.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩