Thread: The sinking of Gwok Jing, Hung 7 Gung, and Chow Bak Tung's ship

Default The sinking of Gwok Jing, Hung 7 Gung, and Chow Bak Tung's ship

In LOCH, what caused the ship that Gwok Jing, North Beggar Hung 7 Gung, and Chow Bak Tung departed Peach Blossom Island on to sink? I know the (TVB) LOCH '82 reason, but that can't be the same explanation that the novel gave.

In the latest adaptation, they took huang yaoshi's ship. the wood in the ship was only glued together. when the glue touches water, the wood will give way,

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    In the latest adaptation, they took huang yaoshi's ship. the wood in the ship was only glued together. when the glue touches water, the wood will give way,
    That was what happened in LOCH '82 too, but that theory doesn't (pardon the pun) hold water. In the adaptation, that ship existed only because East Heretic Wong Yerk See wanted to be buried at sea with his dead wife. The problem is that in the novel, Wong Yerk See's wife had been dead for years (and Wong Yerk See knew it). I think she had long since been buried in her tomb (the same one where the Gong Nam 5 Freaks would die a few months later), obviating the need for Wong Yerk See to build a ship held together by glue.

i think HR told GJ once that they are seafaring people. so could they believe that the souls are with the sea? if huang yaoshi died in the sea, his soul can meet that of his wife? while the tomb only has her body. but this is only my speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    i think HR told GJ once that they are seafaring people. so could they believe that the souls are with the sea? if huang yaoshi died in the sea, his soul can meet that of his wife? while the tomb only has her body. but this is only my speculation.
    Don't know about that, but Gwok Jing was definitely no sailor (he grew up in a place where you could hardly find a pond, let alone a sea). Hung 7 Gung and Chow Bak Tung don't strike me as experienced sailors either. It's possible that through their collective ineptitude as sailors, they just somehow got themselves capsized.

If it's true, then it only goes to show that just because you're a great martial artist, it doesn't mean you're great at *everything.*

RE Ken:

"That was what happened in LOCH '82 too, but that theory doesn't (pardon the pun) hold water. In the adaptation, that ship existed only because East Heretic Wong Yerk See wanted to be buried at sea with his dead wife. The problem is that in the novel, Wong Yerk See's wife had been dead for years (and Wong Yerk See knew it). I think she had long since been buried in her tomb (the same one where the Gong Nam 5 Freaks would die a few months later), obviating the need for Wong Yerk See to build a ship held together by glue."

Right. The thing is, though, HYS wanted to see HR grow up first, and so raised her, which is why he kept the boat. He intended for her to grow up, mature, maybe be married to another family and so be provided for, and then, finally, go off with his wife and his ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing
    Right. The thing is, though, HYS wanted to see HR grow up first, and so raised her, which is why he kept the boat. He intended for her to grow up, mature, maybe be married to another family and so be provided for, and then, finally, go off with his wife and his ship.
    Hmmm. But wasn't Wong Yerk See also training hard in the martial arts during those years...just like the other Greats (except probably South Emperor Deun Chi Hing/1 Deng the Monk)? He was planning on competing in the Second Mt. Hua Sword Tournament, wasn't he? Can't do that if he's dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Hmmm. But wasn't Wong Yerk See also training hard in the martial arts during those years...just like the other Greats (except probably South Emperor Deun Ching Hing/1 Deng the Monk)? He was planning on competing in the Second Mt. Hua Sword Tournament, wasn't he? Can't do that if he's dead.
    Perhaps in the early days before his wife is dead. possibly only ouyang is most interested in the coming Hua Shen duel.